• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart to stop accepting Visa cards in Canadian stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorrZ

Well sorry Walmart but I only use my VISA card pretty much every time I shop there so I guess it's just even more reason to stick to Amazon?

Aske

Walmart is working hard to lose my business.

In the last month they have started charging for bags, locking up carts so you need a Loonie to unlock them (I don't carry change), and now this.

Amazon it is then.

I was willing to use Interac and lose the points I'd have earned with my Visa. I was willing to pay for bags when necessary. But I will be GOD DAMNED if I'll start carrying coins to unlock their carts. Unchained carts for life.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Debit transactions are basically free (I think 1 or 2 cents for the merchant). In Canada a non-profit consortium (called Interac) runs debit cards, that's why they've been ubiquitous for 20+ years and available everywhere.
Is it different in America? Not many places but I see it often enough that charge for debit (typically Carl's jr or gas stations under a certain amount total).

plc268

In the last month they have started charging for bags, locking up carts so you need a Loonie to unlock them (I don't carry change), and now this.

Amazon it is then.

Locking carts is pretty common practice when I lived in Germany. I know aldi stores in the states do it.

It's only really annoying the first time when you don't expect it. I make it a habit to keep two coins in my car, and I'll readily give one away if someone didn't bring one.

I'll also readily give the cart away to someone walking in because I'm usually lazy.

cameron

That sucks. I use Visa for practically all retail purchases.

$50 free shipping limits and now this. They're actively discouraging people from shopping with them.

They also recently added a $5 handling fee for online orders under $25. Even if you pay for shipping or pickup an order.

ghostmind

Canadian Tire's weird near double MSRP and half off sales are a little offputting sometimes.

Weirdly, I feel most Canadian shopping at London Drugs.

I totally forgot about London Drugs - that's a viable alternative for pretty much everything I need from Walmart.

Kyuur

I've never actually seen a Visa card in the wild here. Almost every bank seems to offer Mastercard instead.

I'm 28 and still have never used a credit card. I only use debit. I know having good credit is still important for major purchases but I'm hoping that I can keep enough cash in the checking account to make any major future purchases.

You're hoping to eventually have enough liquid cash to buy a home? Dream big, I guess.

3N16MA

Banned
That sucks. I use Visa for practically all retail purchases.

They also recently added a $5 handling fee for online orders under $25. Even if you pay for shipping or pickup an order.

WTF is this? Being able to pick something up at the closest Canada Post office was a good way to counter the $50 shipping minimum.

Now they want me to pay $5 to pick up something I ordered?

Like I needed another reason to avoid this shitty store.

It's quite evident they are trying to strong-arm their customers into switching to the Mastercard Walmart card.

sikkinixx

Like I needed another reason to avoid this shitty store.

It's quite evident they are trying to strong-arm their customers into switching to the Mastercard Walmart card.

The cashiers certainly push it hard. Last time I went there I said I wasn't interested and the woman replied "but why not? You will save $xxx immediately! Here, take this pamphlet".

23qwerty

Amazon it is then.

Huh, every store everywhere has always locked carts

Only fairly recently that some of them have wanted loonies instead of quarters though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom