• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarCraft Series 20th/World of WarCraft 10th Anniversary Thread

TheContact

Yeah, on that note, RIP the Blizzard I loved, 1993-2004. From The Lost Vikings until WCIII: TFT they were the best! And then WoW happened. (Guild Wars 1 is better! I love that game so, so much... ArenaNet was founded by some people who left Blizzard, and they outdid Blizz's RPG in my opinion.) But in the RTS genre, nobody has replaced Blizzard; instead the genere has just faded in prominence, sadly enough.

Indeed. WC3's story is kind of disappointing compared to Starcraft 1's, and in Normal WC3's campaign is way too easy, but otherwise it's a fantastic game, one of my favorites! WC3 has some of the best multiplayer ever, for instance... it's been a while since I played online multiplayer games a lot, but SC and WC3 I played online for so, so many hours. SC2's good, but it's just not the same, and as I said, the rest of the RTS genre has faded too, sadly, and I just don't find MMOs (or MOBAs) fun. Guild Wars 1 I really love and played for over a thousand hours, but any MMOs, including Guild Wars 2, just have never held my interest for long...

I just can't...guild wars 1 is > wow to you? I know that's your personal opinion but that's like saying you'd rather drive a Honda civic vs an Acura TL or something

forms

The anount if memories I have that are attached to the Warcraft games, especially World of Warcraft, is staggering.

lazygecko

I did not like the direction Warcraft 3 took as a micro-focused hero RTS. The end result for me was a watered down RTS and watered down Diablo, not really excelling at either part. I'd go as far as to say it was harmful to the RTS genre as a whole which abandoned large scale army gameplay in the wake of Blizzard's success.

I'd rather that they just keep WoW going, or even better, make a full fledged Warcraft single player RPG, than make another Warcraft RTS in the same style as WC3.

I rate it second to AQ40, but Ulduar was still phenomenal. The fact that they followed it up with their laziest* raid ever is baffling.

* Arguably, Dragon Soul was lazier.

Arguably Terrace of Endless Spring is even lazier!

I did not like the direction Warcraft 3 took as a micro-focused hero RTS. The end result for me was a watered down RTS and watered down Diablo, not really excelling at either part. I'd go as far as to say it was harmful to the RTS genre as a whole which abandoned large scale army gameplay in the wake of Blizzard's success.

I'd rather that they just keep WoW going, or even better, make a full fledged Warcraft single player RPG, than make another Warcraft RTS in the same style as WC3.

I like the direction WarCraft III took, but I can understand where people are coming from. Heroes and creeping became the most important part of a match, and I never thought of that aspect as a watered down Diablo.
I still thought the matches were pretty exciting and had a good early-mid-late game.
Even if someone didn't like the base multiplayer there were still custom games though. I still think that was the most enjoyable part of WCIII.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I was never actually big on the WC RTS games as I vastly preferred Starcraft, but I would still like to see some remakes/remasters of the original games to work on modern pcs easily. I know this was supposedly in the cards (for WC1 anyways) as of blizzcon 2013, but I hope it actually comes to fruition eventually.

Also its awesome to see WoW still going as strong as it is. 10 years later and god damn. Especially with how good WoD is. It'd be crazy if WoW actually started going back up in subs again (perpetually, not just the new expansion climb).

Tiktaalik

Warcraft 2 is one of the games that really got me into gaming in a big way. I'd love to see a remake of it, especially considering that when Blizzard released the Battlenet edition they kind of broke the game.

With Battlenet Edition Blizzard added a new faster speed setting that fundamentally broke the game in a number of ways[1], but unfortunately your average gamer didn't realize this and kept selecting the fastest setting, and Battlenet Warcraft 2 became poisoned by almost all games being at a broken speed setting.

[1] Most importantly in a lot of cases it became impossible to remove your peons from mining after you've set them to mining.

Loxley

World of Warcraft is one of my favorite games of all time. We've had ups and downs, good times and bad times, and yet I'm still playing after ten years. I'm even still playing the same main character as I was in early 2005. And Warlords already feels like the best expansion since WotlK.

I'm really hoping that we eventually get a Warcraft IV down the line. It won't be any time soon what with Blizzard already simultaneously developing content for six freaking games...but hopefully by the end of the decade :p

Magnus

What I love is that every bit of Blizzard and Warcraft's charm and humour is alive and well in WoW today. It's arguably even better than ever.

It's amazing to me that such a transformative game (and one that itself has transformed so much mechanically in a decade) has maintained its 'soul' in terms of character, aesthetic design (the art and music have never been better) and humour all these years.

People who say otherwise don't know what they're talking about imo, and are typically dismissive of the genre, and conflate that grudge with how they feel about the franchise itself.

Blizzard and WoW, my GOAT. The best of the best and undisputed MMO champions.

The return to a 10 million player base says it all. They're back.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
G51jHyK.jpg
I'm still waiting Blizzard...

Anyways, I didn't have the leisure of playing first 2 WC games, but I can honestly say that WC3 as well as TFT was some of the most fun I've with an RTS at the time of it's release.

In fact, the universe itself is such a great thing to look into.

Nice thread OP. I love Warcraft. I got out of WoW after BC to save my marriage more than anything heh. One of my all time favorite games. I'd kill for Warcraft 4. Maybe they do it after they wrap up the Protoss campaign for Starcraft 2.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This music personifies WarCraft. Especially the part that kicks in at 3:28.

I love this series. Arthas' story arc has to be one of the most interesting in popular media, even if it is a tad cliche. The storytelling in WoW is a significant step down from the fantastic WC3 and TFT, but exploring Azeroth for the past ten years has certainly been one hell of a ride. The world that they've built is incredibly detailed and beautiful.

Blizzard is also really good at making all of their stuff sound cool. Lordaeron is an awesome name for a kingdom, Frostmourne is an awesome name for a cursed blade, Khaz Modan is an awesome name for Dwarf land. They kind of fail when it comes to naming characters when they revert to noun + noun (Lightbringer, Doomhammer, Bookriver
ok, that last one isn't real, but it shows how uncreative this convention is
).

Never touched World of Warcraft, but I absolutely loved the WC-RTSs.
Pretty great storytelling in those games, innovative gameplay, and custom maps that really extended longevity.

Fjordson

Happy Anniversary, WoW brehs. Can't believe I'm still playing it a decade later (and that it's still really good). WoW is easily one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

It's amazing to think how much impact WoW has had on the genre. And to be so dominant for so long is a little crazy.
and then WoW happened and they haven't been remotely the same since. :(
Well yeah, they made their best game in 2004. Any company is going to change when they make something as monumental as World of Warcraft.

bengraven

Met the wife on WOW just before the BC expansion. :)

My favorite zones (these are all pre-Cat, except if noted):

Tirisfal Glades and Silverpine: love the undead. The UC still feels like home. The music is so eerie and yet soothing and comforting. I would almost live in the Glades if there wasn't blood thirsty undead and ravenous spiders out there. The whispering, windy music and atmosphere is second to none. Then you have Silverpine with a colder feel, wolves and werewolves hiding in the pine trees. STAY AWAY FROM THE FUCKING SONS!

Starting areas of the dwarves, humans, blood elves, and Worgen: I just really love the atmosphere in these parts, which makes me stick with these races.

Grizzly Hills: best music in the game.

Nagrand: gorgeous, fun quests. Was a relief to have so many simple quests in smaller areas unlike the other parts of BC. It felt like a break between the WARWARWAR atmosphere of the others. Despite it having a massive PVP battle in the middle.

Hellfire Penninsula: it's so weird to think that the jungle I'm exploring now becomes this. What a weird, alien looking horror show this place was and again, the music is perfect. It's pretty fun, too. I like the quests though at one point I was sick of the place. "Outland sucks," a goblin says early on. I agreed after a while.

The Barrens: hey, I liked them. Peaceful, quests were usually bunched around specific spots and you could leave almost as soon as you got there to a better area. Glad you get a mount when you get there now, though I haven't played the post-Cat place, sorry!

lazygecko

Darkshore was my favorite zone. Perfect gloomy, barren forest atmosphere. Pretty sad that it was ruined so much for Cataclysm.

I just can't...guild wars 1 is > wow to you? I know that's your personal opinion but that's like saying you'd rather drive a Honda civic vs an Acura TL or something
Guild Wars 1 >>>>>>> WoW. It's not even remotely close. Guild Wars kept me hooked for years, while WoW bored me within a couple of hours. And then Blizz wanted me to pay a monthly fee, too, to play a somewhat boring game, when I could instead play more GW, which is both better and doesn't have monthly fees? Forget that!

Guild Wars is not better than Blizzard's best RTSes, but nothing is better than Starcraft and Warcraft III; they are my two favorite PC games ever. (Warcraft II and Guild Wars are also in the top 10.)

Well yeah, they made their best game in 2004. Any company is going to change when they make something as monumental as World of Warcraft.
If by best you mean worst computer game that they had made up to that point, then you'd be on to something... :)

The WarCraft III soundtrack is astounding.
I think the Undead theme is my favorite, but picking between the 4 is impossible.
Yeah, I got the WCIII collector's edition right when it came out -- one of the only such collector's editions I've ever bought new -- and it was so worth it, both for the great artbook and also for the soundtrack CD! WCII, SC, and WCIII all have incredible soundtracks, no question about it.

Tenki

I want to go back to WoW now for the 10th anniversary but I don't have time :( I'll try to convince a couple of friends and get time from wherever I can. WoW > life :lol

thefil

I played Warcraft 3, but to me WoW is what Warcraft means. I haven't always kept up with it, but my memories are foundational. I lament what the game has become in terms of community. With the convenience, nobody talks anymore, and it's so easy there is no reason to group or make long-term contacts.

I'm currently playing through Pandaria and leveling a Shaman on a vanilla private server, so the love is still there.

SSJLuffy

I played Warcraft 3, but to me WoW is what Warcraft means. I haven't always kept up with it, but my memories are foundational. I lament what the game has become in terms of community. With the convenience, nobody talks anymore, and it's so easy there is no reason to group or make long-term contacts.

I'm currently playing through Pandaria and leveling a Shaman on a vanilla private server, so the love is still there.

Wow wow wow... Private server??

thefil

Wow wow wow... Private server??

Private servers are a grey area legally, but I think it should be OK to explain it broadly. Basically, people reverse-engineer what a WoW server does and recreate it. In the case of a vanilla server, development has come quite far and it is very easy to have an authentic "blizzlike" (the term they use) experience that is almost indistinguishable from 1.12.1. You point your out of date WoW client to the private server and off you go. The [english speaking] population of these servers tends to be either very young people who can't pay for regular WoW, people who think WoW has jumped the shark and prefer the old days, or people who want to experience the old content. Many of them also subscribe to WoW and play the new content at the same time.

Tetranet

They have done a phenomenal job. I don't like many design choices in WoW's later expansions, but that doesn't change the fact that Warcraft as a whole is a monument to gaming.

I haven't returned for Warlords of Draenor, but I think I'll count myself among the returnees soon.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Well, I hope some of you guys are happy, because you just turned this thread that could have been something special into another WoW whinefest. ;(

Anyways, I never got to play the Warcraft series. And frankly, I don't see myself why I should play it. RTS aren't my thing. I kinda fell out from Blizzard after feeling burned out from playing Starcraft games since I find myself not enjoying myself playing RTS games. Then when Diablo 3 came out on PS4/XB1, I gave it a try. And man, what a fun ride it was. The game felt so satisfying that I wanted to get back into Blizzard's games.

And that's where WoW came in. 3 months ago (Say like late August), I saw the battlechest edition for WoW that came with the first three expansions and a free month of game time. I said to myself ''Why not? I'll give it a try''.
After starting my Blood Elf Paladin, I was awed by the sense of scale and amount of content that the game has. I've met with some new friends and joined an awesome guild that are really amazing and treated me like one of them. The experience of leveling from 1-60 is something I will never forget in my life. ;)

Since I wanted to be at the top of the game ASAP, I boosted my 60 Blood Elf character to 90 (Not to mention I bought MoP at 10 euros :p). It was a bit confusing at first, but I managed it and got the opportunity to try out the last Raid of MoP (SoO, obviously) before WoD releases. Yes, there were a lot of wipes and a lot of frustrations (Hell, I couldn't try SoO at the highest difficulty). But at the end, the experience of doing a Raid that's not LFR was worth it and really made me motivated to become better and push myself to do Raids at non-LFR difficulties.

And now, here I am with my 100 Blood Elf Paladin who stepped foot into the savage world of Draenor. The leveling experience was even more better and Garrisons has to be an awesome addition. It feels good to have a fortress where you can send your own followers to missions and being a commander leading the charge against the Iron Horde. At this moment, I'm at ilvl 627, doing lots of Heroic dungeons to get to ilvl 630 so I can join my fellow guildies once the Raids opens on early December. Yeah... Raiding is not for everyone, but there's something good about doing end-game content and facing obstacles and overcoming challenges with your friends.

Yeah, that's a lot of talk for someone who played WoW for 2 months (I started on September), but the game holds a special place in my book and I can't wait to play it for many years to come.

Lanrutcon

Private servers are a grey area legally, but I think it should be OK to explain it broadly. Basically, people reverse-engineer what a WoW server does and recreate it. In the case of a vanilla server, development has come quite far and it is very easy to have an authentic "blizzlike" (the term they use) experience that is almost indistinguishable from 1.12.1. You point your out of date WoW client to the private server and off you go. The [english speaking] population of these servers tends to be either very young people who can't pay for regular WoW, people who think WoW has jumped the shark and prefer the old days, or people who want to experience the old content. Many of them also subscribe to WoW and play the new content at the same time.

No grey area. If you weren't using their client software you might have a case, but you are. You should read the terms and conditions of use sometime.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Honestly, I don't know why the hell some people wanna use private servers just to relive the old days of WoW (Probably being blind to rose tinted-colored nostalgia).

While I have immense amounts or respect for people who had time /guildies to run AQ40

I believe Blizzards finest work was Karazahn hands down, its not even a debate imo.

MisterM

I preferred C&C over Warcraft 2 (but I loved both). WC3 was something else though and then when WoW came out it blew my mind and took over my life for a good few years :D

Tempted to go back in with WoD but very, very casually.

TheYanger

Brief nitpick - Bnet didn't launch with BtDP, it launched with Diablo. You couldn't play any WC2 on battle.net in any form until the Battle.net Edition came out (I own WAY too many copies of both WC2 and the expansion, jesus).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I preferred C&C over Warcraft 2 (but I loved both). WC3 was something else though and then when WoW came out it blew my mind and took over my life for a good few years :D

Tempted to go back in with WoD but very, very casually.
While it has plenty of hardcore things to do (as usual) it is also very possible to play casually. If you like WC it's worth it just to see the new zones alone.

Top Bottom