• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which video game series would you enjoy working on, and in what area of development would you prefer to work?

iorek21

Persona/Writer

Hoo boy....

Also, Creative Diretor for an Assassin’s Creed. The current state of the franchise is going nowhere.

NahaNago

Final Fantasy remakes and director of course. Can't pick a series so president of Capcom so I can have them make tons more cg movies, anime, and live actions of the IP's they have. Voice actor for mega man legends remake just for fun. Battle systems supervisor for Souls games so I can implement an easy mode :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Pokemon. Just give me the design tools used for gens 4 & 5 and I'll work the rest out on my own thanks.

None that exist right now. Quite frankly, no game has yet been created that hits all the right notes for me.

While there are many great games out there, sadly none of them come close to what I define a "dream" game. I am convinced to what I want from a game would not exist in my life time sadly. But who knows.

So I guess the answer is that it would only be possible if I was the person over seeing everything from the universe, characters/environments art direction and of course the core gameplay loop.

I would just hire professional writers to write the lore while guiding them on a direction of the fantasy of the game and from there they can use their skills to create interesting characters and stories.

I am a 3D artist myself and have a degree bachelor's in Game Art. But quite frankly, I haven't done it in such a long time and I am nowhere near as good as any of the real industry people out there since I ended up choosing a different career path after graduating.

I would probably brush up in my art, try to get pro and then create the characters and environments with the help of concept artists while giving them the guidance of what the world needs to look and feel like.

As I previously said, the games and games that exist right now are great but not what I want as a complete package. However, there are plenty of franchises I would take inspirations from thats for sure.

Maybe one day I can create an art piece for my idea and share with you lovely folks here at Neogaf.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Level designer/writer for Nintendo R&D4 during the NES and SNES era and then work with Eiji Aonuma on the Legend Of Zelda games (and spin-off games) from Ocarina Of Time onwards.

I would absolutely love working as a character designer for Square, or any JRPG company for that matter. Doing character designs for SNK or Arcsys would be rad as well.

Series: Final Fantasy, Nier, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters.

Having written down ideas for a dream JRPG, including setting, characters, and a plot outline, I can see myself working on worldbuilding and writing as well. Or an event planner for key scenes.

Series: Nier, Monolith Soft, new IP.

Another area I’d be interested in is battle design, especially coming up with a fun turn-based combat and enemies with different abilities/weaknesses.

Series: Skies of Arcadia, Breath of Fire.

Last edited:

SCB3

Although I'm slowly working on my own, I'd love to work for Bungie on Destiny (I'm a games dev anyway, so gameplay programmer would be perfect)

Or on Halo, both games are very much ingrained in my teen to adult years alongside Mario, Pokémon and Zelda

Cutty Flam

Banned
There is a story in Zelda games ?
It’s kind of woven into the gameplay. There are usually cutscenes and key moments in which Link will talk to someone of great importance at length guiding his adventure and/or offering a key item that is in some way significant to the overall story. Those aren’t the only elements either, the characters relay a lot of the story and lore while speaking with Link. Sometimes the game environments themselves tell a story; with or without writing

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has the most satisfying story imo. Majora’s Mask has an unforgettable story as well but it comes mostly in the way of character interactions and what takes place in Link’s adventure within the world of Termina. I’ve always viewed everything that takes place in a game as the entire story. And if the game was directed and produced with great attention to detail, then a lot of what is present in the game could potentially add to the game’s central or core story. I guess a another way to put it is that I don’t only consider the words spoken and written to be the story, but also the actions of Link and other characters. There is the central story that is presented and everything that takes place can potentially, strongly attach itself to the central story; but this happens to varying degrees. OOT did extremely well in this regard. SS, while it has a good story and adds some interesting lore, did not perform well in this category. Pretty much from ALTTP forward there has been a lot more story in the Zelda series. Link never speaks to other NPCs (he does, but we never see the dialogue and he seems to be concise in what he does say to NPCs) so naturally, these games have a different feel to their stories. But overall, I would say that a few to a handful of the games in TLoZ series have an excellent story

Bogey

Banned
Valheim, as a developer.

Game is super fun, there are tons of future enhancements they could make that are very appealing from a technical work-point of view. And it's a tiny company, meaning you'd probably get to work on a variety of interesting stuff, rather than being a developer in a 1000 people team, spending half your time in scrum meetings, and the other half programming a more responsive mtx window or some shit.

Anyways, all only theoretical of course. In practice, I'd never give up my for a job in the gaming industry with its disastrously low salaries.

Top Bottom