• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan parents investigated for neglect after baby son found severely malnourished

Status
Not open for further replies.

20cent

Banned
Weird, who would have thought that an unnatural and new-age eco-hipster diet would not be suitable for an omnivorous species such as human newborn?

Pinkuss

Weird, who would have thought that an unnatural and new-age eco-hipster diet would not be suitable for an omnivorous species such as human newborn?

Ta for the offensiveness. Point well made etc...

I do get we're omnivores but we don't live as such and we live in a world with unnecessary cruelty for the sake of a meal.

I'm a vegan. I'm not malnourished. There are ways to make up for deficiencies in B12/D rather easily.

I think these people are just stupid parents. If you can't tell that your child is lethargic and their body is failing, then you are probably shitty parents. Don't blame veganism for the actions of stupid people.

Zaptruder

Banned
If you're going to be a vegan, make sure you know how to manage your nutritional intake.

Nutritional intake comes easy when you don't limit yourself to things you eat. It becomes much harder when you remove entire food groups.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

Too much ignorance. Vegan diets have been there for thousands of years. Try again next time.

entremet

I'm a vegan. I'm not malnourished. There are ways to make up for deficiencies in B12/D rather easily.

I think these people are just stupid parents. If you can't tell that your child is lethargic and their body is failing, then you are probably shitty parents. Don't blame veganism for the actions of stupid people.

I think the point here is that growing infants have much different nutritional requirements than adults.

They also suffer more if those nutritional requirements aren't met.

As the article said, the mother was nutritionally deficient herself, but being an adult, the stakes aren't as high compared to a growing infant, where nutritional requirements are paramount.

I wonder, is there anyone here that grew up in a vegan diet from infancy here?

According the the literature from med professionals, you can do a vegan diet for infants, but you need to supplement aggressively.

Too much ignorance. Vegan diets have been there for thousands of years. Try again next time.

Vegan? No. B12 is an essential nutrient and only available in animal products.

Vegetarian? Yes.

Pinkuss

I think the point here is that growing infants have much different nutritional requirements than adults.

They also suffer more if those nutritional requirements aren't met.

As the article said, the mother was nutritionally deficient herself, but being an adult, the stakes aren't as high compared to a growing infant, where nutritional requirements are paramount.

I wonder, is there anyone here that grew up in a vegan diet from infancy here?

According the the literature from med professionals, you can do a vegan diet for infants, but you need to supplement aggressively.
They do Vegan baby food which of course contains all required nutrients. And the extra stuff is easy past that with nutritional yeast, eating well yet.

And when you go to 'real' food lots of it has added B12, Vitamin D3 etc.. it's quite hard to be deficient shockingly unless you're picky.

entremet

They do Vegan baby food which of course contains all required nutrients. And the extra stuff is easy past that with nutritional yeast, eating well yet.

I believe it. It seems here that they so into "natural" foods, that the kid never got any fortified baby foods. He was low in iron, which is fortified in many baby foods.

I'm sure vegan baby food is fortified, but the fed him veggies and nutritionally deficient breast milk.

Pinkuss

I believe it. It seems here that they so into "natural" foods, that the kid never got any fortified baby foods. He was low in iron, which is fortified in many baby foods.

I'm sure vegan baby food is fortified, but the fed him veggies and nutritionally deficient breast milk.

And thus stupidity is to blame not Veganism.. most Vegans know that shit and aren't all into the natural side; it's all about the reduction of cruelty etc.

ngower

Yes, growing children and grown adults have differences in nutritional needs, but my point remains: if you can't tell that your child is deprived, to the point where he can neither crawl or sit up, there is a stark deficiency in your parenting abilities.

Further, it's known that children and pets struggle on vegan diets and require extreme attention, and likely some medical testing, if they can maintain a vegan diet at all. So the fact that there wasn't any consultation with a medical professional—just to check on nutrition levels—is alarming.

Again, bad parenting over bad diet.

entremet

This is untrue. Many vegan foods are fortified with B12 sourced from bacterial cultures.

Not commenting on the poor parenting shown in that story, just clearing up a common misconception. :)

You're correct. But as I mentioned before, they were going super "natural" which ironically made the condition worse.

Yes, growing children and grown adults have differences in nutritional needs, but my point remains: if you can't tell that your child is deprived, to the point where he can neither crawl or sit up, there is a stark deficiency in your parenting abilities.

Further, it's known that children and pets struggle on vegan diets and require extreme attention, and likely some medical testing, if they can maintain a vegan diet at all. So the fact that there wasn't any consultation with a medical professional—just to check on nutrition levels—is alarming.

Again, bad parenting over bad diet.

This I will never get. I remember reading about a vegan cat that almost died of malnourishment. Cats are carnivores! Again, I respect people's ethical choices, but don't forget that biology is a thing.

Care to elaborate, or you just in it for that sweet, juicy post count?

They couldn't tell that something was wrong even though the kid couldn't even crawl or sit up anymore. In my opinion it is a sign of stupidity. Veganism doesn't condone malnourishing babies. Vegan diets have to be carefully considered.

Carcetti

Ta for the offensiveness. Point well made etc...

I do get we're omnivores but we don't live as such and we live in a world with unnecessary cruelty for the sake of a meal.

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but I kinda agree here. That's why I try to at least minimize the suffering of animals I do eat. Eggs should be produced as humanely as possible, and deliberately cruelly made foods such as shark fin soups or foie gras should be banned.

They should get their child taken away from them, this is as bad if not worse than those parents who let their kids drink soda from a bottle.

entremet

They should get their child taken away from them, this is as bad if not worse than those parents who let their kids drink soda from a bottle.

To be fair, they decided to feed the kid a more omnivorous diet. Not sure what their future plans after that.

They were not being malicious, but they clearly didn't educate themselves.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
This was a subplot on an episode of House 10 years ago. Sad to see it actually happen.

it is also in a recent movie
MV5BMTkxMTg5Mzg2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjMzNTA4NTE@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

ngower

They couldn't tell that something was wrong even though the kid couldn't even crawl or sit up anymore. In my opinion it is a sign of stupidity. Veganism doesn't condone malnourishing babies. Vegan diets have to be carefully considered.

Uh...I think we're in agreement, then?

And on the topic of parents forcing diets on their children, it might not be militantly enforced, but we definitely eat pretty much as we're told/as our parents cook for us. I grew up on fast food 3-4 times a week, and when it wasn't fast food, it was garbage meat or frozen processed veggies covered in cheese and butter. I started changing the way I ate as I grew up, but I'm lucky I didn't turn into a giant cow given the way I ate.

Ceres

Banned
Does Italy have their own recommendations of pediatric appointments for a baby? I find it hard to believe they had someone aware of what these parents were doing for 5 fucking months and didn't smack some sense in them. Any changes my sister makes from the "norm" she makes sure to check in with their pediatrician. Regardless of what the diet of the mom was, breast milk alone isn't enough of a diet for a baby after 6 months.
And just because your baby doesn't want vegetables when you try it the first time you don't just give up.

entremet

Does Italy have their own recommendations of pediatric appointments for a baby? I find it hard to believe they had someone aware of what these parents were doing for 5 fucking months and didn't smack some sense in them. Any changes my sister makes from the "norm" she makes sure to check in with their pediatrician. Regardless of what the diet of the mom was, breast milk alone isn't enough of a diet for a baby after 6 months.
And just because your baby doesn't want vegetables when you try it the first time you don't just give up.

Vegetables weren't going to do anything for his nutritional deficiencies.

Uh...I think we're in agreement, then?

And on the topic of parents forcing diets on their children, it might not be militantly enforced, but we definitely eat pretty much as we're told/as our parents cook for us. I grew up on fast food 3-4 times a week, and when it wasn't fast food, it was garbage meat or frozen processed veggies covered in cheese and butter. I started changing the way I ate as I grew up, but I'm lucky I didn't turn into a giant cow given the way I ate.

Yeah we're in agreement. When someone quotes a post and just writes "." it's like writing "+1" or "this" or "100% agreed", etc.

I thought you were against short posts and wanted me to elaborate even though I was agreeing with you...

Ceres

Banned
Vegetables weren't going to do anything for his nutritional deficiencies.

No but it tells a story that these people aren't really of the right mind to actually care for a child based on this from the article. Even with fully nutritional milk, the baby eventually would have had issues without any solid foods.

Mr Federico said the baby's parents had put him on a vegan diet once he began to eat solid foods.

"But the little boy refused to eat the vegetables they were giving him," he said. "And so the parents returned to giving him just breastmilk, which is totally inadequate by six months."

I was replying to his first statement.

Outside one poster being snarky, I'm not seeing anyone attack vegans or vegan diets here.

Agreed. This has actually been one of the more civil discussions on the matter. :)

(Eats vegan the majority of the time, but sitting down for a brunch of chicken and waffles right now).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Our kid is 4 and been a vegetarian since he was born. Never had any issues and our pediatrician said it's absolutely fine.

My 11 and 9 year old are also life long veggies. Not a single health issue.

They do eat cheese and milk though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but because she has an adult body and intake it's probably a non-issue.

Oh, it's definitely an issue. Or, I should say, it will become an issue down the road.

My 11 and 9 year old are also life long veggies. Not a single health issue.

They do eat cheese and milk though.

That's a pretty massive "though."

I think it's best to feed the child the healthiest diet you can for a being that needs to grow quite a lot, and let them make their own mind up on veganism when they're at a suitable age to do so.

The problem is that for a lot of people who follow a specific diet with a name, it's often very difficult for them to accept that they're solution is not the healthiest diet possible. They probably wouldn't be following it if if they hadn't convinced themselves it's the absolute best. Differences in nutritional needs for babies and adults is probably a bit too much nuance.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

A quality idiotic post. Please try harder next time.

Pinkuss

From vegetable proteins and fats? It's not the same.

Lots of it is bacterially grown etc.

I've never had an issue in 10 years (plus 15 before that being Veggie), have a high energy level, high iron levels and my muscles annoyingly look rubbish in skinny jeans.

And most of all I'm doing my best to reduce cruelty.

Mecha

I'm Vegan and I'm torn to if I'd raise a child Vegan (I'd probably at least do Vegetarian till they could make up their own mind as happened with me).

However it's negligence, not Veganism that's caused this. You can get mainstream brands of dairy free baby food, with all they need etc and there's suppliments etc.

Yep, there are many parents who feed their kids a vegan diet without any issues.

ngower

Yeah we're in agreement. When someone quotes a post and just writes "." it's like writing "+1" or "this" or "100% agreed", etc.

I thought you were against short posts and wanted me to elaborate even though I was agreeing with you...

Oh. I've never read the "." as that. Always saw it as sort of a jab at whatever is being quoted. I'm bad at the internet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of it is bacterially grown etc.

I've never had an issue in 10 years (plus 15 before that being Veggie), have a high energy level, high iron levels and my muscles annoyingly look rubbish in skinny jeans.

And most of all I'm doing my best to reduce cruelty.

The production of plant food for human consumption involves no shortage of death and destruction, too. We've all got to kill to live, whether directly or indirectly, and I strongly disagree that Vegans or those who follow a vegetarian diet have any kind of moral high ground when it comes to net suffering.

The production of plant food for human consumption involves no shortage of death and destruction, too. We've all got to kill to live, whether directly or indirectly, and I strongly disagree that Vegans or those who follow a vegetarian diet have any kind of moral high ground when it comes to net suffering.

The production of meat causes more destruction to the planet than the production of plant food for human consumption. (Hint: What do you think cows and pigs eat? That's right, plants.)

If everyone on Earth were a Vegan, there would be less destruction of plants than today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom