• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games have come the closest to real life detail/clutter?

nkarafo

I love detailed, environments. Give me clutter. Give me random machines, pipes and cables. I need random objects and trash thrown over other trash. Show me lived in offices and houses, instead of sterile rooms from an IKEA brochure.

I need this in my games:

afZI8zn.jpg

PemJJSQ.jpg

zarLMeW.jpg

LqmuA1F.jpg

2gH0Hsb.jpg

ZTioudk.jpg

Yeah, i know most game don't take place in a car factory but a lot of games have tech bases and futuristic environments that try to look like so, complete with random moving machinery. But the detail is never up there.

Real life is clutter and has detail beyond what most studios have the time/money to hand craft, even if modern systems have the power to render all that. But some games must have come closer than others. So what games have the most environmental detail/clutter nowadays?

Banned
in Control you can shoot off every leg of every table, desk and chair. you can destroy the outer walls of a cupboard and see the drawers fall out of them, all with real time physics.

if there's a cupboard made of metal, you can shoot the metal drawers and see them move in and out due to the bullet's force (a bit unrealistic to be fair, but that's Hollywood physics so I'll give it a pass)

if you use your force push-esque ability in a fully decked out office, all the furniture will be damaged and flung across the room, complete with chunks of debris from the floor and some lose sheets of paper.

it's not super detailed at first glace, but due to the extrme destructibility and density of small physically calculated objects that can all be disassembled piece by piece by the player... I think Control is a good contenter

Last edited:
I need random objects and trash thrown over other trash. Show me lived in offices and houses, instead of sterile rooms from an IKEA brochure.
materials in games often look brand new with no wear whatsoever.
clean edges. expertly manufactured. no dirt, nice and uniformly clean.

there should be a middleware that adds layers of dirt, imperfections, grime, fingerprints, etc.
kind of like ambient occlusion knows where to add shadows... have the middleware procedurally add layers of this stuff based on high traffic/high touchpoint estimates and the like.

GymWolf

in Control you can shoot off every leg of every table, desk and chair. you can destroy the outer walls of a cupboard and see the drawers fall out of them, all with real time physics.

if there's a cupboard made of metal, you can shoot the metal drawers and see them move in and out due to the bullet's force (a bit unrealistic to be fair, but that's Hollywood physics so I'll give it a pass)

if you use your force push-esque ability in a fully decked out office, all the furniture will be damaged and flung across the room, complete with chunks of debris from the floor and some lose sheets of paper.

it's not super detailed at first glace, but due to the extrme destructibility and density of small physically calculated objects that can all be disassembled piece by piece by the player... I think Control is a good contenter

I don't think destruction is what he was asking, more like locations cluttered with a lot of shit everywhere.

Comtrol look like your typical office with many desk but nothing like the pics in the op.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Fallout 4 downtown Boston. There are a couple of blocks that are completely wrecked and flooded with twisted metal and piles of garbage everywhere. I like that area.

Don't have any pics so use your imagination.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You know this is the reason why games introduced “detective vision” in all its forms, right? Because when visual clutter reaches a certain point it becomes a nightmare to differentiate between background stuff and things you can actually interact with. And that point has already been reached and surpassed.

Banned
I don't think destruction is what he was asking, more like locations cluttered with a lot of shit everywhere.

Comtrol look like your typical office with many desk but nothing like the pics in the op.

there are parts in the game that are cluttered by default. like the room where you hunt down the Hand Chair.

cormack12

Gold Member
I thought entering the kitchen in RE7 was phenomenal. And the mansion they end up in RDR2 is pretty good too for the gang.

End of uncharted 4 was superb. Not sure whether requiem counts but some of those villages with bodies, butchery and blood were pretty well done too.

Puscifer

I thought entering the kitchen in RE7 was phenomenal. And the mansion they end up in RDR2 is pretty good too for the gang.

End of uncharted 4 was superb. Not sure whether requiem counts but some of those villages with bodies, butchery and blood were pretty well done too.
I need to see it for myself if people keep recommending it, I gave up on it because it was too much of a walking sim. I think I did finish it but can't remember lol

yamaci17

cyberpunk is insane

IINBKtV.png

arkham city is also a honorable mention

especially steel mill. insane clutter

Last edited:
I feel like What Remains of Edith Finch did this really well. I’m kinda mid on it as a whole (much preferring Soma or even Firewatch in the walking sim category), but that house has definitely stayed with me for the sense of being an archaeologist rifling around in the place where people lived, dreamed, and died.

Last edited:

Three

You know this is the reason why games introduced “detective vision” in all its forms, right? Because when visual clutter reaches a certain point it becomes a nightmare to differentiate between background stuff and things you can actually interact with. And that point has already been reached and surpassed.
That's why depth perception in VR is so good

Top Bottom