• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety - Oscars: Record Six Black Actors Nominated, Diversity Improves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

I wonder if the Academy will ever fix it's issue with nominating Asian actresses. You had Rinko Kikuchi and only a couple of others that can be counted on one hand in the entire history of the Academy (with Miyoshi Umeki actually winning in 1958). It's not like there has been a lack of talent. Everyone was nominating Ziyi Zhang for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Memoirs of a Geisha. Gong Li has been incredible in just about every movie she has put out.

kswiston

I think China is going to have a huge influence in getting Asian cameos and Asian locales, but I don't think any Asian actors are going to get any Academy Awards anytime soon for mainstream awards.

Part of the problem is the language barrier if we are talking about Chinese/Korean stars in American movies. Unless the part is subtitled and set in Asia (like Rinko Kikuchi in Babel), or the actor is fluent in English, it's hard to deliver the sort of performance that gets American awards nominations.

Once in a blue moon, they will nominate a performance from a foreign language (non-Hollywood) film, but that's not typical. And when they do, it's usually a European star.

I wonder if the Academy will ever fix it's issue with nominating Asian actresses. You had Rinko Kikuchi and only a couple of others that can be counted on one hand in the entire history of the Academy (with Miyoshi Umeki actually winning in 1958). It's not like there has been a lack of talent. Everyone was nominating Ziyi Zhang for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Memoirs of a Geisha. Gong Li has been incredible in just about every movie she has put out.

Asian films have to make a qualifying run in America in order for their films to be considered in other categories outside of Foreign Language film. Most do not. Ziyi Zhang and Gong Li weren't nominated for Oscars.

Hollywood is lazy, though. They're going to cast more Asian international superstars rather than give a shot to an unknown Asian American actor. That's going to be the biggest problem going forward. But Warner Brothers is giving a shot to the film adaptation of "Crazy Rich Asians" which if successful could help build more Asian American film stars.

If the script samples they have for the open casting call are anything to go by, I'm expecting very little from that movie

If the script samples they have for the open casting call are anything to go by, I'm expecting very little from that movie

The movie doesn't have to be good (obviously it would help), it needs to be commercially successful to show there's a market for fully cast Asian American narratives and be a platform for individual stars of these films to be cast in much bigger budgeted Hollywood films.

jmizzal

I'm happy the top movies nominated with black actors and staff are not civil rights and slave movies.

Moonlight - Black family in modern times
Fences - Black Family in the 50's
Hidden Figures - Intelligent Black females

I'm happy the top movies nominated with black actors and staff are not civil rights and slave movies.

Moonlight - Black family in modern times
Fences - Black Family in the 50's
Hidden Figures - Intelligent Black females

Hidden Figures can easily be considered a civil rights movie.

Any advice on how to proceed in the basement? I got the scorpion key and about 42 handgun rounds but
there are just too many of these black mother fuckers.

Takes me normally seven rounds each.

Edit: WOOOOOOW I MEANT TO POST IN THE RESIDENT EVIL 7 THREAD JESUS FUCK

leo.png

Interesting avatar bro.

I'm on to you

I havent seen it, but at least its not advertised as one.

It's not the film's focus, but it's literally set during the civil rights movement era and it's in the backdrop of the main story plus there are parallel's with what the main 3 women have to overcome in order to achieve and the civil rights movement itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom