• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2011)

Still going through the Commonwealth saga. Shit is really going down now. I love this series.

spoiler from where I'm at right now in the middle of book 2 (Judas Unchained)
morninglightmountain thinks he's being a bad ass by sending the radiation bombs to the commonwealth suns but he wasn't expecting retaliation w/ the quantumbusters and now Nigel is forcing mountain's wormholes open with his mind! haha

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just started City of Glass:

auster.jpg

Anyone read these?

Woorloog

Banned
MotionBlue said:
Plowed through Mistborn by Bryan Sanderson. The first book I've read by him, and enjoyed it greatly.
Bradon, not Bryan

Maklershed said:
Still going through the Commonwealth saga. Shit is really going down now. I love this series.
Yeah, great series. Though during later readthroughs i noticed some... umm, artistic license, like (minor spoiler for those who've just begun reading the series)
Second Chance being able to hide in space, stealth in space is not possible by minimizing EM emissions
, which tend to annoy me. I blame http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.php and TVTropes. Though i wonder why that annoys me but force fields do not.
Be sure to check out the Void Trilogy after reading the Commonwealth Saga, though do note it is rather different, more action packed. Good though, if rather long.

Also, still reading the Way of Kings for third time, skipping Kaladin's flashbacks mostly. Those are absolutely too slow.
I don't stick to book at a time though, reading The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb again. This time i intend to get the final book as well and read it. Second book's ending left me rather cold last time.

And i need to read Deathgate Cycle again as well..

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Just finished The White Luck Warrior, Book 2 of the Aspect Emperor series.
Really, really great series that takes places 20 years after The Prince of Nothing trilogy. I tried these out to fill the ASOIAF void, but ended up enjoying them much more than I expected. They get better with each book. Some of my favorite characters and use of magic ever. I would recommend it to any dark fantasy fan, but start with the Prince of Nothing series or you won't know what's going on.

SumPog

Neo Member
Master and Commander
Patrick O'Brian

n61209.jpg

It's a real compelling read, can't wait to read some more in the series. The movie was great as well.

I just plowed through the last 10% of the second Mistborn book last night:

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

I didn't like it as much as the first book, but I still found it enjoyable. Sanderson is definitely a good storyteller, but not that good fo a writer. I found some parts of the book could have been edited down (the entire siege could have been cut down a few hundred pages!) and other parts could have been more powerful in the hands of another writer. I did not enjoy the emo Vin chapters.

This feels more like a "bridging" book, which a lot of second books in a trilogy feels like. I'll probably ready the last one eventually, but I need to take a break from Vin and Elend for a while.

Zona

Maklershed said:

morninglightmountain thinks he's being a bad ass by sending the radiation bombs to the commonwealth suns but he wasn't expecting retaliation w/ the quantumbusters and now Nigel is forcing mountain's wormholes open with his mind! haha

Glad your liking it. I think the whole of the second book really dose up the awesome. That part specificity was a F**k ya moment for me.

Speaking of Hamilton I just started The Reality Dysfunction .

3454376.jpg

Really enjoying it so far, I just wish college wasn’t cutting into my reading time quite so much. Heh

Maklershed said:

I found Ozzie's storyline to be one of, if not the, most insufferable things I have ever read.

sparky2112 said:
I found Ozzie's storyline to be one of, if not the, most insufferable things I have ever read.
I could see why since its kind of off on a tangent and doesn't seem to be progressing any of the plot but I'm enjoying it so far.

Kaladin

I'm taking a well needed break from:

78eaf0cdd7a04a2e9b496110.L.jpg

to read:

Neal+Stephenson+-+REAmDe.jpg

is that book pronounced Read Me? From the way the M and E are on the cover that's what I get from it.

Dresden

Dumping Master and Margaritia, feels good bro.

What little I got to read of Brasyl is enough for massive hype. Ian McDonald is amazing.
Mattdaddy said:
Just finished The White Luck Warrior, Book 2 of the Aspect Emperor series.
Really, really great series that takes places 20 years after The Prince of Nothing trilogy. I tried these out to fill the ASOIAF void, but ended up enjoying them much more than I expected. They get better with each book. Some of my favorite characters and use of magic ever. I would recommend it to any dark fantasy fan, but start with the Prince of Nothing series or you won't know what's going on.
yacobod[/b said:
Claudius the God

bueno!

Clegg

So GAF I've got a loan of some books from friends and I'm wondering which one I should start with. I've been told to take as much time as I like in reading them too so I dont have to give them back any time soon.

The books are:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Guards Guards by Terry Pratchett

Any preferences on which one I should start first?

Dresden

Clegg said:
So GAF I've got a loan of some books from friends and I'm wondering which one I should start with. I've been told to take as much time as I like in reading them too so I dont have to give them back any time soon.

The books are:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Guards Guards by Terry Pratchett

Any preferences on which one I should start first?
They're all good but I'd go

East of Eden -> Guards Guards -> Monte Cristo

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Maklershed said:

Holy shit, almost spoilered myself there!

Just started Pandora's Star myself! I've read Night's Dawn before, so I guess it's time to start the Commonwealth Saga now! Kinda happy to have a bunch of doorstoppers ahead of me!

hiryu

Bootaaay said:
Thank you for posting this, I love pulp fantasy/historical fiction so this is right up my alley. It's a bit pricey on Kindle, but definitely worth it, Lamb has a great style that's full of history and description without ever getting too wordy, which is often a problem I find with early pulp writers. Awesome stuff.

I've read Wolfe of the Steppes by Lamb and it's awesome too. It clearly influenced Howard for Conan.

Clegg

Dresden said:
They're all good but I'd go

East of Eden -> Guards Guards -> Monte Cristo
Thanks. I was also wondering about Steinbeck. One one my friends practically worships him.

She basically thinks he's God. I'm just wondering is he as good as what I'm hearing?

Is 'The Grapes of Wrath' "The greatest book ever written" as I've been told?

Dresden

Clegg said:
Thanks. I was also wondering about Steinbeck. One one my friends practically worships him.

She basically thinks he's God. I'm just wondering is he as good as what I'm hearing?

Nowhere close but it's still a nice read.

Clegg

Dresden said:
Your friend is probably delusional and it's nowhere close to being the greatest book ever written but it's still a nice read.
She's starting her 2nd year in University as an English major so she's been on a bit of a literary bent recently.

Its not bad though as she's been recommending a lot of good books. Though I could do without the analysis.

thomaser

MrOogieBoogie said:
Just started City of Glass:

auster.jpg

Anyone read these?

Yes, read them a while ago and enjoyed them. Well worth a read... I think. Actually, I don't remember much about any of the three stories except that they are vague and mysterious. Don't go in expecting "normal" detective novels. I should probably read them again.

ultron87

nakedsushi said:
I just plowed through the last 10% of the second Mistborn book last night:

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

I didn't like it as much as the first book, but I still found it enjoyable. Sanderson is definitely a good storyteller, but not that good fo a writer. I found some parts of the book could have been edited down (the entire siege could have been cut down a few hundred pages!) and other parts could have been more powerful in the hands of another writer. I did not enjoy the emo Vin chapters.

This feels more like a "bridging" book, which a lot of second books in a trilogy feels like. I'll probably ready the last one eventually, but I need to take a break from Vin and Elend for a while.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through this one right now. The story is mildly interesting. Honestly I'd rather
they just dispense with the siege and get on to the Deepness and the Well of Ascension and the Hero of Ages.
Because that's the part of the story that interests me the most.

thomaser

Clegg said:

No, but it's very good. And very, very depressing. "East of Eden" is much better. A big epic story reminiscent of Hamsun's "Growth of the Soil", but on the American west coast. And it has one of the scariest villains in literature.

ultron87 said:
I'm about 1/3 of the way through this one right now. The story is mildly interesting. Honestly I'd rather
they just dispense with the siege and get on to the Deepness and the Well of Ascension and the Hero of Ages.
Because that's the part of the story that interests me the most.

Honestly, you can probably stop where you're reading and pick up again 4/5th into the book. That would have saved me a lot of time.

I've just finished The Quiet American. I really loved it, it's an excellent 'shades of grey' story. It has a unique perspective of the early conflicts in Vietnam and a crushingly honest notion of a love story. Haven't seen the film.

Mumei

I finished the first book of the Dresden Files, Storm Front, last night. I'm interested in trying future books in the series, even though the first book had quite a bit that annoyed me (the general feel of low-key misogyny, the sense that Harry was a complete nerd wish-fulfillment character, the science-as-religion rhetoric, etc.). It wasn't all bad, anyway.

Today I've started reading Catherynne Valente's Palimpsest, and I'm around two-fifths of the way through it. It's great stuff so far, though I definitely like Habitation of the Blessed more at this juncture.

Edit: Nevermind; I've finished Palimpest. 'Twas lovely.

DeSo

Banned
Just finished "A Feast For Crows", about to start... yeah you know what. Heard some real negatives about AFFC but I didn't mind it. Slower, yes, but still very engaging.

Mumei

DeSo said:
Just finished "A Feast For Crows", about to start... yeah you know what. Heard some real negatives about AFFC but I didn't mind it. Slower, yes, but still very engaging.

I got annoyed sometimes by the narratives that lasted one or two chapters (or sometimes three or four, but still not very many) and got abruptly cut-off. And it seemed like there were a lot of new characters to replace the characters who didn't appear in it.

It wasn't bad for all its weaknesses, though.

I started reading the Penguin Classics edition of H.P. Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories. I still have The Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Haunter of the Dark left.

