• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of headphones do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghibli99

Lemurnator said:
Also you might want to give them a call anyway. Etymotic has quite possibly the best costumer support of any company I've ever had experiance with. This alone is one reason why I recommend their products. While they're not always for everyone I suggest everyone gives their products a try because they are very high quality and Etymotic works hard to ensure the satisfaction of their customers.
Agreed. They're a great company, and their customer service is superb, as many of the smaller A/V companies tend to me.

Earlier in this thread, I complained about the standard flanged inserts of the ER-6, but after having used the foam inserts for about a year, I decided to trash 'em and go back to the stock flanged one. These are actually more comfortable to me for long-term use. They don't muffle/block out ambient sound as well, but they're still more than adequate for eliminating ambient noise at your work environment. Our offices tend to get pretty warm in the afternoon, so having full over-the-ear earmuff-style headphones can get a little nasty :), so these definitely fit the bill!

Lemurnator said:
Try changing the filter on the left earbud. The headphones should have come with two replacement filters that you must use after a period because there becomes a wax buildup inside the nozzle of the headphone.

If you've lost them you can order them from Etymotic.

Also you might want to give them a call anyway. Etymotic has quite possibly the best costumer support of any company I've ever had experiance with. This alone is one reason why I recommend their products. While they're not always for everyone I suggest everyone gives their products a try because they are very high quality and Etymotic works hard to ensure the satisfaction of their customers.

Thanks for the info. I wrote them yesterday and haven't had a reply yet, but I'll give them a call tomorrow afternoon and see what my options are. I really like the sound of the 6i's and certainly would recommend them to anyone...hopefully their customer service is as good as their products.

ghibli99

White Man said:
I just got a pair of 30 dollar Sennheiser earbuds, and I'm shocked at how nice the sound quality is.
I just recommended these to my GF to replace her crap iPod stockers... good pick! :D

Fusebox

Banned
Sony MD-E888 short-lead earbuds (AUS$65) to use with my Sony W800 walkman phone and my Koss KSC-35 over-ear headphones (AUS$40) for PSP etc.

Both the best bang-for-buck portable headphones you can get I reckon. :)

KarishBHR

Im looking for a 20 buck or less pair (ebay is accepted) headphones. I'm no audiophile, I just can't stand the normal Ipod headphones

BTMash

KarishBHR said:
Im looking for a 20 buck or less pair (ebay is accepted) headphones. I'm no audiophile, I just can't stand the normal Ipod headphones
One you could give a try are the KSC-75. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they're pretty darn cheap at $15 on amazon (I am going to get a pair for myself and will let you know how they turned out).

Seth C

I'm looking for a pair of closed cans for around the $50 range. Is it worth spending the $80 or so (including shipping on Ebay to get a pair of MDR-V6s? Or should I shop for something else?

I'm also looking for a decent pair of earbuds that can be picked up at Wal-Mart (as I want them tonight). The PSP buds kill my ears. Suggestions?

188.jpg

Sennheiser MX500

graco-sr60.jpg

Grado SR-60

Both are reasonably cheap.

KarishBHR

BTMash said:
One you could give a try are the KSC-75. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they're pretty darn cheap at $15 on amazon (I am going to get a pair for myself and will let you know how they turned out).
thanks but I was looking for earbuds

Forgotten Ancient said:
Thanks for the info. I wrote them yesterday and haven't had a reply yet, but I'll give them a call tomorrow afternoon and see what my options are. I really like the sound of the 6i's and certainly would recommend them to anyone...hopefully their customer service is as good as their products.

Try calling them.

Have you tried replacing the filters yet?

It should have come with a tool and two tiny replacement filters.

er6i-46.jpg

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i-filter.aspx

rod

Banned
i use sennheiser headphones the EH 350 model. cost me 180AU i used to have the HD212pro. both are awesome and amazing quality

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Sony's eternal MDR-V6s. Suckers will last you decades.
sony%20mdr-v6%20headphone.gif

I use these at work every day, but decided to plug a pair into my Nano today. Isaygotdamn! I don't how I look with them on tho. But they do sound good.

Won't larger sized headphones kill the battery faster than earbuds?

fart

Savant
the difference is largely negligible. what you'll want to look at is the rated sensitivity of the headphones. that ratio measures the nominal amount of power required to produce a given intensity. many earbuds are surprisingly insensitive, so size isn't as much of an issue as driver design.

madara

I use this little device DSP Pro for all my gaming and movie needs since I am headphone exclusive being in apt for various reasons. It actually quite an old tech but I have yet to hear of anything to replace it to simulate the surround sound experience.

What would GAF recommend?

Beyerdynamic DT770-PRO
If you buy just one set of headphones for the studio, these are the ones. Excellent for both detailed monitoring of signal, as well as being enclosed to stop spill during the tracking process. Huge frequency response (5-30,000Hz) with velvet earpads. Also very popular for live engineers.

OR

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MS
High Performance DJ Headphones - camouflaged for your safety
Audio Technica was founded on their prowess at turntable cartridge manufacture. After then designing some of the world's best microphones (this DJ thing will never catch on)...they're back to rock the DJ world with the new ATH-PRO700-MS. Camouflaged for stealth work on the decks, they are fully enclosed with swivel cups. 53mm neodymium magnetic drivers deliver rich and accurate bass, a 5-33,000Hz frequency range and a huge 3,500mW maximum power handling. Straight to the top of the class!

To be used for PC gaming, and possibly PSP.
Some music too, mostly rock, pop and a little trance.
Both are the same price.

Many Thanks.

hsin

Banned
dot-Nick said:
Can anyone tell me a little bit more about this model?

hdj1000-b.jpg

I really want to pick them up, but I want to hear a few good opinions first...

I own a pair. The sound quality is AWESOME. The cord is long enough for good mobility but doesn't get clumsy. Also, uberstylish indeed. However, despite what some might say, I didn't find them too comfortable...the "plush" ear padding was actually stiffer than most other headphones and really started to hurt my ears after an hour of continuous listen. Mine broke within a year though...so I dunno...I loved how they looked and sounded but their durability is another matter. I also remember reading in a Pioneer forum about a weak joint on the left ear...something like that.

I'd give it an overall grade of 8/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom