• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think each next gen console will cost?

Vawn

Banned
Now that we have seen the first images of next generation, what do you think the prices will be?

I personally think Microsoft's strategy is to have a console significantly cheaper than the PS5 and a console that could cost a little more.

My predictions:

Xbox Series X: $599
PS5: $499
Xbox Series S (All Digital): $349

nikolino840

Now that we have seen the first images of next generation, what do you think the prices will be?

I personally think Microsoft's strategy is to have a console significantly cheaper than the PS5 and a console that could cost a little more.

My predictions:

Agree

Is it certain that the PS5 will be weaker than Series X? 100 dollars weaker, at that?

I’m pretty confident Series X and PS5 will both be at least 500 bucks. I’m expecting 600.

johntown

Banned
how-about-1.jpg

Vawn

Banned
Is it certain that the PS5 will be weaker than Series X? 100 dollars weaker, at that?

I’m pretty confident Series X and PS5 will both be at least 500 bucks. I’m expecting 600.

No. Nothing is certain.

Also, remember PS4 was significantly more powerful than Xbox One, yet was still $100 cheaper. There's no Kinect this time, but price doesn't always relate to power 1 to 1.

Last edited:

Codes 208

No way in hell that series X comes in less than $500. I bet they're losing money at that price, even with discounts.
They were losing money with the 360 (and thats before the rrod fiasco) as well. They made up for it via xbox live subs. With the push for xcloud and Ult. Game pass, they could very well do the same thing here

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Not going to get the PS5 until a couple years after launch. Will wait on games and price drop. No way I'm paying launch prices I know are going to be ridiculous.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

My predictions:

I think you're guesstimates are pretty darn good based on what we know (or think we know) so far. I think the XSX could possibly be even a little higher. I'm in day 1 regardless and if the PS 5 matches the XSX specs it too could go higher.

There would be base model and a souped up model going by the name they are using. Series x, series s etc.

Pro and amateur models on other side. Price should start with 399 to be have mass appeal. Though that will likely get you disc less, ssd less model.

Romulus

That would be the sweet spot. I’m already putting together a budget.

$600 is a bit ridiculous and $500 seems like a game breaker if anyone decides to go under it.

$600 probably won't happen, but $500 consoles have done well for years. X1X was one of them. Inflation is always a thing too. If ps4 released with modern inflation adjusted it would be around $440 and it was considered underpowered by most at launch. XSX isn't, at all.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
For some reason I have a feeling MS wants to beat Sonys $500 range and keep it above 5 hunnit.

( reality will slap as hard, both be at $500 and beyond 🤭😁 )
Reality will hit cheapskates these would be a bargain at 499.99. We wanted high end hardware that costs money. This is not last generation with mid range GPU, mechanical hard drives and netbook CPU. These are great machines 8 core zen2, good SSD and a 2080 level GPU. That costs money but it will also age much better than last generation. Still cheaper that the video card alone right now.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
$499 max, any more is dead on arrival.
Totally agree. No one will make that mistake ever again. Zero chance these consoles will cost more than $499.99, unless they go the “cell phone” route and offer payment plans of like $30/month. Phone companies have been raping consumers with $1000 phones with marginal improvements EVERY YEAR for years with this strategy — it works and it’s way more justifiable psychologically than coming out of pocket with $600-$1000 in a lump sum.

if they offer payment plans then they can charge $600-$800 easily (for more advanced models with storage, etc).

Last edited:
If sony is smart, they would release a premium version with cell processor at heart.

That would melt hearts of even snobbiest of pc master race and easily justify the price tag.

I don't know about Xbox, but i am still expecting Sony to ask for $399 for PS5.

The $499 price was something the next gen speculation thread had been demanding for months. And somehow they convince everyone else in this forum that $499 is baked in stone.

The way I see it, $399 was the price Sony was aiming for from the beginning, so that is how much it would cost when it launches. Any talk about it being "good value proposition" is just distractions to stop MS from matching them.

Jtibh

Banned
Base price for both will be $499.
Then you will have the option for more storage and maybe some extra stuff stand or whatever plus one year free membership for $599.

But my ideal price would be $599 which would translate in a better more efficient hardware.

I dont see the point of the lockhart model if it will be the same or more money as the x which is more powerfull.

Jtibh

Banned
Totally agree. No one will make that mistake ever again. Zero chance these consoles will cost more than $499.99, unless they go the “cell phone” route and offer payment plans of like $30/month. Phone companies have been raping consumers with $1000 phones with marginal improvements EVERY YEAR for years with this strategy — it works and it’s way more justifiable psychologically than coming out of pocket with $600-$1000 in a lump sum.

if they offer payment plans then they can charge $600-$800 easily (for more advanced models with storage, etc).
Are we going to ignore the fact that cellphones last 2 years and then you have to get a new one due to dead battery or other stuff hence contracts are 2 years long.
So my ps4 after 5 years is still running my pro and x is still running, thats a great return of investment. I went through 3 phones in 5 years.
Never mind one breaks on you now you have to get the next one full price till your contract runs out. Fuck that now thats a big scam.

Love how no one is like 1000 bucks for a gpu?? Dead on arrival. 400 or no go.

This aint genesis or nes anymore. Its a lot of tech and worth every dollar . What you guys want with your 400 or bust shit? Same idiots have no problem spending 400 on new shoes.

SpiceRacz

Keeping my fingers crossed the PS5 comes in at $399. I think going to $499 on either console is going to turn off a lot of people. The sweet spot would be $299, but that ain't happening.

Romulus

I just don't understand how anyone thinks $400 is possible in 2020. These are probably the most well rounded, powerful consoles we've ever seen stacked against gaming PCs(less powerful but actually respectable). Theres no crazy glaring weakness like X1X, which is a great machine but it has a god awful cpu, and it was $500 but sold well. People really expect 2x more GPU and 4x more CPU, SSD for $100 less? Huh?

Fuck no. $500, even $600 is a fucking steal with 12tf and a decent CPU.

$500.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I can't see them being $400. Maybe $450 if one is revealed to be gimped in some way compared to the other or one is trying to be aggressive on price. $500 for the base (high end) model. MS is already being relatively aggressive, i.e. consumer friendly by allowing old controllers. Sony will likely put some useless bullshit in theirs and force you to buy extra new ones. I wouldn't be too surprised to see them at $550 as there is no need to be at an even 100 other than psychology.

They will be $500 if they are truly aiming to release powerful next-gen consoles.
They are aiming for consoles people will buy. Being powerful at the cost of a higher price never pans out. Releasing a $499 console will earn them less money in the long run than a $399 machine.

Birdo

Banned
I think the PS5 will cost more than the SEX. Just because I know Sony well enough.

(The only reason XBO cost more than the PS4 at launch was because of Kinnect. It's been cheaper ever since).

FlyyGOD

Xbox Series X is going to be $599 or $549 at least. No way we're going to get that much power and not pay a premium price.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Are we going to ignore the fact that cellphones last 2 years and then you have to get a new one due to dead battery or other stuff hence contracts are 2 years long.
So my ps4 after 5 years is still running my pro and x is still running, thats a great return of investment. I went through 3 phones in 5 years.
Never mind one breaks on you now you have to get the next one full price till your contract runs out. Fuck that now thats a big scam.

Love how no one is like 1000 bucks for a gpu?? Dead on arrival. 400 or no go.

This aint genesis or nes anymore. Its a lot of tech and worth every dollar . What you guys want with your 400 or bust shit? Same idiots have no problem spending 400 on new shoes.
Look, I totally agree with you. I’m just saying “the masses” won’t spend that money on a new game console, which is ridiculous given the value you’re getting, as you said. $500 for series X stats will be a fantastic deal, there’s no question.
Now it’s time to wait and see what Sony’s strategy is and where they place themselves in the market.

Top Bottom