• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valorant/Riot Vanguard can now take screenshots of your PC screen without you knowing

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I used to play competitively for money and If I knew with high certainty that hackers couldn't go around this anti cheat software and the people running the software were reputable, I would be for this 1000%

xBlueStonex

Vanguard is straight up malware and is the one reason why I don't play Valorant. The fact they made it even worse is insane to me.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
is this a multiplayer problem that i'm too single-player to understand ?

on a more serious note, i would say it is not ok to take in-game screenshots without player's consent, but here the tweet is saying they can screenshot anything on your PC i.e any window other than the game itself ? How ? is there no Windows permission required to do this ? This is FUBAR

and then they wonder why piracy is a thing
It’s a rootkit that lives at the kernal level of the PC. It has unrestricted access to everything in your pc. Some rootkits can survive formatting of drives even. They can capture screenshots, voice, and keystrokes.

If that’s not bad Riot is owned like 98% by tencent who is a Chinese owned company, and according to Chinese law they are required to give any data the government requests.

Who decided what and how much data they give? Now imagine all your future games having this access to sensitive data. While this might sound far fetched it’s already happening and while it may start with very good intentions, we all know how this turns out in reality.

Never playing on of these games again. If your goal is to “control” all aspects of gaming in the name of security design an all cloud infrastructure.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Doesnt worry me one bit as long as it only happens while playing the game. It's sad that we need this kernel level shit to curb cheating, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's about time for them to make the reveal:

maxresdefault.jpg

And announce a release date.

DaGwaphics

If only you knew what Windows could already do to surveil you.

I choose to remain unaware.

I also try to do my part in fighting survellience by being as basic and boring of a subject as there gets. It's uncanny how well I fit my avatar. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Vanguard is a kernel level anti-cheat that has full 100% access to your PC.
And this is why I refuse to play MP games with that shit. Any sort of these go right to the console. It’s just asking to get hacked or get that data leaked.

Edit: Wait, this is Tencent. Can piggyback on anti-China sentiment in Congress and get this banned alongside TikTok! 😉

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Doubtful. Intrusive anti-cheat software aren't illegal as far as I'm aware. Nothing will come of this. I sacrificed my privacy for a better gaming experience, and deliberately ignored the fact I'd given them kernel level access. That's on me, not on them.
It could be against EU’s GDPR rules depending on what they do with the data. Especially if it goes outside EU.

simpatico

Online gamers, you guys asked for this. I'm annoyed every time I have to install some anti cheat shit because a game I'm playing has a MP component that adults care enough to complain about the hackers. I'm not a pro, but to have any shot at catching these cheats you really have to dig deep in an operating system. It's just online shooty games yall, if someone is cheating, have a good lol at it and hope he's not there in the next match. Don't start lobbying devs to make sophisticated anti cheat rootkits. I swear it's gonna be ok if the guy with an aimbot gets a 30:1 kd.

Soodanim

Gold Member
There's been plenty of articles about Apple going in to iPhones to check your photos.

https://www.rd.com/article/apple-scanning-photos/
Oh, that. I don't think that was ever implemented after the backlash, though I could be wrong.

For context for anyone else reading, Apple wanted to implement something to scan pictures being uploaded to iCloud to check hashes against a known database of illegal images. People kicked off and immediately started proving a point by syncing false positive images to iCloud, and the last I heard was that it wasn't implemented.

Oh, that. I don't think that was ever implemented after the backlash, though I could be wrong.

For context for anyone else reading, Apple wanted to implement something to scan pictures being uploaded to iCloud to check hashes against a known database of illegal images. People kicked off and immediately started proving a point by syncing false positive images to iCloud, and the last I heard was that it wasn't implemented.
Also, companies can go in to your console and remove digital games. I got a refund on Cyberpunk and MS removed it. They went right in to my system and deleted the game while also removing it from my owned games list.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That was not implemented. Apple backed out and stated this is dead.

Unknown?

Look up what Edward Snowden leaked about NSAs PRISM program. Apple was a willing participant.

Codeblew

Does it at least give you a warning beforehand that it is installing a rootkit? I would hope that windows also at least asks for admin permissions before installing any of this shit.

I would never install anything like this on my PC, especially for a game. This is how people get PWNED.

Last edited:
Top Bottom