Kuraudo

Banned
Started reading From Hell today.
23529.jpg

Three chapters in and loving it.

I'm not the biggest Moore fan. Watchmen is an astonishing piece of work, but everything else of his I've read pales in comparrison - don't get me wrong, he's always good, his work just doesn't hit the same heights as Watchmen nor does it really resonate with me.

This is different though. Feels every bit as good as Watchmen so far and the artwork is absolutely incredible - wish more books looked like this.

^-- Great pick. After Watchmen, it's my favorite Alan Moore comic.

Just got done with Goliath.

Goliath by Scott Westerfeld
I was really excited to pick this up after the 2nd book, but eh...maybe I hyped it up too much for myself. Nothing was really bad about it, but it didn't really wow me either. I liked the Big Secret finally being found out by Alek. I liked the inclusion of a historical character (Tesla), and the plot was good. But I guess I wasn't in the right mood to read it.

Dresden

Finished Brasyl. It was weird. Quantum ninjas and multiverses and shit stuffed into a storyline that consisted of a 18th century tale about a Jesuit swordsman traveling into the Amazon, a '06 TV producer of reality shows competing against telenovelas, and a 2033 (occasionally) transvestite entrepreneur who falls in love with a quantum hacker.

But also pretty darn good. Not quite up there with River of Gods, though.

Fjordson

Kuraudo said:
This is different though. Feels every bit as good as Watchmen so far and the artwork is absolutely incredible - wish more books looked like this.
Awesome choice. From Hell blew my mind the first time I read it. It's a bit insane, but really, really good. I think I might actually like it more than Watchmen.

I finished the first half of the Book of the New Sun. Incredible. I was trying to tell my wife about it earlier today after she asked what was it like and I sort of found myself at a loss for words. The atmosphere and the way Wolfe tells the story is almost dreamlike at times. Really a strange book, downright cryptic at times. I couldn't stop reading, though. And the second half is already en route from Amazon. Can't wait to start it.

Unfortunately, I'll probably tear through that quickly. Not sure what I'm going to start next. Been eyeing Lies of Locke Lamora on Kindle lately. It seems like a fun book, and I have a couple of friends who reminded me of it after talking about how hyped they are for Republic of Thieves next year.

ymmv

Banned
hiryu said:
I've read Wolfe of the Steppes by Lamb and it's awesome too. It clearly influenced Howard for Conan.

Robert E. Howard wrote a number of historical adventures that are even more clearly inspired by Lamb.

51qqAHXTTrL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The immortal legacy of Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan the Cimmerian, continues with this latest compendium of Howard’s fiction and poetry. These adventures, set in medieval-era Europe and the Near East, are among the most gripping Howard ever wrote, full of pageantry, romance, and battle scenes worthy of Tolstoy himself. Most of all, they feature some of Howard’s most unusual and memorable characters, including Cormac FitzGeoffrey, a half-Irish, half-Norman man of war who follows Richard the Lion-hearted to twelfth-century Palestine—or, as it was known to the Crusaders, Outremer; Diego de Guzman, a Spaniard who visits Cairo in the guise of a Muslim on a mission of revenge; and the legendary sword woman Dark Agnès, who, faced with an arranged marriage to a brutal husband in sixteenth-century France, cuts the ceremony short with a dagger thrust and flees to forge a new identity on the battlefield.

Crusaders? Adventures in the Orient? Sounds a lot like Lamb. And when you add Howard's El Borak adventures tales about a western adventurer in Afghanistan it makes Lamb's influence even more clearly. The thing is most people never knew that side of Howard because after his death only the stories about Conan, Bran Mak Morn, Kull and Solomon Kane were widely available. Most people have no idea Howard also wrote about historical adventures, westerns and boxing stories.

survivor

Banned
Finished The Great Gatsby. Alright book. Probably a lot of literature themes and stuff flew over my head but I know one thing and that is Daisy is a little bitch.

Anyway to continue my journey of reading classic literature I started reading Life of Pi and about 100 pages into it. I was supposed to read the book in high school but my old English teacher made us read Fifth Business instead since he found Life of Pi boring. He was so wrong because the first 100 pages of Life of Pi are already more interesting than that boring trash Fifth Business.

hiryu

ymmv said:
Robert E. Howard wrote a number of historical adventures that are even more clearly inspired by Lamb.

51qqAHXTTrL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Crusaders? Adventures in the Orient? Sounds a lot like Lamb. And when you add Howard's El Borak adventures tales about a western adventurer in Afghanistan it makes Lamb's influence even more clearly. The thing is most people never knew that side of Howard because after his death only the stories about Conan, Bran Mak Morn, Kull and Solomon Kane were widely available. Most people have no idea Howard also wrote about historical adventures, westerns and boxing stories.

Wow, awesome. I will read this next. Thanks! I'm a big Conan fan but I have never heard of these stories.

Top Bottom