• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve says Nintendo is the reason there's a market for OLED handhelds

LakeOf9

View: https://x.com/GenePark/status/1722676035328573716?s=20

image.png

"[The Switch OLED] definitely showed people that the fidelity of an OLED screen is just generally higher," Coomer said, adding that the Valve offices are littered with Switch OLED units. "It's just a great product from Nintendo that makes a ton of customers around the world super happy."

Washington Post

--

Saw this posted on a different forum, stole it from there. Anyway yes Switch OLED was the first OLED handheld where I felt the OLED benefitted the experience (I had a Vita OLED too but the mura effect on the screen really killed it for me) so I can see it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You misspelled Tetris. The GOAT pack-in game for a handheld... and the GOAT overall.

Tetris is best played as a competitive game against 2 of your friends in my opinion. I like the modern vs types like 99 and Puyo Tetris more. That being said, the fact it managed to reinvent itself and stay relevant and beloved 30 years after the fact is a testament to how fun the game is

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Makes sense. The OLED screen on the Switch is gorgeous, even at 720p. Makes such a huge difference compared to LCD. I’m really hoping the rumors of the Switch 2 not having an OLED panel aren’t true…

Makes sense. The OLED screen on the Switch is gorgeous, even at 720p. Makes such a huge difference compared to LCD. I'm really hoping the rumors of the Switch 2 not having an OLED panel aren't true...
Knowing Nintendo, they certainly want to earn every penny they can on every console... And they're the kind of people who make special edition consoles, because they know that their customers buy their console several times over thanks to these special editions...

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Nintendo isn't really competing with Valve, and I don't think Valve is competing with Nintendo. I think most people who love games will have both of these. And if it had the separate joy-con I might have thought about it.

Yep 👍🏻 traded in the launch switch for the OLED its gorgeous. But now it just stays in yhe dock. 😢
Would trade in Deck for that OLED if Gamestop would trade but they dont.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You got to give it up to the OG PlayStation Peter.

I have to continually shower valve for their efforts here. They were not really asked to even produce a handheld, or at least there wasn't a big loud proponent putting that pressure on them. Not only did they release a competent handheld, but they made it very affordable and expanded the PC market. They tapped into a sector which works in other countries like Japan. And you are opening up this PC market of thousands of games plus emulation plus whatever else you want to do and treat it like a computer.

Whatever the steam deck is doing, it was probably the dream of valve for other devices like steam machines.

PlayStation pita would only dream of doing something like this and Nintendo are a joke compared to what this beauty does.

Go_Ly_Dow

Can the Switch 2 please then release at launch with an OLED model - rather than unnecessarily release it 3-4 years after launch?

Better for battery, better for accurate colour, true HDR and overall visuals.

Last edited:
Ye but we talking about oled. The vita had OLED before it was cool. Nintendont didn't even get one until over half the lifespan
Because ever since the Wii, Nintendo has made very careful moves when it comes to the costs of console manufacturing. It’s part of the reason why they’ve been behind graphically. It’s also the reason the Wii U controller and the 3DS had the screens that they did.

I’m sure they were well aware of the OLED potential on portable screens but they most likely waited until the time was right for them to make a profit from it. If anything you should be more upset at Valve because they are paying attention to Nintendo and only Nintendo.

Ribi

Because ever since the Wii, Nintendo has made very careful moves when it comes to the costs of console manufacturing. It’s part of the reason why they’ve been behind graphically. It’s also the reason the Wii U controller and the 3DS had the screens that they did.

I’m sure they were well aware of the OLED potential on portable screens but they most likely waited until the time was right for them to make a profit from it. If anything you should be more upset at Valve because they are paying attention to Nintendo and only Nintendo.
That is what I'm upset about. Seems like a pat on the back for no reason

That is what I'm upset about. Seems like a pat on the back for no reason
It’s not for no reason though. My point about them only paying attention to Nintendo is the fact that they weren’t bringing up why Sony and Sega failed, to let the audience know that they won’t make the same mistakes if they ever decide to veer away from Nintendo’s playbook.

Deerock71

It and it’s overpriced proprietary memory were swept under the rug alongside the [REDACTED] where they belong.

Hence why we need a psp3 and not a [REDACTED] 2 (im partly joking of course)
Oops. Now Nintendo's chiming in on another thing which never existed. 😉

Makes sense. The OLED screen on the Switch is gorgeous, even at 720p. Makes such a huge difference compared to LCD. I’m really hoping the rumors of the Switch 2 not having an OLED panel aren’t true…

If the Switch 2 ships without OLED, I'll just wait until it ships with one. The Steam Deck OLED is going to show everyone how OLED should be the norm on all handheld gaming devices if the Nintendo Switch OLED hasn't already!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If the Switch 2 ships without OLED, I'll just wait until it ships with one. The Steam Deck OLED is going to show everyone how OLED should be the norm on all handheld gaming devices if the Nintendo Switch OLED hasn't already!
There are a few decent LCDs out there. Most notably, the screen on the Analogue Pocket is just incredible (though that’s partially due to its pixel density). But still, nothing compares to an OLED. I’m a total convert at this point. I’ll be pissed if Nintendo doesn’t ship with one.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yah its great Valve is learning what makes Nintendo's handheld so successful to apply to their own handheld.

Top Bottom