• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That's what everyone is hoping for. But isn't the most realistic expectation that Jon simply bit up farther than he could chew and was punished for it paying the ultimate price. Look I want Jon to not be dead but there are so many uncertainties to him being resurrected. Mel being strong enough, she's never done this before has she....or did she in the show, I know Thoros resurrected Beric in the books?

She hasn't in the book, but it stands to reason if Thoros can (who was basically characterized as a wild drunk maniac), then an incredibly devout priestess capable of making shadow demons can probably pull it off.

hoos30

I know, it's just...we could have gotten the Riverlands. People keep saying it would make for bad TV, but why? Do people hate shows like The West Wing because there's lots of talking without action? Bleh, I remember when people used to recommend the show for political intrigue, though it seems like tits and Dragons won out.

It's because the only thing that happens is inside Jaime's head.

Kaladin

I read the whole interview about Kit Harington being done. The first thing that came to my mind is, while yeah, that's a true wrap for him, Jon can still live on.

The Night's Watch burns their bodies so they don't become undead. They would most certainly burn Jon quickly, but not quick enough to avoid him warging into Ghost.

So Kit Harington may be true and done, but Jon Snow lives on.....in pog form.

Barzul

game-thrones-season-5-finale-jon-snow-leak.jpg

Fuck I didn't notice that. It does look like warging!

Definitely thought he was going to warg there even though, yeah, it wouldn't have made sense in the context of the show.

Instead, we get 10 seconds to watch the blood draining from his body!

My biggest problem with the show is that it feels like D&D believe they have an obligation to tits, shock, and blood. That without those they can't make the show good. When honestly the show was always at its best when there was lots of rich dialogue to chew on and digest. I feel like they think we're all idiots watching a circus.

I miss Season One.

Gnome

It's because the only thing that happens is inside Jaime's head.
Except not, he explicitly thinks aloud most of the time because he can in front of Ilyn Payne, can't see why show Jaime wouldn't confide equally in Bronn, he basically did this last season. Also, I'm fairly certain his taking back Riverrun wasn't in his head, nor were his talks with Blackfish, Edmure, and his aunt.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, the show is gonna be terrible next season. There were signs in season 4, but this year really showed DnD are hacks when they aren't working off source material. Watch the ratings dive towards the end of next season.

Gattsu25

Banned
I can see it now. Edd sneak's Jon's corpse to Melissandre and she promises she can bring him back.

She starts performing a ritual and it appears that nothing happened. Edd walks up to Jon and Jon reaches out, grabbing Edd's arm. Edd smiles and begins to cry at which point Jon opens his eyes and they are blue as ice and unseeing.

Arkeband

Banned
I read the whole interview about Kit Harington being done. The first thing that came to my mind is, while yeah, that's a true wrap for him, Jon can still live on.

The Night's Watch burns their bodies so they don't become undead. They would most certainly burn Jon quickly, but not quick enough to avoid him warging into Ghost.

So Kit Harington may be true and done, but Jon Snow lives on.....in pog form.

12.png

Paganmoon

Sand snakes killing Myrcella wasn't just out of revenge, you kill one of ours, we kill one of yours thing right? They want a war, an all out war.
Not exactly like Ellaria and Trystane were close, do you think the sand snakes would care if Trystane died, if it meant they would have their war to avenge Oberyn?

And I'll repeat my statement/question from a few pages back:

The immense amount of horsemen Stannis faces when he gets to Winterfell, it's his own army that's deserted and now fight for Boltons right? so it's not an army out of nowhere?

So many fucking cliffhangers

The show doesn't show any hope for the watchers. Something the book does (LSH, Jon uttering Ghost, Northern Conspiracy, Varys's plans, Dorne plans)

The two complaints I can't relate to at ALL
- Cersei's walk being too long. That was the point as far as I'm concerned. In fact it was the only scene that was paced perfectly.
- The Dothraki coming out of nowhere. This trope is so damn common and it was executed fine. Don't see the problem with it at all.

I where my avatar with pride. Fuck Olly.

Also #teamstannislives #teamjonlives.
What could go wrong?

Yean, aside from obvious and distracting CG Lena head for the nude shots, I thought it was done about as well as it could be done. It needed to be long like that

Wasn't season 1 the same same season where two prostitutes fisted each other for 5 minutes while Littlefinger monologued?

Hey, I'm not saying the show was ever the pinnacle of TV, but I still feel like S1 was the most "complete" in terms of its story focus and the quality of its writing.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yean, aside from obvious and distracting CG Lena head for the nude shots, I thought it was done about as well as it could be done. It needed to be long like that

You thought the CG was obvious? I didn't think it was noticeable, though the hair over her face and tight shots on her head stuff were pretty obvious. I just know Lena Headey doesn't actually have huge tits like that, I found that more distracting haha.

Eh, i don't agree. We've seen plenty of shows with huge ratings fall off cliffs when viewers lose interest. I mean it happens all the time.

I expect the season premier to do gigantic ratings to find out what's up with Jon, and if its confirmed he's dead you'll also probably see a big decline

I'm out as well if Jon is dead for good. There was too much build up for his resurrection for it to be completely thrown away. If Martin thinks it's ok to dick around his readers and give us little to no payoff he's in for a surprise. I won't be buying or watching anything to do with Game of Thrones if he killed Jon off for good. The story would no longer be worthwhile entertainment for me. Life is stressful enough already. I don't read fiction to be emotionally battered and manipulated, I read it to escape and enjoy a good story with a fulfilling payoff.

Barzul

So many fucking cliffhangers

The show doesn't show any hope for the watchers. Something the book does (LSH, Jon uttering Ghost, Northern Conspiracy, Varys's plans, Dorne plans)

This is a very good point. I wonder if it's by design or it's just ineptitude on the part of the show runners.

I am probably a minority among book readers here but I really like the show and think it's doing a pretty reasonable. A few missteps here and there but on the whole it is very good.

However the one thing that disappointed me this season was Jaime's arc. I mean in the books Jaime is one of my favourite characters (hence my username). He has this sort of redemption arc going, he is finally starting to turn himself around and has become wiser and smarter.

In the show he's raped Cersei and now wasted his time in Dorne doing some stupid shit. I think Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is a great actor and perfect for Jaime, it's just a shame to see his arc become so terrible. Especially after how good he was through the first 3-4 seasons of the show.

Can't wait for season six. I blame the weird pacing etc this season solely on how terrible the source material is for books 4 and 5. I expect season 6 to be a return to form. There have been plenty of great moments this season though, especially Hardhome. Arya's arc is also interesting again now. And they've finally seemed to turn around the mess that was Mereen going forward.

I seriously hate GRRM's editor though, feel like what they did with books 4 and 5 was a pretty large scale effort to sabotage the series.

One thing I will say about the Dorne plot is that a lot of its scenes seemed pointless at first. But in hindsight, I think it was just that I didn't really believe the sand snakes would get Myrcella.

Know that we know her fate, the purpose of a lot of those scenes is much more clear. For instance, the Tyene/Bronn jailhouse scene at the time seemed like they just threw it in to meet HBO's TnA quota, but that scene actually was created to explain the poison that Myrcella is killed with.

btrboyev

There is simply no way Jon isn't coming back. They set him up too much and there isn't any male character lead other than Tyrion that is a good guy now other than Bran and who knows what that's about. If Stannis and Jon are truly dead, then as far as I'm concerned we have no more interesting characters or hero's. I'm not a fan of any of the other characters storylines right now. Dannies least of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom