• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anion

I hope they get sued. No excuses.

Also what kind of dumbass posters are saying that the customer did something illegal? I hope your next flight has you dragged off it as you attempt to tip your fedora out of it.

So, so stupid by the airline. This is a PR desaster, so no matter if it's legal or not, this is gonna cost those fools a fortune. That guy will get a settlement, too, even if it's perfectly legal. United will try to avoid having this case being a headline for months to come at pretty much any cost.

Larogue

6b26ed5368d4ad31725266f9e6494d3f_wtf-meme-gallery-wtf-meme_510-375.jpeg

shira

If they risk it with overbooking then companies should keep raising incentives till volunteers step up.

Using force here is beyond fucked.

Also, do this before people are in the plane

Sunday night flight, probably an inexperienced manager. Couldn't make the call or didn't want to authorize a $2000 cash rebate.

I know for a weekday morning business flight they do not fuck around.

Gattsu25

Banned
What are the subsidiary airlines under United? As someone who flies on a monthly basis I want to make sure I avoid all of them like the plague.

Edit: ^ Shira, while I can understand the inexperienced manager angle even that falls apart when you consider that they are dealing with people and not cattle. They handled this situation like they were dealing with the latter

So, so stupid by the airline. This is a PR desaster, so no matter if it's legal or not, this is gonna cost those fools a fortune. That guy will get a settlement, too, even if it's perfectly legal. United will try to avoid having this case being a headline for months to come at pretty much any cost.

this is whats always funny to me.

Like the head of united didnt come out at say KICK THIS GODDAMN DOCTOR OFF.

Some shitty employees severely and completely fucked up, and the airline is 100% responsible for it.

Reason i say anything is i just feel for the person who is head of PR who at like 1am on a sunday got a call that basically said "SHHHHIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT"

Squalor

What are the subsidiary airlines under United? As someone who flies on a monthly basis I want to make sure I avoid all of them like the plague.

Edit: ^ Shira, while I can understand the inexperienced manager angle even that falls apart when you consider that they are dealing with people and not cattle. They handled this situation like they were dealing with the latter
Every international airline in Star Alliance is affiliated.

The subsidiaries are:
Chelsea Food Services
Covia LLC
Kion de Mexico, S.A. de C.V.
MileagePlus, Inc.
MileagePlus Holdings, LLC
United Aviation Fuels Corporation
United Cogen, Inc.
United Vacations, Inc.
United Ground Express, Inc.

Never understood how the US airlines get away with 'selling' you a seat you might not have. When I was on honeymoon flying from San Francisco to Maui, I was informed that I was put on 'standby' while my wife was not. Fortunately they managed to get us both on the same flight but the whole concept is bizarre especially as someone coming from the EU.
It happens in the EU as well and its actually arguably worse than the US because euro airlines have shit CS and will just bump you off the flight without the compensation you are owed under EU law (which is good in principle but toothless). There are entire companies who dedicate themselves to sueing companies for that (and keeping a cut).

Just check Alitalia and overbooking for a laugh. Their CS line doesn't pick up the phone after two hours of waiting. Their CS email has a full inbox. I told the story to an Italian friend of mine and he laughed at me for expecting anything from Alitalia (I was bumped off a flight and had to miss a day of work the next day)

Nevasleep

This might be the first time I've ever heard of an employee being given such priority over a customer. It's especially baffling given the cost and hassle of flying and the importance of departure/arrival for some people's schedules.

I find it ridiculous that if the employees had to be on the flight, then they should have just stopped four passengers from boarding, instead of letting someone sit on a plane trying to drag them off.

Delta <3

Gattsu25

Banned
Every international airline in Star Alliance is affiliated.

The subsidiaries are:
Chelsea Food Services
Covia LLC
Kion de Mexico, S.A. de C.V.
MileagePlus, Inc.
MileagePlus Holdings, LLC
United Aviation Fuels Corporation
United Cogen, Inc.
United Vacations, Inc.
United Ground Express, Inc.
Thanks!!

Testing the water with the tip of your toe.

There's the real point. Don't bury the lead.

No one's bullying. We just find it hard to believe how anyone could side with the billion-dollar company on this kind of issue.

I literally said that I don't agree with he airline. I just find it to be a bit shitpost'y when people use "defense force lol" instead of actually engaging the poster in substantive debate on the matter.

Overbooking flights is BS and airlines should not be allowed to force you out of a seat that you purchased.

holy fuck what is this? the hunger games??

This is NO way to treat your passengers. I hope he sues United.

and lol GAF being GAF, defense force for everything.

He did act like a baby but honestly why does anyone need to be removed from the plane, couldn't the four passengers that hadn't boarded yet be the four that were forced to change? That's what I find silly. Shit should be first come first serve. If you gotta return employees back for their return trips or whatever that should already be factored in too.
He paid for the seat at that time. They took his money and he acted like a baby? Over booking is a bullshit practice. It's not like the airlines don't get the money because if you don't show you still have to pay.

Podge293

How many people miss bloody flights that it's standard practice to overbook?

I've been on maybe 3 flights in my life that have had no shows and even then it's been 1 person

And yet he was still able to get on the flight in the end. Guess he didn't HAVE to volunteer.

This is disgusting and anyone defending a company for this is moronic. Overbooking does happen but the whole policy exists for them to maximize profits and take a chance of passengers not showing up.

If they bet wrong they should eat the loss and keeping going higher in compensation until someone bites. Not forcibly remove a paying passenger. No matter what that is just not a good look.

Exactly, if they want to gamble to maximise profit then they should also payout when it doesn't go in their favour too.

Keep going up in $100 dollar steps until you get 4 people to accept, also do this BEFORE everyone gets on the flight.

Those defending the airline are you for real? They can't have needed the seats that badly if they allowed him to get back on the flight. They wanted seats to get employees to their destination well that's all on UA and nobody else. If they were that vital to UA they could have rented a taxi, helicopter or private jet to get them to wherever they needed to go but they wanted to do it as cheaply as they possibly could and this is what happens.

Well done Doc I hope he gets paid.

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't understand why the amount of the incentive doesn't just keep going up. No takers at 800? How about $2,000 dollars worth of airline miles. No one at $2,000? $2,500. Eventually SOMEONE will take it.

Love this idea.

If the computer chose me and decided to split my family I would have fought like hell, too.

jabuseika

In no way saying I agree with the airline but the people trying to bully those who disagree with "defense force" bullshit is kind of tacky.

United made the mistake of overbooking.

United puts apparently important employees on overbooked planes.

United refused to offer a better incentive for volunteers to get off.

They escalate, where they put a security team in the situation of using force to remove a customer off the plane, that did nothing wrong.

They let that customer back on the plane.

Why are they defending a corporation that fucked up at multiple levels, and instead blame a passenger that simply wanted to get to his patients.

The practice of overbooking flights needs to be changed,it just causes to many problems.

The idea of increasing the amount paid till someone bites is a good one.Really like this idea if they won't outlaw the practive of overbooking.

The idea that because you bought a ticket you can refuse to abide by the crews command to leave the plane? Laughable.

The doctor is an idiot. NO ONE dictates to the flight crew they aren't leaving. Argue why you need to get to your destination, give them a number to call that proves its an emergency, but once security shows up your done.
The fact he choose to resist them, ridiculous, he should be charged with some sort of criminal mischief(or whatever the legal charge would be) and potentially barred from flying again on United in the future.

Good luck with the lawsuit, they didn't commit a crime, the doctor did.
It was a shitty luck of the draw he was picked to leave, the level of entitlement expressed is astounding.

This kind of responses blow my mind. So airlines lobby lawmakers. Lawmakers create laws that are amoral and unethical and abuse consumers. But because it's law, you are "entitled" if you fucking say no.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Absolutely insane. Company deserves absolute ruination because of it.

Not only is it a poor look at United, but all the individual human beings along the way that didn't think anything about this was out of order until it was too late. If the guy hadn't bled from his mouth a bit, they may still have thought this was totally okay.

Koomaster

I don't understand why they didn't keep upping the price. Eventually it would go high enough someone would jump and volunteer for the extra cash. If the standby crew is this important, pay for them to get there. WHOLE lot better than dragging people off the flight forcibly.

This kind of responses blow my mind. So airlines lobby lawmakers. Lawmakers create laws that are amoral and unethical and abuse consumers. But because it's law, you are "entitled" if you fucking say no.

Airlines should be forced to rely on a sliding scale of vouchers, or if that fails, cash to get someone to volunteer to give up a seat that has been paid for and booked.

People in this country like to act as though they're for the rights of the little guy. But the moment a situation arises that doesn't involve the actual individual, many people will side with the power structure.

Well said. There seems to be many people who will always sympathize with the company and not the customer ever. Think of the airline's troubles. But don't think of the person's.

Squalor

I've been on maybe 3 flights in my life that have had no shows and even then it's been 1 person
They do it because the math is on their side.

The industry has run the numbers and overbooking is still the "best way" to maximize profit, so it's the "best way" to run the business.

Saya

Article says they were law enforcement. I guess we see who they really protect and serve.

United couldn't handle the problem themselves, so they asked the air marshalls to do the dirty work for them of removing the passenger. Never flying United ever.

The practice of overbooking flights needs to be changed,it just causes to many problems.

The idea of increasing the amount paid till someone bites is a good one.Really like this idea if they won't outlaw the practive of overbooking.

The idea that because you bought a ticket you can refuse to abide by the crews command to leave the plane? Laughable.

The doctor is an idiot. NO ONE dictates to the flight crew they aren't leaving. Argue why you need to get to your destination, give them a number to call that proves its an emergency, but once security shows up your done.
The fact he choose to resist them, ridiculous, he should be charged with some sort of criminal mischief(or whatever the legal charge would be) and potentially barred from flying again on United in the future.

It was a shitty luck of the draw he was picked to leave, the level of entitlement expressed is astounding.

level of entitlement?

he bought a ticket so he could go home and help out sick and dying people and the people he bought the ticket from said fuck off we gotta get ours.

come ON

They do it because the math is on their side.

The industry has run the numbers and overbooking is still the "best way" to maximize profit, so it's the "best way" to run the business.

The alternative would be that people eat the entire price of a ticket if they miss or change flights.

Well, aren't they glad. Not only did they completely and utterly embarrass themselves, I'm also very confident that they managed to incur losses well in excess of a very real cash-money-in-hand 800 bucks per person. And that's even before they get their pants sued off (or they pay for a settlement).

Oh ya they're gonna fucking eat it on this no matter what

Even if homeboi don't sue they just took a real bad PR hit

Edit: to the post below me shaddap

mAcOdIn

Are you high? In this context they aren't.
Yes they are. Voluntary in this context means under your own control, not necessarily because you want to but under your own power nonetheless. No volunteers were found, he refused to leave voluntarily and so he was involuntarily removed. Their use of the words are correct.

To everyone else:
_------_----------
And again, I'm not defending United I just think people need to see the logical reactions to their own. That's why I say the doctor was stupid, if it was all because making his appointments was life or death then him being held for a night or ending up in a hospital himself wasn't going to solve shit, it was childish of him to not see that once security was called that this is what would happen. That said I've always said he was right, I got no problem with him suing or people hating on UA or whatever else y'all wanna do.

And I don't consider myself a "tough guy" that's precisely why I think it's important to not escalate situations into things you can't handle.

Anyways, I gotta go to bed now so don't get mad if I don't reply again tonight.

Its more of a question of "why not?"

Airlines are still treated legally like a blossoming business that needs to be protected and given a little business welfare in order to survive

when the truth is its a necessary business for a number of people that can now get away with whatever they want customer service wise cause, what are you gonna do, not fly?

overbooking flights maximizes profits in exchange for pissing a few people off that are gonna have to fly again eventually, and will probably take that airline again if their times/rates work out best most likely, so what do they care.

theres a ton of people in this thread who are "never flying united again". Lets see what happens when united is 300 bucks cheaper and doesnt have a connecting flight

Oh ya they're gonna fucking eat it on this no matter what

Even if homeboi don't sue they just took a real bad PR hit

Does pr matter in an era where people use flight fare websites and just choose the cheapest option? Airlines continue to offer worse service, but consumers seem to be willing to put up with it....

Squalor

The alternative would be that people eat the entire price of a ticket if they miss or change flights.
Meh, the industry is so shitty that most airlines charge you to change or cancel a fight unless it's done twenty-four hours after booking. This generally doesn't apply to first-class tickets, but it's still bullshit.

ItIsOkBro

Yes they are. Voluntary in this context means under your own control, not necessarily because you want to but under your own power nonetheless. No volunteers were found, he refused to leave voluntarily and so he was involuntarily removed. Their use of the words are correct.

To everyone else:
_------_----------
And again, I'm not defending United I just think people need to see the logical reactions to their own. That's why I say the doctor was stupid, if it was all because making his appointments was life or death then him being held for a night or ending up in a hospital himself wasn't going to solve shit, it was childish of him to not see that once security was called that this is what would happen. That said I've always said he was right, I got no problem with him suing or people hating on UA or whatever else y'all wanna do.

And I don't consider myself a "tough guy" that's precisely why I think it's important to not escalate situations into things you can't handle.

Anyways, I gotta go to bed now so don't get mad if I don't reply again tonight.

he's right...but he's childish. and stupid. get some sleep dude you need it.

Are you serious with this shit?

United fucked by up:
Allowing an overbooked flight to be boarded. I've never seen this before because it's meant to be sorted out before anyone gets on.
Not raising the offered price higher to incentivize people get off.
Kicking a paying customer off for a fucking staff member.
Getting police to drag him off by force without doing anything.
A non-apology statement.

If THEY fucked up then THEY should deal with it without effecting paying customers. Put the staff on another airline if they have to. This will create a PR nightmare and will cost them more than $800 that's for sure. Disgusting treatment of customers, incompetently managed, and pathetically dealt with. The staff who caused this should be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom