• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I love so much early Marvel Comics Transformers

Harlock

Before the cartoon, were Marvel Comics people who created all the Transformers universe and characters, given backstory for the japanese toys. And I have very fond memories from the comics. The histories were more complex than the cartoon, but it not just that. Here a couple of things that I think made the comics special:

- The first issue managed to condense a huge amount of things:
Show Cybertron pre-war, the start of war, Autobots fighting back, asteroids threatening the planet, Autobot and Decepticons falling on Earth, Autobots going to explore Earth and learning about humans, more Autobot vs Decepticon battle, Bumblebee meeting the first human. And all that with full pages showing every character. And is fair good, giving all the task the writer need to do in just one issue.

sB7TXnv.jpg

----

- The Transformers were kinda of low tech. The body, ships, weapons and instruments were crude. And because that they mingled better with Earth, making the history better. For example, all along the history they are in a energy crisis. They don´t know how to harvest Earth resources. The Decepticons had to capture a human to convert diesel for Transformers use. What is very cool. A lot of times they are using fuel to keep functionating. Another advantage of crude tech is that make more sense for a normal mechanic help to fix Bumblebee. And make combat damages more ugly.

QcN2hz1.jpg

----

- The Autbots are always in handicap. Since the start of war, massacred by millions. In Earth, low in energy, attacked by Decepticons and humans. Most of time they are losing battles, captured or seriously damaged. And this keep me hooked to read how my favorite heroes could overcome the odds.

GTIs0mx.jpg

----

- Talking about battle damage, they were real, with pieces falling off. Not just knockout bullshit without visible damage.

9LFaXvY.jpg

----

- Cybertron become like hell for the Autobots. After Optimus crash on Earth, the Decepticons got the upper hand on Cybertron and the Autobots are living in underground, with the cities in ruins and the one captured are throw into a boiler cauldron.

lyRBAhW.jpg

----

- The Matrix of Leadership was the Creation Matrix. Later it become like the cartoon version, but early on the Creation Matrix was like a computer program able to give life to new Transformers. Optimus transfered the program to Buster Witwicky head to not be used by Shockwave. Buster did not know that and started to manipulate inanimate machines. The Creation Matrix was another plot device used to add new characters. Every year there is a new toy line of TF. So was good to be a thing that fits consistently in the history.

9Sg2P5Y.jpg

----

- The drawings were iconic. Maybe it is my nostalgia or the simple art, but I remember every page.

ZT49x0d.jpg

----

- Transformers had a lot of interactions with the average joe. The mechanic, the student, the truck driver, the loser thug. They are too different beings, but when the robots change to car or pistol, create a connection with the humans.

Zdn5BLu.jpg

----

- The history was fair complex. Even with all the limitations, the writer put elements that extended for a long period. Shockwave side plot, for example. In the first issue Megaton hints that one of our "mightiest is missing". In the third issue Ratchet try to tell Optimus about something in the Ark memory bank. In the four issue they learn the Ark defense system was not sleep in the past and send Autobots (adapted as Dinobots) to defeat Shockwave, who crashed alone. And is Shockwave who defeat the Autbots later. The same information is going to be used by Ratchet in later issues to dig out the Dinobots and take the Ark back.

ac6o9My.jpg

wondermega

I remember buying these comics when they were new (i was like 9 years old!) They were very captivating and immediately became among my favorite. In hindsight it's clear that it was "another toy comic for Marvel," meaning they were doing it to promote someone else's IP and could therefore kind of cut loose and do whatever they liked. Which was good since they didn't need to worry about connecting to the regular full Marvel Universe (except the issue with spider man, haha. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall during that meeting).
I religiously bought the comic until around the 30th issue or so? It started out quite strong but eventually began to feel like they didn't care too much between the art and the writing, but for a time it was hard to find a better comic in the mid 1980s. And then, of course, something called "The Dark Knight Returns" released shortly after..

luxsol

I really liked this series when i was younger, but it does not hold up at all.
Art can be pretty bad and the situations they'd get into were slightly better than saturday morning adventures. Only the later part of Marvel's run was any good, but even then it was just average. So i have two trades for the last half of the series.

Marvel/Larry Hama's GI Joe run was ace. Even corny shit was made believable, in that over the top Bond-type stories and villains way.
I have practically the entire original run in my office right now and i bought all the trades for ease of reading and higher quality paper/color.

I should note that I started reading Transformers first when i was a kid and didn't actually get into GI Joe until issue 118, which was near the end of its life and Hasbro was doing everything in its power to make it cool, complete with neon colors. Larry Hama did not give a fuck, so everyone acted like normal badasses despite their appearance.

I really wish there was more of this type of partnership between toy companies and comic companies again. Seeing DC do a He-Man comic was kinda cool, but Mattel was really bad at making any physical toys. Exclusive, poorly engineered, and just cheap looking.
I'm not a fan of the excuses people have made about that, in that because the 80s line used 99% of the same bodies for everyone, it means an expensive collectors line can do the same shit too

jufonuk

not tag worthy
All I remember from the U.K. comics was galvatron was super strong and insane and just smacked the shit out of everyone.

Oh and some Xmas comic with star scream and a some kid

LordRaptor

Marvel UK worked to a weekly schedule not a monthly one, so when they ran out of reprint content just went ahead and started writing their own stuff, some of which got reprinted in the US.
Simon Furman was the main writer for the UK, and he took over the US comics a few years before they were cancelled, and basically just continued the work he'd done on the UK comics not giving a shit about prior characterisations lol.
He was brought back to do some of the recent IDW Transformers comics too which is basically a literal continuation of his marvel stuff.

So 'canonically' it goes Transformers UK -> Tail end of Transformers US -> IDW for one continuous run

Harlock

Transformers UK >>>> Transformers USA

1Zv9r7z.jpg

Furman is a entire other discussion. There is not better guy who expanded Transformers lore. Even your work influenced Beast Wars, with the "Primus" he created being mentioned in the cartoon.

The bad side is that he abandoned Earth interaction. Transformers Regeneration One, set after Marvel comics series, just turn Earth in a bare nuclear desert. Is like if you are reading X-Men or Superman saving Earth for years to just someone write that later the planet was devasted.

Neff

My favourite comic ever. I hoping that one day we get a movie which reflects this angle of The Transformers. Unfortunately Michael Bay seems to like making terrible movies and putting Transformers in them.

I also preferred the sci-fi-oriented Furman of old compared to the latter day generic fantasy Furman.

Talking about battle damage, they were real, with pieces falling off.

This was just one of many things which set the Transformers comics apart from its peers. The fact that they were robots meant they could show your heroes being dismembered, crushed, melted, and suffering all kinds of graphic misfortune. It raised the stakes a little more and hammered home the idea that these characters weren't typically invulnerable cartoon characters. In that regard, it was ahead of its time.

Flare65

Neo Member
I loved these comics when I was younger. I'd be interested in buying a DVD that has scans of all these old comics if such a thing was available?

Really dontnhave the time or money to track them down individually.

I remember there was one issue where Megatron gets knocked in the head and forgets who he Is and some bank robber uses him to rob a bunch of banks. The issue ended when Megatron gets his memory back and the robber gets caught by police.

Fun stufff...would love to read all these old comics again if it were possible.

Harlock

I loved these comics when I was younger. I'd be interested in buying a DVD that has scans of all these old comics if such a thing was available?

Really dontnhave the time or money to track them down individually.

I remember there was one issue where Megatron gets knocked in the head and forgets who he Is and some bank robber uses him to rob a bunch of banks. The issue ended when Megatron gets his memory back and the robber gets caught by police.

Fun stufff...would love to read all these old comics again if it were possible.

The online version of Transformers Classic Volume 1 is 9 bucks (Kindle & comiXology). There are 13 issues and the last one (Shooting Star) is that history about Megatron without memories.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1600109357/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom