• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do we get the first big announcement of the year, and who of the three platform holders is it from?

Who inspires us first?

• Total voters

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, the year has started and I don't know about you but I'm chomping at the bit for some meaty news for 2024 on releases, hardware or updated accessories.

Who do we think goes first and what will it be?

Last edited:
Nintendo probably, with the Switch 2 announcement. But it'll be a bit.

There might be a Sony SoP before then but I don't think there would be anything considered an announcement. Mainly showing games already announced.

Luipadre

I dont expect shit from sony tbh. My expectations for the state of plays and showcases couldn't be any lower especially after their latest "big" showcase.

Next big announcement will be the new switch from nintendo COPIUM

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The second showcase probably got delayed from Q4 '23 to Q1 '24. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Don't expect any new announcements, minus a shadow drop at best, at the Xbox Direct.

Nintendo ? I have no idea when they'll announce the Super Switch. They should have done that last year.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

The closest to an announcement we will have will be during Sony's CES conference, but that conference is Sony-focused, not PlayStation-focused. And we will get a few SOPs from Sony covering the games coming to the platform early this year. I feel we won't get any new announcements from Sony (or even MS and Nintendo) until their first Showcase of the year, which would be coming around May/June?

RickMasters

Ms direct thing in january? But they probably not going to announce anything new other than the (possible) shadow-drop

What they need to show off is gameplay footage of some of their upcoming stuff. They have a pretty full plate.

My bets are on fable, clockwork revolution, avowed, hellblade 2, probably some more of stalker 2. But I think we might see a surprise announcement or two. If they have a shadow drop incoming I don’t think a new announcement is out of the realm of possibility.

So MS gets my vote. Their developer direct is first up after all.

RickMasters

The closest to an announcement we will have will be during Sony's CES conference, but that conference is Sony-focused, not PlayStation-focused. And we will get a few SOPs from Sony covering the games coming to the platform early this year. I feel we won't get any new announcements from Sony (or even MS and Nintendo) until their first Showcase of the year, which would be coming around May/June?
Possible PS5 pro announcement? CES is all about hardware announcements so maybe that’s a good time to talk it up. Would be a tie in nicely with any gamer reared features they have in their 2024 line up of TVs

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'd say MS show in January might show something small. Then probably not much until their big June showcase. Expecting to see Perfect Dark, Gears.

Nintendo Directs are frequent.

Sony, no idea. Might show Concorde soon.

Roberts

What they need to show off is gameplay footage of some of their upcoming stuff. They have a pretty full plate.

My bets are on fable, clockwork revolution, avowed, hellblade 2, probably some more of stalker 2. But I think we might see a surprise announcement or two. If they have a shadow drop incoming I don’t think a new announcement is out of the realm of possibility.
Yeah, I would bet on Hellblade 2, Towerborne, Stalker 2 and Avowed and if the rumours are true then Double Fine's Kiln (as much as I love DF, this does't seem even tiny bit as exciting as Hi-Fi Rush announcement) as a shadow-drop.

Kuranghi

I’m hoping Nintendo announces Metroid Prime 2: Echoes HD this month. 🙏

MATE... the rumor is that its not remade in the same way and its just an upscale. I will actually fucking cry a bit if thats true as its my favourite overall.

If true, then I hope they saw the reception of the first HD remaster and have upgraded it to the same level as the first

Kurotri

Microsoft will go first with their developer direct, Nintendo will go next possibly in spring sometime for the Switch 2, and Sony will have something in the summer at the earliest because that's just how they roll.

Woopah

I think in mid Feb we'll see Sony do a SOP in mid Feb, with Nintendo following with.a Direct a few days later.
Sonys got to show something, my vote goes to them

Edit: actually they are probably the ones who don’t have to show anything at all. Goddamn ps5s selling like hotcakes with no game announcements
Sony already has 5 games announced for 2024, that's the same as Nintendo and more than Microsoft.

bender

What time is it?
Microsoft.

When they announce their purchase of Nintendo.
giphy.gif

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I was torn between Xbox and Nintendo. I saw somewhere Xbox was having a direct this month and they generally have a few announcements and/or shadow drops and Nintendo needs to announce HiFi Rush coming to Switch. Sony usually has nothing.

Mr.Phoenix

Possible PS5 pro announcement? CES is all about hardware announcements so maybe that’s a good time to talk it up. Would be a tie in nicely with any gamer reared features they have in their 2024 line up of TVs
Absolutely not. Well, unless the PS5pro is coming out in March. Sony has a pattern with things like these, they did it last gen and they have already done it this gen with the PS5slim. They will show/announce the PS5pro, 6-8 weeks before its release. And that announcement will go in line with a likely price drop for the PS5slim, be that a hard price drop or a soft one. Its what they did with the PS4/PS4pro, and the PS5/PS5slim and that's what they will do with the Pro.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Microsoft announced everything that could have. Sony could do a teaser just to get some Likes. Nintendo will do the Switch 2 announcement

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I vote nintendo will start swich 2 promoting soon.
I want to play those damn zelda and mario games finally.. that totk oled switch is looking at me but I know it's a waste of money. Switch2 must release this year

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Either Sony or Nintendo as they both have new hardware on the way and will no doubt be showing off new games with it. Doesn’t get much bigger than that.

tommib

MATE... the rumor is that its not remade in the same way and its just an upscale. I will actually fucking cry a bit if thats true as its my favourite overall.

If true, then I hope they saw the reception of the first HD remaster and have upgraded it to the same level as the first
I actually don’t mind if it doesn’t have the same treatment. Just up-res the game and release it. It’s my favourite Prime game and I want to replay it.

Prime Remaster was a labour of love and must’ve taken a lot of time to do. I don’t need all that for Prime 2. It’s ok.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I am thinking MS Dev show will be first sometime in the winter months. I am just not sure how big announcements will be though. If they show up with trailers again, they might as well stay home.

IMO, Nintendo will announce Switch 2 this Spring for early Fall release. But they may have a small scale Direct before that.

Sony, I think Pro announcement will be in early-mid summer. No clue when they would do proper showcase for games.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Nintendo or Sony obviously. Switch 2 will dunk any announcement except for new GTA VI info. PS5 Pro might be announced sooner, however.

MS/Xbox has announced games in 2019 that haven't released yet and they continue to announce games that have barely started development (Blade). Showing anything new at at their upcoming direct serves no purpose until things like Hellblade and Avowed are released. Their Summer showcase will likely be a bunch of Game Pass dates and footage for games we already know are coming. Also, the only hardware they have to announce is a revision console, which was already leaked, and isn't higher specced than the current Series X (just new controller features).

Last edited:
Sonys got to show something, my vote goes to them

Edit: actually they are probably the ones who don’t have to show anything at all. Goddamn ps5s selling like hotcakes with no game announcements
What a strange way of thinking? What's the sales of a console doing for your excitement as a gamer? New games are what most normal gamers want.

It's going to be Xbox, there was a developer in December said his game didn't make the upcoming Xbox Showcase so it has to soon I'd imagine.

SCB3

Hardware wise, Nintendo has the Switch's successor due this year, they confirmed in a Shareholders meeting last year that we wouldn't hear anything til April ish, fiscal year stuff, bith MS and Sony have just put out new revisions to their consoles (Xbox Series S Black with 1tb and PS5 Slim)

Software wise, Sony is likely, Nintendo most likely have 1 or 2 big games on Switch to wind down (Princess Peach Showtime and Paper Mario TYD remake) and then all in on the next console, Prime 4 maybe for both?

Nintendo has to announce the Super Switch soon, Sony will probably announce the PS5 Pro this year too. But of those 2, Super Switch is the bigger deal as it's a whole new gen for Nintendo

nial

Gold Member
Microsoft will go first with their developer direct, Nintendo will go next possibly in spring sometime for the Switch 2, and Sony will have something in the summer at the earliest because that's just how they roll.
Sony always has a State of Play before the spring.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
My guess is you will hear the first shot next week at CES. Nvidia will fire the first shot with some big GeForce Now stuff, second will be Nintendo annoucning the switch successor and closely followed by Sony with ps5 cloud streaming to pc’s and TV’s.

Than the ps5 Pro

Microsoft will announce games and save big stuff for next years new consoles

cormack12

Gold Member
I think we know most of the big things to be announced, it's kind of who will provide more clarity around a much more definite release time.

If its Microsoft going first then firm release date for Hellblade II would class as 'Big' for me. Reveal of Gears 6 would also fall into this territory.

Nintendo obviously all waiting for the Switch 2 tease. That would be a big announcement.

For Sony, then I'd want to see what the new ips are from Naughty Dog or a reveal of Ghost of Tsushima 2. Both would be 'big'

I will get none of these though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hopefully Microsoft announces something for January. Last year's was kick ass.

Would be nice if CES had some surprise from Sony.

Metroid 2 announcement at a nintendo direct would be amazing too.

gothmog

Gold Member
I think we're going to hear from Sony first. Nintendo is going to go a bit silent for the next switch announcement. Microsoft who knows? Plenty of games to talk about for sure but I just think Sony will want to keep hype high.

Xbox need to announce release dates for this years titles. (Hopefully Hellblade and Avowed). I imagine January they could have a show like last year.

Nintendo will have biggest announcement with Switch successor and Metroid Prime 4. But they will announce it at opportune time, likely later this year.

Sony have already announced everything so I suppose they might surprise with something else, not sure.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They don't use CES to announce gaming stuff. They'll just show Spider-Man 2 running on the MicroLED TV.

At most, they may make some PSVR related announcements, that's what they did last year. A game or two getting a PSVR mode/support.

I think it'll be Nintendo with the Switch 2.

Side note, if switch 2 has backwards compatibility, it would be nice if the performance of regular-ass switch games is enhanced like it is for some ps4 games on the ps5.

Gojiira

Pretty sure Nintendo and Xbox will show something ‘first’ but I think Sony will show something much more impactful this year, could be the reveal of SSM’s new ip or Bluepoints.

Top Bottom