• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your Gaming resolutions for 2022?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
2021 was an... eventful year: attempted authoritarian power grabs, mass death from a new disease spreading around the globe, mass unrest throughout the United States, and, as always, the world is stumbling stupidly toward a severe and probably irreversible climate apocalypse. Some might say 2022 is the time to confront our future, to seize destiny with our hands and make a new, better world for our gaming lives.

But, honestly, who has time for all of that between our backlogs and all the new games releasing this year?

List your gaming resolutions for 2022. Anything related to gaming can apply. Video or analog. You can even talk about resolutions unrelated to gaming; it's not like I'm gonna stop you. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Here's mine:

1. At least try to play my Switch more
I barely touch the thing at the minute which is a shame. Hopefully Triangle Strategy can help me get back into the system.

2. Play more JRPGs.
Tales of Arise really opened my eyes and taught me to not judge a game by it's cover. Oh and FF7 remake Intergrade was really good as well.
so yeah.

3. Support my local gaming stores -
There is a great independent gaming store that does new games and retro titles about 20 minutes drive from me (they also post things too). I have started getting games through them and I'd like to do that with some other stockists in my area. They were able to source me a 3D pulse headset over New Year for the PS5 and it feels better than going through online stockists.

4. Finish Red Dead Redemption II
I'd previously got up to the "New Orleans" chapter, but then got distracted. It's remained untouched on my shelf ever since.

5. Get Back in Shape
Yeah, I know. How generic of me. I mean, I'm technically a shape right now, and there's nothing wrong with it, but this year's underlying themes (both global and personal) have helped drive home the importance of staying healthy. Not just for my sake, but for those I wanna stick around for, too.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I would like to finish Breath of the Wild.

It's just, I have the game. And I LOVE exploring the world, and the shrines have been OK so far. But I don't like the battle system. I just can't nail it. I play it the most archaic way you can think of. That has been a problem for me.

Banjo64

cumsessed
1080p and 4k.

JK.

Stop platinum hunting.

Play for enjoyment only. If a game gets boring at the 1 hour mark or 7 hour mark, don’t persevere. Time is precious.

Seek out more original experiences with devs I’ve no experience of. Indie and AA space is good for this, as in the past I’ve gravitated towards known quantities (AAA sequels or games from the same devs).

Perrott

Gold Member
My only goal is to go through:
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
  • Persona 3 FES
  • Persona 4
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Catherine: Full Body
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
  • Dragon's Crown Pro
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
  • and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
The year of Atlus.

Not pre order anything and I mean anything… even though I only pre ordered 2 games last year. 1 was good, 1 of them wasn’t terrible but I wish I waited for a price drop (no more heroes 3).

Not buy any game unless it’s confirmed non political, i’m looking at you Sony. :/

Sucks that I feel I pretty much can’t blind purchase anything anymore.

I would like to play less games in general. Having finished around 40 titles last year (played at least twice as many), I feel like I wasted a lot of time (and money) that would be better off spent on books, workout etc.

So for 2022 my gaming resolution is to focus on let's say 10-20 games (new and old) that I'm most excited about and try to enjoy them as much as I can.

It's just, I have the game. And I LOVE exploring the world, and the shrines have been OK so far. But I don't like the battle system. I just can't nail it. I play it the most archaic way you can think of. That has been a problem for me.
This is literally me. It never clicks fully for me.

I have probably 50-60 hours in the game because I've restarted and finished the Zora part, and then fall off. Then I lost my save when I got my OLED switch.

I did however start another save yesterday, and I'm about 10 hours in, and trying to be smarter about exploring and getting hearts/stamina before going into the beasts. Also keeping all of the top tier meats so I can sell them and make thousands.

lachesis

1. Finish playing Yakuza 5 - 7 on the game pass while it's still available. Will jump into Judgement when I feel ready.
2. Play thru RE2 Remake / RE3 Remake and RE Vilalge.
3. Play thru Trails of Sky 3rd, Zero and Azure (when avail) - and perhaps Cold Steel 1 & 2 on Steam Deck.

These are my current goals per year. If I achieve more than half of that - I think I would have spent a good year. :)

And getting a new prescription for my eyes... getting old sucks. :(

Bakkus

My only goal is to go through:
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
  • Persona 3 FES
  • Persona 4
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Catherine: Full Body
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
  • Dragon's Crown Pro
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
  • and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
The year of Atlus.
Wow, you are gonna get burned out from playing fundamentally samey games, with dozens of the same monsters appearing in almost every one.

My resolutions are honestly to play more of the most critically acclaimed games I've neglected all my gaming life like I did last year and to certain degrees some of the years beforehand. I've already finished almost every Nintendo game which falls under this category (with some exceptions like various Fire Emblem games and some of those Rare N64 games if you count them). Hopefully I'll feel very content in that area before this miserable pandemic is by large finally over!

captainpat

Play and beat my first soulsbourne game. (dunno how this genre has eluded me for so long)
Play and beat a pre-3 persona game (See why that section of the fanbase is so hyped about them)
Do a complete no-guides blind run on botw2 (assuming it comes out this year).

Y0ssarian

Banned
My goal is to clear my backlog. Currently it sits at 10 games.

- Days Gone
- Death Stranding
- God of War
- The Last of Us Remastered
- Marvel's Spider-Man
- Metroid Dread
- Pokemon Shining Pearl
- Ratchet & Clank
- Shin Megami Tensei V
- Uncharted 4

It's a great backlog to have. Those should keep me busy all year. The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima are on my wishlist. I'm looking forward to Starfield, Pokemon Legends Arceus, Elden Ring & Horizon Forbidden West. I'll just play those as it comes.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
2560x1080@ 165hz on PC

Great resolution there.

Han Solo Ok GIF

Fools idol

Banned
go back through the halls of nostalgia of PS1 games from my collection. I've wanted to replay the classics like MGS1, Resident Evil, Nightmare Creatures, Final Fantasy's and others.

I have the time this year to do it, and my daughter will be old enough to start playing some simple games like Spyro and Croc, games I grew up with, so will be nice to relive those memories with her.

ranmafan

This year my main resolution is to spend the time on my gaming library (what others call a backlog) and just enjoy the games I bought finally. I also plan on drastically cutting down on how many games I get this year, focusing on just must haves for now, and even games I would usually get that aren’t must haves I’ll wait till next year for sales. And also I really want to avoid the annoying constant negative gaming news sites, Twitter feeds, and YouTube commentators this year. I’m tired of all the scandals, the bad news, every game being “bad”, and the constant hyping of rumors that end up being wrong. I just want to have a pleasant and enjoyable 2022 for gaming.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Just avoid combat. I did and I finished the game twice. Ended every encounter with the quickness, fuck creativity. Sure you have boss battles and need to kill enemies for certain quests/items but its never that hard. Even the weapon breaking never bothered me cause there are enough of them. Make sure you have a lot of weapon slots.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
To enjoy gaming again. I feel games are fetch quests and I'd rather work than pay to work virtually.

Systems I've been most playing in the last year are my Wii U and PC Engine mini. PS5 I finished FFVII Intergrade and that's it. Currently enjoying Train Sim World 2 as I find it relaxing.

spend less money. i don't enjoy gaming enough to keep spending a lot of money on it. i'm done spending money upgrading my PC and will use it until it can't play games good enough anymore and at that point i'll pick up a console or stream to my iPad/iPhone. i struggle to sit down and play games for too long. it takes me way too long to finish a game so there's really no point in me buying all these games when i can probably only finish 2-3 games a year and even then it's such an effort. i'll be way more selective of what i buy from now on. this year i will only buy Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy, and BOTW2 if it comes out in 2022. There are other games I'd love to play but it's just not realistic to play anymore. If i do manage to fit more games in then I will.

Chittagong

Gold Member
In 2021 I played 25 games on the Switch, and probably a dozen more on XSX and PS5. But looking back at my backlog Notes app, the most satisfying moments were Dark Souls 3 and DLC.

Also, I have a friend who played exclusively Diablo 3 and Animal Crossing and had a fantastic time. Really digging deep in a game, he says, is much more immersive and motivating.

So my resolution is

1. Play only 2 games and get super deep in them
- Halo Infinite (currently 100h in)
- Elden Ring (late 2022, swap to BOTW2)

teezzy

Banned
In 2021 I played 25 games on the Switch, and probably a dozen more on XSX and PS5. But looking back at my backlog Notes app, the most satisfying moments were Dark Souls 3 and DLC.

Also, I have a friend who played exclusively Diablo 3 and Animal Crossing and had a fantastic time. Really digging deep in a game, he says, is much more immersive and motivating.

So my resolution is

1. Play only 2 games and get super deep in them
- Halo Infinite (currently 100h in)
- Elden Ring (late 2022, swap to BOTW2)

I tried doing this a couple years back with Tekken, NHL, and Monster Hunter. I too envied that deep immersion and understanding.

Sadly, I didn't have the restraint in the end.

95mellow

Play more single-player games. For me, multiplayer stuff is usually a timesink.

I'm tempted to do a "don't buy any new games" rule too. Elden Ring is excluded from that, of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom