• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't anime get AAA video game adaptations?

Banned
Because most people don't watch anime after they turn 15 years old, the games would have a very limited appeal.

have you seen how crazy the american comic book market crashed? (because it's all pure shit) yet Marvel films are still being made...

Doom85

Why don't they make AAA animes, period?

There's your answer.

Evil Eye Stare GIF by MOODMAN

82 million copies of the Demon Slayer manga were sold in 2020 alone. This isn’t the 1980’s anymore, folks, get with the times.

Theres a ton of great anime out there, from beserk to cowboy bebop that if given the proper attention and money could make superb video games and stories. But we get stuck with asset flips from bandai namco with low budgets and rushed development. Being that some of the biggest property in one of the largest gaming markets is anime why don't we get AAA anime adaptations in the same way we get AAA comic book adaptations in the west. I doubt it, but with Sony now owning crunchyroll I hope that we can get them to invest in a AAA anime game.
Dbz got FighterZ which was amazing. Also Dragon Ball Kakarot. But yes even cross promotional stuff like Jump Force felt like Bamco didn't want to spend too much on it.

A AAA Berserk game would be nuts to see, let alone Cowboy Bebop. We can dream.
Well it would have gloss over many key sections of the story because Berserk is a dark fantasy work that pulls 0 punches. Twitter would have a field day if the game showed everything that happens in the story. The game would have to focus more on the combat then the "dark" parts of it's dark fantasy.

pramod

Banned
Maybe because it doesnt make sense to make a western style AAA game based on Japanese pop culture just to cater to a small user base of western anime fans?

I think that a lot of the Super Robot Wars games especially the classic ones are AAA titles, but those games are strictly made for a Japanese audience, its not the style of game Western gamers go for.

Last edited:
Maybe because it doesnt make sense to make a western style AAA game based on Japanese pop culture just to cater to a small user base of western anime fans?

I think that a lot of the Super Robot Wars games especially the classic ones are AAA titles, but those games are strictly made for a Japanese audience, its not the style of game Western gamers go for.
SRW play heavy on collabration with all diferent kind of series and make it into a share universe. Which is kind of like how kingdom heart or super smash brother would be or kind of like Justice league and or avenger. Kingdom heart and super smash is from japan. And we never really have a good avenger or a justice league game.

Last edited:
A AAA Berserk game would be guts to see, let alone Cowboy Bebop. We can dream.
Fixed that for ya.

Also I'd love a proper Cowboy Bebop game. That's been a dream forever. Arc System Works style graphics, mission based (not open world!) with the Bebop as your hub. Chat with the crew between missions, or play some shogi against Ein. Choose between Spike, Jet, and Faye for various missions, each with their own strengths, with the occasional story arc character specific mission. Actually come to think of it Guardians of the Galaxy came pretty close to this.

Top Bottom