• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2011)

I had a few things I was starting on at the beginning of the semester (Your Inner Fish and Chomsky on Anarchism), but because school's been intense I've throttled back to something mindless and Halloween appropriate:

stephen_king_it.jpg

Mumei

I know nothing about Morrison save the titles of a few of her books and that she is acclaimed. I really should pick something up by her and read it; I think it would be one of the most unfiltered (by prior expectations / knowledge, that is) reading experiences that I've had in quite a few books.

I decided to start reading A Room with a View, and I just finished the first half. It's not very long (~190 pages, excluding the endnotes), so I'll finish tonight.

Edit: Don't want to double post, but I finished the above novel last night. I liked it, but I can't see myself rereading it. I'm going to start Lolita today.

Kuraudo

Banned
fromhell_cover_lg.jpg

Finished reading From Hell. What an amazing book. Definitely more than the sum of its already amazing parts. It's just so layered and the amount of research provides for an incredible versimilitude, making it all seem terrifyingly plausible. Art was incredible too - really sombre and beautifully detailed. Feels like two really talented guys at the top of their game just getting together to make the best possible comic they can.

Probably my favourite Alan Moore book and definitely in my top five comics.

I also reread Nineteen Eighty-Four and read Much Ado About Nothing. I feel kind of silly reviewing either of them lol. The latter was due to recently seeing it at the Globe which was awesome, book really brought back the experience.

inherent-vice_cover-final.jpg

I'm now reading Inherent Vice. I've been wanting to read Pynchon for a while and was told this was a good entry level book. Only a couple of chapters in but liking it so far.

Edit:

I always forget nonfiction. Also read An Intoduction to Buddhism.

Big_ITB-198x300.jpg

The author's goal seems to be to lay down the basics of his belief without trying to convert the reader. As such it's a great concise guide to Buddhism, but it also comes across as a little dogmatic and there are a lot of concepts laid down as fact that aren't really explored. "Quick and dirty" seems to sum it up well.

charsace

oflg.jpg

Paksenarrion series is just as good as the Game of Thrones series, but for some reason it isn't as popular. Elizabeth Moon is great at building worlds and pacing a story.

I feel that her works should be more popular than they are. Oh well.

Doopliss

FnordChan said:
I love the half-dozen or so of Le Carre's novels that I've read, but I'm not sure how best I can pitch them to you. His writing style conveys a lot of detail that beautifully describes the contemporary settings his novels take place in, combining a sense of melancholy about the Cold War (and the post-Cold War world) with enough humor to keep things from being too gloomy. His characters are compelling and complex, with their emotions in conflict with the secret lives they lead. I like to think that Le Carre's spy stories are probably very realistic, depicting tradecraft accurately and giving just as much emphasis to the bureaucratic wrangling behind the scenes as he does any action out in the field. What it boils down to is that Le Carre just writes damn fine novels.

If you're sold, I'd suggest starting with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

FnordChan
Great description. But I would suggest starting with A Call for the Dead and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold as they're easier books than Tinker Tailor (mainly thanks to their short lengths, rather than being a great deal less complex), and I think the former provides a better introduction to George Smiley and some of the other recurring characters.

Burger

51VXOAfjy3L._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Had to give up on this half way through. It's cliched, boring and just terrible. I know some people here enjoyed it... I tried my best but this book sucks.

Might give this Mistborn series a whirl.

Mumei

Kuraudo said:

I'm now reading Inherent Vice. I've been wanting to read Pynchon for a while and was told this was a good entry level book. Only a couple of chapters in but liking it so far.

This might be a good place for me to start. I am interested in reading his books, but I don't want to simply jump into Gravity's Rainbow.

I finished Lolita, which was a wonderfully unsettling (and occasionally quite funny) read, though it honestly didn't make me quite so viscerally uncomfortable as The Killer Inside Me did. I think it's just that one narrator seemed so much more profoundly disturbed than the other and it's even less pleasant being in the psychopath's head than in the pedophile's. I read the Everyman's Library edition, but when I reread I think I'll try to read the Vintage Classics' edition with annotations.

I read The Little Prince, both the Katherine Woods and Richard Howard translations. I had read beforehand about which translation to read, and most every review seemed to prefer the Woods translation... but my library had both and since it is such a short read I got both. I also preferred the Woods translation, though the changes Howard made didn't ruin my enjoyment of it by any means.

Not sure what comes next. I have The Good Soldier Svejk, but I'm just not feeling like reading it at the moment.

Karakand

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Propaganda aside (propaganda that I mostly agree with, mind), The Jungle is a pretty darn good book in its own right, with some really effective dramatic moments.
Good prose, bad propaganda (in that it generally ascribes moral failings to capitalism, not structural ones--Jorge becoming a scab is really the only thing I can think of that could fall into the latter). It's no wonder that it was largely unsuccesful in its mission. (Thanks for the FDA though.)

Mumei said:
Not sure what comes next. I have The Good Soldier Svejk, but I'm just not feeling like reading it at the moment.
If I told you it was full of filler would that sway your opinion? ;)

Woorloog

Banned
Finished The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Good stuff, should've finished it earlier. I read only two books (a year+ ago), decided i didn't like the end of the second one and didn't get the third... until a couple of weeks back (read the first two books again of course).
Interesting world, interesting characters though Prince Regal is a tad one dimensional and FitzChivalry (the protagonist and narrator) is rather whiny at times.
Absolutely recommended fantasy.

Also, reading The Black Company chronicles by Glen Cook at the moment. No opinion yet, though the writing style is different from anything i've read before. Not sure if i like it or not...

And read Peter F. Hamilton's newest short story collection Manhattan in Reverse. I normally don't care about short stories but i liked the first one in the collection, Watching Trees Grow, and the ones about Commonwealth Saga character Paula Myo.
I wonder what his next book is going to be...

You should totally read Gravity's Rainbow next. ;)

Fjordson

Burger said:
Had to give up on this half way through. It's cliched, boring and just terrible. I know some people here enjoyed it... I tried my best but this book sucks.

Might give this Mistborn series a whirl.
Damn. I'm enjoying the hell out of Retribution Falls. Tearing through it at the moment and I already have the second book waiting on my Kindle.

On the other hand, I couldn't finish the first Mistborn novel out of general distaste for Sanderson's writing style, so what do I know.

Just finished A Storm of Swords and loved it! I am going to give the series a rest, book 6 is no where in sight.

Going to start Salem's Lot tomorrow.

Finally finished Lord Foul's Bane. Thought it was decent, though some of the writing is weak. Donaldson overuses the word "seemed" so much that it was distracting.

Nevertheless, I started into The Illearth War, the next book in the series.

UraMallas

I want some opinions on The Hunger Games series. A girl recommended them to me and she said that they are at somewhat of a lower reading level but they are good none the less. Is this true?

_Isaac

UraMallas said:
I want some opinions on The Hunger Games series. A girl recommended them to me and she said that they are at somewhat of a lower reading level but they are good none the less. Is this true?

Yes. I've only read the first book though. It's a quick and easy read and a fun adventure, so even if it's not your cup of tea, it wasn't a big time sink.

Pau

UraMallas said:
I've only read the first, which is a fast and entertaining enough read. However, I hear from a lot of people that the quality goes down in the last two, especially the quality of the prose, so maybe you don't want to pick them all up at once. But yeah, pick up the first one and see if you like it. It's obviously aimed at a teenage audience, but a cool concept nonetheless.

6rSD8.jpg

I have midterms this week so I have to put this to the side, even though I got a signed copy in what I hope is not Sir Terry's last tour in the United States. (They gave us bookplates since he can't sign it in person on account of the Alzheimer's.) Still can't believe I got to meet my favorite author ever since I was eleven. That and he hit on me, which was... weird but appropriately hilarious. For all the shit he must be going through, he's still such an upbeat and funny person. I'm going to miss you Sir Terry. :(

Mumei

_Isaac said:
Yes. I've only read the first book though. It's a quick and easy read and a fun adventure, so even if it's not your cup of tea, it wasn't a big time sink.

Good to hear. I saw it at the grocery store for $6 in that dinky little books section they have, so I got it on a whim.

Cyan said:
Finished the book club book, Blood Meridian.

Can't quite capture what I think of it. It's an amazingly written book, from a stylistic/poetry perspective. But that same style and poetry occasionally made it a chore to get through. Plus, I constantly felt like there were endless layers of symbolism I was missing. Ay. I dunno.

That feeling that I'm missing out on endless layers of symbolism always bothers me, so I end up reading stuff afterwards trying to figure out if whatever I thought I comprehended was actually, you know, there.

Also: If on a winter's night a traveler for November!

... Though I imagine there might be a good argument for 1Q84? I don't know.

Kola

mac said:
I've begun A Handmaid's Tale and once completed I'll have read all major pieces of dystopian/apocalyptic fiction.

Do you know how much dystopian literature is out there? Which ones do you consider as "major pieces"?

Kola

Just finished "The Name of the Rose" (Il nome della rosa). Eco's works are so sophisticated and intelligent, it puts most other authors works to shame. He is really giving his life blood when he writes a book. Yesterday, after finishing the book, I once again felt totally "empty", it was kinda sad to finish the book and to never hear again about William and Adson.

In some way Eco reminds me of Thomas Mann, another powerful writer who always puts in so much effort into his works, it sometimes seems a bit over the top, as if they want to prove something.

I think I will continue right with "Foucault's Pendulum" (Il pendolo di Foucault). Anyone know if it lives up to other works of his?

Doopliss

UraMallas said:
I thought it was quite bad. Despite being about kids fighting to the death there was not a single awkward ethical decision for the main character to make. The plot had no surprises, and worse than that, halfway through the book it's made abundantly clear exactly what the result of the competition is going to be. Add in the contrivance of providence gifts from outside the arena and you're not exactly feeling the tension.

On the plus side, the kindle edition I read had unusually few spelling and formatting errors. Good on them for that.

FnordChan

51H3gJdaqsL.jpg

I just finished Jo Walton's Among Others and I thought it was absolutely wonderful. As I mentioned earlier, it's about a precocious 15 year old girl who, recovering from recent and lingering trauma, has been shipped off to a boarding school where she does not fit in. It's an epistolary novel structured as our heroine Mori's diary, where she offers disparaging commentary about the school, steady revelations about exactly what happened to her, and matter-of-fact descriptions of magic and fairies that you're not sure whether or not to take at face value.

However, the real heart of Among Others is in it's depiction of a young woman who loves SF and fantasy. The novel is set in 1979 and has Mori voraciously reading period authors like Silverberg, Delaney, Zelazny, Le Guin, and Heinlein, as well as earlier authors like her beloved Tolkien. Over the course of the novel Mori discovers new authors to read (with specific descriptions of the titles she's reading at any given time), learns about the wonders of the interlibrary loan system and, eventually, meets a SF book group and other fans. While Mori has challenges to overcome and there is a loose plot happening in the background, that's all somewhat secondary; Among Others is a really novel about the love of reading.

It's also a semi-autobiographical novel. Mori is the same age Jo Walton was in 1979, she's reading the same books Walton was reading at the time, they're both from Wales and share the same love for the landscape there, and so forth. When Walton conveys the fierce joy at discovering new novels, new authors, and, especially, others to share this joy with, she does so in a very personal, detailed way. A lot of this resonated strongly with me, as I recalled reading the SF selection in my small hometown library and discovering the SF club when I first got to college. I was only a year or two older than Mori when I first read Zelazny's Amber novels, and I remember being equally blown away by them. Among Others captures the feeling of discovery from a time when detailed bibliographies and use recommendations weren't readily available online, when tracking down an out of print book was a serious challenge, and when you largely had to find and meet other SF fans in person.

I'm not saying Among Others is going to be for everyone. I've seen reviews where people are baffled at what the fuss is all about and I wouldn't argue very strongly with criticisms that there isn't a lot of plot for Walton to hang her biography onto. Still, I loved it and strongly identified with the coming of age aspects of the novel which, as Walton says, is not for fifteen year olds so much as for people who were once fifteen. If anything I've mentioned reminds you of your childhood, I'd strongly recommend checking it out. For anyone who's curious, there's an excerpt available online that gives a solid idea of what the book is like.

e437319f8da03a731a3d6110.L.jpg

While Mori didn't namecheck C.J. Cherryh, Downbelow Station was published in 1981 just after the events of Among Others, so when I found myself looking for the next book to read last night I was inspired to pick this up off the shelf and give it another go. I bounced off Downbelow Station many years ago, but hopefully this time I'll be more into it.

FnordChan

aerts1js

A girl also recommended me this series and I read them a couple months back. They are okay, not nearly as good as my friend let them on to be. In fact, I'd say the whole story was pretty average. (some aspects below while others slightly above)

As much as fans of the series protest against, it really felt like twlight-lite in way too many areas.

AngmarsKing701 said:
Finally finished Lord Foul's Bane. Thought it was decent, though some of the writing is weak. Donaldson overuses the word "seemed" so much that it was distracting.

Nevertheless, I started into The Illearth War, the next book in the series.

Also, Robert B Parker's last Spenser novel, Sixkill, just came in for me at the library. So I'll polish that off in a couple days, then return to Donaldson.

Mumei

Karakand said:
Good prose, bad propaganda (in that it generally ascribes moral failings to capitalism, not structural ones--Jorge becoming a scab is really the only thing I can think of that could fall into the latter). It's no wonder that it was largely unsuccesful in its mission. (Thanks for the FDA though.)

If I told you it was full of filler would that sway your opinion? ;)

Not particularly!

I ended up starting it last night; I'm almost through part 1.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
FINALLY finished Dancing in the Glory of Monsters (although I'm probably going to continue reading up a bit on the subject). Gonna start this tonight, which I expect to finish in the next few days:

qsS5O.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The-Alloy-of-Law-by-brandon-sanderson-colour.jpeg

Finished Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law a little while ago. Finally posted my review.

The Alloy of Law is one of the finest Fantasy novels of the year. For fans of Sanderson, or neophytes just discovering his work, it’s an enjoyable adventure with wonderful characters, a unique, believable setting and all the hallmarks that make Sanderson one of the genre’s most exciting young writers. It was wonderful to return to the world of Scadrial and I just hope that Sanderson’s work on The Wheel of Time and The Stormlight Archives doesn’t slow down the publication of future Mistborn novels. The Alloy of Law is the best Mistborn novel since the first volume and comes with my highest recommendation.

Now reading The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht. Wonderful, so far.

aidan said:
Finished Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law a little while ago. Finally posted my review.

Now reading The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht. Wonderful, so far.

I just read your review and it convinced me to skip the last book and just move on to this. There are so many great books I want to read this year, I can't waste my time on another huge book that doesn't start till 3/4 of the way in, which is what I felt with the 2nd Mistborn Book.

About Tiger's Wife: it's been getting lots of good reviews, but even though I'm mildly curious, not sure if I'll read it. How do you feel about magical realism? For some reason, even though I read fantasy and some pretty out there UF or Paranormal stuff, I can't deal with magical realism.

coldvein

Banned
finally finished THE MAGUS by John Fowles. What a trippy mindfucking beautiful tragic hopeful EPIC. Everybody, everybody should read it. A few small gripes.. it makes TONS of references to authors and literature that i'm not familiar with. it also references alot of mythology, some of which i know, some of which i don't. there is also a fair amount of french and latin dropped throughout the book, some of which i understand, most of which i don't. story dragged a little tiny bit in the middle but overall it was totally engrossing. after certain sessions of reading the magus i'd want to go out into the concrete real world because the world of the magus is so strange and surreal.

one more thing: the last line of the book is in latin. it goes
cras amet qui numquam amavit quique qmavit cras amet
. google translate is telling me that in english it means
tomorrow, who never had loved and who loved tomorrow
which doesn't make a TON of sense to me, but again much of this book didn't make a ton of sense to me. is that an accurate translation, latin-heads?

Woorloog

Banned
nakedsushi said:
I just read your review and it convinced me to skip the last book and just move on to this. There are so many great books I want to read this year, I can't waste my time on another huge book that doesn't start till 3/4 of the way in, which is what I felt with the 2nd Mistborn Book.
Alloy of Law is set some 300years after the Hero of Ages so you might want to read THoA... It is better than the second book (the second book is, IMO, Sanderson's weakest book).

Salazar

nakedsushi said:
Another GAF-suggested winner:

0znKV.jpg

John Banville's The Untouchable is magnificent if you're in for another one. It's a spy novel at a remove, really - slightly like The Human Factor. It helps to know the basic details of the Cambridge spy ring, but a skim of Wikipedia would do the trick.

thomaser

coldvein said:
finally finished THE MAGUS by John Fowles.

Cannot help you with the Latin, but I agree that this is a great book that should be read much more widely than it is! I really want to read more like it, but have no idea how to search or even if something like it exists. Murakami might come close in some ways... reality versus unreality, questions of identity and self, strange, convoluted mysteries, and so on. Still, The Magus is unlike anything else I have read.

Mumei

I finished The Good Soldier Svejk yesterday. While there were some very funny bits, it dragged a lot. After that I read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship Of Her Own Making, which was wonderful. I also got the sequel to The Habitation of the Blessed, The Folded World so I can read another book of Valente's soon. She really doesn't get enough attention here.

And I'm currently reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.

coldvein

Banned
thomaser said:
Cannot help you with the Latin, but I agree that this is a great book that should be read much more widely than it is! I really want to read more like it, but have no idea how to search or even if something like it exists. Murakami might come close in some ways... reality versus unreality, questions of identity and self, strange, convoluted mysteries, and so on. Still, The Magus is unlike anything else I have read.

agreed, more people should read it. most people i've mentioned it to haven't heard of it. i think it might be in my top 10 all time.

Top Bottom