• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampyr |OT| Not Another Vampire Game

Hostile_18

Banned
Deadly Premonition and Alpha protocol two of my favouite games of all time mentioned on this page alone. I'm definitely in at some point.

Vampyr OT2: Does it suck!? 😂

Last edited:

J3nga

The more I play this game, the more I'm liking it.

The atmosphere is mesmerizing, and all NPCs (even the less important ones) are some of the most well developed characters I've seen in a game. The writing is on another level.

I really hope this game sells well!
Minor spoiler up until chapter 2:

Jonathan bites his sister in the beginning of the game and then in chapter 2 starts helping random peasants, shows no self-sorrow no nothing, I find that kind of writing on a another level from a bad perspective. Hope it gets better.

Minor spoiler up until chapter 2:

Jonathan bites his sister in the beginning of the game and then in chapter 2 starts helping random peasants, shows no self-sorrow no nothing, I find that kind of writing on a another level from a bad perspective. Hope it gets better.

I think trying to kill himself to get it over with, and failing, proves he had regret. Plus I think this is on the line with him fighting against the beast inside. I like how it references the Beast, akin to Vampire the Masquerade. So he's fighting against his vampyric instincts of needing to feed/survive/kill. But then you get to the point where he realizes he still has so much left to do and wants to save the city from the disease. It's kind of a like of a superhero origin story, you realize what you've done and move on to what you can do. Not what you were, but what you've become.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm a few hours in. Once you get through the first level, where you transition to the next part of town, it really opens up in terms of the narrative and things you can do. The complexity and depth of the game increases. I can see where if people are forming opinions off of the first section, which is very directed and limited in terms of what you can do, then yes I can see how that would disappoint people.

But I am liking it more as I play more. Not perfect, but pretty good actually. Graphics are serviceable, maybe could have been polished a bit more, but they do the job. The atmosphere and attention to vampire lore so far seems quite good, but to me the standout is the voice acting and depth of the writing. The voice actor for the main character is fabulous. Reminds me a bit of the male Imperial Agent from SWTOR - I think the term I used back then was "his voice sounds like silk running over razor blades". Smooth but edgy.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Uh, so, the combat here is pretty dire. Coming after God of War, I can't get into it. I love the world, characters and the rest, but they really needed to work more on the combat mechanics. Hoping it wins me over, but I doubt it. Is there some way I can avoid fighting enemies here?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Uh, so, the combat here is pretty dire. Coming after God of War, I can't get into it. I love the world, characters and the rest, but they really needed to work more on the combat mechanics. Hoping it wins me over, but I doubt it. Is there some way I can avoid fighting enemies here?
Second Skill on the bottom left of the skilltree.

As for the combat: It focuses on evasion and variating between regular attack, blood attacks, guns, and supers.

Dr. Reid's coat is a total throwback to Jensen's coat in DX: HR. (and I love it).

I love hub world rpgs. We need more. Very happy with the game so far.

Seanjohn

Neo Member
About 10 hrs in and love the lore and story. They are definitely fans of bloodbourne on the combat side but not as deep or rich but definitely fun and familiar to fans of the BB series.

Vampyr offers immediate replay value because of the narrative changes for choices. I’m currently playing my 1st play as a pragmatic and Darwin point of view. If you weak, a blight on society or don’t value your own life then I welcome you to the sweet embrace. I have abandoned Reid’s Hippocratic oath to do no harm.

All and all I’m am really enjoying the game especially once the vampire politics and machinations revealed themselves in the story.

Game is great, talk about your choices making an impact. Quite the decision, level up or sl1 run style it with the minor xp from enemies/main quests/side quests. Which doesn't compare to embracing someone you've, ironically, helped out and cured of some minor illness.

I've kinda blown it this run since it autosaves constantly (FYI btw) and I've embraced a couple, so I guess it's either go full vampire lord or some kind of gray/neutral path if that's possible.

Definitely seems like going a full good run would be the hardest.

Unity2012

I wish there was a crouch option when approaching enemies from behind or doing some stealth around enemies/npcs, etc., Also, I often find myself looking for a take cover option, lol. I am really enjoying this game. Playing home at night, in the dark, can double the already great atmosphere.

I wish there was a crouch option when approaching enemies from behind or doing some stealth around enemies/npcs, etc., Also, I often find myself looking for a take cover option, lol. I am really enjoying this game. Playing home at night, in the dark, can double the already great atmosphere.

The stealth vampire power is fairly generous compared to say the invis shield in Deus Ex: HR which drains your battery like mad. In this it doesn't drain your blood that fast. But it's still hard to get setup properly sometimes. Good to get out of battle as well though.

Yep, I completely agree.

I've just started chapter 2 and I've died three times in a row after being surrounded by 3 Skals who just triple team me and kill me in about 3 seconds.

Quite, quite pissed off.

Bluecondor

That is a tough boss fight if you are playing the no kill approach, as you will be seriously underleveled The key is to wait until he lunges and then only get in two hits at a time. If you try for more than two, he typically will land a big hit on you.

Denton

God fucking dammit this heat is killing me. I want to play Vampyr but it's hard with the scorching heat inside and sun burning through the blinds, considering the game takes place at night.

But what I played (the intro) I liked very much so far. Great music and atmosphere.

RavageX

I think I'm at the last boss, the game has been extremely enjoyable and plan to play it again.

Btw, did you guys hear they are doing a tv show?

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I think I'm at the last boss, the game has been extremely enjoyable and plan to play it again.

Btw, did you guys hear they are doing a tv show?
I finished Vampyr about 2 weeks ago and I loved it and the story was really good. Dialogue options and narratives were great also. Especially the fact that everyone you speak to has a motivation or some problem in their lives which is a lot like real life. I like the whole “everyone has a cross they bear.” take on the story. No one is innocent and no one is perfect. And the game could make a really good tv show. Hope it will do the game justice.

Last edited:

Denton

Man the way dialogues arent using the proper cinematic camera (like Witcher 3 etc) is a bummer, the dialogues are way more static and unengaging because of it. And I really do not get why skipping dialogue lines skips not just the single line spoken, but others after it as well, thus making the skipping dialogue feature useless.

Dunkelgrau

There is one thing I have not understood (I am in chapter 4 now):

Do I have to go to the other areas and heal the people? Or is it enough, when I do this, every time I am in the area?

I just got this game on sale finally. Been waiting to try it for months.

From what little I played, it seemed really good. One aspect of it completely ruined the game for me, though. The game wants to push you into a balance between killing some people to gain strength, but not too many. If you want to play the game on a completely "good" path, get ready to be under-leveled constantly, and have boss fights that take WAY longer than they should with never ending enemy health bars. No thank you.

The game punished me for wanting to play without killing any "innocent" people, and just wasn't fun. Should be much better for people who are willing to judge others as being "bad" enough for you to kill, but I didn't want to play that way.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From what little I played, it seemed really good. One aspect of it completely ruined the game for me, though. The game wants to push you into a balance between killing some people to gain strength, but not too many. If you want to play the game on a completely "good" path, get ready to be under-leveled constantly, and have boss fights that take WAY longer than they should with never ending enemy health bars. No thank you.

The game punished me for wanting to play without killing any "innocent" people, and just wasn't fun. Should be much better for people who are willing to judge others as being "bad" enough for you to kill, but I didn't want to play that way.
I haven't play the game but it makes perfect sense. You might not want to Kill innocent people but at end of day you still a Vampire and you need feed if not then you going to grow weak. Thats the entire dilemma behind becoming Vampire against your choice.

I haven't play the game but it makes perfect sense. You might not want to Kill innocent people but at end of day you still a Vampire and you need feed if not then you going to grow weak. Thats the entire dilemma behind becoming Vampire against your choice.

Yeah, it's kind of great in the context of the game. It ruined my experience with the game, but I wouldn't argue that it was the wrong way to go either. I think players who go in looking to walk the line between good and bad will enjoy it a lot. It just wasn't for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, it's kind of great in the context of the game. It ruined my experience with the game, but I wouldn't argue that it was the wrong way to go either. I think players who go in looking to walk the line between good and bad will enjoy it a lot. It just wasn't for me.
They could make it like if you don't feed then you Vampire powers grows weak and you need to rely on human weapons to defeat you enemies but If you do feed you Vampire powers grow stronger and you can use your own powers to defeat enemies.

Top Bottom