• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Tablet Are You Using?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I really want the new S8 tab, but can it easily play my android games that I already have and play on my phone?

I have Minecraft, Rome:Total War, Castlevania, Doom and Company of Heroes, plus many others and I'd love to play them on a bigger tablet screen.

Please tell me it's possible 🙏

Amory

I have the iPad 9th gen. Thing is awesome and I'm amazed it exists. The base model even comes with 64gb of space now

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
iPad Pro 12.9 from 2017, still works flawlessly. Incredibly happy and the size makes it perfect for watching on the bed. IMO every other tablet is a waste of money.

Dural

I really want the new S8 tab, but can it easily play my android games that I already have and play on my phone?

I have Minecraft, Rome:Total War, Castlevania, Doom and Company of Heroes, plus many others and I'd love to play them on a bigger tablet screen.

Please tell me it's possible 🙏

Of course it's possible, you'll likely be playing at higher framerates too. My son plays Minecraft on his S7 FE and it works great. I'm sure ETA Prime on Youtube will make a video with the S8 when it releases, he made several with the S7 and he always tries games out on them.

Does anyone know a good desktop all in one tablet PC that uses a stylus pen similar to Microsoft Surface Studio 2? Are there any direct competitors to Microsoft Surface Studio 2? Lastly, when is Microsoft going to make Surface Studio 3 preferably with these specs:

4K HDR with VRR with 120hz
16+GB of DDR5 RAM
Alder lake\Zen 3+ or newer 8 core CPU
RDNA2-3\Intel ARC\Nvidia Ampere Discrete GPU or integrated GPU
Thunderbolt 4\USB 4.0
Windows 11
Stylus Pen with low latency (similar to Samsung Note Series Stylus Pen)
Thin Bezzles-Durable Mini LED\OLED
NvME SSD 2.5GB-5.0GB/sec read/write speed
SD Card Slot (SD 8.0 Express read/write speed)
PCIE 5.0
1440p front camera-good quality
Wifi6E

tnh68yK.jpg

Last edited:

dem

I have the big ass 1st gen iPad Pro.

Still getting iOS updates. Still does everything absolutely fine.

It’s actually shocking how well it works. I didn’t realize it was almost 7 years old! 😂 Apple really is the fucking king.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I have the big ass 1st gen iPad Pro.

Still getting iOS updates. Still does everything absolutely fine.

It’s actually shocking how well it works. I didn’t realize it was almost 7 years old! 😂 Apple really is the fucking king.
Same, I have 2nd gen iPad Pro from 2017, still works flawlessly.

Blade2.0

I had an iPad pro but sold it and got a surface pro 7, which I barely use. I've got a nice gaming PC at home so I'm basically on that if I need to do any computing

Shifty

This one:

5j0a0283_final_1-100861725-orig.jpg

No apps, notifications, color, sound or backlight. Just a fancy piece of digital paper that secretly runs an extremely hackable linux under the hood.

Best tablet ever.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I have a tablet that I got for free with a TV. I never use it.

This one:

No apps, notifications, color, sound or backlight. Just a fancy piece of digital paper that secretly runs an extremely hackable linux under the hood.

Best tablet ever.

Do you write on it? How is the stylus pen? Is there a lot of lag/latency?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This one:

Best tablet ever.
I know 3 people with that same tablet. They all seem to really love it. For me, I have no issue using my iPad & pencil but I get it for those who can't deal with the smooth surface of the glass.

Pen is comparable to the Apple Pencil. Latency is 21ms.

Last edited:

Shifty

You do, yeah; the front of the tablet has a textured surface to make it feel closer to paper than the slippery effect you get from a glass screen. The back has that too despite not being something you write on, so it's got a nice feel overall.

The stylus is good - solidly built, pressure-sensitive, attaches to the side with a magnet, and comes with a pack of replacement nibs. The base model only has a sensor in the nib, but you can pay extra to get one with an eraser on the flat end.

Lag-wise it's pretty good - noticeable when compared to real paper, but not enough to throw off handwriting or drawing. This is my first e-ink device so I don't have anything to compare to, but I found the panel resolution and digitizer precision quite impressive.

I know 3 people with that same tablet. They all seem to really love it. For me, I have no issue using my iPad & pencil but I get it for those who can't deal with the smooth surface of the glass.
The paper feel is a nice bonus, but for me the real appeal for me is being able to avoid another smart device with a big ecosystem that wants to do everything - I'm at the point where the information age is beginning to take its toll, so being able to nix that stuff out and better control the extent to which app stores, notifications and social feeds run my life is a boon.

Though the hackability was the clincher; Remarkable are one of the few companies who take GNU Public License compliance seriously, so you can get a valid SSH root login straight from the settings menu. I don't usually touch mobile devices in terms of software development - too much of a mess in terms of packaging / signing / sideloading - but this one has an open enough approach that I was able to get in and write my own launcher for it without too much strife.

If there was an equivalent e-ink phone based around the same ideas I'd be all over it, but unfortunately the closest equivalent goes in so hard on the simplicity that it ends up being more locked down that your average iOS / Android. Maybe someday...

Does anyone have this?

Concept D

Zenbook Pro 14 Duo

Holy shit at samsungs future devices with dual screen and foldable OLEDS (time stamped)

Last edited:
A Galaxy Tab... A7, I believe? It's perfectly fine for the purposes I need it for. Most of the time it's mounted on my stationary bike when I exercise at home (which is usually when there's bad weather and I can't run outside). So I usually just watch something on streaming while on the bike.

Oh, my nephew likes my retro games and we usually play them together, so instead of hauling all of my SNES carts, console, trillions of cables and shit, I loaded up an SNES emulator and the games I own so that we can play those on the tablet if the mood strikes.

Top Bottom