• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety - Oscars: Record Six Black Actors Nominated, Diversity Improves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice on how to proceed in the basement? I got the scorpion key and about 42 handgun rounds but
there are just too many of these black mother fuckers.

Takes me normally seven rounds each.

Edit: WOOOOOOW I MEANT TO POST IN THE RESIDENT EVIL 7 THREAD JESUS FUCK

OMG. LOL

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That number is actually really good.

There's 20 actor/actress spots. 6 out of 20 is 30%. That's an amazing statistical outlier based on on the fact that black Americans only make up 12.6% of the population.

What needs to be done is to have more black people be in roles that make them nominatable for best actor/actress, roles where they aren't playing stereotypical oscar bait role, and a lot more diversity on the side of the directors seat, editing, cinematography, sound, visual design.

I hope there is more diversity for other minorities as well.

shira

Any advice on how to proceed in the basement? I got the scorpion key and about 42 handgun rounds but

charm_laugh.gif

Merc_

LMAO That post with this subject is amazing.

There's the upcoming film adaptation of the best-selling novel "Crazy Rich Asians" by Warner Brothers directed by Jon Chu. It will have an all Asian to Asian American cast and I think it's commercial success in both domestic and international markets will have ramifications on future films and the casting of Asian Americans. I'm rooting for it to be good and hope it does well.

Alienfan

That's great, but if I remember correctly, the controversy wasn't just about the lack of black nominations but more importantly the lack of diversity on the voting board that lead to the predominantly white nominations list. How diverse is the committee this year?

The Kree

Banned

My sides.

aadiboy

Variety - Oscars: Record Six Black Actors Nominated, Diversity Improves

giphy.gif

T.O.P

Banned

I'm crying, fuckkkkk

CloudWolf

Props for not just editing our the entire post. This is hilarious.

Fliesen

This.

I'm sure the whole #oscarssowhite thing had a huge impact on both Oscar campaigning and voting behaviour. I doubt films like Moonlight and Hidden Figures would have gotten the quite the push they got some other year.

The true test is really the next year and the year after that.

aye. Not that not every single actor listed deserves their nomination, but i feel like - this year more than any other - Hollywood is all about stroking their own ego and about celebrating how progressive they are. See the record nominations for the masturbatory La La Land and their more diverse (i.e. 'nominate some black actors') nominations.

I can't blame them. I feel like Hollywood as a whole is super bummed out about the fact that all their 'campaigning' couldn't prevent a Trump presidency. - they realized that they grossly overestimated their real world influence. :/

IbukiLordSA

Probably because there were black actors deserving on the nomination, don't think it has anything to do with anything else really.

I can't believe people are or are not nominated based on color but actually based on performances.

Here is hoping Denzel walks away with another win.

thenexus6

n6kO8Lm.png

lmao

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yet another example of "Diversity" in entertainment meaning black people, as Latinos and Asians get the shaft same as always. It is a big reason why it rang so hollow when people protested last year and celebrate this.

...well you gotta start somewhere.

Probably because there were black actors deserving on the nomination, don't think it has anything to do with anything else really.

I can't believe people are or are not nominated based on color but actually based on performances.

The Oscars have never been a meritocracy, that's a myth. Hollywood has a problem with favouring white people over non-white people. Surely, you're not colour blind.

Talent Doesn't Win Oscars, Money Does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRpb_E0jPc

Don't believe that this year it's better in diversity just because there were better non-white performances. There are very few non-white studio execs, casting agents, producers, directors, screenwriters, etc input on the ground level that compound this #OscarsSoWhite issue when it comes to Hollywood output.

deli2000

Post of the goddamn year. Somebody frame this.

Stop it, The Academy isn't some neutral voting block. It's primarily filled with old, white, heterosexual men as members and you're naturally going to get a bias from such a homogenous demographic. It's the reason why Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture in a year where Do The Right Thing wasn't even nominated in that category, despite most critics believing it was not only the best movie of the year but one of the best of that decade.

Now, do I think last year was necessarily indicative of such bias that left Black actors snubbed? On the whole, not really. The only major snub was Beasts Of No Nation and the performances of the lead kid and Idris Elba. Now since that was a Netflix film and they didn't do the standard campaign for it, I can understand the politics onto why that film wasn't considered.

However, the pressure from the #Oscarssowhite has made the Academy reevaluate themselves and they have opened their membership to a record number of women and people of color as well as studios collaborating with Universities studying their numbers in order to increase diversity.

Infinite

Stop it, The Academy isn't some neutral voting block. It's primarily filled with old, white, heterosexual men as members and you're naturally going to get a bias from such a homogenous demographic. It's the reason why Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture in a year where Do The Right Thing wasn't even nominated in that category, despite most critics believing it was not only the best movie of the year but one of the best of that decade.

Now, do I think last year was necessarily indicative of such bias that left Black actors snubbed? On the whole, not really. The only major snub was Beasts Of No Nation and the performances of the lead kid and Idris Elba. Now since that was a Netflix film and they didn't do the standard campaign for it, I can understand the politics onto why that film wasn't considered.

However, the pressure from the #Oscarssowhite has made the Academy reevaluate themselves and they have opened their membership to a record number of women and people of color as well as studios collaborating with Universities studying their numbers in order to increase diversity.
They're also considering removing members who hasn't done shit in the industry for a while iirc

Gattsu25

Banned
Improves, but the lack of diversity is STILL a problem.

The non acting categories are still almost all white.

Editing has the first black woman (and second overall black person).
And no woman has ever been nominated for cinematography
I had to reread the bolded twice before I accepted that there wasn't a missing third word.

PaulBizkit

Good for Black actors. Now what about Hispanic, Asian, and other minority actors?

Is the rule "if they perform well enough, they'll get nominated" still applied? I mean, which hispanic and/or asian actors made oscar-worthy performances this year?

Anyways, this is not my battle. Your Name not being nominated is the true offense, at least for me lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

giphy.gif

Timbuktu

Is the rule "if they perform well enough, they'll get nominated" still applied? I mean, which hispanic and/or asian actors made oscar-worthy performances this year?

I guess it is harder if they don't get the opportunities, have roles or get casted as leads. There is Dev Patel though and he is nominated, would be amazing if he won. Some of the Japanese side characters in Silence are pretty good.

I guess it is harder if they don't get the opportunities, have roles or get casted as leads. There is Dev Patel though and he is nominated, would be amazing if he won. Some of the Japanese side characters in Silence are pretty good.

Silence never got any momentum once it was released and it bombing and not culturally impacting anything didn't help it either.

I still haven't seen Lion and definitely want to check out Dev Patel's performance.

sure. this is the 'year after' effect.

let's see how next year goes.

Is it, though? Is the problem that talented black actors aren't getting nominated, or that they aren't getting the roles in the first place? Because if it's the latter, you can't really fix that in a year.

Is it, though? Is the problem that talented black actors aren't getting nominated, or that they aren't getting the roles in the first place? Because if it's the latter, you can't really fix that in a year.

Exactly. These films were well into production before any controversy occurred.

26xBBi5IgnYzy3LO0.gif

WHAT?

nampad

Sure you did :p
6 x 7 = 42...somehow your math works.

Zero315

Banned

Creed? Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler should've been nominated, and Creed should've gotten a best picture nom.

Instead they chose to nominate Sylvester Stallone... and give Joy a best picture nomination.

Creed? Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler should've been nominated, and Creed should've gotten a best picture nom.

Instead they chose to nominate Sylvester Stallone... and give Joy a best picture nomination.

That movie was borderline same with Straight Outta Compton. I'm not saying they weren't award worthy, but they weren't the type of snubs worthy enough to protest against either. Despite great acting performances and technical execution, they were a fairly conventional sports drama and musical biopic in a year with strong competition. Like I said, the biggest snub was Beasts of No Nation; that's a masterpiece, but you can explain that away due to the politics of Netflix and the movie studios.

As for Joy, bear in mind the bias that already exists within the Academy. Nobody said this shit was going to be fair or on an even playing field.

Or you know, there's like 6% of us, and many of us are new immigrants or children of immigrants.

Maybe after we have a few generations of support, maybe after we form a stronger community of Panasian Americans (as opposed to being Chinese, or Korean, or Indian), maybe after another twenty or thirty years.

The problem isn't that other minorities aren't fighting for us, the problem is that it's under the guise of "diversity for people of color." If you wanna be like, oh except you people, and act like it's because "we" don't stand up and fight, then that's where people are going to ask questions.

Oscarsowhite isn't a problem, but when it's framed like that it's about minorities versus hegemony/white. Don't be surprised when other minorities think that you mean to include them, then. Don't be surprised when other minorities get heated because y'all choose to use the opportunity to mock other people of color. It'd be a lot less dogwhistling (to them) is you just went ahead and said Oscarnotblackenough, because that's what can it sounds like when someone says "we need more diversity for nonwhites but also who cares about browns and yellows they should fight for themselves." I'm not saying that's what it is, I'm saying that is often how it is perceived by nonblack minorities. Which, in turn, leads to resentment.

How many of you that say these things actually are in touch with Asian American communities in the US? *Regular* Asian Americans, not the ones that are already interested in social rights? Whether or not you care, there's definitely an existing current of "other minorities don't give a shit about us and will be racist towards us," with the conclusion that "all this euqality stuff is just about them, not others." It looks hypocritical as hell when people want understanding from one group but don't seem to care about giving that same understanding to the other. There's all sorts of justification for this, too, but regardless of whether or not you truly believe it, it just looks like the same kind of oppression and racism, though just from another group.

Sorry about the tangent, but I see the sentiment so much, even from progressives, so I'd like to address it where it comes up. There's a lot of "but why don't they just <do x>" without considering those people's perspectives.

That resentment has no basis in reality though regardless of how it might feel like. LOL @ the same type of "oppression and racism, through just another group." Anybody who thinks African Americans are oppressing other minority groups from opportunities in Hollywood has truly bumped their head. It's hilarious anytime Blacks have any type of progress that they've fought for decades, they now become the problem instead of the larger White dominated industry.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Anyways, this is not my battle. Your Name not being nominated is the true offense, at least for me lol
Better question: Which hispanic and or/asian actors were cast in any roles at all?

Good for Black actors. Now what about Hispanic, Asian, and other minority actors?

this

African-Americans have rightfully so voiced their concerns and have built a strong voice.

Sadly, many other minority groups have not and are almost invisible in media and the entertainment industry.

this

African-Americans have rightfully so voiced their concerns and have built a strong voice.

Sadly, many other minority groups have not and are almost invisible in media and the entertainment industry.

I mean it was beyond voicing their concerns and building a strong voice, it directly has to do with them consistently impacting and shaping pop culture in spite of them being Black. Due to segregation, Blacks had to build platforms for themselves to cultivate and develop talent and support their own and these platforms continue on today.

shira

I think China is going to have a huge influence in getting Asian cameos and Asian locales, but I don't think any Asian actors are going to get any Academy Awards anytime soon for mainstream awards.

Holy crap at that RE post... that bit under the spoilered part is gold... pure gold lol.

hki1IIs.gif

I think China is going to have a huge influence in getting Asian cameos and Asian locales, but I don't think any Asian actors are going to get any Academy Awards anytime soon for mainstream awards.

Hollywood is lazy, though. They're going to cast more Asian international superstars rather than give a shot to an unknown Asian American actor. That's going to be the biggest problem going forward. But Warner Brothers is giving a shot to the film adaptation of "Crazy Rich Asians" which if successful could help build more Asian American film stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom