• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WBUR: "video game culture has become infested with white supremacists" (Apparently)

"infested" may be a bit of a stretch, but the general premise of the article is, unfortunately, not wrong.
I do have my doubts about how many people, proportionally, are actually like this, but its extremely hard to not notice them. Every other match I play in World of Tanks, for example, has at least one person delving into a racist diatribe about Mexicans and south Americans and how they're ruining the game.

Granted that might be a bit self-selecting since military-themed games like that MAY be disproportionally drawing people in like that, especially Wehrmacht fanboys who obsess over their tigers and panthers.

Its also telling that the majority of responses in this thread fall along the lines of "lol its the internet" and "kids will be kids"; which basically concedes to the article's main point and proves them right. I'm also willing to bet that *most* of the people posting "its just mean words on the internet, grow up and get over it" have never had to deal with this kind of shit in real life too.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I've never heard of wbur and everyone is a white supremacist these days who doesn't strictly adhere to the far left. Everyone.

Idiots have been in online games forever though. Anonymity is a hell of a shield for immature shit heels.

spawn

Online gaming has always been like that even before Trump. Remember Call of Duty modern warfare 2 lobbies? Game companies cannot control what some 13 year old kids are saying on the mic so you're going to have to get some thick skin

SaucyJack

"infested" may be a bit of a stretch, but the general premise of the article is, unfortunately, not wrong.
I do have my doubts about how many people, proportionally, are actually like this, but its extremely hard to not notice them. Every other match I play in World of Tanks, for example, has at least one person delving into a racist diatribe about Mexicans and south Americans and how they're ruining the game.

Granted that might be a bit self-selecting since military-themed games like that MAY be disproportionally drawing people in like that, especially Wehrmacht fanboys who obsess over their tigers and panthers.

I don’t think the general premise of the article is correct at all. It extensively deploys one of the “progressives” weapons of choice - changing definitions to suit their narrative. Not everyone that blurts out a racial slur in a MP game is a White supremacist.

I don’t think the general premise of the article is correct at all. It extensively deploys one of the “progressives” weapons of choice - changing definitions to suit their narrative. Not everyone that blurts out a racial slur in a MP game is a White supremacist.

A distinction without a difference. What functional difference is there between a racist spewing racist shit and a troll in chat spewing the same racist shit? The person on the other end may as well be an alien or a sentient lobster for all it matters. All the same, even if only half of the people going into diatribes about Jews, black people and gays are actually sincere about it, that's still a LOT of people.

A distinction without a difference. What functional difference is there between a racist spewing racist shit and a troll in chat spewing the same racist shit? The person on the other end may as well be an alien or a sentient lobster for all it matters. All the same, even if only half of the people going into diatribes about Jews, black people and gays are actually sincere about it, that's still a LOT of people.

Intent. For someone who pondered if some of us had actually been called these mean words, you sure don't act like you have. It's pretty clear when being called a racial slur what the person's intent is. Are they just trying to piss me off (99% of the time) or are they genuinely hating me for being a minority. Most these people are just trying to push your buttons and use the easiest insults they can find to get a reaction, especially if it's a competitive game.

SaucyJack

I think there’s a world of difference between a white supremacy and your average racist fuckwit.

ruvikx

Banned
We get it, the media sucks. When are the media and politicians going to stop attacking gaming?

These creatures (extremist white hating journalists indoctrinated in their Bolshevik/Cultural Marxist universities) could walk into a bakery & upon seeing five white people working there, they'd scream "this bread is white supremacist!".

They're a mixture of insanity, imbecility & malicious intent disguised as morality. They won't be happy until all white people have no nations & are exterminated.

Ten_Fold

Gaming online has been this way for a while, little white teens or whatever saying basically the worst kinda stuff, I do think we need to fix it not sure how though.

Yeah, the SJW crowd are the ones being racists, at least if you judge by the outcomes:

1 - They're against multi-ethnic friendship and couples (N-Y times has many articles about it)
2 - They are against free cultural exchanges (they will pick your brain to know if you sang that traditional native song with enough respect) - unless the other person is not of European descent (I mean, a whiter than white one) - in effect forcing people to adopt the American/European dominant culture to fit in, all the while they trash occidental culture
3 - When they have events they will segregate people according to their race/gender (this has been going on since at least Occupy Wall Street) in the guise of "safe spaces"

This is all well and good, I mean, they push for these outcomes under the guise of what looks like good intentions, who would be for cultural appropriation? Racism? Segregation? These are all bad things, and they will shame you for it... Oh they meant the barely existing extreme right groups? Those who are so weak and irrelevant that every time they create a rally there is at least 10 to 20 times MORE people in the spontaneous counter rally? There are so little of those that they have to attack right wing groups run, and populated, by people from all origins (the guy who runs the Proud Boys is a Latino, the group has members from many different ethnic backgrounds... we sure don't have the white supremacists we had).

Now, there are plenty of racist people, some are really hateful, but I seriously doubt they are taking over, especially not gaming.

I mean, I write this and sometimes I wonder why the Onion even exists anymore, how can you parody such an ideology?

ruvikx

Banned
Gaming online has been this way for a while, little white teens or whatever saying basically the worst kinda stuff, I do think we need to fix it not sure how though.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? These so-called "white teens" are provoked 24/7 by militant agitators who've made it their life goal to sh*t all over white people. Every time we open a "mainstream" website or newspaper, we witness articles which dehumanize & demonize whites. It's relentless. On almost every topic & in every facet of life. Back in the real world, video games were pioneered by & tailored for white people/Japanese people for decades. That's a fact. Deal with it. "Inclusion" & diversity isn't a one way street, it requires mutual respect. That respect is currently not on the media table.

People at a local & personal level might get along regardless of race, creed or gender, but the media agitators are on a different level: they're militant race warriors (borderline pyromaniacs) with a sickly anti-white bias.

juliotendo

I’ve been playing online video games since the year 2002. That’s 17 years of online gaming and exposure.

I’ve heard the words “nigger”, “faggot”, and “I fucked your mom”, etc 10000x of times but to be honest that is to be expected when the majority of people I hear screaming on the headset are 13 year olds with their mother yelling at them in the background to get off the Xbox.

Does this mean online gaming is full of white supremacy? No, it’s just full of annoying and stupid children.

Its also telling that the majority of responses in this thread fall along the lines of "lol its the internet" and "kids will be kids"; which basically concedes to the article's main point and proves them right. I'm also willing to bet that *most* of the people posting "its just mean words on the internet, grow up and get over it" have never had to deal with this kind of shit in real life too.

I wonder if you've ever been to a live sports match and listened to the stuff the crowds shout at the referees, players of different nationalities or whoever else. This is tribal behaviour to "release steam",so to speak. If we were to judge by what people say in a heated-up or stressful situation we would make a wrong impression of most of them.

The same applies to online gaming, with the addition that many gamers are harmless nerds who are bullied or laughed at by the big boys at school. We have been called all sort of names by a bunch of different people, from geeks to no-lifers and now , "white supremacists"

The reactions of this thread just show how fedup we are with entitled assholes who want their moment of glory in the media by attacking videogames and gamers alike.

Now that you mentioned Mexico or South-Americans. I am spanish and every year in the Hispanity Day I have to read or hear an incommesurable amount of crap on us "evil conquerors". Do you know any group or collective that has not been insulted by others? Anyone? NO, it doesnt exist. Because looking down on others is HUMAN NATURE. It has nothing to do with gaming culture, white supremacy or whatever straw man you like.

By the way, the first ones to do it, of course, are the keepers of the high morality, like this woman in the article.

Vbrasa

10 years ago I'd hear people screaming nigger and faggot into the mic daily. Now people rarely use mics anymore. Last week when I played CoD people were literally arguing about politics. Barely ever hear people in Fortnite spout garbage either. And you don't need to be a white supremacist to call somebody online a nigger. That's stupid logic.

That's not what I said, but white supremacists do spout that same language. This sort of language makes white supremacists think it's perfectly okay to be toxic, this in the end creates a toxic environment. Defending someone for toxic behaviour is also toxic behaviour.

Singular7

I do not agree.
Free speech must be upheld.
Every one must be able to speak their mind, even if you do not agree.

Why?

Wouldn't it be better for a central authority representing the people to stop people from harming the group by their ideas? (Stalin's argument)

The label "white supremacist" is often grossly misused to silence someone with a disagreeing viewpoint who happens to be white. We see this happen in the news so much it has completely diluted when the actual definition of a white supremacist does pop their head up. When you cry wolf--or overuse a phrase--too many times it loses all meaning and no one pays attention.

If someone, somewhere, in some online game chat lobby or match makes some outrageous comment like "Hitler was right!" or "It's all the Jews fault!" or "White power!" or some other such egregious nonsense, more often than not its less about espousing white supremacist views and more about trying to get some kind of attention, or thinking they are somehow being amusing. Given the rather woke state of the entertainment industry, the very idea that gaming is "infested with white supremacists" is a farce at best. As it is, when I play most games, I always wait for the inevitable far left wing agenda moment to pop up.

petran79

Banned
How do you guys think the person that wrote that article feels about Jax
A 100% American badass turned woke and going back in time to only freeing the black slaves?
Because paradoxes don't exist!

Imagine if Jax had told instead that current African governments are corrupt, causing massive influx of refugees and letting their people live in poverty, oppression and famine, while bowing to their IMF white masters and selling their land and wealth.

It would be too much to handle, even for RE and their friends at Sony

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine if Jax had told instead that current African governments are corrupt, causing massive influx of refugees and letting their people live in poverty, oppression and famine, while bowing to their IMF white masters and selling their land and wealth.

It would be too much to handle, even for RE and their friends at Sony
It would just as stupid as the current ending. If my kid self would have seen the ending I would have been really confused. Why couldn't we just have him rip the bad guys in two behind an American flag or something? Even by fighting game standards the endings are hilariously bad for MK but that is just one of many things wrong with the game. Hell at least character got an ending. Also remember 20 years ago when we got cgi endings for our fighting games?

Dunki

I do not agree.
I agree but their voices should not be worth more than a regular person.

Which means getting rid of metacritic for once. Getting rid of scores. So they can not influence the industry in this fashion anymore

Also they need to hold accountable for straight out lies in their reviews

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
there's probably a good argument to be made that online trash talk is a pressure valve for 'white supremacy', and in fact assists in deflating numbers, not inflating

of course, either convo would require extensive testing and not making up and abusing definitions

Last edited:
I do not agree.

On this I can agree. The solution is more voices, not less. The Battlefield of Ideas is what advances us as a species, even if, at times, the "wrong" voices win out.

Even the most hate filled voices have a right to speak. Our responsibility is not to censor. Our responsibility is to diminish the hate speech not by the rule of law, but by speech that counters it, by adding many voices of love.

VertigoOA

Banned
“Games culture infiltrated by white supremcasits”

Followed by:

“Entertainment journalism further exposed as complete fraud. Dozens of transgender students look for new career choice after back up choice of learning being a Pokémon trainer discovered as not possible in today’s patriarchy”.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
if gamers are white supremacists, aren't games journalists white supremacists?

help me out here, adjacent truthers

Boss Mog

Funny how I've been playing all sorts of online games for 15 years and I've never once came across any of these white supremacists, never any sexual harassers of female players either. I guess I'm just really lucky right?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Funny how I've been playing all sorts of online games for 15 years and I've never once came across any of these white supremacists, never any sexual harassers of female players either. I guess I'm just really lucky right?
Heh, I'd honestly say so.
I've seen that sort of stuff too many times to count

Hissing Sid

It’s gotten so bad lately that last week when I opened my brand new copy of Resident Evil 4 HD, three white supremacists fell out of the case and started breaking shit up and swearing at me because of my tan!

Luckily the wife was home from work so she was able to chase them out the back door with the kitchen mop. They’re still out there now camping on my lawn singing ‘Horst Wessel’ and wolf whistling at the next door neighbours daughter.

Problem with white supremacists is that once you’ve got em you can’t cant get rid of em! Might have to put down poison.

Top Bottom