• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you get a next gen console, what do you do with the current ones?

1) Sell them off and get the few measly dollars to go towards more next-gen stuff.
2) If you have 10,000 AV connectors (like many higher end TVs today seem to have), leave it hooked up along with the next gen stuff.
3) Box them up and pull them out once in a blue moon.
4) Load up on good past gen games on the cheap and then do either #2 or #3.

I have a Skeleton Saturn which I will never put away because I always need a quick Capcom arcade fix or a quick round of Fighters Megamix. I have a Game Cube and therein lies the problem. Nothing really interests me and I've considered selling it off for credit used towards Xbox 360. I don't think there are any OMGCLASSICS on it either.

Any experiences with this.

Red Scarlet

I'll change around what's hooked up, but never put them away. How I can use the same A/V cable for my Playstations makes it much easier to handle (I have one of those 'hook 4 systems up to this box' things).

Oh Snap. I just forgot that Revolution will be backwards compatible with Game Cube anyway.

Sometimes the temptation to sell it all is too strong and then you regret it later. Fortunately, all three consoles are BC so it shouldn't be a big deal.

raYne

I don't keep any of my systems hooked up, but I keep the most often played systems in my tv cabinet for easy access. It only takes 10 seconds max to set up a system to play it and I'd rather do that than have them all plugged in and looking untidy.

Currently I have my Xbox, DC, GC and N64 in there. All my other systems/games etc are packed up in a nearby closet for a rainy day.

Once I get my x360 it'll replace the N64, Ps3 replaces the DC, Rev replaces the GC etc. And the cycle of console life continues.
The Experiment said:
Oh Snap. I just forgot that Revolution will be backwards compatible with Game Cube anyway. Sometimes the temptation to sell it all is too strong and then you regret it later. Fortunately, all three consoles are BC so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Not that I get rid of my systems, but I have quite a few GC imports. So unless the Rev is region free I'd have to keep it anyway.. :lol

I don't have to do anything, they magically evaporate once I make a new purchase.....hey wait a second, it's still there, and it stills works! hooray!

belgurdo

Banned
Sell them and most of the games (except for the Xbox, since it has personal things on it like books on CD and soundtracks)

Joe

ive got 2 xbox's. 1 modded, 1 not. i'll probably give my brother 1 of the xbox's and keep one for myself and start an xbox live online game collection since games will be cheap.

DCX

DCX
I have all the consoles i own hooked up. When i get a 360, the OG is going into my bedroom, same when i get REV, and PS3.

DCX

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If you aren`t playing your Game Cube anymore and don`t care about playing Zelda right away (or at all), then go ahead and sell it off. You aren't going to get much for it anyway. I don`t think any of the current systems are going to hold what little value they have now once the next gen starts up. I am definitely going to keep my XBox, since it`s modded, and I`ll keep my modded PS2 for now, but whenever the PS3 is able to modded, that will be the end of the PS2. If all these systems are going to be backwards compatible, I don`t really see the point in hanging onto their predecessors. Systems like the Saturn and Dreamcast are different and worth holding onto.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'll ditch or give away my GC and PS2 when I get their successors.

I'll still have my modded Xbox hooked up and my other one is a Halo LE so I'll box it up and hang on to it.

puck1337

I'll probably give them to friends or cousins that don't have systems. PS3 and Revolution are going to be BC anyway. I will *not* get rid of the games though.

BojTrek

Banned
I normally sell the previous systems off...

Genesis/SNES - I gave to family members...

Saturn/PS1 - Traded in Saturn and gave PS1 to buddy

Dreamcast - Sold to friend after death of Sega's console days

X-Box - Was going to trade in all controllers, games but will keep for younger nephews

Lyte Edge said:
If you aren`t playing your Game Cube anymore and don`t care about playing Zelda right away (or at all), then go ahead and sell it off. You aren't going to get much for it anyway. I don`t think any of the current systems are going to hold what little value they have now once the next gen starts up. I am definitely going to keep my XBox, since it`s modded, and I`ll keep my modded PS2 for now, but whenever the PS3 is able to modded, that will be the end of the PS2. If all these systems are going to be backwards compatible, I don`t really see the point in hanging onto their predecessors. Systems like the Saturn and Dreamcast are different and worth holding onto.

Yeah, which is why I want to unload the GC as soon as possible. I did auction it off with the GB Player and some games on Ebay and it got up to about $85 until Ebay closed it (Freeloader is considered a mod). I might just put it on auction this Saturday and sell it. I can get Fire Emblem, Kirby, and Twilight Princess at launch if I want them bad enough.

Yeah, I'll never get rid of the Saturn or put it away unless all of the Saturn games I own (roughly 40 now) are on these new machines and thats very unlikely.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
There's just something about the Gamecube that makes me think I'll keep it in my entertainment center for awhile. I'll be glad to get rid of my ugly-ass XBox.

qirex

I promise myself that I'm going to sell it then I let it sit in the box for 9 months to a year until it's worth half as much.

I haven't sold any consoles since I bought my PSX in '99, and I never will again.

Hell, I've been re-buying the old shit I sold and buying other stuff for the first time these past few months.

HU-Cards owned, BTW.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'll put my GameCube back into it's packaging, as I don't need it on a regular basis anymore when Revolution comes out. But of course I won't give it away. Maybe my sister can use it to play a few Fifas ^^.

bobjuice

Banned
I use them as bases in my field of dreams

Front_Page_Dog.jpg

The Experiment said:
1) Sell them off and get the few measly dollars to go towards more next-gen stuff.
2) If you have 10,000 AV connectors (like many higher end TVs today seem to have), leave it hooked up along with the next gen stuff.
3) Box them up and pull them out once in a blue moon.
4) Load up on good past gen games on the cheap and then do either #2 or #3.

Generally number 2, although they tend to be hooked up to various TVs rather than all on one.

Brofist

If the new system is b/c with software from the previous one I just give the old system away.
I don't need 17 different ways to play a PlayStation game. Which is the same reason why as sexy as that white PSP is, again I don't need multiple systems for the same games.

1 for the most part. I plan to keep my GBA but I've already sold off everything except for my PS2 (which will either be sold off next week or a couple weeks after DWVIII comes out).

Seth C

I've currently got the Xbox, PS2, one Dreamcast, and one Saturn hooked up to my HDTV in the living room. Everything else (including a second DC and Saturn) are on a 27" TV in my office. When 360 and PS3 come in tot he house I suppose their previous generation will move to the office as well.

Top Bottom