• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaz

From what I've read you don't need to mod the PC Engine, there are cables. How do I make sure my TV can handle a 240p signal?

You need a Wii with 240p test suite or a PS2 with a PS1 game. Both output 240p over component so are a good test whether the Component encoder box will give you a satisfying image or not.

Khaz

okay these are some fine suggestions, that sounds useful. you guys really wanna make it a "Retro Gaming Done Right" catchall and include audio stuff, too?

Retro gaming done right: the art of AV connections

Audio stuff wouldn't take much space. Where do interferences come from and how to get rid of them, how to get audio out of your Scart cable, maybe links to audio out mods, which consoles have Digital audio or can be modded for it. Then connect it to your favourite powered speakers or amplifier and you're good to go. As for which speaker or amp to choose, it's an impossible list to make. Is there an audiophile thread to link to?

JLynn

Found a 25 inch Philips CRT with both component and svideo in front of the dumpster outside my place. Aside from a few scratches on the screen it looks and plays good. This will be a placeholder until I get a Trinitron, Toshiba, or Panasonic CRT.

entremet

PVMs are nice, but sometimes I think we get tunnel vision about them.

They're awfully expensive and Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic made some really nice commercial grade CRTs that are cheap AF to free and more commonly available.

Still do want a Sony PVM/BVM, but I'm not gonna kill myself over one. Not to mention that pro monitors are gonna have more hours on them by default.

TeaJay

Well yeah, PVM's are kinda best in class, but especially here in Europe if you can get a nice Trinitron, you're pretty well off with that as well. Not to mention all the other quality TV's that come with RGB scart and a nice picture - like Panasonic TX-series and Philips too. I once had a Thomson that had just as good picture as a Sony.

PVMs are nice, but sometimes I think we get tunnel vision about them.

They're awfully expensive and Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic made some really nice commercial grade CRTs that are cheap AF to free and more commonly available.

Still do want a Sony PVM/BVM, but I'm not gonna kill myself over one. Not to mention that pro monitors are gonna have more hours on them by default.

And they're bigger. Would love a 27-incher myself.

Peltz

Consumer grade sets can often look just as good as PVMs especially if they have lower tv lines and you want a less scanline-heavy look as I sometimes do. Different screens look good with different games.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I checked the status of the gscartsw and saw this update today.

superg said:
JP21: Only 10 units ordered so far.
SCART: I plan to cutoff pre-orders next Sunday.
I guess if anyone plans to get one they should put in their orders this week.

IrishNinja

yeah, it may be the most sacrilegious thing ive said since that first day with the XRGB where i left it on 16:9 (...), but i'm getting way more use out of my giant trinotron vai RGB than i did my much smaller but well calibrated PVM, honestly

Bar81

Oh, god. Only 10? You fuckers are going to make me have to buy a new set of cables aren't you?

Don't look at me. I ordered two. It seems cleaner than my linkup of multiple Selecty21s and I hope some more people step up so he does the run and I can check it out.

Khaz

yeah, it may be the most sacrilegious thing ive said since that first day with the XRGB where i left it on 16:9 (...), but i'm getting way more use out of my giant trinotron vai RGB than i did my much smaller but well calibrated PVM, honestly

No matter what they say, size does matter.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

That's why I'm still waffling on what display I should get for my old school setup. A bigger screen is just going to be better.

TeaJay

That's why I'm still waffling on what display I should get for my old school setup. A bigger screen is just going to be better.

I don't actually agree here. I sometimes tried playing my retro consoles on my 40'' HDTV and some of them (Saturn, Megadrive) look awful whereas some (SNES, RGB AV Famicom) look pretty good. Every connection is on RGB. Personally, I wouldn't want to play my games on that big of a screen anyway. It kinda kills the immersion when Mario is suddenly huge, you know? Now, if I had a good upscaler, things would be fine on the picture quality front, but still, I don't know if I felt right playing games on that kind of TV.

Of course there are times where I'd wish my PVM was bigger, like when playing multiplayer games, especially with more than 2 people (like Saturn Bomberman). But everyone huddling in front of the 20'' monitor on the couch gives it sort of an old-school feeling as well.

JLynn

You may not need a PVM with that set on your hands.

First off, the model number is 25PT533S37C. No pics not just because of the aforementioned scratches on the screen, but I'm using it to test out my systems and new games.

And second, to me it is a no brainer between paying $200+ for a less than 19 inch PVM and paying $30 or less on a 27 inch consumer TV that has all the inputs I need. And after playing ten player Saturn Bomberman, it's difficult for me to settle for less.

Mega

Banned

I have to disagree. I had a great time being up at night playing RE2 on my 13" PVM, a couple feet from the screen. The first time I played was on a similar size screen. It's all personal preference but it's an experience that's not the same as sitting further back looking at a big screen.

I think all 1P games can be played very well, without anything lacking, on screens ranging from 13 to 20 inches if you're sitting near enough. That's one reason why I have had no interest in obtaining bigger PVMs, even when I had a 29" PVM right in front of me for only $20 (also the enormous weight and size!). You also get better CRT geometry than monitors and TVs at 25+ inches. It's like I said before, even with my 20" BVM... if the tube wasn't so fresh and the picture wasn't so phenomenal, I'd be content with my far more compact 13-17" CRTs.

I checked the status of the gscartsw and saw this update today.

I guess if anyone plans to get one they should put in their orders this week.

He'll open pre-orders again.

He takes pre-orders till he has a certain amount, then closes them and orders and makes them. Once they ship out he opens the pre-orders again.

Ashby

Anybody got any experience with the Panasonic BT-S1000N?

s-l1600.jpg

Might have a line on one for cheap.

Peagles

So it looks like the back of this "PVM" I'm looking at only has one BNC video input. Does that mean it doesn't support RGB? Are there PVMs that don't support RGB?

Do you know the model number? There are some that don't do RGB, yes. Sometimes they take RGB via the VTR connector but sometimes it's just another means to take composite.

Ashby

Hmm, I can't seem to bring up a manual even in the regular places. At 10" it'd probably look pretty good in composite anyway if the tube is still fresh.

Yeah, no dice finding a manual on my end either. I appreciate you looking! Would you know of any way to find out if I can get RGB through the VTR port once I get my hands on the thing? After you mentioned VTR I looked up SCART-to-VTR connectors and didn't see any.

Peagles

Yeah, no dice finding a manual on my end either. I appreciate you looking! Would you know of any way to find out if I can get RGB through the VTR port once I get my hands on the thing? After you mentioned VTR I looked up SCART-to-VTR connectors and didn't see any.

After a bit more reading I think it'd be unlikely the VTR port will do RGB. I've also never seen any VTR cables. I'd wait a bit though and see if someone more knowledgeable has something more to add though.

D.Lo

At 10" it's probably just a security monitor. No real need for RGB, you don't need perfect colours to see people stealing cigarettes from your store.

IrishNinja

No matter what they say, size does matter.

+1

I have to disagree. I had a great time being up at night playing RE2 on my 13" PVM, a couple feet from the screen. The first time I played was on a similar size screen. It's all personal preference but it's an experience that's not the same as sitting further back looking at a big screen.

I think all 1P games can be played very well, without anything lacking, on screens ranging from 13 to 20 inches if you're sitting near enough. That's one reason why I have had no interest in obtaining bigger PVMs, even when I had a 29" PVM right in front of me for only $20 (also the enormous weight and size!). You also get better CRT geometry than monitors and TVs at 25+ inches. It's like I said before, even with my 20" BVM... if the tube wasn't so fresh and the picture wasn't so phenomenal, I'd be content with my far more compact 13-17" CRTs.

at this point, i should probably mention i have a vision condition - so you can imagine why i value real estate even at a slight tradeoff, haha

to each their own, i have my PVM in the closet at the moment but i look forward to having the room for a setup for all 3!

IrishNinja

If it's a few bucks sure, but if you're paying three figures I wouldn't bite.

yeah, im sure this varies (much like PVM's seem to rain near some of ya'll, haha) but CRT's out here - even quality trinotrons/etc - can practically be found on craigslist for free, if not close to. three figures sounds ridiculous for one.

I just passed on a BVM because the guy selling, despite not really knowing what he had, was told it was worth a lot so was pushing for Mega Bucks.

I'm happy with my 20" Philips CRT for now.

Unless you're a JP21 peasant where he'll probably never make one again. :(

Big bump to this comment. I ordered 2. If anyone wants a JP21 version of the best RGB switch out there, this may be your last chance!

I think since everyone just went SCART because the few switches available before were such, and for awhile it was easier to source SCART cables the few who did go JP21 have kind of gotten screwed here. It is unfortunate.

I'm typing up some stuff for the new Official Thread. Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes with this, just thought I would try to contribute and help. So in the hopes of us not repeating info and multiple people doing the same thing, I figured I'd let you guys know what I was working on.

I'm putting together a list of as many consoles and their versions I can think of, to list the best video out connector they support both unmodded and modded (do you spell that with one d or two, I don't fucking know). I know there's some other sites with this info but I thought it might be nice to have it directly on the main page so people could have like a quick reference chart or something for it. (I'm sure Ill have some holes in there, like with the different models of Famicoms so if stuff is missing feel free to let me know and fill it in, same with the Japanese versions of the Master system)

The other thing I'm typing up is a Framemeister FAQ of sorts. Stuff like where it's best to get it from, how to update the firmware with english, what connectors it comes with and what you may need. I plan on including links to FirebrandX's profiles, ImplantGames' how to XRGB series, and I'll include MLiG's RGB masterclass playlists for people.

I'm getting started today and I HOPE to have at least an initial draft by the middle or later part of the week. (let me know who to get this to, has it been decided who's going to do the OT post?)

It'd probably be good to have someone do an FAQ type thing for B/PVMs and CRTs in general. Along with keeping what's there now showing the differences in connection quality and such.

That info is already available here?
http://retrorgb.com/systems.html

I know there's some other sites with this info but I thought it might be nice to have it directly on the main page so people could have like a quick reference chart or something for it.

I mean shit all the info in the OP is available other places, so do we want an OP that's just a series of links to other sites or do we want something that's quickly and easily digestible. I mean with some simple googling most of what's covered can be found on other sites and pages. I thought the point was to put some of the info in a quick and easily read place. There's a ton more info on the RetroRGB page than I plan on putting here. He's done an absolutely awesome job with that site. This would be a simple chart for people to look at.

entremet

RGB inputs on a commercial CRT? European set?

I mean shit all the info in the OP is available other places, so do we want an OP that's just a series of links to other sites or do we want something that's quickly and easily digestible. I mean with some simple googling most of what's covered can be found on other sites and pages. I thought the point was to put some of the info in a quick and easily read place. There's a ton more info on the RetroRGB page than I plan on putting here. He's done an absolutely awesome job with that site. This would be a simple chart for people to look at.
All good, looking forward to your chart 👍

Honestly I don't think there's any way we can go wrong with the OP. All the awesome info in this original OP will always be a click away. And questions will always come up. I would just suggest that we remember that many who visit the thread in the future will be as new to all of this as we once were, so the OP should at least be inviting for newbies, whether via link to the old OP, links to MLIG 100-level master class vids, link to RetroRGB, a really basic FAQ, or any combo of anything like that. So many great resources have come out since this thread began.

v0yce

So no cool BVM or XRGB mini or anything, but I went ahead and bought a Sony kv 34hs420 since it was $20 at Goodwill. (poor employee guy almost died helping me load it in my car)

My plan is

PS3 60GB - HDMI - for all Playstation stuff
Wii (modded?) - component - for all Nintendo stuff
Genesis/SegaCD/32X - component - (need to order a Genesis component cable)
OG Xbox - component

S video when I actually hook up my N64, SNES, etc. I was hoping it had VGA for Dreamcast but no luck so I'll probably keep that on a monitor.

Questions
Am I better off with PS2 through component for PS2 and PS1 stuff?
What's my best option for Saturn? Just S Video or is there an affordable SCART to Component solution that's recommended?

0EPzRUR.jpg

Peltz

RGB inputs on a commercial CRT? European set?
Probably converting to component.

Whoever makes the op, please reserve the first two posts as well for space reasons. The last OP was packed and we couldn't add any more info to it.

Nobody should post in it until the OP is able to secure posts #2 and #3.

We don't have to use both of them, but we should have them available to the OP just in case.

Can we all agree on this? And if Mega is posting the OP, he should post in big bold letters that no one else should post until he secures those spots in the first few minutes.

Peltz

So no cool BVM or XRGB mini or anything, but I went ahead and bought a Sony kv 34hs420 since it was $20 at Goodwill. (poor employee guy almost died helping me load it in my car)

My plan is

PS3 60GB - HDMI - for all Playstation stuff
Wii (modded?) - component - for all Nintendo stuff
Genesis/SegaCD/32X - component - (need to order a Genesis component cable)
OG Xbox - component

S video when I actually hook up my N64, SNES, etc. I was hoping it had VGA for Dreamcast but no luck so I'll probably keep that on a monitor.

Questions
Am I better off with PS2 through component for PS2 and PS1 stuff?
What's my best option for Saturn? Just S Video or is there an affordable SCART to Component solution that's recommended?

0EPzRUR.jpg
I'm double posting because I want to make sure my last post stands alone.

PS2 component is pretty great, but make sure you're using first party cables. For Saturn, you'll need an RGB SCART to Component transcoder.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't think I agree with the bigger = better idea.

While I love big displays, low res ones such as most CRTs look like ass from up close. And given that most of us won't have them in the living room like in the old days... well.

There's a reason most CRT arcades rarely went over 26". They looked way, way big. You'd only find bigger monitors in showcase cabinets. Granted, PVMs and the like look a bit better since they are razor sharp (I'd still do mean, ugly things for a NEC XM-29), but they are too large if you intend to play on them at computer monitor distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom