• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where Do You Stand On The Game Boy Color Debate?

How do you feel?

• Game Boy Color is its own system

Votes: 138 41.4%
  • Game Boy Color is just an upgraded Game Boy

Votes: 195 58.6%

• Total voters

FStubbs

Separate system. It had games that wouldn't run on the previous system and a major graphical upgrade that was not on the previous system.

(Which is why the DSi and new 3DS were not new platforms. They didn't have both parts - IMO better 3D on the new 3DS was not a major graphical upgrade.)

Though I don't think this is an objective conversation. It's just my opinion, someone who disagrees isn't necessarily wrong.

baphomet

Nintendo considers them the same.
rfaZpll.png

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
because the GBC is in the exact same position as the New 3DS, which also gets lumped in with the normal 3DS

the amount of exclusive games is irrelevant as that's simply an indication on how successful they were not how different they are.

in fact the hardware jump from 3DS to New 3DS is a way bigger one than GB to GBC

so people imo need to be consistent here. if you argue that the GBC is its own thing then you also have to argue this for the New 3DS, as both have enhanced hardware, both have enhanced games and both have exclusive games.

PS4 Pro, and Xbox variants don't have exclusive games. There was no "Only for PS4 Pro" branding added when the system came out.

Nintendo launched Game Boy Color with new box art that clearly indicated it was a GBC-only game, and made a new cart with a new shape mold (they were clear) that were only compatible in GBC systems. Further, it wasn't a few random instances of needing the greater power of the upgrade, it was launched like a new platform and got hundreds of its own games.

That situation is a WORLD apart from PS4 Pro or Xbox One vs One X, or even apart from the New 3DS, which while technically having a few exclusive games it comes off as a few sloppy one-offs that demanded more CPU power. I mean Game Boy didn't even have COLOR until this upgrade came along, and ended up with HUNDREDS of games that won't work on its predecessor, due to unique hardware.

If Nintendo had released GBC without much fanfare and it ended up with only a few exclusive games, everyone would see it as just a deluxe standard Game Boy instead of its own thing. The same way we see New 3DS as just a better more preferable 3DS.
BlackTron here is making a good case.

FStubbs

Yep. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X had more power but had the same games, so they were not new platforms.

The gap between Gamecube and Wii was a lot less than most of these examples, but the Wii had a completely separate library (and a radically different control scheme), so it was a different platform from Gamecube.

But again, this is subjective.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

FStubbs

So then what is my stance?
Irrelevant. You claimed you didn't care. Yet you posted in the topic, which proves you cared enough to post in this topic.

There are tons of people who legitimately don't care because they didn't waste their time posting in the topic.

I responded directly to your claim which is proven false the moment you made it. Take your L and move on.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Irrelevant. You claimed you didn't care. Yet you posted in the topic, which proves you cared enough to post in this topic.

There are tons of people who legitimately don't care because they didn't waste their time posting in the topic.

I responded directly to your claim which is proven false the moment you made it. Take your L and move on.
lol are you on drugs?

Shifty

A pointless debate that has about as much rhetorical worth as McDonalds trying to manufacture reasons for luddites to have Twitter fights over the legitimacy of adding bacon to a Big Mac.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The reason I would call it its own system is because it successfully displaced the original, something "upgrades" like the DSi and New 3DS never do. DSi may have had a significant library of downloadable exclusives (and so I would consider DSiWare a distinct "platform"), but the main draw of the system was always playing DS games.

Now I'm not sure that was Nintendo's intent. When it first came out it was really mostly cross compatible games with enhanced features for GBC. But the market was so hungry for a new handheld it took on a life of its own and before long exclusive GBC games eclipsed the original GB.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
A pointless debate that has about as much rhetorical worth as McDonalds trying to manufacture reasons for luddites to have Twitter fights over the legitimacy of adding bacon to a Big Mac.
iF iT,S pOiNtLeSs Y r U pOsTiNg?

Codes 208

Ive said piece before but i since this thread got bumped, the gameboy color is more of its own hardware than any pro/x model ever made for one main reason: it had major first and third party exclusives and was treated as its own system by nintendo.

Not in a “plays better on” as with something like the one x or ps4 pro or even the oled (or any of nintendos actual refreshes like the n3ds or dsi) but rather “plays ONLY on”.

I mean, when have we had a refresh that got exclusive high calibre first party support like wario land 3, Super mario bros DX, Pokemon Crystal, Zelda oracle of seasons/ages, and DKC?
Hell, the release was so major that this was the first time we got rebranded games to fit with the color’s ability to play games with color like links awakening DX, pokemon yellow and wario land 2. And every game launched after launch was either a cross-gen cart or exclusives to the gbc.

The theres an argument to be made that the gbc only lasted on shelves for about three years vs the gameboy which last essentially double, but tbf the gba also lasted only about three years before the nds released.

dcx4610

It was the successor in the sense that it was the next iteration of the Game Boy but not a hardware leap like we expect in the console space. That would be the GBA.

I remember being a kid and having zero interest in the GB Color and never owned one. The color felt like a hack and you were just playing your existing GB games with a new pallette. If it was a full color system, I would have been all in.

Doczu

Ive said piece before but i since this thread got bumped, the gameboy color is more of its own hardware than any pro/x model ever made for one main reason: it had major first and third party exclusives and was treated as its own system by nintendo.

Not in a “plays better on” as with something like the one x or ps4 pro or even the oled (or any of nintendos actual refreshes like the n3ds or dsi) but rather “plays ONLY on”.
The reason why it had such a big first and third party support is because Nintendo wanted to push the hardware (by making exclusives) and for third parties it was a no brainer as GB game sales started tanking hard and the money was where the GBC was.
GB hardware and software weren't doing great at the end of the lifecycle and the last big hoorah were Pokemon.
A lot of the third party exclusives weren't really something that wouldn't run on the old GB.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
4 Types of Game Boy

OG
mqdefault.jpg

Pocket
Rb5xnM08BswvG8EesIiSB_imjtM0FqWggNTXlPafFm8.jpg

Light
60786def-7ba5-4ff0-9dc5-fdcd96d557e0.jpg

Color
il_fullxfull.2069230323_shkg.jpg

These are the four variations of the original Game Boy In the 90s (that 'play it loud' shit doesn't count) they are ALL considered diff versions of the original Game Boy

baphomet

And that page doesn't have the virtual boy at all. I wouldn't consider it gospel.

The page doesn't matter, it's how Nintendo has always counted the GBC.

The Gameboy has sold 118 million consoles. That includes the GBC. Exactly like the DS includes the DSi, and 3DS includes 2DS and N3DS.

There's over 100 games you can only play on GBC, it's very much its own system.

GBA to SP is an upgrade rather than a new system.
Exactly. It’s simple, there are GBC ONLY games…this doesn’t need a thread IMO…

Last edited:

Banned

no he doesn't. the New 3DS only has a few exclusives because developers simply didn't have trust in it selling enough to justify making New 3DS games.

the New 3DS is the exact same as the GBC, it's simply the case that the GBC was more successful in enticing developers to work exclusively with it.

just because the New 3DS failed where the GBC didn't doesn't mean the situation is a different one. both use higher clocked hardware with more ram, both have new hardware features, both have enhanced titles that utilise the new hardware while still being playable on the base hardware and both have exclusive games you can only play on them and not the base version.

using the number of exclusives as a deciding factor is highly arbitrary and, once again, simply the result of developers not trusting to sell enough copies on New 3DS only

Exactly. It’s simple, there are GBC ONLY games…this doesn’t need a thread IMO…

exactly like the New 3DS

Last edited:

Banned
Oh stfu

There's less than a handful of games which that even applies to and you know it. It's a ram upgrade

the GBC is also a ram upgrade...
also no, the New 3DS has higher clocks as well

the number of games is an arbitrary distinction. how many exclusives does a system like that need in order to be considered a new generation? 10? 20? 50? 100? 200? 400?
it's completely arbitrary.

GBC had exclusive games and slightly revised hardware,
the 3DS has exclusive games and sightly revised hardware

they are the same, only that one was more successful than the other, hence it got more exclusives... that's s it

Last edited:

Banned
Don’t think that is the case.

Gameboy color wasn’t a generational leap to gameboy.

Compare the time between gb and gbc 9 years and the gameboy advance 3 years

the long lifespan of the og GB is also the only reason the GBC even exists, it was literally the last try at life support for the GB to keep it alive and relevant long enough for the GBA to be ready for the market

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I'm supposing your reply is asking what that means to me in particular...? Well, simply put, it was worth the cost for me to upgrade. Other Nintendo systems didn't always work out that way for me, i.e. Wii U, DS Lite, 3DSXL. New 3DS could have been worth it had there been more games to utilize the upgraded tech, but I never bothered buying one.

This help?

Whitecrow

Banned

Man what the fuck is this cheap ass philosophy story?

Saying that a question is stupid or saying that he doesnt care about the answer, is not the same as giving an answer to the question, thing that you, for some reason, think that everyone who posts here is automatically doing.

Please have your philosophy grades re checked.

Strange thread because this is basically arguing if people on forums should decided and what Nintendo said themselves doesn't matter. Nintendo themselves said the GBC was a new system and would have it's own games back in the day, with also smore powerful graphics So there is the end of any debate.

The GBC isn't GBA-GBASP and the SP system. The SP and GBA still run all the same software except for one or two movie titles.

LarsQMorient

Neo Member
Nintendo combined the GB and GBC sales to make the numbers look good. Nintendo could call it the best-selling console. The PS1 never caught up with the GB/GBC combined sales. Nintendo could also call the GBA the successor to the best-selling console. The PS2 only surpassed GB/GBC combined sales in around 2007.

Top Bottom