• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westwood's Blade Runner Now on GoG!!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I assume it uses ScummVM by default given its recently added (and somewhat hyped) support for BR?

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, that's a pretty huge win for them. No interest in PnC games, myself, but it's still cool to see that one finally get revived.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You beat me to it. HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS! Instabuy. One of the all-time greatest games ever fucking made.

Played this earlier in the year w/ one of the win10 fan patches and it's a really good game. Iirc correctly there's over 10 endings depending on the choices you make. Some of those choices are subtle like neglecting to upload potentially self incriminating evidence to the BR database. Others are big like intentionally rigging the Voit-Kampf tests and retiring humans. It's kinda cool how committed they were to the realism of it. You have to figure out a lot of this stuff for yourself which is why I feel that Blade Runner really shines upon multiple playthroughs. If you're new be sure to read the manual before playing just to get the basics.

Also, man the environment art just kicks ass. If you're a fan of that 90's pre-rendered 3D style then this is some of the best available.

Once I played the game it really hit me how influential Blade Runner was on modern adventure games. There are no conventional inventory style puzzles & instead it's a about piecing together all the clues, finding out who is a replicant and deciding who's side you're on. A lot of fun, for sure.

This is a cool video about Blade Runner's development (with some mild spoilers):

Last edited:
I remember the first PC I got back in '98 came with a boatload of software and games. Among them, the original Fallout and this magnificent spectacle of a game.

What an intro to PC gaming. Whew.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So....is there now a way to get this onto a Pi?

I need it. I need it bad.

In short, probably not. This release allows running on Linux of course and I think if using ScummVM it might even work on non x86 architectures, but I doubt the pi has enough grunt to do the job. I could be wrong of course but that's my gut feeling.

ranmafan

Fantastic news, and for Mac too! Absolutely will be picking this us soon. Been wanting to replay this for a long time!

ROMhack

Ooo that is interesting. It's been in limbo for ages owing to what I presume is licensing issues.

Ars Technica did an interesting feature on it a while back.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit! I loved this game as a kid, but never managed to finish it.

channie

I assume it uses ScummVM by default given its recently added (and somewhat hyped) support for BR?

Yes it runs under ScummVM

drganon

Nice. Even my worthless toaster of a PC should be able to handle this. I remember seeing a boxed version of this some 20 years ago in a store. I'm pretty sure it was before I even knew the movie existed.

00_Zer0

Thanks OP! I have been debating on whether to get a physical copy of this on eBay. Now that debate is over and I will be heading to GoG soon to purchase this classic masterpiece.

It still looks fantastic today.

Would love a widescreen 'remaster'.

Unfortunately EA lost the master code & assets for the game so any enhanced edition/remaster effort would basically have to be done from scratch. But it'd be so cool if someone did it. A remaster with a good ass commentary track would be amazing for Blade Runner because it's got such an interesting development history.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately EA lost the master code & assets for the game so any enhanced edition/remaster effort would basically have to be done from scratch. But it'd be so cool if someone did it. A remaster with a good ass commentary track would be amazing for Blade Runner because it's got such an interesting development history.
True but the risk of it getting tweaked is pretty big - the Lucy storyline springs to mind.

Solomeena

Banned
If you consider yourself someone who enjoys classic games, get this fucking now. I remember buying this when it first came out 3 centuries ago as a young lad, it was a great fucking game and the graphics back then we're killer .

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Bladerunner is the first game that made me care about the characters.

Dazrael

I remember having this back in the day and installing it on my PC hard drive. It took up the entire HD! That’s how awesome it was.

To think I used to own this game and later selling it because I didn't even take effort to try it out properly. One of the many questionable things I did.

RAIDEN1

Bit of a minor miracle to see this game, on GOG, seeing as the original "source code"/original code for the game is lost....hence why we never got a HD-remake, or potentially any DLC to it, I tried the game few years back, great atmosphere but just couldn't quite get into it, as much as say a Monkey Island for example...

Last edited:

sol_bad

HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just insta bought the shit out of this game.
I've never played it. I'm going to play it straight after Fallen Order.

*EDIT*
And just randomly throwing this out there, Hellblade is on sale on GoG/Steam at 66% off. I think it's a historically low price.

Last edited:
Did another run today & got a new ending. It's pretty nuts how many of the different endings I've gotten are still satisfying. Typically in games with multiple endings there's the one actually good one and a bunch of far less satisfying or blatantly "bad" ends. But I'm on my 4th with Blade Runner and they've all been cool so far.

Does anyone know if the difficulty settings change anything plot wise or is it just the shooting?

I still own two copies of the original game, but this is one of the best Adventure games ever made and everyone should play this game at least twice (sincerely different plots and endings.)

Top Bottom