• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you went into a game truly blind?

God of War 2018. I scoffed at it bc I hear the axe was the only weapon in the game. I thought that was lame. Was stuck on my couch after a surgery for a week so I decided to fold. I have eaten my crow on that one. Love that game.

luffie

Hades, I didn't even know what rogue-like was before it. It was cheap on steam, ended spending 200 hours on it.

Bartski

Gold Member
That's not really possible for anyone following the industry close enough to know what's coming.

But then Gamepass is great for those B-tier games, just randomly installing stuff that you have no clue what they are. I found Lonely Mountains Downhill this way which I think is super cool.

For games I'm looking forward to the most I never go anywhere beyond a gameplay deep dive reveal. Not sure when was the last time I saw something like a launch trailer for a game I knew I'll be playing.
What I started God of War 2018, I didn't even know what's the motivation for their journey.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The Witcher 3.

I went full media blackout for that one. I even unfollowed and unsubscribed from the various social media accounts and YouTube creators that kept putting out videos and tweets about it. Might have been the best gaming decision that I ever made.

tylrdiablos

I've just started "A Plague Tale: Innocence" knowing nothing about it at all.
I wanted a graphically demanding title to test my 3080ti FE... and it was a freebie on the Epic Games Store.

I like the game, it's a bit repetitive but the story is good enough to make me want to see it through.

I got into gaming a little late in life. The one who introduced me to new games (new for me) always give just a little info on the games we would play. But mostly he would talk and tell me about his experience when he first played and build up hype that way. So I have gone in pretty much blind to almost every game. :messenger_smiling: And I’m very thankful for that, it made the experience so amazing! It created wonderful memories and so much fun!

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Recently quite a few actually.

Zelda: Skyward Sword
Nier Replicant
Axiom Verge 2

After playing videogames for over more then 3 decades I know when a game will be close to my taste more or less and I kinda like not knowing what to expect going into something new. I the old days it was almost like like playing something you already knew through and through from seeing so much of it before actually playing it yourself.

brian0057

Banned
This War of Mine.
All I knew about the game was the title and the description on the store page.
Didn't see any videos, reviews, gameplay, or interviews.
Went in completely blind and liked it a lot.

P.S. Fuck them kids. Easily the worst part of the game.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
When was the last time you played a game without so much as watching a trailer or reading a summary or even knowing what genre it was in? How did it turn out?

Yes, it's almost impossible to have zero pre-purchase information on games bought from modern digital stores
Yes, it's pretty wasteful to not consider a game before spending, let's say, $15-60 on it
Yes, there are too many games (and way too many shit games) released to do this expecting anything good with any frequency

Still, it's bound to have happened to at least a few people.
To those guys: How did it go?
Recommended by a friend who I trust is the only time I go in and buy it without recon.

In the C64 era you played almost every game like this. Those were the times. And 70% of the games were a hit. Now you have trailers that supposed to show what the game really is, but most of the time is just a mishmash of scenes cut together that has zero relevance. It won't sell the game, you have to see the actual gameplay plus screenshots to decide whether it's worthy of your time.

begotten

I still play a lot of stuff blind. It's not hard to not be a sheep and rely on what people online say. Unless you're poor.

Urban

After Uncharted 1 i would never inform me about Sony First Party Titles. All i see is the Announcement Trailer. Thats it. Why should ill watch them? ill buy them anyway

GymWolf

I sincerely don't remember, but it has to be from the snes era because i clearly remember trying demos and reading magazines in the 32 bit era.

Aenima

Subnautica this year when Sony ofered the game. Only thing i knew about the game was the name and the trailer that was on the PS Store. Loved it.

Games i buy, only if they are sequels from games i love i also go as blind as posible to avoid spoilers and usually enjoy them alot this way.

I did this all the time when i was a kid without internet. Bought games like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Phantasmagoria 2, Monkey Island, and many more just by walking on a store, looking at the game cover and back cover, and buying the game without knowing what to expect. Lots of gems and crap bought this way, but as a kid i enjoyed almost everething as almost everething felt new, even the crapy games.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Right now!

Playing Ion Fury and the only thing I knew is that it's mostly like Duke Nukem

Looks great so far!

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Probably OoT and FFVII, honestly.

I've never been completely blind to most things because they're a part of my culture, so small details drip in here and there. I didn't look up reviews and do serious research before jumping into MGS, Silent Hill, or Resident Evil 4, though. I guess that half-counts.

kunonabi

Silent Hill 4. I refused to look at anything prior to release. One of the biggest mistakes of my life and I've never gone in blind since. Regardless of a developers previous input I now refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt. They legitimately have to sell me on a title like it's the first game they've ever made

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Every Gran Turismo Sport session when drunk..

Send It GIF by memecandy

yurqqa

I try to find the games with good narrative and there are 3 great games that I got from such lists and was really happy I did:

Disco Elysiu
Eastshade
Unavowed

They were just great experiences-

just started The Forgotten City today.
Played for an hour and for now have a good vibe. I hope it´s also great.

Fuz

Banned
I‘ve tried several times, but spaceship controls are just unbearable for me (both on PC and XBOX).
I just can‘t.
If you mean the "toy" ship at the beginng, that is WAY harder than the real one. I abandoned the game twice or thrice because of that myself.
Stick with it and don't look for spoilers or guides, they will completely ruin the game.

skit_data

I went into God of War 2018 without reading reviews and somehow missing all the praise it got (had a year of pretty much nothing but working my ass off, sleeping and eating).

Pretty nice experience, I have to say. I played the original trilogy many years ago so all the payoff was there as well.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I honestly can't remember. These days if I see a game in a shop that I haven't heard of I'll check Metacritic for the average score and read a few blurbs.

Edit: Valley of the Damned or something? It's an EA game, play some biker in a spirit world, I dunno. Bought it, played it, hated it then check the review scores and was surprised how different my opinion was. Never tried it again and traded the game back in.

AndrewRyan

Many steam bundle and playstation+ games. The last was Wreckfest on ps5. Used to loving going in blind to this indy theatre that only shows foreign language films but each one virtually guaranteed to be amazing. There's something fun knowing nothing since the surprise makes is more delightful.

The one I remember most is CastleVania: Symphony of the Night. It was only 20 bucks at Toys Rus not long after it came out.

I didn't have my EGM subscription yet to know if it was good or not.

Worked out :)

Lupingosei

Banned
Star Wars Force Unleashed 2

Thought it would be able to keep up with the first game, bought it on release day. What a stupid decision.

Orta

Banned
Christmas 95, game was none other than a little known shooter by the name of Doom (snes version). Bought purely on the strength of amazing review scores, I wasn't into PC gaming back then so hadn't a clue what it was.

I've since bought pretty much every version ever made for console and PC and it is undoubtedly my all time no.1 game of all time. I even have a Doom tattoo on my body.

PsyEd

Judgement on XsX - It was(think still is) on sale, is optimized for X|S and I had enough with woke fps shooters and zombie bs. So I pulled the trigger on it since I had some cash to spend...and damn I'm like hooked ever since....I more streets in Kamurocho than I know any place in real life. GG!

Last edited:
The biggest acclaimed game that I went into blind was The Witcher 3 and its expansions. Every form of media went over my head before it became a bargain bin game.

CitizenZ

Banned
Too many to name, but for the casuals here, I would say Andromeda? Other than the memes didnt know too much. Its not as bad as everyone thinks, but easily to see was killed by woke hires.

jigglet

Banned
Been a very long time, if you're talking about buying a game off the shelf without even knowing a single thing about it. Legend of the River King on GBC. Ended up becoming one of my all time favorites.

Top Bottom