• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What could be the best selling DS game?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Here are all the heavy hitters I can think of at the moment:

New Super Mario Bros.
Nintendogs
Mario Kart
FFIV
Animal Crossing
Pokemon

With the right type of marketing, I think the New Super Mario Bros. could take the title.

Oh, and this is for overall sales, not just first day/week/etc.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Pokemon

but new Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart and Nintendogs, all will sell shitloads. I think Nintendogs sold nearly 4 million units to date and by the end of the year possibly it will reach something close to 5 millions. How long did it take for Halo to sell 5 million units worldwide? I think about 3 years.

Oblivion

kia said:
Pokemon

but new Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart and Nintendogs, all will sell shitloads. I think Nintendogs sold nearly 4 million units to date and by the end of the year possibly it will reach something close to 5 millions. How long did it take for Halo to sell 5 million units worldwide? I think about 3 years.

Actually, Nintendogs is at about 2.5 (a little less, i think) mil, so far.

as far as the near future goes, i think it's going to be Animal Crossing all the way.

as far as the hardware, and interface go, it's just what the game needed to make it was it was intended to be. a communication game that everyone can play.

or in Pokemons case, well, the best thought out Pokemon player out there.

starship

Oblivion said:
Actually, Nintendogs is at about 2.5 (a little less, i think) mil, so far.
but according to Nintendo it sold more than 1 mil in all three major territories. (and I mean shipping numbers not sold to consumers)

Oblivion

kia said:
but according to Nintendo it sold more than 1 mil in all three major territories. (and I mean shipping numbers not sold to consumers)

Oh, well that's another story then, I guess. I'm just goin by what Reggie said recently that Nintendogs sold over 2 million WW.

starship

phantomile co. said:
as far as the near future goes, i think it's going to be Animal Crossing all the way.

as far as the hardware, and interface go, it's just what the game needed to make it was it was intended to be. a communication game that everyone can play.

or in Pokemons case, well, the best thought out Pokemon player out there.
but Animal Crossing isn't at the same league as Pokemon, Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart or Nintendogs.

word on the street is that it's selling super great.

even if it isn't off to a good start, this game will have the biggest word of mouth going around than any other game in recent history.

Final Fantasy III should do pretty well. Not only is it Final Fantasy, it's a complete 3D remake, and it's never been released here in the United States.

However, I'm going to give the crown to Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Pokemon or Mario. All four are (or have the potential to be) juggernauts.

Polari

Pokemon, Animal Crossing will be a close second though. This is definitely the time the franchise goes mainstream, the DS was made for this game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AndoCalrissian said:
Final Fantasy III should do pretty well. Not only is it Final Fantasy, it's a complete 3D remake, and it's never been released here in the United States.

However, I'm going to give the crown to Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Pokemon or Mario. All four are (or have the potential to be) juggernauts.
I think many people will buy it in the US simply because they think it's a FFVI remake instead.

Aurora

Pokémon will annihilate everything in its path.
If it has online battles + trades it will be a total eclipse.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
phantomile co. said:
word on the street is that it's selling super great.

even if it isn't off to a good start, this game will have the biggest word of mouth going around than any other game in recent history.

selling well in Japan. but it won't sell nearly as well in the states imo.. Pokemon is the champ until something can take the title

Oblivion

Blackace said:
selling well in Japan. but it won't sell nearly as well in the states imo.. Pokemon is the champ until something can take the title

How much did AC for the GC sell in the U.S.?

1. Pokemon (especially if it uses wifi in some way)
2. Nintendogs
3. Mario Kart
4. Animal Crossing
5. New Super Mario Bros.

But damn, all five of these should sell awesomely.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
TheTurtleTitan said:
1. Pokemon (especially if it uses wifi in some way)
2. Nintendogs
3. Mario Kart
4. Animal Crossing
5. New Super Mario Bros.

But damn, all five of these should sell awesomely.

some kinda sick list if MARIO is your fifth best sellin game.

JavyOO7

1. New SMB
2. Pokemon
3. Mario Kart
4. Animal Crossing
5. Nintendogs

I honestly think, when all is said and done, this new Mario game will be special. As in, SMB3 special. I think it'll sell overall to half of DS owners when all is said and done.

Then again, I am biased. Sorry Pikachu!

Jiggy

jj984jj said:
I think many people will buy it in the US simply because they think it's a FFVI remake instead.
Not if FFVI is out on GBA at the same time. It might depend on how far they space those two releases, if at all.

Anyway, yeah, Pokemon. Saying anything else will be the best-selling DS game is akin to saying that something other than GTA or Madden will top the charts on PS3. And since everyone else is saying it...

1. Pokemon - Too much franchise power and too much awesome gameplay to go down.
2. Nintendogs - People like dogs, apparently. I'd buy it for $5, myself.
3. Mario Kart - See Pokemon, except somewhat less awesome gameplay and a lot less franchise power.
4. New Super Mario Bros. - If it can manage to be as good as SMB3 or SMW...
5. Animal Crossing - Yes, it's a million-seller on the GC, but even if it has exactly the same sales as on the GC, I see that as being lower than the other four.

jarrod

Banned
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl pretty easily, it'll be the only handheld game to surpass 10 million units post GBA. I expect lots of healthy DS & PSP sellers though, with Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, New SMB and GTA LCS all positioned to pass 5 million each lifetime. Brain Training/Flex have a chance too if they take off in the west.

SpiffyG

CreatureX3 said:
1. Pokemon
2. Mario Kart
3. New Super Mario Bros.
4. Nintendogs
5. Animal Crossing
Hmm... seems correct mostly... but it might also look like this:

1. Pokemon
2. Mario Kart
3. Animal Crossing
4. New Super Mario Bros.
5. Nintendogs

Zweisy1

Im hoping for the New Super Mario Bros. but it's gonna be Pokemon..

Nintendo should make a wifi enabled Smash Brothers game for the DS too. Would sell shitloads.

Top Bottom