• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whining about something as little as making an account is how PC has free online.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I don't know why everyone keeps moving the goal post. The point is PC gamers have paid before to play a game online.

WoW literally didn't work unless you as a PC gamer paid a subscription correct?
Paid to play a game online where there is no free equivalent or better alternative, yes.

StueyDuck

Banned
Paid to play a game online where there is no free equivalent or better alternative, yes.
Did you have to pay... a subscription... on the PC... in order to have access to the official online functionality... of a video game named world of warcraft when it first released?

StueyDuck

Banned
Yes. Was it free on consoles?
Who gives a fuck about consoles.

The point is that pc gamers have before paid for online functionality. It's not some crazy legend that no ones heard of.

As a PC gamer and someone whose dumped 1000s of hours into wow and it expansions, I can use my brain and my wallet to realise I had to pay money to access the online functionality.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

The point is that pc gamers have before paid for online functionality. It's not some crazy legend that no ones heard of.

As a PC gamer and someone whose dumped 1000s of hours into wow and it expansions, I can use my brain and my wallet to realise I had to pay money to access the online functionality.
PC online was paid in some cases because servers are not free. Anti cheat is not free. It's expensive stuff usually unless it's all peer to peer which it is not anymore

Buggy Loop

Paying a subscription fee for an MMO

That’s your argument? That’s your « gotcha » moment?

StueyDuck

Banned
PC online was paid in some cases because servers are not free. Anti cheat is not free. It's expensive stuff usually unless it's all peer to peer which it is not anymore
But the point isnt console vs pc. The point was that as a PC gamer. The precedent for paying for online access to a game exists.

The OP speaks like it's some crazy myth coming over the hill to get us. It already exists.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
T

The point of the "paid online discussions" is paying for games that have free (and better) online as alternative.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean it's simple... in order to play world of warcraft when it released especially. Did a PC gamer have to Pay a monthly subscription to play it online?

if yes, then PC gamers have paid subscriptions to play games online.

Could you load up world of warcraft. Log in and run around the world without paying a subscription first?

MMOs are paid for individually for access to that game and only that game. That is not the equivalent of paying to gain access to gaming online across the board.

Factually, I don't pay to play Helldivers 2 online.

Here....I'll apply your own logic to that....

I mean it's simple... in order to play Helldivers 2. Did a PC gamer have to Pay a monthly subscription to play it online?

if no, then PC gamers don't have to pay subscriptions to play games online.

Could you load up Helldivers 2. Log in and run around the world without paying a subscription first?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
Paying a subscription fee for an MMO

That’s your argument? That’s your « gotcha » moment?
It's not a "gotcha" it's literally a thing that exists and has existed for many years.

Any real actual PC gamer would know and understand this.

T

The point of the "paid online discussions" is paying for games that have free (and better) online as alternative.
The discussion is about how scary Sony is going to make you now Pay for an online game on PC(they wont)

The point is that PC gamers who have been gaming on PC for a fairly long time already know that there are games which require an online subscription to play. So scary Sony is going to come and make steam for all games to have an online subscription because of helldivers2 precedent.

The precedent has already been set. And WoW was one of the biggest PC games in existent for a while .

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The point is that PC gamers who have been gaming on PC for a fairly long time already know that there are games which require an online subscription to play.
And, again, those games don't have free and better alternatives on console, MAC or wherever.

StueyDuck

Banned
MMOs are paid for individually for access to that game and only that game. That is not the equivalent of paying to gain access to gaming online across the board.

Factually, I don't pay to play Helldivers 2 online.

Here....I'll apply your own logic to that....
I think you have consoles wars too much on your mind to comprehend what I am saying.

Paying a subscription as a PC gamer to have online access to a video game already exists. And has done so for a long long time, even before WoW.

Sony isn't some bad monster bringing online services to steam (which they aren't by the way) those already exist.

Try launch FFXIV through steam and have access to all the online content without paying a subscription. Tell me how that goes

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not a "gotcha" it's literally a thing that exists and has existed for many years.

The discussion is about how scary Sony is going to make you now Pay for an online game on PC(they wont)

The point is that PC gamers who have been gaming on PC for a fairly long time already know that there are games which require an online subscription to play. So scary Sony is going to come and make steam for all games to have an online subscription because of helldivers2 precedent.

The precedent has already been set. And WoW was one of the biggest PC games in existent for a while .
pc gamers are used to cheap and free stuff. cdkeys websites, piracy, subscriptions... and free online even if it's not p2p.

feynoob

pc gamers are used to cheap and free stuff. cdkeys websites, piracy, subscriptions... and free online even if it's not p2p.
Pc arent console players who bend over for over priced online content that is mandatory and at mercy of the console owner price.

feynoob

I think you have consoles wars too much on your mind to comprehend what I am saying.

Paying a subscription as a PC gamer to have online access to a video game already exists. And has done so for a long long time, even before WoW.

Sony isn't some bad monster bringing online services to steam (which they aren't by the way) those already exist.

Try launch FFXIV through steam and have access to all the online content without paying a subscription. Tell me how that goes
Terrible logic\
Charlie Puppet GIF by Adult Swim

Buggy Loop

Dude, anyone who played any MMO since late 90’s know about subscription fees. That has nothing comparable to what console platforms ask for online fees for their shit p2p games. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Saying that WoW is precedence for Sony to come in and ask for online fees for their p2p games is laughable. Holy shit the insanity of some of you guys.

feynoob

Dude, anyone who played any MMO since late 90’s know about subscription fees. That has nothing comparable to what console platforms ask for online fees for their shit p2p games. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Saying that WoW is precedence for Sony to come in and ask for online fees for their p2p games is laughable. Holy shit the insanity of some of you guys.
What do you expect. These guys have been conditioned to online pay for too long.

AmuroChan

Wait what?

Is there not a thread about this....cuz this is the first im hearing of it.

That's not a real issue. The Philippines do not have PSN accounts natively, but we have many tens of thousands of PlayStation gamers here. When you ask PS support or go to their FAQ, they just tell you to either create a Singapore or HK PSN account. What's against TOS is using VPN, which is not necessary for creating or using a PSN account for another region. I've been using different PSN accounts for different regions since the inception of the PSN.

The logic itself doesn't make any sense to begin with. If you're on vacation and you bring your Vita along, Sony is going to ban you because you're logged into your US PSN account while vacationing in Italy?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
Terrible logic\
Charlie Puppet GIF by Adult Swim
I guess I must have paid for all those mmo subs when I didn't need to 🤷‍♂️

But why are you comparing anything?

This is all just console war nonsense and I want out, you guys are saying dumb shit that belongs on Twitter.

Yeah my subscription fee doesn't count but yours does grrrr... 🤣

The fact is and still remains that PC players have before in the Past paid money monthly to have online access to video games.

The OP statement acts like that has never existed because "whiny PC gamers get shit done" where were you all the last 1000 times before 🤣 you know how much money you would have saved me from wow and Ffxiv and that one month of guild wars

feynoob

Let me break it down to you.
Sony did not make those games. Those companies made the game. Sony charges you money for you as a consumer to use the online function, for a game you as a consumer bought.

Mmo are live service games and need other avenue to continue for long term. They arent a single player game. You cant expect a dev to support an mmo for that long without extra avenue of revenue.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Pc arent console players who bend over for over priced online content that is mandatory and at mercy of the console owner price.
But the servers are more stable and there is almost no cheating. It's a price for something.
Although I don't pay for ps+ since I almost never play online anymore.
As for mercy of console owner price... well that's the price of closed 500$ ecosystem. Of course.
That's why I buy physical games because retailers do still compete with physical games pricing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Wow! The horror! If only I could pay more for games and for the privilege of using my own internet that I also pay for.

How is any of that a bad thing? Piracy is bad but also happens on consoles. You can hack an OG switch with a paperclip and get everything free.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This thread is an example on why Rockstar avoid pc on day one release
Absolutely not.
Rockstar is always doing the same thing "pc version? No, we don't know what pc even is".
Then 6-12 months later pc version comes out for players to double dip.
It's only about double dipping otherwise people would just get the pc version

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
Let me break it down to you.
Sony did not make those games. Those companies made the game. Sony charges you money for you as a consumer to use the online function, for a game you as a consumer bought.

Mmo are live service games and need other avenue to continue for long term. They arent a single player game. You cant expect a dev to support an mmo for that long without extra avenue of revenue.
Who cares about sony

I'm out anyway its clear this thread is just a console / pc master race warrior thread.

It feels like twitter, you guys keep boxing it out 🤣

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wow! The horror! If only I could pay more for games and for the privilege of using my own internet that I also pay for.

How is any of that a bad thing? Piracy is bad but also happens on consoles. You can hack an OG switch with a paperclip and get everything free.
You can use your internet for price you pay for it... if the game i p2p. good luck.
Private servers are not free and most games run private servers.

feynoob

But the servers are more stable and there is almost no cheating. It's a price for something.
Although I don't pay for ps+ since I almost never play online anymore.
As for mercy of console owner price... well that's the price of closed 500$ ecosystem. Of course.
That's why I buy physical games because retailers do still compete with physical games pricing.
Cheating exist in all type of forms. Its just that PC is easier to cheat, unlike consoles. Console ecosystem makes it hard to cheat.

For the piracy, we can use your physical copy purchase as example for consoles. Devs dont earn money from used physical copies, just like how they dont make money from pirated games.
If you buy a used physical copy, you are denying those devs to make money from that copy, just like how pirating a game denies them that revenue.

Online servers should be provided by the devs. They sell us the product, and we as a consumer deserve what was promised from that product. Sony/MS/Nintendo shouldnt charge us money to use online function for those games. Its just a sham that they use, in order to make more money for themselves.

feynoob

Who cares about sony

I'm out anyway its clear this thread is just a console / pc master race warrior thread.

It feels like twitter, you guys keep boxing it out 🤣
Its not PC vs Console users. Its just gamers not wanting shit practices that is all.
PC gamers have been complaining about the state of day1 releases. Look at how consoles got treated by CDPR cyberpunk2077.

If we dont complain, they would get away with all kind of shit like EA with MTX.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cheating exist in all type of forms. Its just that PC is easier to cheat, unlike consoles. Console ecosystem makes it hard to cheat.

For the piracy, we can use your physical copy purchase as example for consoles. Devs dont earn money from used physical copies, just like how they dont make money from pirated games.
If you buy a used physical copy, you are denying those devs to make money from that copy, just like how pirating a game denies them that revenue.

Online servers should be provided by the devs. They sell us the product, and we as a consumer deserve what was promised from that product. Sony/MS/Nintendo shouldnt charge us money to use online function for those games. Its just a sham that they use, in order to make more money for themselves.
Obviously some truth about physical game compared to piracy but at least a copy is sold. Piracy is still on a way bigger scale if I had to guess.
I also think that basic online should be free on consoles. It's microsoft who started that. The reasoning was safer online and faster online services then...
As for cheating. It's just much harder because consoles are closed.

Fabieter

Obviously some truth about physical game compared to piracy but at least a copy is sold. Piracy is still on a way bigger scale if I had to guess.
I also think that basic online should be free on consoles. It's microsoft who started that. The reasoning was safer online and faster online services then...

Naah imagine thinking reselling is like stealing.

Reselling exist in all of physical stuff not just gaming and imagine arguing that restricting that equals actually doing a crime.

Fabieter

More stable where? With their shittier tick rates?

Less cheating has nothing to do with being paid or not.

Higher tick rates dont make much of a difference if your fps is to low to support it afaik. Meanwhile most big pc competitive games have really bad tickrates.

Buggy Loop

But why are you comparing anything?

This is all just console war nonsense and I want out, you guys are saying dumb shit that belongs on Twitter.

Yeah my subscription fee doesn't count but yours does grrrr... 🤣

The fact is and still remains that PC players have before in the Past paid money monthly to have online access to video games.

The OP statement acts like that has never existed because "whiny PC gamers get shit done" where were you all the last 1000 times before 🤣 you know how much money you would have saved me from wow and Ffxiv and that one month of guild wars

We are saying dumb shit?

Holy fuck. I'll refrain from saying what I think of your opinion because it's probably the ban hammer.

I'm glad we could establish rapidly that your opinion can go straight to the bin. Anyone with a brain can tell.

64bitmodels 64bitmodels b b but WTF bro? You told us everything is FREE on PC? How did I get stuck paying for music/movie streaming? Motherfucking high res VR p0rn! MMOs with thousands of players on a server rather than using peer-2-peer clients?? YOU TOLD ME IT WOULD BE FREE??!!

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Last edited:

feynoob

Its just greed at this point.
making it 10$ a month instead of the 60$ a year showed they dont care about the online aspect .

Buggy Loop

Everyone is using semi aimbots on consoles so I am still having much better luck if I find some cheater.

Just look at the aiming assists on consoles without any cheating or aimbots, just default console assists

What a fucking joke. Calling these competitive shooters is a gag, must be. Then add the aimbots directly connected to consoles and really, I fail to see how PC can be pointed any fingers at for "cheating". VAC 2.0 or Epic's easy anti-cheat are generally pretty fucking good comparatively.

Top Bottom