• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need bunnyhopping back in games

Kuranghi

I've been playing games since 1992 and I still don't really understand it haha. Cheers for the video in that regard.

I'm enjoying using cunt a lot today.

Enjoy this video you cunts.

edit - why don't you guys write the word out? Is it that offensive where you are that its equal to a racial slur you can't even type? We call each other cunts jovially in Scotland lol. Lets be clear though, I don't mean we use it in polite conversation ha.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Quake 2 had the double "leaning" jump and the circle strafe jumping.
What you could do in Q2DM1 when you mastered those was INSANE. I'm still not sure if it was pure, real, absolute design genius like we've never seen again, or just a giant stroke of luck - a fortuitous perfect storm.

And I want those back.

Halycon days of Team Fortress Classic playing as The Spy. ♥♥

But just as important was wall crawling. Where inertial movement against walls gave you a frictionless advantage. 🤔😁😁🤪

Last edited:

Calverz

Isnt this the thing quake champions took as a legit mechanic to increase speed? But ended ip creating a huge skill gap with players when the rest of the game has mechanics to try and help casual players?

Calverz

Fucking scrubs ruining everything.
Its just funny because a lot of the design of that game tries hard to make it more inclusive to casuals but then they implement this hardcore skill that then creates a really high skill ceiling and the matches then become a case of thos who can and cannot. Perhaps this is why it died. Dont get me wrong i like quake.

Came here expecting this.

3sT991P.jpg

PresetError

Neophyte
I noticed that bunnyhoppers try to bunnyhop in every single game they play. Even when it's totally unnecessary or even counter productive. It's some kind of OCD thing. I don't condone it.

It's not popular in single player games because you only bunnyhop for two reasons:

1) Trying to rush or speedrun a game when most single player games want you to explore and lose yourself in the environments they worked hard to design.

2) Artificially further gamefy the game mechanics when most single player games shoot for realism and immersion.

Naked Lunch

Bunny hopping in TFC and Quake 3.
I was never not pressing right click to jump.

Crazy how dumbed down games are these days - multiplayer especially. I mean look at the popular offerings of today. Fortnite, Doody, Overwatch - all utter shit.

Play Black Ops Cold War.

It’s like a fucking Easter bunny convention with all the bunny hopping.
COD should make the entire character model the head hitbox when a player jumps.

With games like Quake back in the day it wasn't as big of a deal because there was one single hitbox, so even if you shoot the legs or feet you still did normal damage. COD though you end up doing piss damage because your upper torso shots become leg shots.

Zannegan

COD should make the entire character model the head hitbox when a player jumps.
You may jest, but this would make for an interesing risk/reward system, and this is coming from a guy who enjoys an occasional jetpacks-n-wall running series entry. You could also have people suffer knockback when hit midair and land in prone with stun grenade vision for a second or two.

I'd like to see something similar happen with "dolphin diving"--clear vision all the way down but a half second of stun once you hit the dirt. That's more for the sake of immersion than mechanics though.

Want bunny hopping? Here you go...

To us it's cute. To them, it's Lugaru.

Last edited:
Top Bottom