• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What framerate for you is the tipping point of diminishing return?

What FPS?

Votes: 15 4.6%

Votes: 102 31.0%

Votes: 125 38.0%

Votes: 36 10.9%

Votes: 7 2.1%

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • 360+

Votes: 13 4.0%

Votes: 16 4.9%

• Total voters

Akuji

How many people have seen the new 360hz oled panels?
Framerate is not everything, its just one part of a larger complex system.
Some 120hz panels feel sluggish, some feel great. Same for 144hz panels.

Probably same for 240hz as well but all my 240hz panels were atleast fine.
Right now i wait for the 360hz OLED panels to get to a price where i can afford them.
These seem to be very close to being perfect for motion for our human eyes atleast.
But we will see ...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I answered 60, but I guess I do still see some slight judder at that frame rate, so maybe I answered wrong. But 60 is smooth enough to not be distracting.

Rheon

165fps is quite pleasing to the brain from my experience.

I’ve been playing on 165fps/1440p for almost 2 years now and I think in order to see any meaningful gains I would have to switch to 4k/240hz, which would likely require a 5090 for my next build

You and I are in exactly the same boat. For my next build, I can't do anything less than 4K/240hz after 3 years of 2K/165hz, and yes I also want a 5090 :messenger_sunglasses:

Phase

About 144hz, though I do notice a decent smoothness difference when going from my 240hz monitor to my 144hz. I'm a frame snob so I will try out even better ones some day, but if you get used to high framerate you certainly will notice when you drop down again.

Saying all of this, I can still get used to 30-60fps when I play old games. It doesn't take long.

Pop

120+ starts to get real hard to tell

Even if you play at 120 for awhile and then cap your frames at 90. Its hardly noticeable

Solidus_T

Generally speaking, the higher the fps, the better you will do in competitive games, especially shooters and racing games. I believe it was Nvidia who did the survey, but you can find it on LTT videos where gamers reported a very noticeable difference up to 144hz, and still did better with even more fps despite it being harder to tell. The drop off begins at 144fps supposedly. I've seen 280hz and it is crispy, but my screens are 120 and 144

Akuji

Went from 144hz TN to Oled 175hz and the difference was big.
but probably more beacuse the oled ist just so much better in all the stats not just framerate.

Oleds really are becoming the supreme gaming panel tech. Everyone saying it for close to a decade but the tech never got there. Now its finally time :D

As a guy with 90hz monitor I would say 90hz is sweet spot. Difference between 60 and 90 is amazing despite numbers are close (was a big surprise for me). Same goes for VR - 120hz is better but it's barely noticeable compared to 90hz. However 60fps content on 90hz monitor is NOT optimal (30fps is perfectly fine) - that's why 120hz is much more practical and have it's reserve.

Last edited:

manfestival

been watching different reviewers and what not and it convinced me to go from 144hz to 240hz. Now I can definitely tell a difference between the two screens. its not huge like 60 to 120 was. However, I just cannot tell at what point the difference in smoothness occurs but it is definitely there. The real sweet spot is that 120-144hz range. Definitely do believe those that say that the higher refresh rates definitely are something you can see. Though it is interesting when they say a 360hz OLED panel has the same smoothness of a 540hz IPS/TN.

twilo99

You and I are in exactly the same boat. For my next build, I can't do anything less than 4K/240hz after 3 years of 2K/165hz, and yes I also want a 5090 :messenger_sunglasses:

5090 should be enough .. at least for most FPS multiplayer titles, but not sure if it will be able to pull that across the board for all games

What games to you mainly play?

Rheon

5090 should be enough .. at least for most FPS multiplayer titles, but not sure if it will be able to pull that across the board for all games

What games to you mainly play?

I play almost anything except FPS multiplayer titles haha, though mostly RPGs and fighting games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would say 60 but then again I never had TV that supported higher frame rate other than 60FPS.

Last edited:

timothet

Depends on platform. For example, for me 90Hz feels somewhat smooth on regular display but feels like an absolute slideshow in VR.

On desktop I have display capable of 165Hz but I'm running majority of games at 120Hz. I can feel the difference but it's not that significant for me.

In VR though, the higher the better. I'm running my Index at 144Hz and would run it higher if it was capable of it.

dcx4610

30 to 60 is a massive difference. 60 to 120 is a big difference. 120 to 144hz is noticeable.

144+ for me but as long as I'm getting 120, I'm very happy with that. It really comes down to the game itself. Something like DOOM, the faster the frame rate the better. Something like Last of Us, 60fps is perfectly fine since it's slower paced.

90 FPS for visuals, beyond that it's mostly just better input response mainly for mouse use. 90 Hz was chosen for a reason for many VR headsets. It's the optimal balance if you're performance limited. There's of course some improvement in movement clarity all the way up to 1000hz if you had such a screen, but you can get similar results with BFI.

Dorago

Anything lower than 60 and I can see the black frames and I get eye strain until my brain adjusts again.

120 is very nice for desktop navigation but I find it irrelevant for games.

Beyond 60 you just seem to get repeated frames and a sped up look.

Maybe an AA budget game will come out that runs the entire simulation at 300 fps or something, but until then higher frame rates don't add much.

I always thought my limit would be 60. 60 seemed so smooth...then I got a 4090 and 120hz TV - 80-120 is now my target. When I go back to 60 it seems so juddery - more than I recall it was. Frametiming may be a thing.

Ogbert

At 100 you get that additional level of smoothness.

Can’t tell above that unless I look at the Nvidia numbers.

simpatico

120 is the new 60. High refresh monitor totally opened my eyes. Games that are locked at 60 are notably choppy compared to the ones that aren't.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
144 was the eureka moment for me. Seeing how smoothly the world panned when I moved the camera changed my mind about 60fps being the gold standard. Now, 60fps is the minimum I tolerate. I've never seen anything above 144 with my own eyes, so I can't comment on that.

Hunnybun

I voted 60 but the real point of significantly diminishing returns is more like 40. For me 40 is way better than 30, whereas 60 is definitely much better than 40 but not as transformative.

I can appreciate higher but it's fairly marginal. I'd have thought anything beyond 80 or 90 would basically be imperceptible.

JimboJones

I've tested this on my 240fps monitor and honestly I think most normal people couldn't tell the difference above 30fps in a test. At least people who are not playing competitively. So I would say there is diminishing returns even above 30 for most people. I've not experienced anything above 240fps myself but I would say for me personally 60fps is the sweet spot. Especially when trying to hit 240fps means compromising on something else more noticeable.
Hopefully as frame gen gets better and more games use it framegening from 120 to 240 would be a nice compromise to make use of those hi refresh monitors 😎

On controller, once it's at 120, serious diminishing returns and once I'm at 180, I don't feel any increase in smoothness by going any higher

On mouse, it's diminishing returns once I'm over 180. Highest I have ever played at is 230ish but I don't think I would even be able to tell the difference if I went any higher

Side note. Grew up playing consoles and not even knowing about frame rate but I remember when Battlefield 3 came out and whichever COD came out around the same time. I LOVED BF but I had to admit that "for some reason" it was so hard for me to track mining targets and I tried describing to my friends at the time but I couldn't explain. Came to find out later that BF was 30fps and cod was 60.

Fast forward to today, when I'm using a controller, 60 feels to me today how i remember 30 feeling back then and 120 feels how I remember 60 feeling. I'm not saying it to be a snob and I'm dead serious when I say that playing an FPS at 60 today feels physically uncomfortable and playing at 30 doesn't even feel like actual video but rather like snapping photographs very quickly. I can WATCH 30fps or when 24fps and kind of forget and believe the motion I'm seeing but when I'm in control it's entirely different and immersion/believe in the illusion of true motion is nearly impossible

StereoVsn

I would say that beyond 120-144 you get diminishing returns if you mainly do SP. If you do competitive MP, sky is the limit, but at least up to 240 or so is useful, IMO.

Katatonic

Obviously the higher the better, but speaking strictly in terms of diminishing returns, 60hz at 4k is the best target imo.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
60 is perfect for me. But I can notice up to 120 tops, and that is only if I experience them in sequence. So, 60 is ideal. Anything above that is silly to me.

For modern single player story focused games 45 is the sweet spot for me, its the cinema 24fps for games. 60 to 120 have a good difference but only worth It for specific genres

OoT at 20 is totally awsome by the way

I have a 240hz monitor but I tend to cap at 120fps cause I honestly barely notice the difference past it. I'm perfectly fine with capping it at 60 or 80 if it makes for a prettier game.

Kataploom

Gold Member
At 90 I'm good, hell, now my standard is 70 to 80, if it's 90 better yet, that way falling into 60 or even high 50 in specific moments will still be ok, anything around 60 is already input lag loss territory, but nothing terrible, I'll just noticed it, not that it will bother me or so, it's just that around 80 input lag and game fluidity is perfect, everything higher doesn't look or feel any much better so that's my sweet spot and now I'll plan builds around that performance goal at High settings (hell, even medium since those don't change too much from tier to tier these days)

Top Bottom