• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which of the big three's June events was the best?

Which of the 3 platform holders had the best June presentation?

• Nintendo

Votes: 36 33.0%
  • Sony Interactive Entertainment

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 66 60.6%
  • None

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Jubenhimer

After E3 2023 was cancelled following a lack of interest from major game companies, Most developers and publishers instead opted for special events and announcements for the season instead. Besides Geoff Kelly's Summer Games Fest, Each of the three platform holders held some form of live-stream detailing their lineup for this fall and beyond.

Sony got started first with a PlayStation Showcase in late-May. Which detailed new PS5 games coming, including extensive game-play of Spider-Man 2 and Final Fantasy XVI, and new announcements such as Fairgame$ and Concord.

Next up was Microsoft, who held two events, one dedicated to Bethesda's Starfield, and a general Xbox Games showcase, which showed off updates for games such as Hi-Fi Rush, and new announcements including a new Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Lastly was Nintendo's, who recently streamed a new episode of Nintendo Direct which revealed a remake of Super Mario RPG, alongside a brand new sidescrolling Super Mario Bros. game, and more details on Pikmin 4.

Of the three, which came out on top?

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I love my 3 consoles equally (Xseries X, PS5 & Switch) but Starfield alone won me over like a fabulous cheating girlfriend begging me to be forgiven.

I want to meet Todd Howard, rip off my dick & balls, replace them with a uterus & ovaries so I can give him a family.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
None. I think Ubisoft's was the best in terms of content: gameplay footage and release dates (I didn't like its pacing though).

If we must select between these 3, I'd go with Nintendo.

bender

What time is it?
Nintendo + Capcom + Yakuza + a pinch of FROM showing off Armored Core.

Last edited:

T0minator

UbiSoft surprisingly had the most gameplay and that's what I look for with these showcases

CGI, In-game cinematics, in-egine footage..they all do the same thing for me...nothing

Sony had the worst of the year in that regard, but the year isn't over. They can make it better...or somehow make it worse lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly each of them give me Japanese games I care about, so to me this month showcases Japanese games were the ones really delivered here.

In fact this year both my most hyped games all came from Japanese games.

LRKD

I'd rate it Nintendo, Xbox, then Sony dead last. Nintendo first, for mostly focusing on gameplay, however there were too many remake/masters, and honestly only like 20% of it interested me. But still major props for mostly being gameplay, and not really lingering too long. Then Xbox falling into second, too many updates to existing games, and new game trailers mostly being soyslop cinematic trailers, Hellblade, south of midnight, Star Wars, fable, it was far too little gameplay and dragged down the show immensely. Starfield direct was quite good though. And then last Sony for being an absolute joke outside of DD2, which was shown again at Capcoms anyways.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Nintendo was aggressively mid. Mostly more of the same reheated soup that Nintendo fans will love and everyone else will ignore. Funnily, they have skipped two games from *massive* franchises (both coming west) in the western Direct, I imagine to make more space for the reheated soup and fluff.

Microsoft was good.

Sony had Granblue Fantasy Relink which made me happy on its own.

Handel

If we got to see Metroid Prime 4 in the Nintendo Direct, it would have put it over the edge to surpass the MS conference. Super Mario Wonder looks fun, but it's not hype enough.

MS>Nintendo>>>>>>>Sony

Fredrik

1. Microsoft (Starfield)
2. Nintendo (Super Mario Bros Wonder)
3. Ubisoft (Star Wars Outlaws and Avatar)

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I love my 3 consoles equally (Xseries X, PS5 & Switch) but Starfield alone won me over like a fabulous cheating girlfriend begging me to be forgiven.

I want to meet Todd Howard, rip off my dick & balls, replace them with a uterus & ovaries so I can give him a family.
source.gif

Nintendo by a wide margin. Microsoft didn't show me anything exclusive to get hyped about beyond Starfield and honestly, it's just not my type of game. I'm not a fan of No Man's Sky either. Sony was an even bigger yawnfest beyond Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

Nintendo was the only one who brought things to the table that are actually relevant to me. For that alone, they get the gold star for this non-E3 season.

I feel like I should add that I'm pretty much a PlayStation only gamer, and Nintendo is still the only one who impressed me. Maximum lulz.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Show me the games I want to play, remakes, remaster, or whatever.
You got the games, you get the W.
It's that simple.

That said, nintendo did it for me.

Last edited:
1. Microsoft
2. Sony
3. Nintendo

Looking forward to Helldivers 2 and Marathon from Sony conference. Didn't felt as bad to me.

Nintendo conference, I dunno what to say here. Remakes and remasters galore, something I never appreciate. 2D Mario game to me looked worse than what came before I think.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo won over Microsoft for me. Sony in distant third.

Super Mario Bros Wonder
Super Mario RPG
Pikmin 4

All looked great and will be with us this year. They had lots of amazing b-tier announcements as well.

Detective Pikachu
Luigi’s Mansion 2 Switch
Princess Peach game
Pikmin 1&2 ports and shadow drop

Microsoft just felt like more soon for me.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I didn't know we get to spout shit like this.
This is like the third thread that I'm seeing with the exact same premise. Getting hyped about commercials presented by a bunch of corporate tools, and not even the games themselves, is like peak consoomerism.

Get hyped about the games themselves, who gives a shit about these showcases?

These "events" really drive home why E3 needs to come back. Using the Nintendo direct model feels "impersonal", relying only a green screen and lame ass hosts.

With E3, you are in front of a live audience, anticipation sets in. The impact is far different when you know you can feel the response from the trailer you've shown.

feynoob

Banned
This is like the third thread that I'm seeing with the exact same premise. Getting hyped about commercials presented by a bunch of corporate tools, and not even the games themselves, is like peak consoomerism.

Get hyped about the games themselves, who gives a shit about these showcases?
Everyone has their own knocks of excitement.
Just because you arent excited for these events, doesn't others aren't.

It's just of a case of you having different taste.

Top Bottom