• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Vinyls |OT|

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
0360bdb1f440676d5ad2147fe1ba17a9.png

maxresdefault.jpg

(Thumbnail from SilverMongooseVideo)​

I have recently begun to delve into the world of Vinyl Records and I have discovered a new realm of enjoying one of my favorite aspects of video games: the music. Whether it is listening to the scratchy, unnerving sounds of Silent Hill, the upbeat and hip-hop inspired Jet Set Radio, or the classical piano renditions of Skies of Arcadia - there is a wide variety of various styles that take advantage of the media and gives it a unique sound compared to traditional digital or CD-based formats.

With the recent resurgence of Vinyls and the increasing amount of re-releases and first time prints for game soundtracks, I thought it best to create a place where we can discuss and share our finds and collections as well as help out on those interested in starting their collection.

If you are looking to start out, I found this short video to be the most helpful for me when I started a few years back.

00a4ab4afeaf5baf128f554f66fe52ba.png

(Taken from Wikipedia)
Vinyl recordings of video game music find their origins in the 1970s with early experiments by Kraftwerk[2] and albumssuch as Yellow Magic Orchestra's self-titled 1978 release sampling electronic music from the games Circus, Space Invaders, and Gun Fight.[1] In 1984, Haruomi Hosono released the first generally recognized video game soundtrack album, Video Game Music,[2][3] and the practice experienced its "golden age" in the mid-to-late 1980s with hundreds of releases including Buckner & Garcia's Pac-Man Fever, Namco's Video Game Graffiti, and Koichi Sugiyama's orchestral covers of the Dragon Quest series.[1] The 1990s saw many fewer commercial releases and a shift to promo releaseswith increasing use of video game samples in rap[4] and hip hop.[5]

The trend away from vinyl discs continued in the 2000s as fan-made remixes also began to be produced, however by the 2010s the trend reversed and the practice of producing video game soundtracks on vinyl experienced a revival.[1][6] The vinyl revival of the 2010s has itself been attributed to inspiration in younger music buyers from video games,[7] and it has led to the establishment of video game soundtrack oriented vinyl record labels like Black Screen Records,[8] Data Discs,[9] Brave Wave, and iam8bit,[10] and shifts toward similar releases for labels like Ghost Ramp,[11][12] Ship To Shore Phonograph Co.,[13] and Mondo Tees.[14] In a 2015 article, music journalist Mike Diver suggested that "this scene within a scene is experiencing boom times", however he noted that some in the music industry, including Invada manager Redg Weeks, were concerned by the risk of over-saturation of the market.[8] These concerns were later repeated by Jamie Crook of Data Discs,[9] and although he has joined Mondo's Mo Shafeek in arguing that the vinyl medium itself and the related revival is in no way a fad or bubble,[15] in 2017 Kotaku reported concerns from dedicated video game soundtrack labels that pressing plants were scheduling their manufacturing runs last in order to favor traditional labels.[6]

The 2000s-2010s revival of interest in this medium has been characterized by releases in limited numbers and promotional albums only available at special events or as pre-order bonuses.[1] In addition, the practice has been adopted by the cult[14] and Indie game scenes, with its proponents citing audio quality,[1] interactivity,[1][16] artwork,[1][17]nostalgia,[8][17] unique content,[17][18] and the fact that vinyl albums represent tangible aspects of intangible (digitally distributed) products[8][16][17] as key elements to what makes vinyl soundtrack albums attractive. Additional considerations for collectors include archival and preservation aspects for older games,[19] examination and recontextualization of the music as a means to expand or further explore the game,[13][18] and curiosity among audiophiles unfamiliar with video gaming music as a genre.[19] Due to the limited nature of modern releases, many albums are considered highly collectible, with some regularly selling in excess of $100 USD. For Western collectors, additional difficulty is imposed by the cost of importing albums from Japan where the majority were produced during the "golden age" of the 1980s.[8][17]

dc5ea8cd9a6baf597839b1863f7c5147.png

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I only own one video game based OST but i like to think it is one of the best videogame ost's i ever heard.

Mick gordon made the sickest OST ever.

I nearly bought sonic mania or cd cd. But my main problem is that it aint all golden.
And with a medium like vinyl i def don't want to skip songs :p

Give me the full ost of sonic 3S&K i need it :(

i have about 60 new records. Mainly newer music cause i like to build up my own collection not rebuy what my old man liked :p
I am def in the market for some 16 bit era 32bit era OST.
Still think it is a bit weird to hear my music set blasting 16bit but why not :p

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I only own one video game based OST but i like to think it is one of the best videogame ost's i ever heard.

