• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was GamePass the downfall of Xbox?

midnightAI

LMAO you should ask the Windows Phone owners how they felt when MS abruptly abandoned mobile phones after decades of being in that market

MS will shut anything down when they feel like it. They are like any big company, they'll keep propping something up until they get tired of it and then they'll take it out back with the shotgun and that's the end
Ugh, don't remind me, loved Windows Phone at the time. And while not exactly the same money being thrown around as their recent gaming acquisitions but this was not too long after acquiring Nokia that they completely abandoned it.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

lol I've been talking with Xbox owners all day here. What's your sample size? 1?

It's also funny that you assume I don't have a Xbox
To be fair, Neogaf and Resetera are bubbles with a quite distorted negative view of Xbox in general.

I do participate on many different Xbox groups in different social media and the vast majority seems to be quite happy with GamePass.

If you go to any of the Xbox subreddits you will also easily notice that GamePass is pretty popular around the community too.

The sample you're collecting here is not a good one.

Red5

Depends on what the end goal was when they made Gamepass. They stated that their goal was to be on every piece of hardware that can run Gamepass and XCloud. Would it be a downfall if Spencer achieved what set out to do, Funneling users and money from PS, Nintendo, PC, Tablets and Smartphones? I doubt MS would even stop making hardware outright since they make more revenue from their native hardware than using third party hardware.

Killjoy-NL

To be fair, Neogaf and Resetera are bubbles with a quite distorted negative view of Xbox in general.

I do participate on many different Xbox groups in different social media and the vast majority seems to be quite happy with GamePass.

If you go to any of the Xbox subreddits you will also easily notice that GamePass is pretty popular around the community too.

That's why GamePass is stagnating at 30M.
Outside of Xbox consoles, there is little interest.

That's the entire issue MS is facing.

coolmast3r

When they started to attempt this big acquisition, Xbox had some momentum earlier in the gen, mostly from nice hardware and good will from fans who didn't think they could possibly keep repeating the same mistakes. But they're so bad at what they do, that they had already lost all of that momentum by the time the deal closed and it no longer stood to support either the console business or Gamepass as envisioned at the time.

Ultimately Xbox has become a brand that needed to spend 70b to convince you to sign up for a PC sub service after two straight generations of anemic good games compared to Sony and Nintendo, and now is heading towards just putting the IPs they just purchased on those platforms anyway.

It's okay if you disagree that's a downfall, just means we have different definitions of what a downfall is.

P.S. Xbox One definitely caused major damage, but they still could have rebounded back. You could feel it in the air when Series X launched -we were willing to give them a fair shot to correct the blunder, and wanted them to. It ended up being the final nail. They could have pulled a Switch, but instead doubled-down on everything wrong with XB1 and pulled a Wii U 2.
Bingo, couldn't have said it better myself.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
LMAO you should ask the Windows Phone owners how they felt when MS abruptly abandoned mobile phones after decades of being in that market

MS will shut anything down when they feel like it. They are like any big company, they'll keep propping something up until they get tired of it and then they'll take it out back with the shotgun and that's the end
Interestingly that experience possibly makes it less, not more, likely for Microsoft to shut the Xbox platform down.

"Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's Biggest Regret Is Ditching Windows Phone."

mdkirby

When they started to attempt this big acquisition, Xbox had some momentum earlier in the gen, mostly from nice hardware and good will from fans who didn't think they could possibly keep repeating the same mistakes. But they're so bad at what they do, that they had already lost all of that momentum by the time the deal closed and it no longer stood to support either the console business or Gamepass as envisioned at the time.

Ultimately Xbox has become a brand that needed to spend 70b to convince you to sign up for a PC sub service after two straight generations of anemic good games compared to Sony and Nintendo, and now is heading towards just putting the IPs they just purchased on those platforms anyway.

It's okay if you disagree that's a downfall, just means we have different definitions of what a downfall is.

P.S. Xbox One definitely caused major damage, but they still could have rebounded back. You could feel it in the air when Series X launched -we were willing to give them a fair shot to correct the blunder, and wanted them to. It ended up being the final nail. They could have pulled a Switch, but instead doubled-down on everything wrong with XB1 and pulled a Wii U 2.
If things are indeed as dire for xbox as some are claiming (I’m not convinced that is the case yet, but it could well be), then I expect it can very much be traced back to the xone gen, and that their failure their cemented their longer term failure.

Xone gen was when everyone switched building their digital game libraries and really started building out their online friend communities. Getting people to switch and abandon all their backwards compatible libraries as they entered the ps5 gen was always gonna be an incredibly hard sell. I think in the opening years things go masked by the pandemic and supply chain issues. Meaning things looked more equal and better for microsoft than they would have appeared otherwise.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If we use GAF as a sample, the majority of GP subscribers who polled here seem to use it exclusively for games, unless a game isn't on it.

Seems like they're pretty A-OK with it 🤷‍♂️

VYPgwzP.jpg

Three

Which games were pushed back that would have really pushed the needle for console sales? (It's not clear to me that even 2024's lineup will make a big difference)
Their whole effort was on gamepass and they weren't driven by console sales so instead of getting the likes of Halo or Forza Motorsport ready (they always had 2 year cycles in the past) and in a good state for a console launch by investing more to ramp up development, they did the opposite, they ramped down. Raked in the gamepass sub money as it was still growing at the time. A delay meant that they could collect even more revenue from subs before it hit. They didn't fear not selling many consoles even though they pushed for the new gen and released it with nothing. In internal emails they even mention that gamepass is their new platform now.

It's clear that the gamepass strategy made them prioritise differently and not fear delays as it meant more revenue anyway instead of no revenue at all plus costs. A delay to a first party game is beneficial to a studio that is launching on gamepass whereas a delay to a game that needs sales means you've got costs with absolutely no revenue for that period.

Last edited:

BlackTron

If things are indeed as dire for xbox as some are claiming (I’m not convinced that is the case yet, but it could well be), then I expect it can very much be traced back to the xone gen, and that their failure their cemented their longer term failure.

Xone gen was when everyone switched building their digital game libraries and really started building out their online friend communities. Getting people to switch and abandon all their backwards compatible libraries as they entered the ps5 gen was always gonna be an incredibly hard sell. I think in the opening years things go masked by the pandemic and supply chain issues. Meaning things looked more equal and better for microsoft than they would have appeared otherwise.

There is no question that Xbox One ruined them and had they not screwed it up, they could have come into next-gen much, much stronger and swinging with more momentum. But I don't think it took away their opportunity to fix it. Xbox got a second wind from Series and pandemic -they simply squandered it. The One may have put the brand in the ground, but everyone wanted to nicely extend down a ladder anyway. They just decided not to climb out! They want us to climb down to where they are instead! Even with bribes!

If the successor to Wii U failed, we would all be pointing at Wii U as where it REALLY ended. Wrong. If Nintendo could pull that off with Switch, Xbox could have turned it around when given a free pass to try again. Lots of people bought X (and S) and WANTED it to be good, anecdotally it seemed like a big uptick from last gen.

Elios83

No Gamepass has devalued their games and IPs and cultivated an audience that doesn't want to pay to play games but the culprit behind the fall of Xbox as a console is the decision to kill console exclusives in favour of day one PC releases + a chronic lack of big high quality releases that they're being really slow to fix even with all the studios and publishers they bought.

Last edited:

FireFly

Their whole effort was on gamepass and they weren't driven by console sales so instead of getting the likes of Halo or Forza Motorsport ready (they always had 2 year cycles in the past) and in a good state for a console launch by investing more to ramp up development, they did the opposite, they ramped down. Raked in the gamepass sub money as it was still growing at the time. A delay meant that they could collect even more revenue from subs before it hit. They didn't fear not selling many consoles even though they pushed for the new gen and released it with nothing. In internal emails they even mention that gamepass is their new platform now.

It's clear that the gamepass strategy made them prioritise differently and not fear delays as it meant more revenue anyway instead of no revenue at all plus costs. A delay to a first party game is beneficial to a studio that is launching on gamepass whereas a delay to a game that needs sales means you've got costs with absolutely no revenue for that period.
Even if you think that Game Pass subscriptions are not driven by having compelling content, my point is that we have already had 2 Forza games and a Halo title, and it seemingly hasn't changed the sales trajectory.

Moreover, console sales were supply limited for the first year and then we had Halo and Forza hitting at the same time. A world where Halo and Forza arrive at launch instead is likely one in which the second holiday season is now largely empty of compelling new titles.

With lengthening development cycles, I don't think Halo, Forza and Gears can cut it, if your aim is to go H2H with Sony. You need a regular stream of big budget AAA content. While until the Activision purchase, Microsoft had acquired mostly mid tier studios. So I think a world without Game Pass probably requires a huge restructuring that may or may not be successful.

Last edited:
No. The downfall was when Don Mattick presented an anti-consumer entertainment box called the Xbox One back in 2013, which almost killed the brand.

Gamepass is just a consequence of Microsoft realizing their Xbox brand was so damaged they wouldn't have a comeback against the likes of Sony and Nintendo, forcing them to think outside the box to savage what they could. Thus, Xbox Game Pass was born.

It is, again, Mattick's fault.

Last edited:

Three

Even if you think that Game Pass subscriptions are not driven by having compelling content, my point is that we have already had 2 Forza games and a Halo title, and it seemingly hasn't changed the sales trajectory.
Gamepass is driven by having compelling content I'm not saying it isn't. it was meeting targets in those years though allowing them to delay games and have nothing launch with the console. They were happy to do that. Console sales were not a priority even though they were the ones trying to push a new generation with absolutely no new gen games. Sony didn't mind prolonging that gen but I feel MS just wanted to stop PS4 gaining any more traction and put Sony under pressure to lower their margins. Sony however still selling at a loss unlike prior gens surprisingly didn't go into negatives.
Moreover, sales were supply limited for the first year and then we had Halo and Forza hitting at the same time. A world where Halo and Forza arrive at launch instead is likely one in which the second holiday season is now largely empty of compelling new titles.
They didn't secure chips as aggressively as others because again console sales were unimportant and secondary to them, they were prioritising trying to push their subscription services again (cloud) . I specifically mentioned motorsport but the years Halo and Forza Horizon launched were fairly competitive in terms of console sales. Keep in mind though that Halo and Forza Horizon was crossgen and free on gamepass because priority was about driving engagement and console sales were secondary. They gave no real compelling reasons to upgrade

With lengthening development cycles, I don't think Halo, Forza and Gears can cut it, if your aim is to go H2H with Sony. You need a regular stream of big budget AAA content. While until the Activision purchase, Microsoft had acquired mostly mid tier studios. So I think a world without Game Pass probably requires a huge restructuring that may or may not be successful.
I think gamepass is here to stay. As they mentioned internally "gamepass is our new platform". They want to be a services company. The point is that they didn't prioritise console sales and that's what cost them console sales, their strategy was all around gamepass which may have or have not panned out how they hoped. If they wanted to sell consoles they could have done several things better to make it more attractive but they didn't.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Gamepass is just a consequence of Microsoft realizing their Xbox brand was so damaged they wouldn't have a comeback against the likes of Sony and Nintendo, forcing them to think outside the box to savage what they could. Thus, Xbox Game Pass was born.

Or in this place we call "reality" it was the Xbox division aligning with the overall Microsoft push of services, such as how they moved Office to the Office 365 subscription as opposed to yearly boxed upgrades.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
because gamepass was the reason that the lineup was weak. They didn't mind not having any games at launch for new hardware because they were too concerned with hours instead of concerned with selling consoles:

They delayed games instead of spending more money ramping up development because they were still seeing gamepass growth at the time and that was beneficial to them. Delays meant revenue was coming from the sub every month while they worked on the game. Instead of spending more money for it to go into the sub quicker.

That makes zero sense, ms knew all along more consoles sold = more potential subs, despite any pr doubletalk. 100% guaranteed they care about units sold, it's the whole reason series s exists in the first place.

Delaying games to continue the revenue stream was definately not a thing, If anythjng it hurt subs as people decided to not renew due to lack of games. Just silly scrambling to make up stuff at this point. The games were not finished, there's been zero evidence that budgets were slashed and or games were delayed on purpose. They had HUGE teams and budgets on these games.

Xbox's fall is because of bad management. GamePass is a decision brought about by bad management.

It really started in the last half of 360's lifetime, when Xbox decided to chase the motion control fad. That in itself is fine, but management decided it was so important, their 1st party AAA exclusives started to dry up as studios focused on content for Kinect. Sony, on the other hand, was still putting out bangers, as well as content for Move.

Next we have the XBO. While Sony was smart enough to realize motion control was a fad, MS management decided to go all in on it, which meant going with a weaker GPU to offset the cost of the Kinect 2.0. They also geared the whole UI around Kinect and focused on a cable TV integration, when anyone with eyes could see people were moving to streaming. They also, for some unknown reason, thought their 3rd place finish last gen gave them a strong position to where they could push DRM for the system, requiring the system to check-in every 24 hrs in order for you to play. Talk about arrogant.

It also didn't help that after the first year or two of the XBO's lifespan, their exclusive content not only started to dry up, much of the games they were releasing were mediocre at best, seemingly because management didn't really care about quality, but just wants content. They also started putting these former exclusives out on PC Day 1, making the Xbox HW more redundant. These problems have carried onto the Xbox Series. Then, you have GamePass...

Let's just be honest here, games on PC and GamePass Day 1 was not about giving more games to more people. It was always about baiting Sony into following down a business path of self destruction/devaluation, as only MS could afford to take such heavy losses on supporting the redundancy of their HW and putting AAA exclusives on a subscription where they'll make a fraction of what it would at retail. Management thought they could spend Sony out of existence once and for all. Sony didn't take the bait and is reaping all the rewards, while MS is stuck with GamePass. A subscription that is very expensive to run and where management still seemingly doesn't care about quality, but just needs more content to feed the beast, otherwise they start to lose subs.

In the end, management is the real issue, a problem they seem to refuse to solve. Which is why it's foolish for Xbox fanboys to cheer on more acquisitions when the real problem hasn't been solved, and will only spread to the new studios. MS also needs to learn, Sony isn't reacting to them. They're always reacting to Sony.

Last edited:

Kings Field

these exclusives for the most part have this “gamepass quality” to them. I don’t know what it is but a good chunk of them feel just meh. There’s no incentive for these devs to make anything amazing because they’re already getting paid, no matter how mediocre the quality is.

When you don’t have an incentive to make something spectacular like say Balders Gate 3 where if you fuck it up it could mean studio closing so you put all your heart and soul into it, then you just don’t care and throw anything together for gamepass.

FireFly

The point is that they didn't prioritise console sales and that's what cost them console sales, their strategy was all around gamepass which may have or have not panned out how they hoped. If they wanted to sell consoles they could have done several things better to make it more attractive but they didn't.
That's true, but simply prioritizing console sales is not sufficient to compete with Sony, as last generation proved. You need compelling mass market AAA content, which they lack. So a world in which Game Pass didn't exist may still be one in which console sales have significantly slowed by this point.

Boss Mog

Yes. Not only did it kill sales, but it also diminished the quality of first party games and the state they released in. Halo Infinite releasing in chunks is a prime example of this.

MS spoke of "engagement" but when I had Gamepass I would play a game for a bit, then move on to another so there was actually a lack of engagement for me. When I actually buy a game, I usually play it from start to finish and that's what I call actual engagement.

Three

That makes zero sense, ms knew all along more consoles sold = more potential subs, despite any pr doubletalk. 100% guaranteed they care about units sold, it's the whole reason series s exists in the first place.
You've misunderstood everything. Nobody is saying they prefer to sell less consoles rather than more. You've missed the point. Phil was saying he doesn't care if you stay on past gen or other platforms as long as you subscribe to our new platform gamepass because we are trying to drive engagement rather than console sales. Hence why no new next gen games on the console and the most barren xbox launch in existence, hence why Halo and Forza were crossgen and on PC. Hence why they secured chips for cloud first. Their strategy was driven by gamepass first.

Delaying games to continue the revenue stream was definately not a thing, If anythjng it hurt subs as people decided to not renew due to lack of games. Just silly scrambling to make up stuff at this point. The games were not finished, there's been zero evidence that budgets were slashed and or games were delayed on purpose. They had HUGE teams and budgets on these games.
Did the numbers drop at some point? Even in 2022? No.

If you believe the delays are unrelated fine but I believe that those delays were aided by the fact that revenue would be incoming for a gamepass release as long as the numbers were increasing and a delay wouldn't be as costly as a studio relying on game sales and getting no revenue but incurring cost during that delay. You may disagree.

Last edited:
partly. the way they pivoted everything to it with thinking this is some another 'miracle guarantee win bussiness breakthrough' while overlook other important things that need proper attention that plague them for decades.

but to be fair, more to the blame is their management too hastily and greedy trying with quick rich scheme mindset. instead of tread the path properly, they want to dominate everything instantly. thats the main problem.

Even ignoring the difficulties related to the medium compared to say movies or music, even Netflix had to put out killer apps.

They had Friends on there which is something people love to rewatch.

Then they created their own content: House of Cards, Stranger Things. Black Mirror, Narcos, The Crown, Daredevil...

For years they were getting more hits and more diverse hits than any HBO, meanwhile, HBO was still largely tied to cable subscriptions.

Pulling the plug on Xbox would be nasty in either case. I've probably paid thousands in digital games since the early 360 days. I would argue it's too big to fail at this point. Stadia refunded almost everything, which cost Google $$$. Now take into account Xbox being hundreds of times bigger. The backlash would be immense, so I assume if they kill it, Xbox services themselves will exist for years to come so you can play games (and Microsoft doesn't have to refund).

Either way, I do not think Xbox will be shut down for the sole reason of it being too expensive to kill.
Nothing is too expensive to kill. Especially if it's more expensive to keep running. While not as big a chunk of the overall market share, I'm sure some people bought thousands of dollars in music on the Zune. Or thousands in app purchases on the Windows Phone. They still were killed off.

Heck, this year or next would be the perfect time to kill it off as the vast majority of gamers don't care about the brand and are moving to Nintendo and/or PlayStation and/or PC.

Having said all that, I doubt Xbox would go away completely. I'm sure they'll still publish games under the title of Xbox Studios. And if you have a PC, your purchased games would still be redeemable there. But, be assured that MS is not going to worry about giving out refunds to games people bought on the stores on Xbox HW. I doubt they'd be compelled to, either.

I think it is because of Game Pass, they could not deliver big-budget games like these.

Have you noticed that almost all XGS games look very AA and mid-budget? Starfield, Avowed, Indiana Jones, Halo Infinite, Redfall, etc. None of these games have the scope, ambition, or production values of a modern-day high-budget AAA game, e.g., TLOU 2, GOWR, Cyberpunk, RDR 2, etc.

So it does tie indirectly back to Game Pass.

Microsoft can't afford to drop 200 million dollars on several games. Can the parent company afford it? Yes, but MGS can't afford it and hope to be remotely profitable.

The combination of GamePass cannibalizing sales and their low consumer base means that they'd struggle to get return on investment.

Maybe you can do it with one game like Halo Infinite probably costs them somewhere close to that, but when it dangerously underperforms you see the results.

It's even a risk for Sony, but generally a calculated risk. They have a much bigger userbase and their studios are leagues ahead of Microsoft's. You don't just trust anyone with that kind of money.

I bet Kojima's project on Xbox might be the final straw when it blows up in their face. I wouldn't expect to see any more high profile collaborations that aren't more traditional after that.

Xbox guys such as yourself have been predicting Sony's downfall because they won't be able to compete with Microsoft outside of consoles.

Your comments regarding Sony:

Xbox guys are always predicting Sony's downfall.

The difference is that we're actually seeing Game Pass and Xbox perform below expectations. The entire Xbox division might not fail, but consoles are certainly in question and the Cloud might not take off nearly as well you guys think.
Where did I predict their downfall? I even said they'd win the generation no problem, and I want Sony and PS to strive. Its just 90% on here are anti Xbox and are trying to paint a picture of complete failure.

Nobody is saying it's all fine and dandy of course it isn't but neither is it on its last legs.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm sure some people bought thousands of dollars in music on the Zune. Or thousands in app purchases on the Windows Phone.

Neither the Zune store or the Windows App store ever had much traction. One of the reasons why Windows Phone was killed was because there weren't apps on the store. It didn't even have Instagram or Google Maps until right before MS pulled the plug.

Hohenheim

I find it strange that there's such things as "Sony fans" and "Xbox fans" still.
Why not just enjoy the fact that we're living in a golden age of gaming?
Who cares what systems or services other folks prefer?
Be gaming enthusiasts, not fans of these brands. These are not football clubs.

tech is actually there, it just needs to get cheaper/more accessible. GeForce Now Ultimate is fucking incredible. I've been using it a bunch on my Mac lately and it looks and feels just like playing the game on my desktop PC. Even competitive FPS are very playable.
This works for you and myself at home. However, when I tried in the house we rented it was trash and if this was how it was all the time I would have canceled my sub. I think streaming is a great alternative. But we’re a ways off of it being accessible for everyone. Shoot even consoles release in some markets late.

Interestingly that experience possibly makes it less, not more, likely for Microsoft to shut the Xbox platform down.

"Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's Biggest Regret Is Ditching Windows Phone."

Except for the fact that doubling down on Xbox when the board wanted to shut it down and instead shutting down mobile was the mistake...

Every dollar they poured into Xbox they could have poured into Windows Mobile.

The reality is that Microsoft can achieve their objectives in gaming without Xbox and recognizing that the brand is failing and making a decision to pivot makes more sense than just dumping more and more money into it.

Why isn't Vision of Mana Xbox exclusive? Because Microsoft didn't want to pay for it. Why isn't Persona 3 exclusive? Because Microsoft didn't want to pay for it. These aren't even massive games.

What's the biggest 3rd party exclusive game on the horizon for Xbox this year? What was the biggest one last year and the year before that?

simpatico

Xbox died with the X-BONE. It's just coasting off 360 inertia still. Mofo is gonna be studied as one of the greatest brand collapses of all time. They had the console industry on a tee and they whiffed harder than I believe someone could if they were actually trying to whiff.

Kssio_Aug

Where did I predict their downfall? I even said they'd win the generation no problem, and I want Sony and PS to strive. Its just 90% on here are anti Xbox and are trying to paint a picture of complete failure.

Nobody is saying it's all fine and dandy of course it isn't but neither is it on its last legs.
It might have almost 15 years that I see a vocal part of Neogaf community and other social media constantly predicting the end of the Xbox or how MS will destroy the market. I'm still waiting for any of this to actually become a reality. The market is actually quite more interesting nowadays if you ask me, with the exception of social media constant fud.

Last edited:

Phase

lmao wtf? Gamepass is all they want to push, and eventually thats whats going to make them ton of money
Look up Microsoft earning from any quarter since last 10 years. 365 and azure subscription makes them gazillion dollars, microsoft is ultimately a software company
As technology and internet speed progresses even more, input lag and graphic fidelity from local and cloud processing will only get better
They are building a gigantic catalogue which eventually everyone will want on their platform, think next 15-20 years down the road
It happened with software, data, movies and music. Gaming its taking longer because of too many bottleneck, but I assure you IT WILL happen. And Microsoft will be on forefront with monopoly.
I think you may be right and that a long play strategy could work, but a couple of things matter. One, will MS continue to fund Xbox that long? They might not have the patience if Xbox isn't generating enough revenue. Two, they cannot keep removing games from their library if they want people's confidence in the service.

Neither the Zune store or the Windows App store ever had much traction. One of the reasons why Windows Phone was killed was because there weren't apps on the store. It didn't even have Instagram or Google Maps until right before MS pulled the plug.
Xbox is losing all traction it made with the 360. And while Windows Phone didn't gain more than 4% WW market share, that's still millions of phones sold each year. With 200K+ plus apps, many paid for. Which means millions of people spent money on the WP store.

The real point remaining, nothing is too expensive to shut down when it's more expensive to keep it running. That's how businesses run. And while MS's MO is to keep those businesses going more than most would, they still have a shelf life. I also doubt MS refunded those Zune and WP Store purchases.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Xbox chased trends to capture a fickle mainstream and distanced themselves from the core gaming audience that was the foundation during the 360 era. They devalued the brand and lowered the expectations of consumers around software costs.

Sony are more conservative and know exactly where their bread is buttered. They continued to double down on their strengths through some rough patches when the world was telling them the console and the single-player experience was about to die off. It turns out their audience were happy to pay the premium for the experiences and still are. It appears they very nearly derailed recently with an internal push for excessive GaaS titles, but it looks like they're course-correcting.

Gamepass as it is pretty much amounts to a socialism/communism approach for games while Sony's is more of a meritocracy. The former a lowering tide and the latter a rising or steady tide.

Xbox will power through because they now have COD, Elder Scrolls/Fallout etc. + the MS cash cow. But, just like Gamepass, it's not really based on merit. Xbox had so many opportunities and far greater resources to work with, yet Sony still made so much more out of what they had; they know the value of their brand and meet demand with precision when it come to pricing. MS however will just do "good enough" and hoover up whatever they can.

MS may very well have intended to go this route, but I very much doubt that they wanted to do it with such a weak foundation in the traditional console space and such poor brand-association with their software, not to mention having to devalue their software so much just to get here.

Know your value, this is basically what's been happening in a more indirect sense, only MS' had so much money they kept buying eggs:

Last edited:
liveblogging monty python GIF

It has been a few months since Xbox made the largest purchase in gaming history and y'all are creating threads about their downfall like they are Sega leaving consoles or something.

Killer8

All roads lead back to software - in Xbox's case the lack of compelling software. You can't get people to consistently subscribe to a service without a constant stream of reasons to do so. Similarly, people will not purchase a console if nothing interests them (and for many who don't play on PC, owning an Xbox becomes a precondition to accessing Game Pass). You can maximize 'engagement' all you want with the install base you have, but there is a ceiling on how far you can take that. This has already been talked about by some analysts who say that MS are reaching peak subscriber count saturation.

Looking beyond consoles, the battleground on PC is arguably even more fierce. What's important to consider is that's not just from a sales perspective, but a library one. Papa Phil bemoaned that MS lost the most important digital race to Sony during the PS4 gen and now everyone has this big library of games they want to keep with them between generations. Well Steam absolutely dwarves that, and PC gamers show a similar level of reluctance to dive into other store fronts like Epic Game Store.

There is nothing stopping PC gamers from using Game Pass for a month to play the games and then later buy the ones they liked in a Steam sale. You might say "MS gets the money regardless", but on Steam they get a smaller cut. It also doesn't address the fact they're missing out on having a committed subscriber. The value proposition of renting 200 games a month (many of them old ones) also starts to erode when you can own a dozen cheap games in a Humble Bundle for a similar price. Microsoft releasing games on PC doesn't even sidestep competing with Sony like it once did, because they're starting to release their games on PC now as well.

reinking

Gold Member
It has been a few months since Xbox Microsoft made the largest purchase in gaming history and y'all are creating threads about their downfall like they are Sega leaving consoles or something.
FIFY.

No, I do not think the Xbox brand is going anywhere but it was the parent company that made that purchase.

Viewing PC as a sister to the Xbox ecosystem rather than a competitive platform was a mistake. That's not to say NOT to put at least some games on there, but parity will disincentivize people from picking on a console. Why even bother?

Games. Games. Games. That they're still trying to fix the issue of a steady release of good games even after the acquisition tells you just how bad they've been struggling. I don't think it's even possible to have it in a good place (if possible at all) till the release of their next gen system to change the brand enough that more people are lining up for Xbox releases. Until then the brand just limps on.

GP has been the bandaid holding all their shit together until they can make the above happen. God knows how bad things would have been without at least the value of it. Maybe it was even at first a temporary stopgap until they could make the other changes needed, realized just how far behind they were with development of titles, shorting up new titles, and just all around getting assgaped by Covid. Now they had to pivot to make GP their brand for now.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It's not about this generation.

You said Sony doesn't have the infrastructure or the logistics to do anything on the scale of Xcloud and that Microsoft is perfectly positioned with cloud gaming and Sony is nieve where the industry is headed.

Because Xbox has completely reinvented itself over the last 4 years. They are a completely different animal now, Sony are actually losing studios, either closing them down or losing contracts with third parties who worked exclusively with them. All that and the market is shifting, Sony are not shifting with it unfortunately and it could be to their detriment.

You were very clear about this. You said Sony is closing their studios and losing contracts with third parties who worked with them exclusively and Sony is not shifting with the market.

In short, you're saying Sony is stuck with the "old fashion model" as Xbox fans love to say and they won't be able to compete with Microsoft in other areas. When you say the market is shifting, you're saying Microsoft will shift with it and Sony won't be prepared for it.

Top Bottom