• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wayforward revives canceled 2002 Shantae title for release on Game Boy Advance.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution

Anyone who was a fan of the first title when it came out probably remembers seeing screenshots of the GBA sequel in various magazines. But sadly, the game couldn't secure a publishing deal and it went unfinished for 20 years.

Similar to last year's Clockwork Aquario, this is an effort to complete the unfinished game on original hardware and release it via emulation. But unlike Clockwork Aquario, this one seems to be releasing on original hardware as well, in the form of an actual GBA cart.

I was always really interested in this title, and interestingly it seems to be canon even though it was canceled and may fill in some story gaps.

Last edited:

cireza

Awesome. I love stuff like this. And on original GBA cartridge, is that even possible, who manufacture those now?
Of course it is possible. Master System, NES, MegaDrive, Game Gear etc... pretty much any system you want, have new physical games.

Good on them to actually dive into a REAL retro game, working on the original hardware. And not making a modern console only release by picking whatever constraint seems convenient enough for them.

When you make a proper retro game, to release on modern consoles, you simply have to make a good quality emulator with the right options. This works just fine.

Last edited:

Holammer

Legit more interested in this one than the recent games, I can't stand the clean vectors. It does not need to be pixel art, but it needs some texture.

Ulysses 31

Awesome. I love stuff like this. And on original GBA cartridge, is that even possible, who manufacture those now?
Ebay is full of replica's. Obviously it's still possible to make the cartridges and circuitry to be played on original hardware.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They can put the hardware pieces together, or just buy a empty ROM cartdrige, put the ROM from a PC and there you go. Anyone can do

There's a few companies that do that, and one notorious for a lot of consoles, high prices and not so good in quality is https://limitedrungames.com/

Banned
2794a25ab32e095afbeb274bcd351ae6.gif

Xellos

These Shantae games are always pretty good. Hopefully they zazz up the inevitable console releases with high-resolution character portraits and better-than-GBA quality audio. Every time I boot up GBA on NSO I think my speakers die a little.

Seeing this come to a real release is cool, not entirely sure I trust WayForward with handling the Clock Tower localization. Their "California Does Anime" art style doesn't really fit the tone and atmosphere of the original SNES game, IMO

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
No way, this is so cool! I honestly wish more established developers would make new games for retro systems. It honestly seems like kind of an untapped market. But I’m also biased.

CamHostage

This was a great period for WayForward, their GBC and GBA games were amazing. (They still do good stuff now, but it's usually hidden under some license you would otherwise pass on and so miss out on something worth playing.)

WayForward have a couple of canceled projects, including at least 3 Shantaes. Supposedly they raid some of those old ideas for new projects, so this lost GBA game might be familiar in some spots today, but it's great that they can finally get this original project out there.

One crazy one for me as a fan of the franchise that didn't make it was their 32-bit (PS1/PC) SHantae projct. It might be a good thing that didn't happen, as they had radically redesigned the character art, but I kind of liked what they were trying to do with that as some kind of 2.5D game. (I remember there was also a "Shantae Wii" project being shopped around that some keyart leaked for, but I think that eventually became Shantae HGH.)

E7OJL8Q.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom