• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

While we all enjoy REmake2's success, let's take a moment to remember its fallen brothers.

GrayChild

I don't think us survival horror fans will ever see another golden era for the genre similar to the period between 1998-2005. We had the privilege to play a new high-profile horror masterpiece every 4-5 months or so, sometimes even more often. What games like Clock Tower, Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil started, soon became a separate niche, where every major publisher wanted to pursue with at least one franchise.

Not every one of them sold well, but fortunately the market back then allowed for more risky projects to be greenlit and put into production. Not that such games don't exist nowadays, but apart from Resident Evil itself coming back to its roots, Alien: Isolation becoming a thing and The Evil Within trying to bring back some of the genre's past glories, we don't get any survival horror games nowadays outside the indie scene and hide-and-seek/walking simulators like Amnesia, Outlast, Layers of Fear and SOMA.

Here's only part of the other games and franchises the genre gave us during its heyday between 1998-2005:

9kBNHfX.jpg
x5k5FNS.jpg
TgpIDP9.jpg

eCXl3TL.jpg
da4MlT7.jpg
yV4WPnx.jpg
c7J7YeO.jpg

5SWqMX8.jpg
lrwQK6M.jpg
eTFxlg1.jpg

LlmRRB1.jpg
t33mJnv.jpg
uxLzYwX.jpg
LSKVfDB.jpg

It was glorious, but it wasn't meant to last that long.

Resident Evil 4 came, and fucked it all up:

YqQE8Mz.gif

(chart courtesy of Chris's Survival Horror Quest)

Of course, everyone wanted to have its own version of RE4, with some of its design creeping in newer titles such as Silent Hill: Homecoming, Alone in the Dark (2008) and Dead Space, with varying degrees of success. Obviously, the old-school of doing things was no longer selling.

With the success of Resident Evil 2 (2019) I start to wonder, can we see some of these series back, or at least some new ones which can match them? With the interest towards P.T./Silent Hills it was never a better time to try something new that revitalizes the original formula, and with Resident Evil and The Evil Within being the only active AAA series on the market, there is A LOT of room for competition.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Yap, RE4 marked a shift in terms of survival horror to something much more action oriented.

Since then a few games tried to bring back the survival horror aspected, but didn't executed them very well imo.

Perhaps with these remakes some other games will make a return? Even if it's only from Capcom, we may still have a bunch of them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Your last paragraph sums up my feelings; Resident Evil 7 did well, RE2 remake did spectacularly well, the success of both demonstrates that people are ready for a move back towards "real" survival horror, despite the babies complaining about Mr. X.

Nice thread, but I honestly think Amnesia screwed things up for survival horror considerably more than Resident Evil 4 ever did. A few first person, hide and seek simulators are fine and all, but that’s literally all that comes out now for horror games and imo most of them look and feel the similar with no identity. I know first person games are normally much easier to make, but we need more atmospheric third person horror games. Hopefully re2’s success will cause some more to materialize. Sure re4 spawned numerous clones as well, but at least some of them tried to deviate from it a little bit.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I´m hoping for a revival of Dead Space now that goes more in the direction of the first one, maybe even more towards survival horror than the original did. But Visceral is dead and Schofield left the building a long time ago, and with EA mismanage every IP they have there is not much hope left.

I´m also hoping for a new entry in Silent Hill but the situation there is pretty much as above, maybe even worse since Konami has completely lost all of their marbles.

Anyway, it´s great to see the success of Resident Evil 2. I´m very happy that Capcom stayed true to its survival horror roots and not change it up for the modern audience with more action. It´s so good to see RE go back to where it came from and that the audiences buys it. I do enjoy the modern Resident Evil but they´ve had a solid turn now for a couple of generations so I don´t mind Capcom taking a stab at old school RE for a long time coming.

Hopefully, the success can also bring back the master himself, Shinji Mikami, to wrap up the Evil Within for a third and final installment. Or even direct a new Resident Evil to cap off his phenomenal career.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Running simulators are a bottom of the barrel design crutch born from the freedom of control the player has got ever since the switch to free camera and free aim. We learned this from the very RE2 remake: when they went with RE4-6, casual as hell games, as base for the remake, they had to come up with a way to "handicap" the player, and they chose rng aim and Mr.X being invulnerable. The totally unpredictable combination doesn't give you time to pick your moves and forces you to be on the run constantly.
To me, they're the equivalent of timed falling platforms in platformers.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I said it before in the RE2 threads, Capcom need to treat RE2 as a Reboot point, Remake RE3 and add to it, same with REveronica but take out all the stupid shit redo the story and rename it RESIDENT EVIL 4: CODE VERONICA and expand Chris's Campaign, they can bring Albert back but no stupid Matrix shit
And as much I love RE4, completely scrap it move on to RE5 that'll will be the new game in the series with a completely new story with Leon and Jill.

Xdrive05

Small point but there might be something to it: is there a desensitization effect at play here? Because if you consider where the culture was in the ‘90s, games like Resident Evil and Clock Tower had a risqué allure. Horror media was not mainstream like it is now. We didn’t have 97 seasons of The Walking Dead in our memory banks to soften the scare factor of zombies and surviving terrifying circumstances then like we do now.

I can’t get enough of the stuff personally! But I could see how a preponderance of today’s gamers don’t get as much fun from the genre as us old folks did (and still do, thankfully).

TacosNSalsa

Really hope other companies see this and realize they're sitting on gold mines. A lot of the work is already done , things like gameplay , setting ,story and plot are already there.They just need the technical side of it redone . If they come out even half as good as RE2 did , something like Silent Hill 2 would fly off shelves\servers..

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
doesn't give you time to pick your moves and forces you to be on the run constantly

I feel like you just described a good horror game. Having all the time in the world and being able to take a breather constantly doesn't sound very horror-like.

Sophist

Would you count s.t.a.l.k.e.r as survival horror? Especially the parts where you visit the secret laboratories or the sewers

TGO

Small point but there might be something to it: is there a desensitization effect at play here? Because if you consider where the culture was in the ‘90s, games like Resident Evil and Clock Tower had a risqué allure. Horror media was not mainstream like it is now. We didn’t have 97 seasons of The Walking Dead in our memory banks to soften the scare factor of zombies and surviving terrifying circumstances then like we do now.

I can’t get enough of the stuff personally! But I could see how a preponderance of today’s gamers don’t get as much fun from the genre as us old folks did (and still do, thankfully).
Ya gotta be joking, it's the complete opposite.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
With the success of Resident Evil 2 (2019) I start to wonder, can we see some of these series back, or at least some new ones which can match them? With the interest towards P.T./Silent Hills it was never a better time to try something new that revitalizes the original formula, and with Resident Evil and The Evil Within being the only active AAA series on the market, there is A LOT of room for competition.
I hope so. There's a lot of colour games around, but just a little horror.

We want creepy bloody games, dammit!
Rip_And_Tear.jpg

Last edited:

ChuyMasta

Ohh shit, I forgot about Eternal Darkness.

I guess even Nintendo noticed the survival horror money maker trend back then.

Quezacolt

I hope that with success of RE2Remake, survival horro can be good again. I'm tired of those hide-and-seek games, where the main characters are completely stupid, to the point they can't even grab a chair to try to defend themselves. Survival Horror should be scary because of the monsters, the places we visit, the lack of resources, not because our character is braindead.

Personally I´ve been tired of all the first person corridor simulators since day one and I have a hard time seeing most of the indie offerings out there as `survival horror` since they rarely include any kind of actual survival gameplay outside of "don´t get caught". When there´s no combat or resource management in these games the whole thing ends up boiling down to just running and hiding and you end up with 0 gameplay depth. The risk/reward system of trying to be safe while also being stingy with ammo is a big part of what makes the genre great.

If a developer can´t make their game scary without turning the player into a camera with legs then they´re not being very imaginative.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Your last paragraph sums up my feelings; Resident Evil 7 did well, RE2 remake did spectacularly well, the success of both demonstrates that people are ready for a move back towards "real" survival horror, despite the babies complaining about Mr. X.
People who complain about the Tyrant are just scared of him. This is a sign that the survival horror works in my opinion. Quitting or avoiding the game because of that character is a sign that the person wanted something more like RE6, rather than RE2.
Perosnally i am just waiting for the price to drop before I will go for RE2 eventually, brcause everything i saw looks amazing, however 60 bucks is too much for my taste when the game is so “short”.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Would love to see Fatal Frame (all of them) remade from scratch along with Silent Hill(s), Parasite Eve's and Siren's.
Not just a quick and dirty port/remaster or whatever, but a proper treatment, a lot of good horror games went lights out.

PrCat88

People who complain about the Tyrant are just scared of him. This is a sign that the survival horror works in my opinion. Quitting or avoiding the game because of that character is a sign that the person wanted something more like RE7, rather than RE2.
Perosnally i am just waiting for the price to drop before I will go for RE2 eventually, brcause everything i saw looks amazing, however 60 bucks is too much for my taste when the game is so “short”.
Like the greats before it, stalker enemies are great. Clock Tower, Haunting Ground, Resident Evil 7. If they remake RE3 then Nemesis isn't going to fare any better if you're too intimidated by Mr. X. That boy.....

Runs at you.
Targets you with a rocket launcher.
Has tentacle based attacks.

Best get comfortablewith Mr. X because if a RE3 remake happens then the fun has only just begun.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Like the greats before it, stalker enemies are great. Clock Tower, Haunting Ground, Resident Evil 7. If they remake RE3 then Nemesis isn't going to fare any better if you're too intimidated by Mr. X. That boy.....

Runs at you.
Targets you with a rocket launcher.
Has tentacle based attacks.

Best get comfortablewith Mr. X because if a RE3 remake happens then the fun has only just begun.
STARRSS!!!

sublimit

Banned
I wish third person horror games that relied on clever use of atmosphere,tension,level design and puzzles made a return but sadly i think the majority of gamers today prefer cheap first person jumpscare fests. Sure RE sold great but still not as much as Outlast,Amnesia and other similar "horror" games which cost much,much less than RE2 did and therefore their profits are much bigger.

Belmonte

I'm very happy with RE2. Much more of a classic RE than I anticipated. But I'm not optimistic about the genre.

To like a classic survivor horror experience the player needs to like puzzles, backtracking and resource management. Three things people usually don't like for some reason and they need to like all of them. I have friends who don't mind resource management but don't like puzzles. Backtracking is a swear-word for lots of people which makes me mad.

I truly hope I'm wrong but I don't think we will see many more AAA survivor horror like RE2.

I said it before in the RE2 threads, Capcom need to treat RE2 as a Reboot point, Remake RE3 and add to it, same with REveronica but take out all the stupid shit redo the story and rename it RESIDENT EVIL 4: CODE VERONICA and expand Chris's Campaign, they can bring Albert back but no stupid Matrix shit
And as much I love RE4, completely scrap it move on to RE5 that'll will be the new game in the series with a completely new story with Leon and Jill.

Just the thought of a Code Veronica remake with "Resident Evil 4" in the title makes me smile! CV is the true RE4. But would be too confusing, I'm afraid. I liked CV story but didn't play it as an adult yet. I remenber I didn't like the action packed first cutscene though.

I agree with you on the actual RE4. Incredible game but I would not be sad if they take it away from the timeline.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

RE2 is an absolutely incredible remake, and every second I'm playing it I can't stop thinking about how I wish there were a perfect world where there were proper remakes of Silent Hill 1-3. 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I long for the day where I could even just see a mock-up of it running on a modern engine and hardware.

I wish Konami wasn't awful. :messenger_pouting:

Just the thought of a Code Veronica remake with "Resident Evil 4" in the title makes me smile! CV is the true RE4. But would be too confusing, I'm afraid. I liked CV story but didn't play it as an adult yet. I remenber I didn't like the action packed first cutscene though.

As far as head-canon stuff, for me CV is the true RE3 while 3 is what it was always intended to be - a side-story expansion to RE2's main game.

TGO

As far as head-canon stuff, for me CV is the true RE3 while 3 is what it was always intended to be - a side-story expansion to RE2's main game.
3 is technically a prequel of such, if they remade it and expanded it I think it will earn it title of Resident Evil 3.
A lot can be done as RE3 does start in the thick of it.
And it's set 24hr before RE2

Last edited:

Belmonte

This way can work too, since RE3 doesn't add much to the franchise story arc. But I prefer to count RE3 as a main game because the theme and game design are true to the series.

Not a lot to say but the heart is in the right place! And this is what is important IMO.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be a resurgence of third person survival horror because to be brutally honest, mostly Japanese developers created those types of games and I don’t think most of them are interested in the genre anymore.

I don’t think your average developer is capable of recreating a memorable RE2 Remake, Dead Space or Silent Hill like experience and that’s why we get so many homogenized first person run and hide simulators now.

evangd007

Nice thread, but I honestly think Amnesia screwed things up for survival horror considerably more than Resident Evil 4 ever did. A few first person, hide and seek simulators are fine and all, but that’s literally all that comes out now for horror games and imo most of them look and feel the similar with no identity. I know first person games are normally much easier to make, but we need more atmospheric third person horror games. Hopefully re2’s success will cause some more to materialize. Sure re4 spawned numerous clones as well, but at least some of them tried to deviate from it a little bit.

I was never a big fan of the hide-and-seek survival horror games. To me, you generate fright in an interactive medium by juxtaposing the times when the player has power (weaker enemies, lots of ammo/healing) to the times when they are weak (low resources, bosses, stalker enemies like Mr. X and the regenerating necromorph in Dead Space). If you are always in a helpless state, then after a few encounters I cease to be afraid of enemies and instead become annoyed.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Beautiful thread. The survival horror craze was awesome back then. What a time to be alive. I'm so glad that the modern RE2 proves without a doubt that classic style survival horror can be pulled off still, single player even!

GrayChild

Does anyone remember PS1's OverBlood and Saturn's Deep Fear?

"PIPOOOOOOOOO!" Man, Overblood was so damn cheesy at times, but also with a lot of unique charm. Haven't played it for 10 years, or even more. Wonder how it'd feel nowadays.

Never tried Deep Fear myself.

Top Bottom