• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the one thing you think everyone should know?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There is no god.

Happy Mood GIF by HBO Max

Hulk_Smash

Banned
1. Don't trust people that list more than one thing when being asked to list one thing.
I guess you don’t like options? Not sure how you read that I was asking you to list 3 things when I clearly was just giving examples.

Thank you for the advice though.

Last edited:

Orion2

Banned
1. History is written by the winners, when you read about history, remember that you will never get the full objective neutral story
2. Good and Evil are Tools that each can be used for both Good and Evil
3. Turn the other cheek doesn't work in real life
4. Lust and Love are not the same thing or two different things that are Equal
5. You Don't get Wiser as you get Older, that's a myth

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Reading is important and has a multitude of health benefits. Everyone should read every day.

1. History is written by the winners, when you read about history, remember that you will never get the full objective neutral story

Actually not true. Although there are many cases where history is written by the victor, there are also many cases of history being written by the defeated party.

Also, as a historian, I'd never study the victors account and take that as face value. No historian would do that.

Orion2

Banned
Reading is important and has a multitude of health benefits. Everyone should read every day.

Actually not true. Although there are many cases where history is written by the victor, there are also many cases of history being written by the defeated party.

Also, as a historian, I'd never study the victors account and take that as face value. No historian would do that.
what I mean is mainstream/school/official institutions history, you will never get the real stuff there, I'm not talking about travelling somewhere dedicating your life interviewing old people to find out stuff, no average person does that, I'm talking about mainstream

Last edited:

IDKFA

what I mean is mainstream/school/official institutions history, you will never get the real stuff there, I'm not talking about travelling somewhere dedicating your life interviewing old people to find out stuff, no average person does that, I'm talking about mainstream

Even mainstream (as in school teaching, western written history books etc) would never only take the view from the victor.

Of course, there are cases where we only have the records of the victor, such as the Roman conquest of Gaul for example. However, there are also many cases where we have sources from both the victor and the defeated. A few examples include the Hundred Years war, the War of the Roses, the Mongol invasion of Europe, the Thirty Year War, WW1, WW2 and many more.

Orion2

Banned
Even mainstream (as in school teaching, western written history books etc) would never only take the view from the victor.

Of course, there are cases where we only have the records of the victor, such as the Roman conquest of Gaul for example. However, there are also many cases where we have sources from both the victor and the defeated. A few examples include the Hundred Years war, the War of the Roses, the Mongol invasion of Europe, the Thirty Year War, WW1, WW2 and many more.
well, I'm talking from my experience, in my life I've never heard in school, in the media or society in general about how in WW2 they went in an recruited the Nazi generals and scientists and some of the biggest US organizations like NASA were run by them for the longest and stuff like that, I have never heard anything close to it, all I ever heard about WW2 were the dates on important events, Nazis are bad and that's pretty much it, so all I was ever thought was they're the bad guys, we won, they left the part out where oh BTW these guys are fucking geniuses the greatest at most everything so they all work for us now and some of out greatest achievements like the Moon program are from them

TheGrat1

1. "Disc" is for optical media (CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays) and "Disk" is for magnetic storage (Hard rives, Floppys). I see that mixed up all the time here and it lowkey triggers me.

2. Only nothing comes from nowhere, and no man needs nothing.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Everything happens for a reason but sometimes the reason is your own stupid decision, so decide better next time.

Also, if you are a girl buy this.
If you are a dude buy this for your girlfriend/wife.

Last edited:

IDKFA

well, I'm talking from my experience, in my life I've never heard in school, in the media or society in general about how in WW2 they went in an recruited the Nazi generals and scientists and some of the biggest US organizations like NASA were run by them for the longest and stuff like that, I have never heard anything close to it, all I ever heard about WW2 were the dates on important events, Nazis are bad and that's pretty much it, so all I was ever thought was they're the bad guys, we won, they left the part out where oh BTW these guys are fucking geniuses the greatest at most everything so they all work for us now and some of out greatest achievements like the Moon program are from them

I can understand why you wouldn't learn that in school. WW2 is a very large conflict to cover, so in school they'll just focus on the basics and major events of the war.

However, the fact that the US recruited German scientists after WW2 (Operation Paperclip) is well documented and not an example that history is only written by the victor.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I can understand why you wouldn't learn that in school. WW2 is a very large conflict to cover, so in school they'll just focus on the basics and major events of the war.

However, the fact that the US recruited German scientists after WW2 (Operation Paperclip) is well documented and not an example that history is only written by the victor.
Arguing with people who think they know better than God will never lead anywhere good. For the Marxist, every conversation is a power struggle, not an even exchange of ideas.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Never trust quotations on the internet attributed to famous historical figures.

Dear Quote Investigator: The following saying is popular on Facebook where it is credited to Albert Einstein. I have also seen it on numerous websites:

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
Sometimes “everybody” is used instead of “everyone”. Did Einstein really say this?

Quote Investigator: There is no substantive evidence that Einstein made this statement. It does not appear in the comprehensive collection of quotations “The Ultimate Quotable Einstein” from Princeton University Press. 1

The earliest evidence of a close match known to QI appeared in 2004, and that is decades after the death of Einstein in 1955. The self-help book “The Rhythm of Life: Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose” by Matthew Kelly contained a chapter titled “Everybody is a Genius” which began: 2

Albert Einstein wrote, “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” The question I have for you at this point of our journey together is, “What is your genius?”
This quotation alludes to a long-standing allegorical framework. It is inappropriate to judge an animal by focusing on a skill which the creature does not possess. A fish is specialized to swim superbly, and its ability to climb a tree is non-existent or rudimentary. In the domain of education this allegory has been employed repeatedly for more than one hundred years. Hence, this quotation is built on ideas that have been in circulation among educators for many decades.

Orion2

Banned

can you link me an official school history textbook that covers that in detail from like 90s-2000s?

IDKFA

can you link me an official school history textbook that covers that in detail from like 90s-2000s?

Not sure if you've fully understood my last post.

This isn't something that I would expect to be taught in schools. I can only refer to UK schools, but when they cover WW2, they'll only cover the the main aspects of the war. When they taught WW2 in my secondary school (high school) we learned about the cause of the war, the Battle of Britain, the Blitz, D-day etc. However, we didn't focus on the war in Asia that much, or the Eastern Front. We certainly didn't cover the mass suicides that happened in Germany after the fall of Berlin, but doesn't mean it didn't happen and certainly isn't evidence that history is only writing by the victor. WW2 is such a large subject to cover that it would be impossible to cover the whole war in one school term.

However, as pointed out previously, Operation Paperclip is very well documented and is not a secret. I could point you towards western books on the subject, possibly German sources as well. I'm sure there is also a Wiki page that is in German and English.

Orion2

Banned
Not sure if you've fully understood my last post.

This isn't something that I would expect to be taught in schools. I can only refer to UK schools, but when they cover WW2, they'll only cover the the main aspects of the war. When they taught WW2 in my secondary school (high school) we learned about the cause of the war, the Battle of Britain, the Blitz, D-day etc. However, we didn't focus on the war in Asia that much, or the Eastern Front. We certainly didn't cover the mass suicides that happened in Germany after the fall of Berlin, but doesn't mean it didn't happen and certainly isn't evidence that history is only writing by the victor. WW2 is such a large subject to cover that it would be impossible to cover the whole war in one school term.

However, as pointed out previously, Operation Paperclip is very well documented and is not a secret. I could point you towards western books on the subject, possibly German sources as well. I'm sure there is also a Wiki page that is in German and English.
well, like I said, that was my point, these kind of things are not present in mainstream stuff, and that was just one example of something they can't deny, I can list around 1000 things from WW2 that are not consistent with mainstream facts like who funded a lot of it, how it started, the role of the US/UK secret services, false flags and stuff, I never said there are no guys or private individuals who do their own work, but we're talking about the mainstream, you will never have the full story, and that's my point, which is true, unlike you said in your first reply to me

Top Bottom