• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who likes the NES and SNES CRT filters?

Do you like the optional CRT Filter?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

93xfan

Banned
On the Switch NES and SNES apps, that is.

i feel they really nailed the classic look of playing NES and SNES on my somewhat blurry old CRT growing up.

This is how I’ll play Donkey Kong Country when it is added next week.

Last edited:
VrMDSpY.jpg

5yrgGmU.jpg

Top is with CRT filter. Bottom is HD. For SNES graphics, the scanlines work very well.

On the Switch NES and SNES apps, that is.

i feel they really nailed the classic look of playing NES and SNES on my somewhat blurry old CRT growing up.

This is how I’ll play Donkey Kong Country when it is added next week.
I definitely like it as an option because I don't always want to play with it on/off.

Slightly related: it's a bit lamentable that GGXXACR+ doesn't have scanline filters as that was how I remembered it in the arcades and even on a PS2 plugged into CRT.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I'm always debating in my head which is better and try to convince myself that scan lines are better but I always end up using the upscale-smooth-out filter.

Scan lines definitely look cooler but if I'm gonna seriously play, it's off for me.

93xfan

Banned
I don't like CRT filter but I LOVE composite or s-video shaders. I use them for every game in RetroArch, which is like, a dozen consoles.

The CRT filters on the switch nes and snes apps have much more subtle scanlines. Is it the blur that you like with composite shaders?

jadefire66

The CRT filters on the switch nes and snes apps have much more subtle scanlines. Is it the blur that you like with composite shaders?

I hate being able to see each pixel. It looks very ugly. The NTSC shaders hide this by blending everything. I also play old games like Doom with texture filtering - I can't stand seeing pixels everywhere. I consider the majority of modern indie games to be ugly because of this - they don't have a texture filtering option, so I'm staring at a pixelated mess the whole time.

As for 3D games, they are usually better with a 4x internal resolution and no shaders. But if that's not possible, I will use shaders over the native res to hide some of the aliasing. Jagged edges are fugly.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I have a 70 inch TV, I have never seen a scan line filter in any game or emulator that looks good. However I got an arcade cab with a 24 inch screen a few weeks ago, and the scan lines look beautiful on that screen.

I’ll try plugging my switch into my arcade and trying it out there to see if that makes it look good.

I don't like CRT filter but I LOVE composite or s-video shaders. I use them for every game in RetroArch, which is like, a dozen consoles.
What ones do you use that work for multiple systems? The Blargg ones I mentioned only work for certain resolutions, so while for instance the actual game of Final Fantasy Tactics runs fine, the main menu and any FMV has the aspect ratio all jacked up. Apparently Blargg was designed for NES/SNES and only supports those resolutions.

My thing with the scanlines is unless you were playing with your face like two inches away from an aperture grille CRT (which weren't even that common anyway), it really didn't look as pronounced like that on the screen. Whereas a composite filter actually does look like what you would see, down to the color bleeding that the game graphics and art were designed around back then.

Last edited:

jadefire66

What ones do you use that work for multiple systems? The Blargg ones I mentioned only work for certain resolutions, so while for instance the actual game of Final Fantasy Tactics runs fine, the main menu and any FMV has the aspect ratio all jacked up. Apparently Blargg was designed for NES/SNES and only supports those resolutions.

RetroArch -> shaders -> shaders_cg/glsl/slang -> ntsc. This stuff works universally - I've yet to see an emulator that had issues with them. I don't really remember which one looks the best - there are a bunch of them in that folder. But I manually removed the scanlines by opening them in Notepad and deleting the lines with "gauss-pass" - that's the scanline effect.

Edit: They might've separated the scanline and non-scanline ones in a recent version or something. I remember having to do the thing in Notepad.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Most games need less aggressive smoothing than the dumpster fire that is composite video. You're not supposed to have dot crawl, bleeding, or fuzzy text.

93xfan

Banned

My thing with the scanlines is unless you were playing with your face like two inches away from an aperture grille CRT (which weren't even that common anyway), it really didn't look as pronounced like that on the screen. Whereas a composite filter actually does look like what you would see, down to the color bleeding that the game graphics and art were designed around back then.

i 100% agree.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They're worse than the filters used for NES and SNES Mini. On my old plasma TV the NSO filters looked OK, but on my new 4K OLED screen I actually prefer the unfiltered look, which is a first since I started to delve into emulation. I usually despise unfiltered raw pixels, and Rare's ACM games absolutely need some filtering to not look like a child's experiment with watercolor.

I seriously don't mind even the composite video look over unfiltered. Tile-based games look terrible unfiltered. Zelda II projected raw on a LCD screen can melt your eyes.

Anyway, the NSO filter is not something I'd call good. It's very low-effort.

theclaw135

Banned

OK, yes some games go there. Earthworm Jim is atypical in exhaustively using composite's effects.

Sonic has the waterfalls look better in composite, yet most of the rest of the image is worse. Or how ugly the Streets of Rage status bar gets.
A "smarter" filter able to distinguish between layers / types of objects could work wonders.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
One of the details filters tend to overlook. Scanlines aren't uniform black lines on an SD CRT, the picture is comprised of glowing pixels.
Yes, on my CRT I have to look for scanlines to really see them, while CRT filters on PC make it look like a solid black lines. It's very distracting for me personally, but Retroarch has one CRT that I liked (I dont rememeber the exact name, but I think it was "crt royal") and scanlies wernt so overhwelming.

Last edited:
I think it looks great on Sonic Mania (given the options in the menu) and work well on the 3D SEGA AGES line.

However, it depends on the game really. Some suit it better than others and I adjust accordingly.

zeomax

These black
First image looks indeed more like CRT, but on my retro SD CRT black scanlines arnt so overwhelming and picture is still bright.
These sharp black scanlines are from highend CRT TVs like the Sony Trinitron or professional CRT monitors like the Sony BVM.

pawel86ck

Banned
These black

These sharp black scanlines are from highend CRT TVs like the Sony Trinitron or professional CRT monitors like the Sony BVM.

To be fair, I have never seen 240p on BVM monitors, but on standard SD CRTs blackliness arnt so distracting. These screenshots with CRT scanlines filters shows overwhelming thick black lines. I still have my old SD CRT for 240p games and I cant see anything like that.

Birdo

Banned
Nah. I like the crispness of emulated sprites.

Scanlines were an unfortunate byproduct of old hardware. For me, the only appeal is nostalgia.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
These black

I think the preference difference is often due to some people (like myself) wanting that classic look from what their tv in the basement displayed when hooked up to RFU or composite. It’s basically nostalgia vs a high end CRT display.

theclaw135

Banned
I think the preference difference is often due to some people (like myself) wanting that classic look from what their tv in the basement displayed when hooked up to RFU or composite. It’s basically nostalgia vs a high end CRT display.

Perhaps. That monitor isn't just high end, it's twice the resolution of a regular SDTV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom