• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unknown Pleasures: What's one Steam game more people should know about?

sheaaaa

Inspired by this great line of Rock Paper Shotgun features, which highlight the best new little-known Steam games every week, what's one Steam game you know about, or have played, and think that more people should really know about?

People bemoan the sheer volume of games that release on Steam each day. I think the more the merrier, but there could really be better highlighting and curation on the Steam store homepage to showcase some of these gems which sink without a trace. So here's an attempt.

===

Super Hydorah (Trailer)

ss_18c50123f26a50c7af83f1222f89c61975f9ffeb.600x338.jpg

ss_f52058e989901ae9e032b800b8d7cf7fd4f15ba6.600x338.jpg

ss_153575ac51f6fac49cc9c719d3bdc32f1ac488b5.600x338.jpg

Developer Locamalito makes 'new-old games' - basically new games in classic arcade styles. After releasing them for free for years, he last year expanded one of his games and put it on Steam (and consoles I believe), making Cursed Castilla (Maldita Castilla EX), essentially a new Ghosts 'n Goblins game.

Just last month, he released Super Hydorah - "an indie shoot’em up that condense the best of the classics of the genre in an intense non-linear gameplay experience". It's a "new classic" horizontal shmup, with branching paths and imaginative levels.

A lot of thought has gone into this, from shooting sounds:

and display options:

to hitboxes:

and movement:

Here's a look at the map:

It just looks a really well-crafted game and I think it's important that creators like Locamalito, plugging away at this favourites from yesterday, get the recognition they deserve.

===

Apple Jack 1&2 (Trailer)

I first played Apple Jack 1&2 on the Xbox Live Indie Games service on X360, and they were a couple of the best games on there. They're platformers that play like a cross between a bit of Super Meat Boy (with the hazards and obstacles you have to overcome) and Super Mario Bros 2 (with the 'step on heads to throw enemies' mechanic), infused with a generosity of ideas. Each level has a different style and objective to overcome, and the game's presented in this bucolic English countryside style that is really charming.

But don't take my word for it - Eurogamer reviewed Apple Jack 2 in 2012 and said:

Apple Jack 2 shares a thirst for invention with its predecessor, and it's this willingness to experiment that propels both games towards the realm of excellence...

There's a level of invention that brings to mind Treasure's Bangai-O, funnily enough - a link that's strengthened by the abundance of fruit that gushes forth when enemies are taken down. String together kills quickly enough and you can kick-start a multiplier, building chains that result in entire orchards spewing forth. The link also comes through in the way Apple Jack plays with scale, taking regular enemies and enlarging them to fill entire screens. If Bangai-O displays a punky aesthetic in its eccentric and energetic level design, then Apple Jack 2 often feels like its folksy flipside.

Apple Jack 2's not without its rough edges; the erratic difficulty level ensures that the game's homespun nature can be as frustrating as it is charming. But such is the generosity of ideas here that it's hard to take offence for too long, and the charm ultimately wins through. The Xbox Live Indie Games channel may not get much love, but forget about all that and simply enjoy Apple Jack 2 for what it is: a smart delight of a game that's one of the very best on the service.

Edge also called Apple Jack 1 "an ideal concoction of teasing challenge and pure frustration" and the second "some of the tautest game design you’re likely to find".

The 2 games sneaked out onto Steam sometime earlier this year and passed me by (and I was keeping an eye out), but here they are, and deserve a much wider audience.

===

Okay, that's it from me right now but I'll look to add more stuff as I find them. Your turn.

Fancolors

Monlith is an incredibly fun roguelite. While not having as many upgrades and weapons as bigger games, it manages to have bosses with fun patterns. It captures the feeling of shmups better than any roguelite out there.

pa22word

Wadjet Eye point'n click games!

Gemini Rue, Technobabylon, Blackwell series, Resonance, Shardlight, Primordia, etc.
All really cool games with awesome art.

wvan13

In my mind I always come back to Gunpoint. Fantastic little game. Always meant to go back and 100% it but never got around to it.

header.jpg

Mario Party-ish. Roam around a board with three other players and either collect stars or win battles (you can fight if you pass someone) to win the game. Super fun and super intense. Great with friends.

This game has been on my mind for the past while. It's not exactly the most polished title, but it features some truly haunting moments that really stuck with me. If you're interested in horror and/or point and clicks, maybe give this one a look. It's not new, but it was added to Steam in the last few years and never had too big of an audience.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is a point-and-click adventure game based upon Harlan Ellison's short story of the same title, co-designed by Ellison in 1995.

The game's story is set in a world where an evil computer named AM has destroyed all of humanity except for five people, whom he has been keeping alive and torturing for the past 109 years. Each survivor has a fatal flaw in their character, and in an attempt to crush their spirits, AM has constructed a metaphorical adventure for each that preys upon their weaknesses.

Woven into the fabric of the story are ethical dilemmas dealing with issues such as insanity, rape, paranoia and genocide.

*description grabbed from Wikipedia, since I'm half asleep at the moment. I'll post something that came out this year when I wake up.

CeePhour

Banned
No question, Tales of Maj'Eyal. An incredible roguelike that is often overlooked due to graphics. Don't do yourself the disservice of not checking it out. Hell, the whole game is free from the website, but DarkGod definitely deserves your beer or twelve.

Paz

Ya'll are probably right that the range of players is definitely large enough that more people should have heard about some of the games listed in this thread, but damn some of these games are at like a million owners and not exactly lingering in obscurity.

My pick would be Expand, a short and sweet semi platformer maze style game with brilliant audio that leaves you feeling in a great place by the time you clear it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/399780/Expand/

Crayon

No question, Tales of Maj'Eyal. An incredible roguelike that is often overlooked due to graphics. Don't do yourself the disservice of not checking it out. Hell, the whole game is free from the website, but DarkGod definitely deserves your beer or twelve.

This game is amazing. Don't be fooled by the complex or arcane look it's actually very easy to play. You can just click go and most anyone whose played a turn based game can jump right in. Sooooo fun.

pa22word

Ya'll are probably right that the range of players is definitely large enough that more people should have heard about some of the games listed in this thread, but damn some of these games are at like a million owners and not exactly lingering in obscurity.

My pick would be Expand, a short and sweet semi platformer maze style game with brilliant audio that leaves you feeling in a great place by the time you clear it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/399780/Expand/

The big issue with steam ownership on smaller games is that while yes a lot of people have the game, very few may have actually played any of it due to humble bundles and dollar bin sales. I mean just look at the Trails in the Sky games for the epitome of this. Something like 500k owners for the first yet like 15% of that actually beat the game and like 10% actually bought the sequel.

Thus while yes, some of these games may be sitting in a ton of library's, they still probably need a little shilling from time to time because very few have likely actually played them at all.

Alastor3

Dark Scavenger is too good.

Sure the graphic are... weird, not super clean but it have a very unique style.

This is an RPG / visual novel that is heavily humoristic, I can't believe how much this game made me smile.

EoK8Wc.jpg

And it's only five dollars for a couple of hours of your afternoon :p

Laiza

Brigador.

Julius_newlight.jpg

touro_newlight.jpg

zollig_newlight.jpg

It's an outrageously good game for how little attention it gets. Fills a niche that I really needed filled. Spectacular stuff. Please take a look. Don't let this dev studio go under!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The House in Fata Morgana - Great characters and gripping story with an unique artstyle and outstanding soundtrack. My favorite Visual Novel by far.

header.jpg

Lexica is a really cool Picross/Sudoku/Scrabble hybrid kind of thing where you start with all the letters you're going to need to fill a crossword, but you don't have any clues. Instead, the letters are locked to their own rows or columns and you have to rearrange them until they fit. You use your understanding of the English language to work out what goes where (e.g. you're not going to have an F after a J, or three of the same letter in a row). According to Steam it took me 24 hours to finish every puzzle, and I loved it. Sometimes it'll use pretty obscure words, like the names of birds you've probably never heard of, but for the most part I found it a really well-designed puzzle game.

JNT

Teleglitch.

Easily the best roguelite game I’ve played, and even one of the better games I’ve played period.

In short, the game is set on a military research station in space where a telepertation experiment has gone wrong. Cyborgs built for war run amok and kill everything while strange black holes slowly eat away at the station.

The game has an amazing gameplay balance that tests your skill in many different ways; calculated strategy, adaptiveness to unforeseen situations, awareness of your surroundings, and twitch shooting. Perfect for Halloween gaming as it one of the most tense and scary games I’ve played, even if it is not outright labelled as horror. I can’t recommend this game enough.

teleglitch_2013-05-03_11-11-52-09.jpg

ss_ae1ddcaa14d69c2c61b6f3f5664973a6a48cabee.1920x1080.jpg

Steam page.

I'm gonna suggest two that people may have on their accounts and haven't played: World of Goo and Gunpoint. Both are puzzle games that sold really well, but surprisingly don't have too many people with time playing it on their accounts.

World of Goo is a great, really simple to pick up and learn puzzle game where you build structures out of goo balls to reach goals. As you progress it tells a really interesting but totally weird story as you try and find out what these goo balls are exactly, and you learn more about the heavily consumerist and practically dystopian society you're playing through. I've adored the game's vibes since day one and it's a style that's still extremely present in the other work by Kyle Gabler with Tomorrow Corporation. Here's a trailer to see what I mean.

Gunpoint is a stealth puzzle platformer. If you aren't already sold, it's got a great story to it as well. I'm a bit more fuzzy on the plot because I've only played this twice as opposed to the dozen times I've beat World of Goo, but needless to say, it's got a lot of espionage, betrayal, and lots of great vibes. The gameplay makes it possibly one of the most satisfying games I've ever played, because from the second you start out, you feel awesome by how mobile you are. By the end of the game, you're a leapfrogging, hacking, sneaking god. After most main missions, you'll be able to upgrade one aspect of yourself, and it adds such a great feeling of progression to it. The biggest downside is how it's only about 2 hours. But the plus side is it has Steam Workshop support and people make their own levels and it gives you so much more to do outside the story. Trailer.

Gunpoint's by Tom Francis, one of the coolest devs on the planet. Gunpoint exceeded his expectations so much that the next game he released, Floating Point, was released for free. That's another one I'd recommend because it's the ultimate chillout game. You just swing around and grab pillars of light and it's relaxing as hell. He just dropped a new game called Heat Signature that I need to pick up but I have a backlog that's killing me.

petran79

Banned
Purring Quest

if you like cats with special needs, this platformer is recommended:

So what happens in the game?

You take on the role of Kimchi the cat, who is on a journey to find his lost human. The main character’s human suffers from a memory disease and he sometimes doesn’t remember where he is, so Kimchi has to go and find or fetch him. On the way, Kimchi will meet some famous Internet cats that will help him on the journey and add a touch of humor. Kimchi will have to use all their feline abilities to go unnoticed and avoid confrontation wherever possible.

Who are some of the Internet famous cats who will also appear in the game?

We can count on Henri Le Chat Noir, Oskar the Blind Cat, Cooper the Photographer Cat, Nala, and Nora the Piano Cat. I want to thank all their humans for their trust and confidence.

120v

seems like nobody ever talks about Escape Goat. first game in years that i could just sit down and play forever, and i'm not even into puzzle platformers

feels like a legit nes/snes game too, if that's your bag. not that tacky pseudo retro feeling most games have now

sheaaaa

seems like nobody ever talks about Escape Goat. first game in years that i could just sit down and play forever, and i'm not even into puzzle platformers

feels like a legit nes/snes game too, if that's your bag. not that tacky pseudo retro feeling most games have now

Good shout, and reminds me that Escape Goat 2 was even better than the first and went really under the radar.

120v

Good shout, and reminds me that Escape Goat 2 was even better than the first and went really under the radar.

yeah second game is great as well and improves it in every way. i'd go as far to say you can just skip straight to that if you don't mind paying a little more

but i bring up the first game since at $5 it's a no brainer. anybody remotely interested should pick it up

One of the best games published by Adult Swim, yet also one of their most underrated. Never quite understood why it didn't take off in the same way a lot of their other games did.

An exceptionally polished precision platformer featuring rocket jumping mechanics instead of a traditional jump button. Ultra difficult (past the first world) and satisfying to learn with a very high skill ceiling and online leaderboards for speedrunners. It's one of the best indies on Steam IMO and for some reason seems to have been completely overlooked (48 reviews) despite being out since September of 2015. It's definitely worth giving a try.

chemicals

This is a great thread. GREAT THREAD!
So many great Steam games. It's legitimately difficult to pick just one.

My pick is Penny Arcade 3 (rain slick precipice of darkness 3). The game is a love letter to 16 bit RPGs. The humor is great and the game is one of the most fun turn-based rpg's I've ever played. Penny Arcade 4 is also an amazing little game, but if I have to pick one - I go with 3.

120v

One of the best games published by Adult Swim, yet also one of their most underrated. Never quite understood why it didn't take off in the same way a lot of their other games did.

it was fairly popular when it came out. i think it just got drowned out soon after with the thousand other roguelike platormers

good thing i'm reminded of it though. been meaning to queue it up for a rainy day

Steamlord

Sylvio is a great, weird, super atmospheric horror game about EVP that feels kind of like something from the PS2 era. It definitely didn't get the love it deserved. There's a sequel coming out this month and I hope it does better.

Knurek

Obviously the best puzzle game on Steam:

The former has DLC packs for DROD 1-3 and 12 official level packs

KonradLaw

Serpent in the Staglands
header.jpg

If you ever wanted Darklands spiritual successor then this is easily the game for you. It's complex, hard, with lots of choices, RTW combat, great story and wonderful world inspired by Transylvanian lore.
Just like Darklands it's not easy game to love. The difficulty can sometimes cause despair, it's not pretty at first glance and doesn't do good job explaining all it's systems. Plus it's not the most polished release. But if you stick with it you will learn to apreciate the effort it requires to really excell and how unique the world is. Even graphics become nicer with time, as the Amiga-inspired stylistics are nice diversion from typical console-styled pixel art.
Sticking with it requires effort, but it is rewarded with one of the greatest RPGs of this decade.

Top Bottom