Mick gordon made the sickest OST ever.

I nearly bought sonic mania or cd cd. But my main problem is that it aint all golden.
And with a medium like vinyl i def don't want to skip songs :p

Give me the full ost of sonic 3S&K i need it :(

i have about 60 new records. Mainly newer music cause i like to build up my own collection not rebuy what my old man liked :p
I am def in the market for some 16 bit era 32bit era OST.
Still think it is a bit weird to hear my music set blasting 16bit but why not :p

I am still hoping I can win one of those Vinyl Box Sets from the Year of DOOM giveaways! Love that soundtrack.

Cool. I have literally one video game soundtrack on vinyl, and that's one shown in the picture: Shenmue. There's tons of soundtracks I would like to get, or would've liked to get while still in print. It's a very pricey thing to get into.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I did buy two Vinyls today!

and

I absolutely love these albums and just had to have them for my collection. Sadly Slime Girls was sold out on their Vacation Wasteland Vinyl so I just went and purchased the casette tape of it instead.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I really want to try get these.
b3b25764cd0469baa8903c77260a3070_1920_KR.jpg
Amazon

That will be my first major purchase after I move. Absolutely love the Draken/NieR universes and Keiichi Okabe is one of the most talented composers of our time, let alone in the gaming sphere.

How much do this stuff cost?

Depends on a few factors such as the product, where you live, the store front, and how limited it is. I have found a few (such as the two I posted above) for less than 25 dollars. However, these will usually run someone around 30 to 40 USD on average.

lem0n

Sorry for the crappy photo, but my girlfriend just found this for me at a record store. It's the Pokemon Silver/Gold soundtrack! What an awesome gift👍

PAAxxIf.jpg

xXQ97yM.jpg

Last edited:

HD St.

Neo Member
Y70xXUBepWzqH0Ur5kE8Sc7fbqM23O7GGJSMBQ49zmjLK3mJzFVDC-1R_0jkoKy2a8JZ9r6s1Q0xEseVsiq0th7SyoWv1k_mA7mpfDGKsipqBOLQyw5b96a1MgKOypGNikGaqCSOf0jZjmcMMFcj8u1k66scuknxGbwMjs-R14iTIs50W-qfYkCgTJQuTyRe_HAuatjbq5xpiA6ev9OdLxX2tggKBPHmuddXUaS2f63TU1XnE2DMdt-qi6abaklYXI-Y6fsGKyQ2b1VVZnopmmVXaXRDzn_Bf54iQLUSuO7KD2MODYLitsz0e6XvRhbc0w8Shi6CrQexifewc51OQw4AtZxw3CtH0hT-_HPXNKVEg-yXfaubbB39yfP2V1bPYsoxlI5I7qy8kT4RLIeKYPycHJBL9eWp7LgWJtxol5lKRUSt4oAwwjGTEwJjG3Zpt68nhmChPjm029QJ2h6F0vskCDfiyV36RV03zBTZNvq0Ul6XdcabPFJAa8vI9KT7clBcSG4mzyC1s59S5_ykpVj66EFVZCCs22kA5MT8X7Kjs_gyjYZz_dKNYODJ9ExwZld_kzefcQK0GoaE5s62014fWPfjZKHANf3UmXs8QfcZxpDhbYt7y09wNZJp5P9z8QNnu27EclxLjmsBmVbkSPgdxqeqYeYP=w1198-h898-no

This is the only game vinyl I have purchased, I do have the Bioshock 2 LP that came with the collector's edition of that game but it's in storage.

HD St.

Neo Member
Oh yeah, I pre-ordered the DOOM OST from here, they have a Bloodborne LP for pre-order now. If you want to update the OP with this store as well.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Respawned Records on PLOK! said:

Limbs are going to fly!

Grab a unicycle, Jeep, jetpack, motorbike, tank, helicopter, or even a flying saucer, and ride on into the region of Polyesta! Pay a well deserved visit to Akrillic where you can find PLOK! Embark on an adventure with PLOK like never before while listening to the amazing soundtrack that truly tested the capabilities of the SNES. So drop the needle (but don't lose a limb!) and experience the wonderful work of Tim and Geoff Follin for the first time on vinyl.

So grab a pair of spring pogo shoes and get ready to hop into the wonderful world of PLOK!
Presented on a double LP 180g vinyl in stunning Red (A/B) and Yellow (C/D) with side D having a laser etched image of our hero PLOK!

With artwork by the creators themselves, this is a true masterpiece of passion you wont want to miss.

Plok © John Pickford and Ste Pickford. Licensed by Zee 3 Limited.

All tracks composed and produced by Tim Follin and Geoff Follin

Recording engineer Alberto J. González
Laced Records on Resident Evil 4! said:
Shipping Info:
- Orders Will Ship Late June 2020 -

Laced Records and Capcom team up once again to bring fans Resident Evil™ soundtracks on audiophile-quality vinyl. Pre-orders are now open for the Resident Evil 4 soundtrack on four LPs, featuring remastered audio from the 2005 Nintendo GameCube™ title, and brand new vinyl sleeve artwork by Boris Moncel.

Resident Evil 4 fundamentally changed the survival horror series by injecting action gameplay moving to a more action-packed over-the-shoulder camera. The gaming world continues to celebrate it as one of the most tightly designed and inventive video games ever made — a true classic that inspired many other games across several genres. For the music score, composers Shusaku Uchiyama and Misao Senbongi ratcheted up the tension with layers of unsettling electronic sounds and percussion loops; and also created fan favourite tracks “Serenity” and “Save Theme” suffused with anxious, atmospheric synths.
*All images shown here are mock-ups.*
Track List

Disc 1
Side A

End of Umbrella
The Drive ~ First Contact
Ganado I
A Strange Pasture
A Ruined Village
Ganado II
Serenity
Ganado III
Del Lago

Side B
Noche
El Gigante
Echo in the Night
Bitores Mendez
Hard Road to the Castle
Game Over
Catapult
Garrador
Ganado IV

Disc 2
Side C

Cold Sweat
Target Practice
Novistadors
Central Hall
Agony
Evil Malaise
Crazy Cultist Drivers
Bad Vibes
Verdugo

Side D
Robo-Salazar
Tower of Death
Salazar
Save Theme
Infiltration
Ganado V
Regenerador
U-3
Path to Closure

Disc 3
Side E

Krauser
Back-Up
Final Battle
The Escape
Horizon
Sorrow (Ending Credits)
Result

Side F
The Mercenaries
The Mercenaries~Leon
The Mercenaries~Ada
The Mercenaries~Krauser
The Mercenaries~Hunk
The Mercenaries~Wesker

Disc 4
Side G

Assignment Ada
Assignment Ada End Roll~tarde
Assignment Ada End Roll~noche
the another order
Ganado VI

Side H
Interlude
Intention
Shipyard
End and Aim
The Enemy
Time Limit
The Another End
Limited Run Games on Chex Quest! said:
Chex Quest soundtrack on 180g Flemoid green vinyl. This is an open pre-order for a limited time!

PREORDERS CLOSE ON FRIDAY, MAY 15TH AT 11:59PM EASTERN TIME.

There is no purchase limit on this item.

PLEASE NOTE:
This item is currently in manufacturing. Artwork is subject to change, and the product will not ship until 2-4 months after the preorder window closes. Future production updates will be visible on the product page and your account page. All orders are considered final and can not be canceled.

I started collecting years back, but currently they are just sitting on my shelf.

I’m currently waiting for Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 from Mondo. The rarest one I own is probably that Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross Japanese album. I’m not so much a retro gaming music guy. My favourite gaming music is from around 1998 with MGS and Yasunori Mitsuda’s output for Xenogears and the Chrono series.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Mondo Media has confirmed that they will be releasing a Portal 2 OST on Vinyl for its 10th anniversary next year. They have also confirmed Vinyl releases of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and The Last of Us 2. (Source: Blipblop.net)

Respawned Records has announced that Vexx, the platformer released back on the PS2, Xbox, and BC will be getting a Vinyl release!

D.Final

Banned
Mondo Media has confirmed that they will be releasing a Portal 2 OST on Vinyl for its 10th anniversary next year. They have also confirmed Vinyl releases of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and The Last of Us 2. (Source: Blipblop.net)

Respawned Records has announced that Vexx, the platformer released back on the PS2, Xbox, and BC will be getting a Vinyl release!

Cool

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I miss the old Video Game Soundtracks on Vinyl Thread. Had like 350 pages of posts. Man... NeoGaf used to be super lively back then!

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
ChipFreq has a bunch of returning and new merch for purchase!

With plenty more over on their site.

I miss the old Video Game Soundtracks on Vinyl Thread. Had like 350 pages of posts. Man... NeoGaf used to be super lively back then!

We are growing day by day and rapidly at that. Tell your friends and get discussions going! Also if you have a nice collection post it! Always cool to see what music folks get attached to from games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom