• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Coal Plant Closures Likely To Eliminate 30 Million Tons Of Annual Coal Demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the saga of the death of coal, an interesting article was posted today about Coal Plants.
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/24/us-coal-plant-closures-likely-eliminate-30-million-tonnes-annual-coal-demand/
The United States is closing 46 coal-fired generating units at 25 electricity plants across 16 states over the next few years, transitioning to natural gas or intentionally closing them, and a new report shows that this will likely result in eliminating about 30 million tons of annual coal demand by the end of 2018.

The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) published its new research brief last week, working step-by-step through the implications inherent in the expected coal-fired generating closures over 2017 and 2018 (the full list can be seen at the bottom). The brief concludes that the expected closures will eliminate about 28.2 million tons of annual coal demand by the end of 2018, worth nearly $1.1 billion (2016 prices).

The plant closures currently expected over the next few years are across 16 states — Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Coal producers in the Powder River Basin of Wyoming and Montana, and those in the Illinois Basin are expected to be the hardest hit — with two thirds of the expected annual demand losses predicted to stem from those two coal regions.

geomon

donald-trump.gif

.JayZii

Banned
Good thing Trump's bringing those jobs back. Can you believe Hillary Clinton implied we should be transitioning coal workers to something else since the industry is going away? How embarrassing.

Well republicans don't need govt help. They'll figure out a way to get back on their feet and find new jobs all on their own.

TyrantII

I'm ok with this.

We don't have much use for whales and whalers anymore, and the world went on.

Let's do this with gasoline and oil next.

Thank God we are rolling back regulations to get these coal mining firms to keep firing staff made obsolete by technological advances while increasing their executive level compensation. Coal jobs are never coming back.

I'm ok with this.

We don't have much use for whales and whalers anymore, and the world went on.

Let's do this with gasoline and oil next.

Well if we ignore Asian countries, specifically Japan. Though it seems to be more of the older and wealthy crowds keeping the shark fin, whaling and dolphin hunting alive (IE The Cove).

The only way Trump could have saved coal was to kill fracking.

Which he wasn't going to do. This will continue. And thank fuck.

ZOONAMI

We still gonna bring back all that coal though eh trump?

Fucking idiots running the show. We need massive investment in retraining coal workers on wind and solar, not deregulation of coal. They are gonna get killed by wind and solar regardless.

Aaron

Bet you Republicans will suffer no repercussions from this in any general election. Even coal miners will continue to blame Democrats.

HoodWinked

from what i see both sides were wrong. regulation weren't needed to kill coal and rolling them back didn't make coal somehow relevant.

I'll enjoy watching Trump voters in abject poverty as they still try to bolster their golden god.

At the end of the first term the only thing that Trump will be able to tell them is "The supreme court, yall!" and even then, Gorsuch is someone to side with corporate interests.

Perhaps if the reality sets in for all those so-called coal voters, we can move the conversation to a place that actually makes sense for them, and future generations....

Yeah.

Xe4

Banned
cold in her choice of words when she laid out the reality and the truth
Probably unwise in terms of a campaign, but I'm glad she did that. Someone has needed to for a while. Coal miners and coal plant operators need to understand they're working in a dying industry. Covering their ears and pretending it's not true won't change anything.

Hopefully, her words made at least a few people in the industry realize she was right. Understanding that there is a problem is the first step to start fixing it.

Probably unwise in terms of a campaign, but I'm glad she did that. Someone has needed to for a while. Coal miners and coal plant operators need to understand they're working in a dying industry. Covering their ears and pretending it's not true won't change anything.

Hopefully, her words made at least a few people in the industry realize she was right. Understanding that there is a problem is the first step to start fixing it.

it was a campaign blunder and it was politically stupid... even if it was the truth

Dirca

A lot of you seem to think it's a simple transition for the plant workers to lose their jobs at a fossil plant and then seamlessly transition to natural gas. It doesn't work like that. I worked at a fossil plant for 6 years as an electrician. When my plant closed, a lot of people lost their jobs....because the natural gas plants are an entire different beast. You may be just an electrician or mechanic, or operator at a fossil plant, but at natural gas, you do all 3....and you're under intense training for 2 years. That may be ok for a younger employee that has time to spend with the company and is more savvy with learning new fields, but older employees that have done one job for 30+ years are screwed and are not hired. Think before you applaud the loss of jobs and assume it's easy to jump from one facility to the next. For the record, even though I was still an employee, I still had to apply and interview for a nuclear job. I've been there 5 years and I'm still training every few months.

Well republicans don't need govt help. They'll figure out a way to get back on their feet and find new jobs all on their own.

It's hilarious because he gave them a little glimmer of misplaced hope when he gutted EPA / coal regulations. Of course removing those regulations will do nothing to bring jobs back because of GAS and the cost of other renewables coming down. On top of that he's proposed that in his new budget we should cut the Appalachian Regional Commission to save money. The one federal piece of funding actually responsible for helping people get jobs in the area.

Shoeless

I wonder how Trump supporters that voted on coal issues feel about this. Does loyalty to Trump cause a 1984-ish DoubleThink phenomenon where they go "Hey, great! I too have always hated coal, and am 100% behind this! Make coal obsolete! If Trump is against this, so am I, despite the fact that most of my financial well being was centered around this, but you know what, I'll just pretend it wasn't, because supporting Trump is more important!"

Or do specific interests finally kick in and make these people think "I was lied to and I'm not okay with that"?

It's hilarious because he gave them a little glimmer of misplaced hope when he gutted EPA / coal regulations. Of course removing those regulations will do nothing to bring jobs back because of GAS and the cost of other renewables coming down. On top of that he's proposed that in his new budget we should cut the Appalachian Regional Commission to save money. The one federal piece of funding actually responsible for helping people get jobs in the area.

This is what I was thinking about before. I just didn't know the name of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom