• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite kind of game that doesn't have a definitive ending?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I purposely kept my answer vague to avoid the assumption that this is about live service GaaS or MMO games.

Essentially, any open-ended game can fit the criteria, including racing games like Forza Horizon or Gran Turismo, multiplayer shooters or fighting games, survival/crafting games like Satisfactory, 4x strategy games like Civilization, arcade titles like Pinball or Tetris, or sports games like Madden. The key is that the game is an endless source of amusement, allowing you to return to it repeatedly. While it may have a storyline or campaign progression, the game's primary objective is to be open-ended without any definitive ending, so you can play or replay it on a regular basis without encountering any hard stops or ending credits.

Note that this is not referring to single-player games designed with a definitive beginning and ending in mind, only you just decided to replay them several hundred billion times. That would be considered cheating in this context, lol.

The Stig

Civilization for sure

Star Trek Birth of the Federation (did anyone play this?)

All the Gran Turismos

RDR2 online and GTA online are good to just load up and do some random missions/go hunting and listen to a podcast

Warframe. Every time i boot the game up every 2 years, theres new story content that expands the gameplay mechanics. I'd still play it now if they allowed save transfers from ps4 to ps5.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Untitled.png

Crayon

Fighting games. I don't like playing any other multiplayer games. I used to play tons of gt. Still like it quite a bit but I used to dump countless hours into it. VR has helped that out because it brings up the intensity level. That's usually the issue with open-ended games these days. Civ is fun but that is a slow-simmer kind of fun that will suck 5 hours out of a day like hardly anything happened. I like a low-intensity game but it's best if those have an end coming. I like nms but I will never get the full experience because I won't dump the kind of time for that game to enjoy it the way the more involved players do.

Now with fighting games... Assuming I have a live game that gets matches in a timely way, I am still willing to dump shitloads of time into fg because it's a very rich feedback loop. Feels like I'm actually doing something. Not something useful, of course. But my mind is very active and there is lots of emotional highs and lows and it doesn't feel like I'm frittering my time away. It's highly dense game time.

Laptop1991

Fallout New Vegas, although it has 4 to choose from, i never actually choose any in new playthrough's and go as far as i can until the point of no return and start again!. ohh and Skyrim, which never ends lol.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The newer Assassins Creeds .. I’ve seen credits .. but then they just keep going lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Every classic arcade game from my childhood.

Pac-Man
Ms Pac-Man
River Raid
Keystone Kapers
Time Pilot
Qix
Robotron 2084
Popeye
Donkey Kong

I can keep going, but I love them all.

Among more modern games I’d say Devil Daggers

ReBurn

Gold Member
Every classic arcade game from my childhood.

Pac-Man
Ms Pac-Man
River Raid
Keystone Kapers
Time Pilot
Qix
Robotron 2084
Popeye
Donkey Kong

I can keep going, but I love them all.

Among more modern games I’d say Devil Daggers
This. The best games don't have endings. They have progressive difficulty and high scores.

Aion002

City/Empire/Base building games like Cities Skylines, Anno, The Riftbreaker, Stronghold and even turn based like Civilization.

Growing Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Top Bottom