• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will 360/PS3 be considered retro?

Maddux4164

It’s so odd to say or think. But those consoles are 15 years old

It would be the same living in 2000 with a Dreamcast/PS2 and calling the NES “retro”.

As a 90’s kid (born in 80’s) it’s harrowing to think about.

But it’s applicable no?

I mean, I still do not consider PS2/Xbox retro. But technically it is.

Maddux4164

I would say so, yes.

But to be fair, in 2000, consoles had an added dimension that the NES lacked: the third one.
Correct. But graphics doesn’t determine what’s “retro”. We may like to think it does. It doesn’t. Time itself determines that.

Maddux4164

Yeah, but when I play something like Crackdown or Gear of War for the 360, it just doesn't feel retro to me. I dunno, I might be crazy.
You’re correct. You’re not crazy. Games from then hold up EXTREMELY WELL. Why? Because we’d mastered “3D” gaming and gameplay. Took a couple gens to get there. But that to me was where we absolutely had it mastered

DelireMan7

For me it's more about a feeling. Retro games/systems are feeling quite old (and enjoyable of course) when you play them.

The last retro console gen is the PS2/Xbox for me. I really feels that it's old when I play them.

It's maybe because I played a lot of PS3 this year (and my standard for graphics/performance are almost non existent) but these games just feels the same as PS4 gen for me. So not retro yet. I guess it will take more and more time, for me, to consider a console gen retro.

onQ123

My feelings on this is that they will be retro when the era change & just a quick look at the games show that they are from a different era.

Like when we was deep into the 3D era & it was plain to see that NES , SNES , Sega Genesis & so on games was from a different era.

Or when we was in the HD era & it was easy to see that PS1 , N64 & Dreamcast games was from a different era.

Now we are getting into the 4K /120FPS / Ray Tracing era & at some point it's going to become clear that the PS3 & Xbox 360 games are from a different era & that is when they will be retro.

Maddux4164

For me it's more about a feeling. Retro games/systems are feeling quite old (and enjoyable of course) when you play them.

The last retro console gen is the PS2/Xbox for me. I really feels that it's old when I play them.

It's maybe because I played a lot of PS3 this year (and my standard for graphics/performance are almost non existent) but these games just feels the same as PS4 gen for me. So not retro yet. I guess it will take more and more time, for me, to consider a console gen retro.
Again. In 2000, any human alive would consider NES retro.

We must put graphics aside. It’s time. Not graphics that makes something old

acm2000

For me personally retro in gaming is when you can no longer but the games or consoles, which in the days of digital ownership is going to take longer.

DelireMan7

Again. In 2000, any human alive would consider NES retro.

We must put graphics aside. It’s time. Not graphics that makes something old

I have the feeling you didn't read my post.

Basically I jsut said than Retro is in my opinion something personal to each individual.

And me I don't feel like PS3/360 are retro. And it has nothing to do with graphics. It something I "feel" when playing them.
For example I played Assassin's Creed 1-3 and Demon's Souls on PS3 this year and I didn't feel (this word is important, I don't say they look the same) that it was so much different than the PS4 games.

EDIT : Basically, I would say retro games need a short adaptation time to get back to it. I don't need an adaptation time when I get back to PS3

Last edited:

Maddux4164

I have the feeling you didn't read my post.

Basically I jsut said than Retro is in my opinion something personal to each individual.

And me I don't feel like PS3/360 are retro. And it has nothing to do with graphics. It something I "feel" when playing them.
For example I played Assassin's Creed 1-3 and Demon's Souls on PS3 this year and I didn't feel (this word is important, I don't say they look the same) that it was so much different than the PS4 games.

EDIT : Basically, I would say retro games need a short adaptation time to get back to it. I don't need an adaptation time when I get back to PS3
Nah I feel you. Same time, it’s like SMB 3 plays as well as any game on the market today to me. So does Donkey Kong Country. No adjustment needed. Maybe it’s hundreds of hours playing them over 25 years+. But it’s easy to pick up and play

cireza

Probably when modern games don't look like higher resolutions versions of that generation.
Exactly this. These consoles don't feel retro because their games don't look retro. They just look like the exact same games with play nowadays, but with shit resolution and framerate.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I wouldn’t class them as retro. In this era of diminishing returns, generations have more life to them than they used to and outside of the usual refinements to games that come over time and the shift towards and away from popular things of the time period (excessive bloom then, and unrealistically perfect reflections with RT now) they aren’t worlds apart.

Maybe next gen, if lighting and performance get enough of a boost to make PS360 look like more than just a resolution jump away.

Riky

$MSFT
PS3 is already, 360 isn't as Microsoft are allowing a lot of them to be played still on the current console and they are upgraded for free with HDR,AF and big increases in resolution. Fallout 3 and Oblivion still get played in my house regularly.

Mokus

After Wii will be considered retro? They are part of the "HD generation" and playing the games doesn't require big effort to adapt, they are very similar to what we play today. Graphically they still hold out very well except the frame rates. So no, it's to early to call them retro.

Maybe the over the years mainly the SSD load times will make them to feel retro.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Technically? It was actually about 15 weeks ago for the PS3, when Shakedown: Hawaii was released as the final game for the system. It's now completely unsupported and obsolete.

"Retro gaming" is such a dumb term anyway, retro by definition means something that emulates an old style in the modern era, which would be something like the mini consoles, but for some reason retro gaming means something completely different.

Maddux4164

After Wii will be considered retro? They are part of the "HD generation" and playing the games doesn't require big effort to adapt, they are very similar to what we play today. Graphically they still hold out very well except the frame rates. So no, it's to early to call them retro.

Maybe the over the years mainly the SSD load times will make them to feel retro.
Ummm. Sorry. Wii wasn’t HD in any world. Even yours

Nakasan

Although they are 14 years old at this point but they were still "relevant" through Christmas 2013, meaning very much relevant into 2014 IMO. That's only 6 years ago so I'd say they aren't retro yet for that reason.

Another reason is you can get one and hook it up to your current tele very easily. It's when you need to get adapters involved to play them, that's when I'd say they will be retro! Getting a DC and Gamecube to play nice on current TVs is more difficult so they class as retro to me!

But I'm not particularly sold on my argument myself yet!

Edit: I also love these kind of relative time comparisons: It would be the same living in 2000 with a Dreamcast/PS2 and calling the NES “retro”. I think I saw that Shenmue 2 is as long ago to Shenmue 3 as the 80s was to Shenmue 1!

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Companys still make alot of money off 360/PS3 (resold as classics), even via back compat or PS Now. That's probably why the emulation scene hasn't fully embraced them and they don't seem retro.

MilkLizard

Yeah, but when I play something like Crackdown or Gears of War for the 360, it just doesn't feel retro to me. I dunno, I might be crazy.

Because games don‘t change anymore, only the graphics are getting better. We‘re still playing COD, Gears, Ass. Creed, Halo, etc...even on the brand-new consoles. Look at the launch titles, it‘s still the same old shit In the end.

It's a personal thing and maybe if I was 20 rather than 40 then maybe I would consider them retro, because my whole frame of reference would be the mature 3D games era and with that frame of reference 360/PS3 games look a lot different to the games we play now. But I'm not 20, I am 40 and PS3/Xbox 360 games don't seem different enough to the games we play now to box them up as something old and different. Demon's Souls just got a lick of paint and a release as a bona fide next-gen launch game. You couldn't have done that with say, Super Mario Bros in 2000.

But they aren't far off either. PSX/N64 era is definitely retro to me. Gamecube is retro. Dreamcast is retro. PS2/Xbox...I guess...just (despite being weaker than Gamecube). So they are close. Maybe by the time this gen ends and games have moved on a bit, we can look back on the 3/360 era and say 'yeah - that shit is old now'.

On the other hand the Wii definitely feels retro despite being younger. But it was pretty retro when it came out.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Younglins fighting whether 360/ps3 is retro or not. Is all they remember.

I member. I member when knightlore was released. That is retro.

It should be now.

To me retro means the generation prior to the immediately prior generation, so now that the PS5 and XSX are out, the PS3 and 360 are officially retro, just like the SNES was retro by the time the PS2 and Gamecube came out.

No way 15/14 year old consoles are not retro by now, that'd be like saying the SNES isn't retro in... 2006.

Cato

Banned
PS2 is retro. I just wrote an extension to wLaunchELF file manager so I can copy ROMs between my PS2 slim (with ethernet. I don't sadly have the network module for my 5 PS2 FAT consoles :-( ) and a windows SMB2/3 file share.
I can even copy files from an azure file server! PS2 is awesome.

Retro is when you have an SDK and can write your own software for the console.

Last edited:
The Retronauts rule is if it's 10+ years old, it's retro. I agree with this. We're bordering on 15 for these games, and two gens past them. They are retro.

a3pZ7m0.gif

That generation is the foundation of our current generation. Unless there's a fundamental shift in modern game design, it'll never be "retro" to me :messenger_beermugs:. My PS3 and Xbox 360 Slim still get regular use.

Last edited:
I still play on the PS3 on a regular basis. To me, it hasn't aged considerably much. I honestly don't see much of the fuss about current gen or the 8th. Significant technological changes and advancements in gaming have been somewhat minuscule and stagnant imo. Better visuals don't do much for me. I'm in no rush and content with playing on it for the time being.

I get the impression that a large swath of 7th gen titles have flown under most peoples' radar in the transition phase, or generally, to 8th gen. I consistently keep finding interesting games on PSN to checkout. Most of them are just buried under the heap of AAA.

Also seems like some glanced over that a quantity of 7th gen games were ported to, or were even cross-gen with, 8th gen. I see the 8th gen as an extension of the 7th.

Technically? It was actually about 15 weeks ago for the PS3, when Shakedown: Hawaii was released as the final game for the system. It's now completely unsupported and obsolete.

(...)

Most recent support for PS3's PSN was in october and august AFAIK. I honestly want to see some outlet do limited physical releases of some PS3 PSN games. It would be unfortunate if they got lost in obscurity, whenever Sony decides to take PS3's PSN offline. It even irks me that Sony didn't continue "the best of PSN" past vol. 1. Its a major disservice.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
I'll buy a 360 mini that does 1080p AFAP.

With 2 Controllers & 30 defining Generation games with online enabled.

Under any formulaic approach to determining 'retro', like x number of years, x number of 'gens', that era will be retro.
Under a more qualitative approach, it's much more debatable. It isn't retro to me because those games are the same kind of games we have now but with a little less. If Skyrim had somehow never been released and was found as a 'lost classic' and released today, with modern graphics, I don't suppose people would be shocked by how old fashioned it was.

But to each their own.

Right now, they're just old and they were relevant up until about 6 years ago. Why would anyone call them retro? Retro implies something that's old enough to be different but also valuable enough to be worth revisiting. It's not notable or anything to still have them around.

Top Bottom