• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game/s from a series are so good that you cannot play the older games from that series?

Mondai

Monster Hunter World/Rise : The quality of life changes, exploration and such are soo good to me that I cannot play the older DS titles anymore.
Elden Ring world is fun to explore and again, QOL changes are great that I cannot enjoy the others Souls games as much as I used to.

Laptop1991

I had this with GTA Vice City, i tried to play GTA 3 afterwards and didn't like it as a lot was missing from VC and also with The Witcher 3, i can't get into The Witcher 2 after playing 3.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Don't have any "cannot" plays, but I can't see myself replaying SMB1 or Zelda 1 when SMW and LTTP exist.

Actually, Metroid 1. Metroid 1 blows and there's no reason to play it.

Last edited:
The Curse of Monkey Island. The two games that preceded it are incredible as well and the sequel isn't that bad apart from the controls, so that's really saying something. Actually, I guess I still play the other games sometimes. But 99% of the time when I feel nostalgic for some Monkey Island, I'll go straight for Curse. I know the entire game inside out and it only takes me around two hours to beat, but I still went through it like 10 times last year alone.

I also sort of have the opposite problem with Deus Ex. The second game was shit, but Human Revolution and Mankind Divided were decent games. Just not nearly as good as the original, so I always just end up playing that.

Going back to the earlier Earth Défense Force games after playing 4.1 on PC & 5 on PS5 is tough. Not because of the gameplay or anything as you're still shooting bugs in the face for weapon loot drops, its just the performance is so much worse on older releases we had on PS2, PS3.

I agree with Monster Hunter World, but I haven’t played Rise.

Elden Ring is fun, and a good open world take on Souls, but I don’t see myself replaying it as much as older Souls games since a playthrough takes so long (unless you’re intentionally Speedrunning, which kind of defeats the point of an open world game’s appeal).

I think this could be said a for a good amount of remakes. REmake and Metroid Zero Mission pretty much make their respective originals obsolete.
Metroid Samus Returns it’s hard to tell because I never finished the original.
RE2 and RE3make lose too much in translation to say that they’re the clear “definitive” experiences though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hard to say. Not much comes to mind

I usually find myself wishing the controls went back to what they were, lol.

But something like LOZ or Neutopia. The 3D movement in Neutopia 2 and ALTTP make it hard for me to go back to their 4-direction predecessors.

cireza

That's a pretty good topic. I think there are many of them.

King of Fighters 99 Evolution on Dreamcast : can't play any previous game, and even the later ones don't come close.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles : I can't really enjoy Sonic 1 and 2 MD anymore (still love the MS games though), this game was such a major step for the series.
Sonic Unleashed : made all previous 3D entries less fun to me. Still the best 3D game in my opinion.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei : perfection, I don't enjoy the first game much anymore.
Valkyria Chronicles 4 : such a huge step forward from all previous entries, even the very first.
Dead or Alive 5/6 : can't play the previous ones anymore, these two were a huge step forward. 5+ on Vita is based.
Sekiro : this game actually made the entire Souls series tedious to me.
Final Fantasy games before XIII : games feel too old school for me, even X is on the verge.
Zelda BotW : while not perfect in any way, I never really enjoyed the previous 3D entries and now it is even more difficult.
Final Fight CD : best entry for the series as far as I am concerned.
Golden Axe 3 : much better than the first two games.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Breaking the rules a bit, but Dying Light's made Dead Island completely useless to me. Same combat and general feel, only drastically improved, and you know, they really enhanced their player movement.
Middle-earth: Shadow of War was such a giant upgrade that I'm sure replaying Shadow of Mordor will be tough.
Left 4 Dead 2 includes enhanced versions of the L4D1 campaigns, so like most people, I have no need for the first game.
Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron on PSP has customization, a real campaign, and huge battles that take place across both land and space. It's only a little disappointing to return to Battlefront II on PC (where at least I get to use a mouse again).

I dunno, often I prefer the first entry. Sometimes I'd say it's the sequels I can't play.

Deerock71

Shin Megami Tensei V is so good it feels transformative compared to the first mainline games. It actually makes exploring desolate wastelands fun, if you can believe it. Plus, the destruction allows for some fairly intricate puzzles to navigate through. The game is engaging on so many levels.

Daytonabot

Banned
This thread is why I try to play series in order, even if I am late to them. I did allow myself to jump to MHW after bouncing off one of the PSP ones years ago, so that is a great example though.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Elden Ring world is fun to explore and again, QOL changes are great that I cannot enjoy the others Souls games as much as I used to.
I personally don't feel this way. The quality of life improvements are really good, but there is so much filler, reused assets and unused open space in the game. I actually like the claustrophobic design of the souls games better.

I personally have a hard time going backwards with most fighting and racing games. Though there are a few titles that are the exception, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike and Mario Kart 64 being the primary examples.

brian0057

Banned
I don't have a problem going back to older titles and playing them, even if they're not the apex of their respective series.
  • Resident Evil (2002 remake). It makes the original game irrelevant beyond simply nostalgia.
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. I still love the rest of the series (sans Conviction and half of Blacklist). But no other title can match it.
  • Thief II: The Metal Age. See above. Although Deadly Shadows is worth it for The Cradle alone.
  • Deus Ex and Mass Effect. Or series that peaked with the first game.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hitman (2016, 2, and 3) is so damn good and despite how amazing Blood Money and the other older titles were, they have aged horribly.

Skyrim is the same way to Morrowind. Morrowind is my favorite in the series by far, but just awfully aged.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Daggerfall > The rest of the series.
Vine Ok GIF

RetroAV

The ones that immediately come to mind are Ninja Gaiden II's obliteration technique, Halo Infinite's grappling hook, and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed's vehicle/level transformations. All 3 make it harder for me to go back/move forward to any other entries.

bender

What time is it?
Going back to the earlier Earth Défense Force games after playing 4.1 on PC & 5 on PS5 is tough. Not because of the gameplay or anything as you're still shooting bugs in the face for weapon loot drops, its just the performance is so much worse on older releases we had on PS2, PS3.

I've actually been playing through EDF2/3 (2017) on Switch and I greatly prefer those titles to 4.1/5. Not that the latter titles are deep or anything but I like how incredibly simple 2017 (my first EDF via X360) was/is.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I made the mistake of playing Dishonored 1 and 2 at the same time. Ended up finishing Dishonored 2, no interest in playing 1 anymore though I hear it's really good.

Also I've never finished Fallout New Vegas, but after Fallout 4 and playing 76 on PC...I can't even do Fallout New Vegas on PC.

ZoukGalaxy

Batman Arkham Knight.

I played the older AFTER, it was a PITA.
Batman AK is superior in EVERY aspect, all previous looked like Beta.
Also, the Batmobile was a BLAST and one of my favorite part of the game.
batman arkham knight GIF

Rayman Legends. Even Rayman 2 (which was solid) feels not-so-good after Rayman Legends, and the first just feels awful.

Marvel's Spiderman. I know they were by other developers/publishers, but the other open world Spiderman games just don't come anywhere close.

Tetris is Tetris, but Tetris Effect has made the earlier games far less appealing by comparison.

Golden Axe 3 : much better than the first two games.

Gobsmacked by this.

I have to ask - did you definitely mean the Genesis only Golden Axe 3? If you meant The Revenge Of Death Adder, I could understand that, even if I personally prefer the original Golden Axe.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've tried to get into Morrowind multiple times, but nah it's just not as accessible as Oblivion and Skyrim were for me.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I have trouble playing the two Zelda games that came before LTTP.

I likewise have trouble getting into Mass Effect.

Assassin's Creed is so thoroughly outclassed by AC2 that it's hard to play in long spurts.

Uncharted is a tough sell given every game after it.

Top Bottom