• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the first AAA console game that was available digitally on day 1?

Elysion

Banned
With how big the digital market has gotten, and how it’s set to replace physical entirely sooner or later, I‘ve been wondering… which console game was the first to be available digitally, alongside the physical version, on day 1? I‘m not talking about indy games or other smaller downloadable titles, which have been around on consoles since the OG XBox; I want to know which AAA game was the first to do this (on console, though I‘d be interested in the first PC game to do this too).

It has to be during the PS360 era surely? The first major console game I personally remember to be available digitally was TLoU on PS3, because a big game like that launching on the PS store (especially on day 1) was still pretty unusual at that point. But surely it wasn’t the first? Were there any major games before that which launched digitally?

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I think it will be something on Xbox 360, this is quite an interesting thread.

I remember when XBLA games had a 200mb file size limit.

I'm curious what big releases were the first to be digital only.

As I'm sure they added downloading the full triple a games to the console later on. (Maybe after they refresh the dashboard and allowed game installs to improve performance with stuff like dirt 2 etc?)

I could be way off though.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I know it was a big deal that the first ni no kuni was also availible on psn, but there were defo games before that because i had infamous 1 and little big planet 1 and 2 digitally

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I know it was a big deal that the first ni no kuni was also availible on psn, but there were defo games before that because i had infamous 1 and little big planet 1 and 2 digitally

Interesting; I didn’t know that Infamous and LBP were available digitally back then. Was that day 1? Because LBP1 came out in 2008, in which case it might actually be a good candidate for being the first.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I really can’t remember. Demos, sure, but an entire AAA game?

Not until hard drives got pretty big. Possibly when the Elite 360 released with its 120GB HDD?

MrA

Wiiu had all games available both digitally and physically at launch (might have been a few exceptions at launch but the wiiu was the first console with everything available digitally)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Damn....can't remember that, but my first AAA game I got via store was Diablo 3.
my man

new girl fist bump GIF

EruditeHobo

Pc: Half Life 2? It was a weird mix of physical game packaging and only usable as digital code.

Think this is a good shout... not long after Steam launched. I wonder if for many it may have been the first time they downloaded Steam, for HL2? I know that was the case for me, and a number of friends, at least.

Portugeezer

I want to guess PS3 did it first, as they all had HDD's and XBL had a size limit. For most of that generation a downloadable game was synonymous with being a small indie.

No idea though.

Last edited:
Geometry Wars Xbox 360? I think this was my first purposfull digital game.
Doom on PC after everyone downloaded the shareware version you had to 'pay' for the rest of the game.

Last edited:

nush

According to our lord and savior AI, it was Call of Duty: Black Ops II

mHiihGK.png

That's probably about right. The first AAA game I downloaded on release day on the 360 was resident Evil 5 (Gold version) because I wasn't able to get to the store at the time to buy the physical version. I know there were full games on 360 before that but they were more expensive than the physical so I passed.

Top Bottom