• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
Well that's not actual reality that's fantasy.
You are legally obligated to get off the plane when directed to by the crew and police.

Honest question. Do you have no sense of decency or morality? Or do you only see logic and reason in what is written on a piece of paper and can't comprehend the grey area of reality on a situational basis beyond the semantics of it all?

Also I'd probably venture a guess that a cause of action against the airline would be something related to the duty of care an airline has to its customers. They may not have done anything to hurt the customer but once he was hurt depending on what if anything the airline did to treat his injuries, that would be an issue too.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
yes most family doctors have appointments ..doesn't mean they couldn't be rescheduled.
there's a difference between that and a doctor that's going to be going into surgery

What the fuck am I reading? Disgusting post

Edit: Every doctors appointment could be life or death. What the fuck do you think you're talking about? You have no clue about his patients whatsoever

NewDust

United is all kinds of wrong, but.... Holy shit those police/security officers. First accidentally knocking someone out, then dragging him of like that, without checking if he needed medical attention. And they weren't even capable of restraining the man after removing him.

What are the chances United's "Randomizer" excludes Business Class, First Class and high level frequent fliers?

1000%?

On a serious note though, these are the kinds of things that would likely be asked for in discovery and depositions. Was randomly picking passengers truly random as the airlines claim or were they discriminatory.

Again just because a law says that airlines have a right to remove passengers for overbooking, doesn't mean that the actions leading up to it or every aspect of how it was carried out would immunize an airline from a civil award. But of course United won't let this get to the discovery phase of a lawsuit unless they want all kinds of dirty shit to come out.

This practice creates so many shitty situations.

Last year I arrived for my flight to discover my aisle seat with extra leg room had been given away and that I had been moved to a window seat near the back of the plane. I explained that I purchased the extra leg room because I have serious back problems and need to stretch out, and that at the window seat, in pain, I might experience a claustrophobic panic attack. They told me in no uncertain terms that I could take the new seat or get bumped to another flight. I needed to get home so I took the seat.

I was told my seat had been changed due to a "mechanical issue." Boarding the plane, I noticed my seat was occupied by a United employee.

As the plane began to taxi, sure enough. Had a total panic attack. Just flipped out. They had to stop the plane. Everyone hates me, makes it worse. They asked the guy they gave my seat to to switch with me so they could take off. They ended up going up and down the aisle just begging everyone to switch with me so I could at least sit on the aisle, asked that guy multiple times and he refused. Eventually found someone.

They never even refunded me for the leg room charge....said they would but never did despite multiple inquiries.

This makes me so upset reading this, they give no shit to paying customers AT. ALL.

Anyone here defending this company or what happened in the video can go on my block list, you don't deserve to be read.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty disgusting seeing the posts defending United in here.

I don't understand what the fuck I'm reading in here. The guy bought a plane ticket and ended up getting physically abused. There's no defence here. I'm shocked anyone would even try

ironcreed

Banned
United is all kinds of wrong, but.... Holy shit those police/security officers. First accidentally knocking someone out, then dragging him of like that, without checking if he needed medical attention. And they weren't even capable of restraining the man after removing him.

We are just consumers to these mega corporations, to be treated and herded like cattle.

wondermega

This is ridiculous, who makes decisions like this in 2017? The Standard Procedure sets a cap at incentivizing customers w rewards to voluntarily giving up seats vs. putting employees on connecting flights instead - to the point where they will violently make a scene/"show off strength?"

Honest question. Do you have no sense of decency or morality? Or do you only see logic and reason in what is written on a piece of paper and can't comprehend the grey area of reality on a situational basis beyond the semantics of it all?

He was asked to get off the plane. The decent thing to do was get off the plane, whether he agreed with the decision or not, if only to not inconvenience the other 100+ people trying to get moving. It's pretty straightforward. Again, shitty of United, but it's their plane.

SaviourMK2

I'd never fly United, and this is most likely not going to convince me to otherwise in the future, but this is not how you handle it. You want a volunteer? You sweeten the pot for giving up your seat.

I fly Southwest and, minus one exception where the entire flight was delayed 5 times before they cancelled, then proceeded to book my day after flight for 4 hours prior to me arriving at the airport) they've been more than generous when it comes to getting someone to give up their seat.

Pineapple

Overselling a plane as usual, and then when no one volunteers to give up their seat for United's shitty offer, they randomly select an individual and send in fucking armed agents to forcibly remove them from the plane, just so one of their own employee's can take his seat?

This pisses me off so much.

marrec

Banned
Alright y'all corporate ballwashers you convinced me, and just to show my solidarity with you I've created a handy dandy list to remind people that they are the shoe and they should be happy being the shoe:

1) Your rights as a citizen end when the rights of corporations begin.
2) Any compensation given to you for your inconvenience should be treated with the respect it deserves as it has touched the hand of your corporate God's you fucking pigs.
3) Chicago isn't a bad place to get your face bashed in, stop insulting Chicago please.
4) All corporations have a 3 step plan to solve problems:
Step 1. Offer paltry compensation
Step 2. Offer slightly less paltry compensation
Step 3. Beat your fuckin' ass for questioning their authority​
5) Remember that without massive corporations capable of calling the police to do be their armed servants, you wouldn't have the nice things you have in your life. You only deserve what they deem you worthy of deserving.
6) Morality = Money

Lifeline

I have a feeling it would have been cheaper to ship the employees down in a private jet, compared the PR shitshow they have to experience now.

Hopefully, this leads to better policies or maybe laws (not gonna happen for the next two years) that give consumers more rights in situations like this.

Sane policy would be to keep raising the leave price till enough space is open.

He was asked to get off the plane. The decent thing to do was get off the plane, whether he agreed with the decision or not, if only to not inconvenience the other 100+ people trying to get moving. It's pretty straightforward. Again, shitty of United, but it's their plane.

It's their plane but they're not offering people flights for free out of the goodness of their hearts.

They could have for less money likely hooked up their "employees" with another flight on another airline

But that would unnecessarily inconvenience their employees. It's much easier to inconvenience a paying customer.

I have so many American friends I don't plan on ever seeing now. I'm sorry, but fuck that shit. I never hear this type of stuff happening in England or Europe, fuck that.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I have so many American friends I don't plan on ever seeing now. I'm sorry, but fuck that shit. I never hear this type of stuff happening in England or Europe, fuck that.

Yes, I definitely would never visit a country where this happened. I mean, the likelihood of it happening to you is near 100%, so why bother.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Absolutely not. He deserved to be on that plane as much as anyone else. It's not his problem. He is just a regular customer like anyone else! There's no way to put the blame on him. It was United that caused the situation he bears no responsibility for it. Let alone being forced to suffer physical abuse.

Talk about fucking victim blaming. He's just the same as every else on the fucking plane.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Of coarse I do. I already said the situation was Unit ed's fault and it was poorly handled and the practice over overbooking should be abolished.

However none of that absolves how this man chose to act when confronted with this shitty situation. He chose to act the way he did and he's partially responsible for the end results.

If in the end its found that he did offer compelling proof of his urgency than I would support his right to sue them for something that endangered lives.

However he doesn't have the right to force them allow him to stay on the flight. He just doesn't.

Apparently if you buy something from my business - the transaction has been made in the form of you making payment - I can refuse to carry through on the exchange of goods on my end, and can kick your ass in the process.

It takes some kind of gymnastics to defend United here.

ironcreed

Banned

And he did nothing that warranted him getting off the plane, let alone being manhandled due to the airline's own mistakes. I also bet my bottom dollar that nearly every other passenger would take his side, rather than feeling inconvenienced by him. He is about to become a rich man over this fuck up as well, so there goes those that.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Of coarse I do. I already said the situation was Unit ed's fault and it was poorly handled and the practice over overbooking should be abolished.

However none of that absolves how this man chose to act when confronted with this shitty situation. He chose to act the way he did and he's partially responsible for the end results.

If in the end its found that he did offer compelling proof of his urgency than I would support his right to sue them for something that endangered lives.

However he doesn't have the right to force them allow him to stay on the flight. He just doesn't.

HE. IS. NOT. RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF OTHERS. Full fucking stop

United overbooked the plane. It is their responsibility to fix the problem. The fucking end

Nah, the way this dude reacted isn't the problem. It would be much better if everyone did the same. If United knew they could count on having to drag someone bodily off the plane every time they fucked up this way, they'd stop fucking up immediately. Dude is the hero we need.

nelchaar

They could have probably bumped the deboarding offer to $1500 and got someone to give up their seat. Instead, they will probably end up paying tons more than that to handle this PR nightmare, on top of the likely law suit and potential settlement.

Yes, I definitely would never visit a country where this happened. I mean, the likelihood of it happening to you is near 100%, so why bother.

Of course someone pulls this, it's not about the probability of it happening to me, it's about the fact it actually happens to people, and now with this shit about having to give up personal information, passwords and other stuff to enter the country? Sure.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
HE. IS. NOT. RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF OTHERS. Full fucking stop

United overbooked the plane. It is their responsibility to fix the problem. The fucking end
they did fixing it by asking him to get off their plane he refused HE. IS. RESPONSIBLE. FOR. THAT. CHOICE.

antibolo

Banned

Uh last I checked United doesn't have a monopoly on flights to and from the US.

With that said there are other reasons not to visit the US right now.

Matt

Of course someone pulls this, it's not about the probability of it happening to me, it's about the fact it actually happens to people, and now with this shit about having to give up personal information, passwords and other stuff to enter the country? Sure.
Eh, overbooking happens on basically every airline everywhere. I wonder what would have happened if this same guy was in this same situation in Rome, and not Chicago.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Nah, the way this dude reacted isn't the problem. It would be much better if everyone did the same. If United knew they could count on having to drag someone bodily off the plane every time they fucked up this way, they'd stop fucking up immediately. Dude is the hero we need.

yes law and order ON A FUCKING AIRPLANE should be decided by consensus! LOL WTF

Apparently if you buy something from my business - the transaction has been made in the form of you making payment - I can refuse to carry through on the exchange of goods on my end, and can kick your ass in the process.

It takes some kind of gymnastics to defend United here.

The crazier thing is that our laws allow this when it comes to airlines because they pour millions if not billions into lobbyists to push these kinds of ridiculous laws through.

Eh, overbooking happens on basically every airline everywhere. I wonder what would have happened if this same guy was in this same situation in Rome, and not Chicago.

This is a false statement. US law is not the law everywhere in the world. In countries where the airlines are not protected like they are typically in western countries, they don't overbook like this. Even when there are laws regarding the removal of passengers due to overbooking, the restitution airlines need to give may be more harsh leading to less overbooking as well.

GiJoccin

why do you keep defending this? you know that there are those rules in place that state that you have to comply with the crew for a reason, but this is an abuse of those rules, and not in the spirit of those rules, right? like, this particular situation is not why those rules were put in place. is that really your only reason for your stance? that he's not 'following the rule of law'

Nafai1123

Banned

Good to know that airlines have the right to completely fuck up my life if they want to. Can't get back to work and lose my job? Well that's my own fault I guess for thinking that a fucking commercial airline has some responsibility to it's customers and their travel requirements.

Audioboxer

What?

oDguSSj.png

More @ https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Re...our-rights-when-you-are-bumped-from-a-flight/

Some quick Google searches

http://www.independent.co.uk/news-1...thousands-and-flouting-eu-rules-10407684.html

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/16/british-airways-overbooked-flight-no-compensation

Happens in the EU/UK too, you just don't hear about it as 99% of it doesn't go viral due to people being dragged off flights by force.

However none of that absolves how this man chose to act when confronted with this shitty situation. He chose to act the way he did and he's partially responsible for the end results..

Being a doctor and requiring to see patients the next day, some possibly time sensitive or life threatening, who have taken off work and other commitments to get there. I mean, why wouldn't he take an $800 voucher over the lives of the people he's sworn a duty to care for? That deserves to have his face smashed in obviously.

You need to just stop.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
they did fixing it by asking him to get off their plane he refused HE. IS. RESPONSIBLE. FOR. THAT. CHOICE.

It's not a choice if they are forcing him? I don't understand if you're serious. No, it isn't a 'choice' when they literately physically abuse you

He didn't choose to overbook the flight. United tried to make it his problem but it's not. It's only theirs.

Jesus, if I came at you and said 'do what I say or I'll physically abuse you' would you respond 'oh sure whatever you say sir! It would be my fault if I got physically abused right now!'?

Think about what you're defending. It's insane

And yet nothing on there talks about kicking the shit out of a passenger.

O_Atoll

Wow there are actually people in here defending the company? He paid for his seat like everyone else. How about United not overbook so this won't happen?

Cels

i thought United got kind of a bad beat with the leggings thing, their PR fucked up with the whole flying on the employee passes thing

but this...there is no defending this.

ironcreed

Banned

So he is to blame for being manhandled because he did not want to give up his seat due to the airline's own fuck up? He committed no crime, nor was he a suspect. I don't give a damn what their 'policy' dictates. It's wrong.

What should have happened is that they took accountability for their own mistakes and resolved this by other means without removing paying customers off the plane with threat of force. But that would be too reasonable, apparently.

louiedog

I started looking for a new credit card yesterday and it wasn't at the top of my list, but a United card was in the consideration. Because of where about half of my flights go United is my only option even though they wouldn't otherwise be my first choice. Fuck it, there's no way now. I'll still have to begrudgingly fly them but I'm not going to get the card and put myself in a position where it starts to make sense to choose them for other destinations as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom