• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was 2014 the best year for films of the current decade?

I mean, so many films that I would list as being example of modern film at it's finest.

Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The LEGO Movie
Guardians of the Galaxy
Whiplash
Nightcrawler
Birdman
Edge of Tomorrow
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Babadook
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
John Wick
Selma
Gone Girl
Interstellar
Force Majeure
Goodbye to Language
Inherent Vice
The Raid 2
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Life Itself

Let me know if there's any I missed. Also, what's your favorite year of film?

I mean, think of all the great, impactful and groundbreaking films that came out that year.
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The LEGO Movie
Guardians of the Galaxy
Whiplash
Nightcrawler
Birdman
Edge of Tomorrow
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Babadook
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
John Wick
Selma

What's your favorite year of film?

Disagree. Most of those were terrible or at least just big budget popcorn flicks. Certainly doubtful as the best year of a decade that isnt even over yet assuming you mean 2011-2020.

Edit: I mean wasnt edge of tomorrow just groundhog day with guns? Or am I thinking of the wrong movie?

Davide

How did you leave off Interstellar?

It was pretty good, 2017 has also been absolutely fantastic. Probably the best two years of the decade.

Logan
Get Out (haven't seen it yet)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Wonder Woman
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Baby Driver
Dunkirk
War for the Planet of the Apes

Still to come:

Thor: Ragnorak
Blade Runner 2049
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

And whatever Oscar-type movies come.

NCSOFT

Actually I found all the years in currently decade pretty even, there's not 1 year that I found especially great or especially bad.
2014 is Okay, I liked Whiplash the best out of that list. You might as well put Gone Girl on there, maybe Interstellar as well, actually, Dawn was pretty good.

Bronx-Man

Banned
2014 was the year the Marvel Gawds descended from the heavens and provided us with auteur James Gunn's magnum opus, Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's the best year for films, period, by default.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Disagree. Most of those were terrible or at least just big budget popcorn flicks. Certainly doubtful as the best year of a decade that isnt even over yet assuming you mean 2011-2020.

Edit: I mean wasnt edge of tomorrow just groundhog day with guns? Or am I thinking of the wrong movie?
The fuck? By what metric is any film on that list terrible?

How did you leave off Interstellar?

It was pretty good, 2017 has also been absolutely fantastic.

Logan
Get Out (haven't seen it yet)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Wonder Woman
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Baby Driver
Dunkirk

Still to come:

Thor: Ragnorak
Blade Runner 2049
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

And whatever Oscar-type movies come.

Interstellar beats everything in the OP.

Also Logan ane Get Out were amazing. I couldnt believe Logan was so personal and not thr typical Xmen action movie. Great flick.

The fuck? By what metric is any film on that list terrible?

Opinions, how do they work? I didnt enjoy most of the movies in the OP. Only 3 of them were decent. Budapest hotel was hot garbage in my opinion, for instance, despite its critical acclaim or whatever. Also hated Lego movie and thought Guardians was corny as fuck and boring.

big ander

14 had Force Majeure, The Wind Rises, Goodbye to Language, and Inherent Vice on top of your mentioned Boyhood and John Wick and Grand Budapest and Babadook.

Nonetheless 11 wins for me based on The Tree of Life alone

Jeremy

I have no idea, there's some decent ass movies but The Interview counteracts any good will that emerged from Hollywood that year. That movie somehow ruined everything else for me to the point I didn't watch another movie until Force Awakens, that movie just seemed like a rock bottom. That's definitely not a super long time but I used to love film a lot. Overall, movies seem like the lesser format versus the current transition to an episodic format.

NCSOFT

14 had Force Majeure, The Wind Rises, Goodbye to Language, and Inherent Vice on top of your mentioned Boyhood and John Wick and Grand Budapest and Babadook.

Nonetheless 11 wins for me based on The Tree of Life alone

11 was really not memorable outside of that.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This year has been pretty good...

Get Out
Logan
Colossal
Wonder Woman
GotG 2
Logan Lucky
Baby Driver
Big Sick
Detroit
Spider-Man
John Wick 2

NCSOFT

Yup.

Eh, I'd take Guardians of the Galaxy alone over either of those.

Subjectively, everyone can have differing opinions.
However, MMFR has 90 MTC score, 97% RT (8.6 Average), also won 6 Oscars.
Inside out has 94 MTC Score, 98% on RT (8.9 Average). No blockbuster film in 2014 came anywhere near that, not even close.

big ander

A Separation, Certified Copy, Attack the Block, Take Shelter, Drive, Hanna, Beginners, Weekend...my point was that Tree of Life is good enough to make even a dull year notable, but honestly there was plenty going on in 11

All the films on the list and you choose Edge of Tomorrow to single out? Come on man... it wasn't revolutionary, but it was pretty fun.

Groundhog Day is far from the only movie with a looping time concept.

Davide

Inside out has 94 MTC Score, 98% on RT (8.9 Average). No blockbuster film in 2014 came anywhere near that, not even close.
Meanwhile the best picture for 2013 had slightly lower at 96% and the Best Picture of the year for 2014 had 91%, same as Guardians of the Galaxy.

When you can to 90+ territory on very different movies percentage differences don't mean a lot.

The LEGO Movie has a 96% RT, 8.2 average, and an 83 MTC score.

It's close enough.

Venture

2011 was a good year. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is maybe the best movie I've seen in the last decade or so. The Artist and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo are both excellent as well. And while I haven't seen them, Drive and Bridesmaids seem to be very well regarded.

big ander

This year has been pretty good...

Get Out
Logan
Colossal
Wonder Woman
GotG 2
Logan Lucky
Baby Driver
Big Sick
Detroit
Spider-Man
John Wick 2
Only having seen half of these, some are good but not great (Detroit, Logan) or even great but just not quite amazing (Big Sick, Baby Driver, Get Out) and others I would baffled to see on an end of year list (GOTG2).

I agree with Logan Lucky and John Wick 2 though. Personal Shopper is the one I'd add, and also my #1 still.

kunonabi

2016 for me. Id have to really sit down and do research to be sure but taking a basic look at the release lists and my own top tens no other year comes close to it.

How did I know The Winter Soldier would be on this list before entering this thread.. Why do people love that movie so much? Maybe I should watch it again, but I never cared for Bucky as much as the movies wanted me to.

NCSOFT

The LEGO Movie has a 96% RT, 8.2 average, and an 83 MTC score.

It's close enough.

I wouldn't say that's close enough, plenty of commercial blockbusters can land a 83 MTC, even War for the planet of the apes got near that, 90+ is prestigious territory, which is why Inside out and MM4 are kind of unique cases.

The Babadook was hilariously bad.

I loved it, especially the lead lady's performance.

Davide

How did I know The Winter Soldier would be on this list before entering this thread.. Why do people love that movie so much? Maybe I should watch it again, but I never cared for Bucky as much as the movies wanted me to.

I like the movie a lot but yeah never cared for Bucky.

Jigorath

Banned
I'd give it to 2010.

The Social Network
Black Swan
Toy Story 3
127 Hours
The Fighter
Inception
True Grit
Tangled
Buried

Hex

Banned
I'm with the 2015 crowd..

Mad Max
The VVitch
Sicario
Revenant
Beasts of No Nation
Creed
Ex Machina
The Danish Girl

And I am a fan so Force Awakens counts for me

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
2015 was a fantastic year.

Starting off, Mad Max, Beasts of No Nation, Sicario would all fall into my favorite films. Big Short, The Martian, Everest, and Bone Tomahawk would be just below them. With SOC, Dope, Hateful 8 following.

Alongside those, we got: Rogue Nation(Best MI film yet), Inside Out(Pixar's best since Ratatouille), The Martian, Creed, Ex Machina, Big Short, Straight Out of Compton, Everest, Furious 7, Peanuts Movie, Steve Jobs, Dressmaker, Bridge of Spies, Dope, Hateful 8, Kingsman, Krampus, Man From Uncle, Star Wars VII, It Follows, Bone Tomahawk, Spotlight, and more.

It's been the only year I've had to really sit down and think about my top 10. And largely the only year where I continually kept getting surprised in theater. It was such a damn strong year and looking over this thread, there are still many more films from it I need to see.

Top Bottom