• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Prices Are ‘Very, Very Low’ For What They Offer, Says GTA 6 Publisher Take-Two

havoc00

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has said during the publishing powerhouse’s latest earnings call that he feels video game prices are generally too low for what consumers get out of them.

The executive offered insight into how Take-Two calculates video game prices, and reckons as a whole the industry offers “terrific price to value opportunity” for players.

In terms of our pricing for any entertainment property, basically the algorithm is the value of the expected entertainment usage, which is to say the per hour value times the number of expected hours plus the terminal value that’s perceived by the customer in ownership, if the title is owned rather than rented or subscribed to.

You’ll see that that bears out in every kind of entertainment vehicle. By that standard our prices are still very, very low, because we offer many hours of engagement, the value of the engagement is very high. So I think the industry as a whole offers a terrific price to value opportunity for consumers.

The Fartist

Gold Member
dumb-and-dumber-uh.gif

very well
They've been at the $60 price tag for a while. I think that's kinda the tipping point for most people. Especially in this day and age. There's always gonna be "special editions" that ask for more, but the general tag of $50-60. is where I'd bet the common consumer is about willing to go to. I know I certainly have more choice and less time than ever and if something "new" is coming out that is way overpriced...Well, I can wait.

Haha, holy shit. The gall on this asshole.

He probably still won't be satisfied even if games begin to cost north of $80 + microtransactions + season pass + unskippable adds + some sort of subscription fee + fee for starting the game + extra monetary BS. Its tragic this guy's company is in charge of publishing GTA.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has said during the publishing powerhouse’s latest earnings call that he feels video game prices are generally too low for what consumers get out of them.

The executive offered insight into how Take-Two calculates video game prices, and reckons as a whole the industry offers “terrific price to value opportunity” for players.

In terms of our pricing for any entertainment property, basically the algorithm is the value of the expected entertainment usage, which is to say the per hour value times the number of expected hours plus the terminal value that’s perceived by the customer in ownership, if the title is owned rather than rented or subscribed to.

You’ll see that that bears out in every kind of entertainment vehicle. By that standard our prices are still very, very low, because we offer many hours of engagement, the value of the engagement is very high. So I think the industry as a whole offers a terrific price to value opportunity for consumers.

THERE IT IS.

I'm gonna call this right now:

In other words, be ready for a retail price on GTA 6 of a minimum $100 for the "basic" version. If you want the multiplayer or other awesome features, you'll have to then spring $150 mid tier and $200 for the "gold edition".

And guess what, it will still sell out. The curse of GTA 6 will be that it will raise retail game prices even *further* because of the excuse of "higher development costs" and "value to dollar" experiences.

Buckle up. This is gonna be good.

nosey-eat.gif

Last edited:
His correct believe it or not. $70 is very cheap considering how expensive game development days. People are forgetting that back in the old days some games sold at $80 in the 90s.

Games are actually much more accessible now more than ever thanks to Game Pass and the low pricing of $70. There are also plenty of good F2P titles.

Those who complain have no idea how much more worse it was back in the old days. Stop crying and be grateful.

Last edited:

K' Dash

His correct believe it or not. $70 is very cheap considering how expensive game development days. People are forgetting that back in the old days some games sold at $80 in the 90s.

Games are actually much more accessible now more than ever thanks to Game Pass and the low pricing of $70. There are also plenty of good F2P titles.

Those who complain have no idea how much more worse it was back in the old days. Stop crying and be grateful.

soldier-boy-the-boys-soldier-boy.gif

Tg89

He's not wrong. The top tier games are a steal for what they cost.

The dumb thing is the standardization in price. You have garbage stuff that maintains the same initial price point as games like BG3 or TOTK.

BootsLoader

Banned
I understand that they spend a lot of money etc., but I also don't care. So far they are making new entries all the time, they are milking current franchises be re-releasing them and by Online Micro Transactions. They are making far more than 60 or 70$ from their games.
If they will sell GTA6 90 or 100$, they can wrap it and shove up their asses.
Buying a console, buying games, paying for Online Gaming, paying the internet bill for online gaming etc. is already enough money.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
THERE IT IS.

I'm gonna call this right now:

In other words, be ready for a retail price on GTA 6 of a minimum $100 for the "basic" version. If you want the multiplayer or other awesome features, you'll have to then spring $150 mid tier and $200 for the "gold edition".

And guess what, it will still sell out. The curse of GTA 6 will be that it will raise retail game prices even *further* because of the excuse of "higher development costs" and "value to dollar" experiences.

Buckle up. This is gonna be good.

nosey-eat.gif
The rest of the world has been paying $100 for video games for like a decade now. I’m Canadian, I paid 100 bucks for freaking Alan wake 2, Spider-Man 2 and FF16. I can’t wait for you cheap ass Americans to have to do the same :lollipop_grinning_sweat::lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Yes, I know the dollar, if yall pay 100 well pay 150, I get it. But I wanna see the reactions.

A game like GTA6 is easily worth 150 for me

ultrazilla

Gold Member
The rest of the world has been paying $100 for video games for like a decade now. I’m Canadian, I paid 100 bucks for freaking Alan wake 2, Spider-Man 2 and FF16. I can’t wait for you cheap ass Americans to have to do the same :lollipop_grinning_sweat::lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Yes, I know the dollar, if yall pay 100 well pay 150, I get it. But I wanna see the reactions.

A game like GTA6 is easily worth 150 for me

Trust me, as long as the game turns out to be fine and Rockstar's history/pedigree seem to indicate it will, I'd drop $100 *easily* on the game.

Marvel14

Banned

Agreed. They cost $40 in 1991. That's $90+ today. Oh and per hour? Movies in the cinema cost $6ish. Baldurs Gate 3? 53 cents.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
He's not wrong. The top tier games are a steal for what they cost.

The dumb thing is the standardization in price. You have garbage stuff that maintains the same initial price point as games like BG3 or TOTK.

What's the argument here? That games, or any entertainment, that has more playtime should cost more?

Top Bottom