• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why do ms last-gen systems become unbearable to use?

Neo_GAF

Banned
so i tried to use the 360 this weekend. it had some updates, i had problems to login into the system and then...
the fucking dashboard. it has become a pile of shit. unbearable with ads and super slow. i dont remember it being this shit. why is there no plan of manufacturers to give the possibility of going to an easy snappy dashboard or to such "high fidelity"-dashboards?
then i thought, i might check on my xbox one x. also dozens of downloads and a... a fucking slideshow. the dashboard takes so much time to load even though it is pretty much the same as the one on xbox series x. why is this so bad???
am i the only one who is disappointed of that?

MarkMe2525

I fire my 360 up more often than most, and haven't noticed any inherent slow down, but MS has introduced an even bigger problem. Because the 360 does not know how to handle these temporary licenses from Gamepass, it will often completely fuck up my ability to even sign into my account. I have to go through this weird ass process of turning autopay on and then off for it to work. I don't know why this works, but it does.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
blade wtf GIF by BBQ Films

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
This is an issue with all older consoles. The PS4 home screen is criminally slow, try playing a game then navigating to the home page and trying to load the Store, or your friends list. It's as bad as the Switch in it's current state.

SHA

The PS3 store is also terribly slow, but to be fair, at least the dashboard itself still looks good and is mostly functional. It's really hard to go back to anything without an SSD or cartridges.
Use mobile for the store, problem solved.

StereoVsn

The final 360 dash update killed the snappyness it used to have. So Happy after all these years that the Ps3 xmb remained mostly untouched and is still snappy till now.
Yeah, PS3 isn’t bad… until you have to go to the Store or to the library for past downloads. Then it’s a complete shitshow.

This is basics planned obsolescence. They don’t give a damn about past systems and make it difficult to use to push people to get new ones.

cireza

Put the console offline ? Every single console I own is offline all the time. When it is offline, it is not constantly trying to do useless network stuff.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I fire my 360 up more often than most, and haven't noticed any inherent slow down, but MS has introduced an even bigger problem. Because the 360 does not know how to handle these temporary licenses from Gamepass, it will often completely fuck up my ability to even sign into my account. I have to go through this weird ass process of turning autopay on and then off for it to work. I don't know why this works, but it does.
Yeah, I had similar issues when I tried to redownload and play MvC2 a couple months ago. The weirdest thing was that my fix was to literally transfer over my 360 licenses and account to a different 360 in order to get things to work. It took me 3 and a half hours to realize that I’m actually dogshit at MvC2.

SenkiDala

I play the PS3 time to time and it is very find, running very well, the only hard part is going on the PS network to redownload owned game, that shit is slow.

On 360 what I don't like is most of my games don't have icons but just grey rectangles, boring. Except that it runs well.

Codes 208

This is an issue with all older consoles. The PS4 home screen is criminally slow, try playing a game then navigating to the home page and trying to load the Store, or your friends list. It's as bad as the Switch in it's current state.
I replaced my hdd with a 2.5 ssd and its pretty snappy for me.

shaddam

The PS3 store is also terribly slow, but to be fair, at least the dashboard itself still looks good and is mostly functional. It's really hard to go back to anything without an SSD or cartridges.
the store is horrible but the xmb is pretty smooth even with 1TB games

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The 360 interface was always trash since they moved away from the blades. But honestly, the best thing you can do with the old systems is to just keep them disconnected from the internet. Do that, and everything should run much more smoothly.

Sushi_Combo

Yeah, PS3 isn’t bad… until you have to go to the Store or to the library for past downloads. Then it’s a complete shitshow.

This is basics planned obsolescence. They don’t give a damn about past systems and make it difficult to use to push people to get new ones.
Yeah, the store and the download list are two things I dread going through if I need to re-download something.
The previous Ps Store was low key almost perfection.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Put the console offline ? Every single console I own is offline all the time. When it is offline, it is not constantly trying to do useless network stuff.

I thought this was common sense all my old consoles that are still hooked up and use internet are offline and run like a dream xbox 360, ps3 and xbox one x

No reason to keep them online using 2005/2006 hardware to deal with 2023 internet just download everything you want one time and keep it offline xbox 360/ps3 are super smooth even today

Drizzlehell

Banned
The biggest problem that I had was with account sing in because my MS account has been password-less for a while now and it took me almost an hour before I found a solution for this because even setting the password back up didn't work and help centre articles on this subject were fucking obtuse and useless.

Overall, compared to PS3 it was a pretty arduous process and I can see this getting worse as time goes on and the old dashboard functionality degrades even further. At least as far as online functions go.

I use the 360 from time to time and haven't noticed any problems that aren't caused by my awful internet. Seems okay to me . Just got AC III for it.. going to be playing it soooon.

Last edited:
You can access the old version of the PS3 store by attempting to purchase a game’s DLC. It’s much faster.

Jesb

All these systems work slower than they use to. I also don’t remember my ps4 being as slow as it is. All the updates Bork the system.

Shifty1897

Have you tried using a PS3 recently? It's painful these days. We're just used to harder/better/faster/stronger consoles now.

Gamerguy84

Those of us with PS3 should put up a user video. Like go to store, downloads, see how much bandwidth we get. I have a 2Gb connection but winder what speed I can go on that PSN.

Also run through the UI, load a couple games, etc. I can't even stand PS4 when it comes to loading things because I'm used to speed with PS5 drive.

Anyone interested I'll do one?

violence

I tend to enjoy all the differences. It ends up being part of the "experience" going back to an old console.

Susurrus

I didn't get a Series X, since I already have a PS5 and a gaming PC w/ the Xbox app, it seemed redundant.

I do have my Xbox One S sitting around for games I already have on the console and boot it up from time to time and holy shit it's so slow just to wait for the dash to load and the ability to go to my game list. And then it doesn't help that standby doesn't work half the time so you get to do it all over again every time. I feel like they did this shit on purpose so that I'd get a Series X.

Top Bottom