• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampyr |OT| Not Another Vampire Game

NovumAngel

Banned
og_image.jpg

Platform: Playstation 4 / Xbox One / PC
Developer: Dontnod Entertainment
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
Release Date: 5th June 2018
Genre: Action RPG
Price: €59.99 (EU PSN), $59.99 (US PSN), €49.99 (Steam)
Official Website: Link

Metacritic: 73
OpenCritic: 74 'Fair'

Review Thread: Link

PC Requirements:
  • Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-2130 (3.4 GHz)/AMD FX-4100 (3.6 GHz)
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 2 GB, GeForce GTX 1050 (Legacy GPU: GeForce GTX 660) / Radeon R7 370
    • Storage: 20 GB available space
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K (3.2 GHz)/AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (3.2 GHz)
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 4 GB, GeForce GeForce GTX 970 / GTX 1060 / Radeon R9 390
    • Storage: 20 GB available space
vampyr-ltd_detail.jpg

STORY
Vampyr takes place after the Great War, in 1918 London. The city has been devastated by conflict, and the Spanish Flu is spreading rapidly among its citizens.

While the British government struggles to rebuild the country, secretive groups led by supernatural beings are pulling strings with growing influence. Ancient vampire societies, occult scholars and relentless vampire hunters all compete for dominance in a shadowy conflict lasting a millennia.

Jonathan E. Reid is a talented surgeon and researcher, widely admired by his peers. During the Great War, he enlisted as a military doctor - partly to test his progressive theories on blood transfusion and organ transplantation.

As the war draws to a close in the Autumn of 1918, Dr. Reid is sent home. Returning to London and looking forward to being reunited with his family, Reid is attacked and loses consciousness in the street. His last memory is that of a strange figure murmuring a dark poem, making towards his neck.

At the beginning of Vampyr, Dr. Reid awakens, cursed with a terrible thirst for human blood. In his quest to find a cure for his vampiric condition, he tries to maintain a rational and scientific method – all while coming to terms with a strange, supernatural world.

GAMEPLAY
The player controls the game's protagonist Jonathan E. Reid, a doctor who was made into a vampire, and whose thirst for blood compels him to kill innocent people. To do this successfully, he must gather information about his targets—study and change their habits, collect clues, and maintain certain relationships by communicating with the sixty inhabitants of London, which serves as a fictionalised semi-open world built around hubs of seamless neighbourhoods tethered to other interlinking areas. It is possible to finish the game without taking a life, which best preserves the character's cover as a doctor but leaves him nearly incapable of levelling up. Killing no one unlocks one of four different endings. There is a skill tree that facilitates improvement of abilities, which is fueled by experience points gained from blood and, alternatively, investigation. The branches of the skill tree concern shadow, instinct, and social abilities.

If one so chooses, anyone in the game could be targeted, which will have consequences that affect the citizens of London. Reid can turn people into vampires and will only be able to enter a house with an invitation. Locals each have their different backgrounds, relationships and daily routines. If killed, they will impart to Reid their last thought. The "Mesmerise" ability can determine the behaviour of weaker targets, like coercing them into revealing important information or guiding them to less conspicuous areas so as to feed without resorting to combat. Feeding on human blood will unlock new vampiric powers in addition to providing nourishment. With crafted medicine, Reid can heal injured or sick victims, whom if eaten, will yield more experience points in the process; the rate of their affliction can be viewed using Reid's vampire senses. His senses will also detect blood. Each of the four districts will have a score based on the average health of its citizens.
WzFpNaF.gif

Reid can wield improvised melee weapons, such as a saw, as well as ranged weapons including the Webley Revolver. Being able to use three-hit combos, dodge rolls, and parrying, he can fight against other vampires like him—aristocrats who go by the name of Ekon; sewer-dwelling vampires known as Skals; the Vulkod—a stronger breed of vampire resembling werewolves; Nemrod—vampires who hunt their own kind; and the Guard of Priwen—a secret society of vampire slayers. Boss fights are featured, and in some cases mandatory. Reid is adaptable to other vampire features, like the claws of a Vulkod. Weapon improvement through crafting is made possible by looting items from the bodies of victims. While using vampiric powers in combat, the character's blood bar drains. This forces him to feed so he can immediately replenish his strength. With the vitality attained from killing a human being, he can boil the blood of his enemies, cast blood spears, throw mist bombs, and turn invisible. Reid uses his control of shadows to hide himself and strike at his opponents. He can use "Spring" to scale locations otherwise out of reach and charge more rapidly across gaps, also useful for avoiding combat altogether, which once upgraded can do damage on impact and grant temporary invincibility.

7c73ffa97bc1ca33d6e45de70bbe093c837495df.jpg

vampyr1l.jpg

vampyr-10.jpg

Vampyr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

GrayChild

Nice OP. Do we know when the reviews are coming?

In less than 5 hours.

Anyways, waiting for my PC version preorder. I don't expect something very polished or AAA quality, but rather a unique title with a lot of heart put in it.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I didn't watch the whole stream but came across the part where the guy couldn't enter the house unless he was invited in. Love that attention to detail, I hope that is representative of the full game.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Quoting myself from another thread

Finished it today (Sunday), got it on Friday. I am very fond of it. Good Story. Refreshing Vampire Lore to uncover. Game takes pretty long to complete.
Plays almost like bloodborne (less refined combat) but with heavy story and RPG mechanics. Awesome plot twists are also included.
Those choices you have to make are really unnerving because things never turn out as you expected. You think choice A makes sense, nah due to some unforeseen consequences all you hoped for turned out different. And since the game uses autosave you can’t go back.
Really refreshing and awesome.

ickythingz

Banned
If the bloodborne aspect is true then I'm buying tonight. You better not be lying lol.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Wait... did people actually expect this game to match Soulsborne's combat system?!

Last edited:

JCK75

I'm waiting for those reviews but I'm extremely interested in this game.
I still hold the VTM games as some of the best of all time, and while I'm sure this is nothing like those it still looks great.

I'm waiting for those reviews but I'm extremely interested in this game.
I still hold the VTM games as some of the best of all time, and while I'm sure this is nothing like those it still looks great.
wait. VTM = Vampire The Masquerade?

You'll feel completely at home with this title. IT SUCKS LORE FROM VTM LIKE IT'S BLOOD

Unity2012

Thank you for creating the OT NovumAngel NovumAngel
I watched a bit of the developers stream on Twitch this morning and got me more excited; there were lots of different ways to approach our goals. Hoping it unlocks at 9PM Pacific or earlier since I see other people playing it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If the bloodborne aspect is true then I'm buying tonight. You better not be lying lol.
Well don’t expect absolute Souls Like combat. It is similar as you also have these evasive maneuvers like Bloodborne which allow you to zap around your enemy. Stamina management is also similarly vital to keep alive. You don’t have that Health Absobtion Functionality like BB, but can suck blood in combat if you stun an enemy. No Visceral Attacks, but guns can also help to stun enemies until the collapse for you to move in to attack them with your biting attack.
Even the Torch Enemies have similar defensive movements as in BB when they wave the torch and yell “Away! Away!”

Last edited:

GrayChild

First official review from Dualshockers (a bit earlier than expected):

https://www.dualshockers.com/vampyr-review-ps4/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

8.5/10

Vampyr is a great experience. Its fun story will keep you intrigued for hours upon hours, and refined and simple gameplay will keep you hooked for even more. While the game does suffer from a few bugs and texture problems here and there, it doesn’t stop it from being a terrific game, one might even call it a sleeper hit. If you’re looking for a long game to sink your teeth into during the game’s industry’s normal summer lulls, then this might be perfect for you.

It says reviewed on Playstation 4. I wonder if the Pro alleviates any of the graphical issues.

I think I want this, not sure whether to go PC, or not.

Last edited:
In what way?
Looks very very choppy and seems to drop framerate a lot. It's probably more the fact that I'm so used to playing/seeing 60+fps that just about all 30fps gameplay seems so bad. ACG's review shows mostly PC footage and the bit of console footage shown looks like molasses in comparison.

Last edited:

Makariel

Dan Weissenberger from GameCritics likes it, that is reason enough for me to give the title a shot :)

I'm kind of expecting some technical issues and can ignore them. Been happily playing Alpha Protocol as well, even though it was very janky in places, which was another title with very mixed reviews.

Only question is if I should get it for PS4 or PC?

GrayChild

Managed to play for about an hour, already loving it.

If you're on the fence about this one, don't hesitate. This is a rough gem that will be remembered and talked about years from now. This generation's NieR and Deadly Premonition. All technical faults and imperfect combat system (which is still perfectly serviceable) are fully compensated by... literally everything else.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Vampyr is my sleeper hit for the first half 2018.
Honestly, if you are a fan of vampires and narative rpgs then this is for you.

Yeah I was really on the fence but having seen gameplay, I'm down.

Combat looks like Witcher 3 and I simply love combat in that game.

Last edited:
Just got it on my Xbox 1 X installed and patched up. 7gig day 1 patch FYI.

I like the intro disclaimer. Starting it up now.

Edit: Badass so far, feels like Deus Ex: HR but a Vampire game. Loving it.

You can eat rats like Bloodlines

Last edited:

GrayChild

The more I play this game, the more I'm liking it.

The atmosphere is mesmerizing, and all NPCs (even the less important ones) are some of the most well developed characters I've seen in a game. The writing is on another level.

I really hope this game sells well!

Goddamnit impressions definitely selling me the gm and I'm about to preload it on the X..but why some the reviewers ripping it apart to pieces with scores like 5/10 or worse..it can't be that bad.

RavageX

I'm trying out the game and I find it very interesting. It's easily holding my attention, and as usual I'd say you have to try it for yourself, can't trust reviews hardly.

Instead of simply reviewing a game, you have people adding their own beliefs on real life nonsense into their reviews, coming up with some stupid reason on why a game is amazing or bad, instead of focusing on the game itself. These people need to stay away from "game journalism".

Can't stand it....

Review the game. You don't like vampires, then review some other game or keep your dislikes to yourself and review it without prejudice.

I'm sorry, I just see reviews for games all over the place, with high or low scores as a way to get people to read why they gave a game the score, only to find the "review" to be focused on something else entirely.

Last edited:
I'm trying out the game and I find it very interesting. It's easily holding my attention, and as usual I'd say you have to try it for yourself, can't trust reviews hardly.

Instead of simply reviewing a game, you have people adding their own beliefs on real life nonsense into their reviews, coming up with some stupid reason on why a game is amazing or bad, instead of focusing on the game itself. These people need to stay away from "game journalism".

Can't stand it....

Review the game. You don't like vampires, then review some other game or keep your dislikes to yourself and review it without prejudice.

I'm sorry, I just see reviews for games all over the place, with high or low scores as a way to get people to read why they gave a game the score, only to find the "review" to be focused on something else entirely.

You'll probably like this

https://savepoint.com.br/games/all-review-list/vampyr-review-the-grey-man/

Can't stand it....

A lot of reviewers want their reviews to be an "experience" rather than a service. It's why so many reviews are pompous jerkoffs.

bucyou

looks like fun, kinda reminds me of murdered sole suspect where it got average to poor reviews but i found it interesting

Top Bottom