• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has Batman and Spiderman translate so well to gaming? // Honorable mention?

Both DC's Batman and Marvel's Spiderman have been able to break away from comic to Video games from their respective allies.

Would you agree? And why?

Is it their character personas that complement game genre?

Have there been other DC/Marvels character whove honorably been able to break into gaming?

For me, the recent guardian of the Galaxy game was really good.
----

Bonus: speaking strictly gaming genre now, Are these two franchises THE BEST within their gaming genres: action stealth for Batman, Action adventures for Spiderman? (Adjust the genres if you think there should be more specific)

Probably a combination of talented studios and these aren't super OP heroes so balancing the game isn't an issue, like why we will never get a decent superman game, he's op.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
GIF by Demic

Dream-Knife

Banned
I disagree. I played one of the batman games that was free on PS+ a few years ago and spiderman 1. The games look impressive, but once you get to the actual game play they are super boring mash one button to beat people up type of game.

I'm not a super hero fan though, so maybe that's what it is.

sncvsrtoip

1. They are not overpowered to the level its funny like in dragon ball or super man
2. Traversal is enjoybale becase of Batman gadgets and Spiderman webswing
3. Top tier dev talents were doing both games

TexMex

It’s the studios making them not the IP. Which is why there are countless garbage Spider-Man and Batman games over the years.

NahaNago

Because the world and the abilities/tools aren't too crazy/overpowerd and is easy to use for cartoons or games. You have the basic city you explore and the bad guys that may or may not have henchmen. I mean batman is half detective and half crime fighter so that makes for a basic game and spiderman just goes after criminals for the most part and helps folks out so having him do that around the city seems a simple enough game. Plus you have great traversal from the batmobile, grappling hooks, and spiderwebs.

Last edited:
Those are the best characters from the 2 respective publishers. The most well fleshed out, the ones with the best rogue galleries. The ones with the most pathos.
Every other character pales in comparison.
Batman is probably #1 over Spider-Man because the Joker is also the best villain in the DC universe. None of Spider-Man’s foes reaches that level. The best villain in the Marvel Universe is Magneto or Dr Doom, I personally prefer Magneto.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
More 'grounded' characters (if you can even call them that) will always translate to video games better.

I'd love to see a Blade video game in metroidvania style with combat like something from Devil May Cry 5.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Spider-Man translated so well by copying great Batman games. They already had all of the elements and then some, open world, gadgets instead of powers, auto lock on combo combat, grapple hook swinging and gliding instead of web swinging and now gliding, etc.

Lots of heroes could copy the formula in the same way but nobody's done it and I guess if more did it it'd have gotten more old than it has already (tbh I had enough with the same old open world scheme with Batman alone but whatever works for people works I guess).

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I would argue Batman doesn’t translate all that well actually because the only times it worked they had to create a very specific scenario in Arkham and then expanded that same scenario to a larger scale but it was still the same principle. So if you want to a non Arkham scenario you’re in trouble because he’s a night time vigilante that can’t go around cruising in his Batmobile solving crime. It’s an harder character to adapt than people realize.

Punisher would be a far more ideal character for gaming.

Spider-Man is less limited than Batman too, but at the same time the technological hurdles are greater.

SHA

Idk, from a 3rd person point of view, everyone seems gives a s about this from every walks of life, you don't see these kinds of reactions elsewhere, yes, in the end, it's about who gives a s about stuff.

Last edited:
Hoping Robocop is decent but I will temper my expectations. They COULD give him a jetpack for city traversal, but it doesnt seem to be an open world, nor the timeline of the movies for him to have it. But I would be open minded for that feature down the line. If the nail the shooting mechanics we can go from there (like cruising around the detroit streets in a ford taurus)

radewagon

Agreed on it being the studios, cause, honestly, those two characters are some of the hardest to get right in game form. Batman needs sneaking, fighting, and detective-work to make it successfully represent the IP. Then you put an open-world in there. Jesus, forget about it. And you've got Spiderman. Brawling, humor, webs, web-swinging, and sticking to walls. All those abilities are an invitation to glitch out and get stuck on every piece of geometry.

The characters are engaging with wonderful rogues galleries, but beyond that, it takes a lot of talent to bring their worlds, abilities, and thematic elements properly into the gaming space. But they're so universally beloved, that it's clearly worth the effort and budget to try and get them right.

To be fair, they’re largely the same game over and over again… Not a whole lot has changed from the first Batman game to the second Spider-Man game…

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
More 'grounded' characters (if you can even call them that) will always translate to video games better.

I'd love to see a Blade video game in metroidvania style with combat like something from Devil May Cry 5.

Most popular Marvel characters are actually pretty damn grounded, or atleasdt written in a grounded way as so not to over power them more often than not

Then you remember that Storm is a frikken goddess and at her worst could literally change the planet.
Dont even speak to me about Magneto or Prof X.

Spiderman and Batman translate well into video games partly because they are human.

Unlike Superman, they're vulnerable and can't send enemies flying across the planet with their punches. This vulnerability makes for more relatable and manageable gameplay. Additionally, their iconic and diverse villains, considered some of the best in comics, complement the level-based gameplay mechanics and challenges in games.

Obviously creative vision plays a crucial role as well.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They have limitations and aren't infinitely powerful so it's possible to make them believable.

Top Bottom